Dwarf Fortress: Travelling Bar Brawler edition

Talk about video games here
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Dwarf Fortress: Travelling Bar Brawler edition

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #496545

Bottom post of the previous page:

XSI wrote:Catching GCS is easy these days
Just put some cage traps in the caves and put an animal on a chain behind it. The only bad thing is fucking shitloads of troglodytes taking up your cages
But then you can empty those into your barracks while your dwarves are sparring and they'll be live training for your soldiers
Even more fun is the guardian system i've built up for myself. In key areas away from barracks training zones (because military dwarves get ambliviently aggro'd) enclose a 3x3 building open to one side, and a artifact or masterful steel chain (strength is key, modded materials would be better) and prop up a captured megabeast on a chain in the centre of it, weapon traps should be built just out of reach on the open side.

Providing monster doesn't rip off the chain when aggro'd (which i've had happen which is why i really recommend strength and or artifact), people and creatures going into melee have to step over the weapon traps and get injured dodging about or entering forced close combat with the monster and it serves as bait. Right now i have a giant guarding one of my fortress entrances
Spoiler:
As to trogg problems, you can load all your troggs into one cage if you don't feel like throwing them to dwarves for practice and then dump the cage into a atom crusher to crush all the troggs at once as it'll ignore normal bridge crushing restrictions when the cage is used, works well for invaders when you've stripped them of valuables rather than spending dwarf power to eliminate them all one by one in live training or pitting to their supposed deaths.

Spoiler:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #496563

Your military dwarves train better on live targets, is why I suggest the trogs
You can always dump them in magma if you want to get rid of them too.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #503461

Just in, petting your goodest boys soon.

Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #503467

And deadest boys
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #537936

New version's out, enjoy your bugs.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #537975

I killed the previous king
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #538054

Dwarves can now host TED talks to teach each other skills and keep away rust without actually queuing up the job when they upgrade their guild hall after getting 10 members.

Courtesy of a very nice member of a discord community im in.
Spoiler:
Enclosed we see the recreational CBT seminar
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #545498

Weewoo tator dorfs
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #545508

Dwarves don't poison other dwarves anymore, they scope out the needs of who hasnt drunk by smelling their breath (not actually but close enough) and then the tavern keeper will serve them and visiting guests wine.

Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #550070

Bartenders just enforce the 3 drink minimum rule
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #551519

looks neat

aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #551558

that tileset looks really good. i could never force myself to learn this game because of shitbrain + a lack of patience
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #551570

Yeah but see, graphics are the least of DF's problems. Primary one being archaic interface design, and I don't mean keyboard and lack of mouse, but rather problems stemming from development process, like inability to resize stockpiles my pet peeve.
This release won't change a thing.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #551572

Is this in preparation for the Steam release? Getting it pretty and looking like Rimworld for the normies?
NSFW:

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #551573

Yes this is the "premium" Steam version. I'm not sure if they will change the interface, but I doubt it. It would require too deep of a rework from ground up.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #552512

Lumbermancer wrote:Yes this is the "premium" Steam version. I'm not sure if they will change the interface, but I doubt it. It would require too deep of a rework from ground up.
Yes and TWBT is coming as standard for a aerial view of depth and multiple tiles at once, if you wanted to watch a troll fall into your spikepit of doom.

Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #554433

Why am I incapable of making simple, functional forts? I much prefer above ground forts, even though they technically require a lot more time and effort. Even when I do dig underground, I end up carving out entire buildings from the top down, which looks cool, but takes even more effort than just simple construction.

How I build above ground:
Spoiler:
1. Build first floor, staircase leading up to roof, walls.
2. Build second floor (if needed), walls
3. Build ramps/walls for roof. This becomes complicated with larger structures.
4. Place furniture, place glass windows for nicer structures.
How I build below ground:
Spoiler:
1. Dig out "top floor". This floor will consist of flat roofs only.
2. From the top floor, channel out roads that lead between buildings, houses, structures.
3. From the lower floors, dig out interiors for every structure.
4. Place furniture, smooth and carve for nicer structures.
Sometimes, I am possessed by the urge to assign specific workshops for individual dwarves. These workshops are typically located on the main floor or basement of their house, and assigned to be used by them only.

I just retired an underground fort and I'm starting an above ground fort. Might post screenshots if I end up pleased with the result.
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #554466

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:Yes this is the "premium" Steam version. I'm not sure if they will change the interface, but I doubt it. It would require too deep of a rework from ground up.
Yes and TWBT is coming as standard for a aerial view of depth and multiple tiles at once, if you wanted to watch a troll fall into your spikepit of doom.
But does it allow me to resize stockpile?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #554648

Farquaar wrote:Why am I incapable of making simple, functional forts? I much prefer above ground forts, even though they technically require a lot more time and effort. Even when I do dig underground, I end up carving out entire buildings from the top down, which looks cool, but takes even more effort than just simple construction.

How I build above ground:
Spoiler:
1. Build first floor, staircase leading up to roof, walls.
2. Build second floor (if needed), walls
3. Build ramps/walls for roof. This becomes complicated with larger structures.
4. Place furniture, place glass windows for nicer structures.
How I build below ground:
Spoiler:
1. Dig out "top floor". This floor will consist of flat roofs only.
2. From the top floor, channel out roads that lead between buildings, houses, structures.
3. From the lower floors, dig out interiors for every structure.
4. Place furniture, smooth and carve for nicer structures.
Sometimes, I am possessed by the urge to assign specific workshops for individual dwarves. These workshops are typically located on the main floor or basement of their house, and assigned to be used by them only.

I just retired an underground fort and I'm starting an above ground fort. Might post screenshots if I end up pleased with the result.
DF doesn't work on aesthetic complacency (in that if it looks good, it works good), with some experience building my big dwarven tower in masterwork modification structures, its more efficient to use walls to underly your floors , and this is a monotonous bitch laborious activity to do and source the bricks but it works out great as every single floorspace is not a blocked constructed floor. It is recommended you put this on the 1st ground floor so that the building's 1'st floor is actually elevated off the ground.

1 high walls wil not stop invaders, they can climb especially tenacious zombies who wont tire. I recommend 3 or a overhang.

If you must actually put stuff touching the ground on the same plane, use 2x2 walls in the corners, as they give significantly more structural strength and you'll almost never have to worry about building accidents and you can put walls on these corners. Seperate your up-stairs from down-stairs & pre-plan where you're going to place them by leaving empty space holes as floors will block it and waste time.

Spoiler:
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #555240

I still haven't given up on old school masterwork df (right before the update that made trees multi tile structures) are there actually really good new features now?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
keluandrie
Byond Username: Keluandrie

Post by keluandrie » #555741

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:I still haven't given up on old school masterwork df (right before the update that made trees multi tile structures) are there actually really good new features now?
I did a run a few months ago, I don't know how masterwork worked back then. But some of my favorite highlights were the expanded metallurgy system, playing a goddamn orc and the academies. Top left of this pic is a set of two blast furnaces and two ore crushers, which isn't close to the end of what it ended up being but I don't have another screenshot.

https://imgur.com/QbzPDRq

edit: and balrogs
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #555823

The guy who upkeeps the masterwork mod is A) working with another guy on the graphics of the steamgame and B) will likely be the first to put up masterwork as a dedicated steam workshop object.

Orcs are fun, they have nice fun little raiding party mechanics to squirrel away inside a enormous airship workshops on pretend adventures. They're naturally quite strong so a ''actual'' raiding party on the later version of DF (still waiting to jump to 47.+ on account of it being a relatively unstable first few versions but more 44.12) they perform quite well.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #558104

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #558115

Lumbermancer wrote:Image
Hyped
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #561106

Neat. This goes byond ye run of the mill tileset.
Spoiler:

Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #565041

This looks h*lla sweet
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #590886

Just experienced a tantrum spiral/loyalty cascade in my fort the other day. Been playing for years, and it's never happened to me before.

It all starts with one tantrum in the central stairwell. Next thing you know, every dorf and his pet goose is locked in a fight to the death. The hospitals were crowded with maimed cripples, while mangled corpses of tourists rotted in the common areas. An acute soap shortage resulted in a lethal infection in my favourite baron's left leg. I ended up burying and memorializing over 40 dorfs before I just retired the fort. I was too soft-hearted to see the massacre through to the end.
► Show Spoiler
legality
Byond Username: Legality

Post by legality » #590890

Farquaar wrote:Just experienced a tantrum spiral/loyalty cascade in my fort the other day. Been playing for years, and it's never happened to me before.

It all starts with one tantrum in the central stairwell. Next thing you know, every dorf and his pet goose is locked in a fight to the death. The hospitals were crowded with maimed cripples, while mangled corpses of tourists rotted in the common areas. An acute soap shortage resulted in a lethal infection in my favourite baron's left leg. I ended up burying and memorializing over 40 dorfs before I just retired the fort. I was too soft-hearted to see the massacre through to the end.
your mistake was allowing a goose to live
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590893

I never got into this despite trying to a few times and I've always regretted it
NSFW:

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #590925

This is the tutorial series that got me into DF.

Though I am by no means an expert, I don't think I ever got pop higher than 50-60, before I always stopped playing. Started new games quite a few times though.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #590952

legality wrote:your mistake was allowing a goose to live
In hindsight, there were a number of mistakes.
For one, I set up a non-denominational shrine outdoors. This resulted in most of my dorfs receiving psychological scarring from being caught in the rain whenever they went out to pray.

Two, there seems to have been a stockpiling issue that resulted in my dining halls/taverns not holding enough booze and prepared meals. A lot of dorfs would instead opt to drink from the river, from the food stockpile (no goblets) or raw food fresh from the farms. The result was an unhappy fort, with around 10 very, very unhappy dorfs. These unhappy dorfs would frequently slip into depression, drunken stupors, and occasionally tantrums.

Finally, my fort had an overly centralized transportation network. Though I tried my best to add auxilliary stairways where possible, most traffic was crowded around a large central stairway. My fortress was a powder keg ready to blow.
cacogen wrote:I never got into this despite trying to a few times and I've always regretted it
Youtube tutorials are a good start. The tutorials I started with are outdated at this point (Youtuber named Quill18) but there are newer tutorials out there. The wiki is your friend, but it can be hard to use without a basic understanding of the game.

Also, you 100% want the Lazy Newb Pack. It comes with a ton of utilities that I could never play DF without, like Dwarf Therapist and Legendsviewer. Dwarf Therapist, I would argue, is absolutely essential if you plan on playing the game for more than 10 minutes.
► Show Spoiler
Bigmaneatchip555
Byond Username: Bigmaneatchip555

Post by Bigmaneatchip555 » #619096

Lets play some fuckin Dwarf fortress!!!! , here's one of my massive piles from the quarry i had running from previous embark; Man is it daunting to play the game due to forgetting your train of thought and begrudgingly hitting the load button instead of restart and embark, But its so rewarding farming chalk masterwork furniture for nobles and tetrahedrites for copper bars and silver coins i have a similar setup every embark for !!Fun!! currently my goal atm is to make at least 1 dwarf happy and learn how to efficiently think and design,

dwarf therapist
Git gud newb
Attachments
lumberyardoffices.PNG
PM ME SILLY MEMES?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #660466

I gotta say that I'm kind of disappointed with the Steam DF release. Don't get me wrong, it looks gorgeous. The soundtrack is solid, especially the remixes of the classic themes. But the new control system (muh muscle memory reeee), the absence of fairly important features (i.e. closing doors to animals), the clunky implementation of new QoL features (i.e. the labors menu), and the obtuse new UI (why are announcements so tiny?) makes this release really weak.

I think I'll stick with normal DF until things improve.
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #660936

Farquaar wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:14 am I gotta say that I'm kind of disappointed with the Steam DF release. Don't get me wrong, it looks gorgeous. The soundtrack is solid, especially the remixes of the classic themes. But the new control system (muh muscle memory reeee), the absence of fairly important features (i.e. closing doors to animals), the clunky implementation of new QoL features (i.e. the labors menu), and the obtuse new UI (why are announcements so tiny?) makes this release really weak.

don't be stuck in the past old man

new release is fantastic

turn off cavern invaders
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #660937

Kendrickorium wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:29 pm
Farquaar wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:14 am I gotta say that I'm kind of disappointed with the Steam DF release. Don't get me wrong, it looks gorgeous. The soundtrack is solid, especially the remixes of the classic themes. But the new control system (muh muscle memory reeee), the absence of fairly important features (i.e. closing doors to animals), the clunky implementation of new QoL features (i.e. the labors menu), and the obtuse new UI (why are announcements so tiny?) makes this release really weak.

new release is fantastic

turn off cavern invaders
I mean Toady recently said he was going to add more keyboard support for players who prefer old DF, so I'll probably get to stay in my old ways once that's implemented.

Also, is there any way to fix notifications so that the game actually tells me when a dwarf it taken by a strange mood? I've lost two dwarves to this already.
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #660938

Farquaar wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:29 pm

new release is fantastic

turn off cavern invaders
I mean Toady recently said he was going to add more keyboard support for players who prefer old DF, so I'll probably get to stay in my old ways once that's implemented.

Also, is there any way to fix notifications so that the game actually tells me when a dwarf it taken by a strange mood? I've lost two dwarves to this already.
either pay attention to your announcements or edit the INI, you can choose which messages pause the game or show in a black box
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #661147

Here are some screenshots of my first Steam DF Fort before I retire it. Note that basically everything is built above ground. Nearly every dwarf with a house has his own bedroom, dining room, and workshop (in the basement). Furniture, food, and finished good storage is mostly underground as well, to discourage thievery.

Overview of the Town
Highlights include the Craftsdwarf Guild (Left), Metalsmith Guild (North-West), Local Inn "The Lemon of Crafts" (Centre-East), Public Park (Centre-West), Public Library (South-West), and Militia Fort (South)
► Show Spoiler
The Abbey of Bronze
Temple Complex of the Sienna Doctrine dedicated to Zanor Minecho, god of Mountains and Caverns. The hatch leads to the tomb complex and mines, nothing special aside from some aquifers spewing out water.
► Show Spoiler
North of the River
Rural. Farmers gather honey and harvest crops. Butchers and fishers do their gutting here. The Farmer Guild (North) has a green glass roof that isn't shown.
► Show Spoiler
If I do another above ground fort (which I intend to), I'm going to use my tried and true method of constructing a secure castle first. Right now, the town has pitiful defenses due to its proximity to the river, which is fine for now but prevents me from making cool military installations. I'll probably have a bigger focus on pottery for my starting dwarves as well, since clay bricks are a fantastic building material in forests where charcoal is easy to manufacture (much easier to automate than quarries)
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #661474

look upon this dwarf and pity him,

for he thinketh himself human
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #661478

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:08 am look upon this dwarf and pity him,

for he thinketh himself human
Not my fault they made the overworld this pretty in the Steam release
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #661693

PSA: There's a beta test Dwarf Therapist release for Steam DF if you, like me, hate the new labor assigning system.
https://github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwar ... 0.50-test1
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #663091

A story in three parts. I call it: Load-Bearing Mushrooms
Load-Bearing Shrooms.png
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #663324

There's an alpha version of DFHack that is compatible with 50, man I forgot how fun it is to fuck around with the pieces of this game.

I tinkered with it enough to make citizens out of a bunch of rat people/olm people/snake people/etc. The bat people keep getting drunk and hanging out in weird places because they can fly.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #664216

XSI wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:23 am Humans cant handle the dwarven ales
That's of course due to the enlarged dwarven livers made for dwarven alcohol.

Also also also, my ckey was a randomly generated dorf name. (Thunderbunch, the first name is just special)
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here.
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #664255

Farquaar wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 pm Also, is there any way to fix notifications so that the game actually tells me when a dwarf it taken by a strange mood? I've lost two dwarves to this already.
It already makes a shitton of noise and gives you an event marker for each stage (taken, claiming, working)