Wargame: Red Dragon

Talk about video games here
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Wargame: Red Dragon

Post by leibniz » #8910

Anyone else playing this?

I bought this recently. Expected it to be hard, but it still surprised me, there is lots of stuff going on.
Destruction seems easier than conquest.
Didnt play too much though, I've been busy.

Is there a way to git gud? I cant really find lobbies for beginners.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: Wargame: Red Dragon

Post by ColonicAcid » #28073

I got this as well. Like 4 months after the Op but whatever lmao.
I'm waiting for the Panzer Prince of Wuttenburg to teach me but soon I'll be the best damn cold war commander this side of the west has seen just you wait.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #28085

I've played European Escalation and I want Red Dragon.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Snake2512
Byond Username: Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » #28137

leibniz wrote:Anyone else playing this?

I bought this recently. Expected it to be hard, but it still surprised me, there is lots of stuff going on.
Destruction seems easier than conquest.
Didnt play too much though, I've been busy.

Is there a way to git gud? I cant really find lobbies for beginners.
Best way to get good is to grab Claudio and have you two blokes flog it out with me.

Fight people who are better than you, that is how you get good. Chuck us a steam name and ill help you out.
4:08 PM - Maccus: you touched me as a kid remember
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #234377

mememememeemeememe

serbians are fucking stupid in terms of anti air.

they are literally the best anti air nation... THE BEST ANTI AIR NATION ARE THE SERBS.

so why the FUCK did good old bill clinton manage to carpet bomb the shit out of serbia uh???
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #234378

That's because they shot down F-117 that one time.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #234444

i just fuck about in singleplayer and then go and get myself ruined in multiplayer lobbies cause I don't know jack shit

edit
just realized i'm a dumbass and this was a fuckin necro
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #234589

Lumbermancer wrote:That's because they shot down F-117 that one time.
Its funny reading up about the conflict and knowing all the impressive stuff their SAM crews managed but then when it comes to their airpower it was almost repeatedly something like "The mig-29s deployed were either shot down by NATO fighters (and possibly friendly fire by AA forces) or returned to base due to severe malfunctions (mostly the latter)"
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #234615

Is this game still shit? Because like it was so shit when it came out.

Arty spam and a lack of a sensor system for planes/SAMs was cancer.

Single player was alright I guess.
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #234617

Bolien wrote:Is this game still shit? Because like it was so shit when it came out.

Arty spam and a lack of a sensor system for planes/SAMs was cancer.

Single player was alright I guess.
The main problem the game currently has is that Israel is fucking overpowered, but other than that its fine. Arty spam is only a problem if you play the scrub mode (destruction) IDK what you mean about a lack of a sensor system though.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #234619

I´ve got this and suck at it.
Not a huge suck, but still enough to fail pretty often

It's really not that hard, there's a lot of tricks to learn and most of my trouble is wrestling with the interface and reaction times.
Also fuck Israel

Game is pretty good. Bit expensive maybe but it works well enough. Kinda simplistic for my tastes but still decent
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #234622

I'm referring to no real modeled sensors in terms of ECW and ECM.
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #234699

Bolien wrote:I'm referring to no real modeled sensors in terms of ECW and ECM.
Oh right ECM is just a debuff to AA accuracy that planes can have, sorta like how a vehicle that is classed as Small is harder to hit (though ecm can vary much more wildly in effectiveness) in addition, some SEAD aircraft have modest stealth ratings.

e:
[youtube]_fUkGFEvVr0[/youtube]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #234912

""""""""""""""""""""modern combat game"""""""""""""""

>NO SENSOR MODELLING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO MODEL AIR COMBAT PAST ONE NINE SIX ZERO YEARS WITHOUT A SENSOR MODEL HOLY SHIT FUCK EUGEN STUDIO OF FUCKING IDIOTS

>NAVAL COMBAT
>A GAME DICTATED BY OVER-THE-HORIZON SENSORS
>NO SENSORS

FOR
WHAT
PURPOSE
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #234913

Cik wrote:""""""""""""""""""""modern combat game"""""""""""""""

>NO SENSOR MODELLING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO MODEL AIR COMBAT PAST ONE NINE SIX ZERO YEARS WITHOUT A SENSOR MODEL HOLY SHIT FUCK EUGEN STUDIO OF FUCKING IDIOTS

>NAVAL COMBAT
>A GAME DICTATED BY OVER-THE-HORIZON SENSORS
>NO SENSORS

FOR
WHAT
PURPOSE
Naval was a mistake and I'm not sure how you'd work "realistic" sensor systems into a RTS of this type without making it terrible. While Wargame certainly has MORE "realism" than many other RTS games it isn't a sim like those Combat Mission games.

For instance, and I'm surprised none of the people wanting more sensor simulation haven't noticed this, is that cluster munitions ingame are all of the AP HEAT variety and cannot harm infantry for balance purposes, and thermobaric weapons are also represented as HE bombs with the NAPALM attribute. So instead for air sensor modeling you get a flat Air Detection stat for each plane and an Air Detection stat for mobile AA units and radar based AA can be targeted by SEAD planes with anti-radiation missiles but you can avoid this by turning the radar off until you're ready to fire like in real life.

Naval combat however was just a mistake and doesn't even work on a gameplay level for various reasons, which is why nobody plays with naval enabled.
Cik

Post by Cik » #234916

i could think of a dozen ways to implement sensors in a game of this type, half of which are probably less unwieldy than the way they are implemented already

also >aircraft >no altitude simulation
>SAS with blowpipes shooting down nighthawks

lmao wut

god why this game is a sin against warfare

the worst part is, i could actually like it if it did a decent job of being balanced, but as it is (at least, last time i played) the balance was ATROCIOUS PRIMARILY BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF SENSORS

>30 a-4 skyhawks everywhere because they outnumber the missiles of the """""""SAMs""""""" you can use in this game, attacking things with PINPOINT ACCURACY WITH ZERO PERCENT CHANCE OF FRIENDLY FIRE

>said skyhawks can ACTUALLY FIND THEIR TARGET BECAUSE THERE IS SOME SORT OF RIDICULOUS PANOPTICON DATALINK THAT SOMEHOW WORKS ON SOMETHING WITH 1960s TECH

>lowtech > hightech because hightech PAYS FOR THINGS THAT AREN'T EVEN MODELLED

RE
XSI

Post by XSI » #234920

Yeah, it really is a game

And with it come the flaws of shit balancing
It's still fun, but lets be entirely honest here. If you take it as a simulator you're not going to enjoy yourself
Cik

Post by Cik » #234928

>patriot system is a standalone TEL

it just launches missiles without a radar

anyway yeah i complain mostly for show i got over the fact that it was going to be dumber and dumber as it went along and they would never bother to fix any of the game's growing systemic problems.
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #234936

Cik wrote:i could think of a dozen ways to implement sensors in a game of this type, half of which are probably less unwieldy than the way they are implemented already

also >aircraft >no altitude simulation
>SAS with blowpipes shooting down nighthawks

lmao wut

god why this game is a sin against warfare

the worst part is, i could actually like it if it did a decent job of being balanced, but as it is (at least, last time i played) the balance was ATROCIOUS PRIMARILY BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF SENSORS

>30 a-4 skyhawks everywhere because they outnumber the missiles of the """""""SAMs""""""" you can use in this game, attacking things with PINPOINT ACCURACY WITH ZERO PERCENT CHANCE OF FRIENDLY FIRE

>said skyhawks can ACTUALLY FIND THEIR TARGET BECAUSE THERE IS SOME SORT OF RIDICULOUS PANOPTICON DATALINK THAT SOMEHOW WORKS ON SOMETHING WITH 1960s TECH

>lowtech > hightech because hightech PAYS FOR THINGS THAT AREN'T EVEN MODELLED

RE
Fun fact: Autoloaders are modeled (anything tank with a 10 round per minute rate of fire or higher) in that such tanks do not receive morale penalties to rate of fire. A high end units are actually good. If you want to talk about something really weird, but I guess somewhat sensible in a way, its how infantry are way better "meatshields" than the apcs they rode in on, since the average tank gun does 3/4 HE damage and the average squad has 10 men(health), but anything with a high AP value will instantly kill a lightly armored vehicle.

In a way this makes sense, you wouldn't want a BMP to take a LAW to the side right off the bat, leaving your motostrelki squad without fire support, you'd want the squad to keep the enemy infantry out of LAW range of it so that it can provide fire support. Lowtech>Hightech only really happens in cases like the video I posted where a gang of crappy tanks (or in this case, Stugs) get in real close to a superior tank and through combined firepower/range bonuses to kinetic AP. The biggest problem from a gameplay+"realism" standpoint imo is how two APCs with automatic grenade launchers can stunlock (and in the process, chip away at it and inflict crits that do everything from lower accuracy to blowing up all the ammo and inflicting heavy damage) a heavy tank until they're out of ammo.

Also the SAS get stingers, and the only way you're getting that many skyhawks is if you were like playing 10v10 and everyone on your team quit.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #235107

Planes were a mistake. So were ships. European Escalation was the best.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cik

Post by Cik » #235135

planes are fine, but they need semi-realistic limitations and strengths.

the whole fucking problem with them is that they are extraordinarily strong pinpoint accurate and can concentrate 500 points of force on the map at any point

meaning flanking maneuvers or breakthroughs are fucking impossible because >lolplanes fuck you

if there was anything resembling radar / ground mapping radar / limitations, talk-on limitations, ToT limitations, or realistic weapon gimbal limits this would vanish

it's the same core problem as artillery; enormous force concentration ability without ANY OF THE REAL LIFE LIMITATIONS

no wonder the game is a aircraft swarm/artillery city when none of this shit is modelled, it's like allowing tanks to shoot through hills, obviously it's going to cause problems.
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #235140

Lumbermancer wrote:Planes were a mistake. So were ships. European Escalation was the best.
Planes are good. Breakthroughs and whatnot are totally possible. Planes can only target ground units that your other ground units see, so flanking is possible. It only turns into people turtling and exchanging arty/bombs when its Destruction mode because nobody wants to risk any units because any unit lost adds to the opponent's score. In Conquest, the true mode, this problem vanishes as its all about taking control of the map.
XSI

Post by XSI » #235154

>Not playing total destruction where you need to either conquer the entire map or literally destroy every single unit the opponent has