Dwarf Fortress: Travelling Bar Brawler edition

Talk about video games here
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Re: Dwarf Fortress: Travelling Bar Brawler edition

Post by srifenbyxp » #146769

Bottom post of the previous page:

I used to stream dworf, but shit like that does float unless your a youtuber or have more than one voice persons talking
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #147176

In a brazen act of defiance, a group of dwarven rangers calling themselves the executioners of evil have founded a war fortress amidst the goblin holdings in a sinister biome along the coast. Suck it greenskins

EDIT: God damn dude i am getting like 15 fps in a brand new fort, what the shit is going on?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #147179

DF just updated http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Some zombie nerfs and buffs. Mostly nerfs, but zombies are more zombie-ish now rather than undead super soldiers.
(Zombies no longer dodge, parry, block, wrestle or run, and they do charging attacks whenever possible) is huge, as is [Reduced zombie strength bonus (old saves will still be strong)], they'll make zombies far easier to deal with, and even with the new charge changes they'll be way less deadly en masse.

(Zombies don't get defense adjustments for body part type and they don't find or stop combat opportunities) in particular is going to be fucking hilarious because if you ever aggro a horde of zombies I assume they'll never stop chasing you, even when you fast travel?

They also had some changes for permakilling them to do with severing heads, and past that, grasping limbs, so they'll be much easier to put down. I like the changes tbh, they aren't gonna be as invincible in large enough numbers. The exact numbers would be 1 competent swordsman with sword + shield being able to take down 10 zombies with decent RnG and good targeting and dodging.
Last edited by Zilenan91 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #147181

Wyzack wrote:In a brazen act of defiance, a group of dwarven rangers calling themselves the executioners of evil have founded a war fortress amidst the goblin holdings in a sinister biome along the coast. Suck it greenskins

EDIT: God damn dude i am getting like 15 fps in a brand new fort, what the shit is going on?
Your caverns might have water draining between them
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #147184

I wish I was autistic enough to enjoy this game. Does it at least have fully mouse-driven UI at this point, say similar to DCSS?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #147186

I know DF hack 42.03 has mouse interaction.
Wyzack wrote:In a brazen act of defiance, a group of dwarven rangers calling themselves the executioners of evil have founded a war fortress amidst the goblin holdings in a sinister biome along the coast. Suck it greenskins

Wars - wars and elf rape.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #147190

Zilenan91 wrote:DF just updated http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Some zombie nerfs and buffs. Mostly nerfs, but zombies are more zombie-ish now rather than undead super soldiers.
(Zombies no longer dodge, parry, block, wrestle or run, and they do charging attacks whenever possible) is huge, as is [Reduced zombie strength bonus (old saves will still be strong)], they'll make zombies far easier to deal with, and even with the new charge changes they'll be way less deadly en masse.

(Zombies don't get defense adjustments for body part type and they don't find or stop combat opportunities) in particular is going to be fucking hilarious because if you ever aggro a horde of zombies I assume they'll never stop chasing you, even when you fast travel?

They also had some changes for permakilling them to do with severing heads, and past that, grasping limbs, so they'll be much easier to put down. I like the changes tbh, they aren't gonna be as invincible in large enough numbers. The exact numbers would be 1 competent swordsman with sword + shield being able to take down 10 zombies with decent RnG and good targeting and dodging.
does this mean we'll no longer have animated skins, hands, legs, and rolling heads chasing us?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147192

You'll still have hands, legs, and heads since they're hands legs and heads. I know hands are graspers, legs *might* be graspers, and heads are heads so they'll just roll around and bite you in the ankles totally fine until they get smashed/stabbed into paste.

I don't think undead skin or hair will be a thing anymore sadly, which is a bit of a good thing because reanimated skin was literally invincible.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #147238

Reanimated skin?

How is that a threat...wait, no, I probably don't wanna know.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147239

It wasn't. It did negligible damage, but it really fucked the morale of your fort and was completely invincible.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #147244

You couldn't burn, freeze or atom-smash it?

Wow. I thought DF players had a way to kill everything and anything.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147253

You could atom smash it but while you were doing that it's likely that 100 more pieces of skin animated as well and your whole fortress is now in a tantrum spiral from constant fear of undead skin.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #147276

Lumbermancer wrote:I wish I was autistic enough to enjoy this game. Does it at least have fully mouse-driven UI at this point, say similar to DCSS?
Only partial mouse support

On undead skin, you can actually kill it these days because the undead have a maximum hitpoint sort of thing now(As does everything else so you can deal with forgotten beasts that have no internal organs or bodyparts to dismember, even if it's a hugely high number). Bring hammerdwarves with good aim, and get lucky. They'll be there for a while
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #147344

Before i had to bow out of the sucession world due to crippling lag i was really excited to make a fortress of humanboo ranger dwarf rednecks that lived aboveground in a massive fortress of watchtowers and wooden pallisades. The idea was that every dorf would get a crossbow and leather armor for maximum freedom, with the exception of the miners and woodcutter plus maybe one or two melee squads for emergancies. Trying that new on a new world, but the only good embark sites are on aquifers and even though i have been playing for years i have never actually breached one before. Trying it now with a guide but god damn it is complicated
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #147365

As soon as you breach your first aquifer it becomes habit

It's still an annoying timesink and I tend to just embark on the border of an aquifer and an aquifer free biome so you can dig around it.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #147368

God fucking dammit i breached it but there is a second aquifer below. I did the double plug method but i think i fucked up my second plug so it is a massive fucking waste of time for now. I guess we are going scrublet nometals humanmodo for now. The plan is to make everyone a crossbow soldier and have a few strongpoints connected by underground tunnels rather than a big ol wall around everything. Got a tower and goblin civ as close neighbors so hopefully fun soon
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #147402

I need did work out how to breach aquifiers.

What do you do?
Build a water safe block of walls on a support above the breach and then drop it?
XSI

Post by XSI » #147403

Walls deconstruct if dropped

You need to dig a 3x3 area and use pumps to keep the water out while you tunnel through the middle, then wall in your stairs
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #147414

If it's a smoothable rock, you can drain it and have an engraver come in and smooth the walls.

Smoothed aquifers don't make water

Not an option in dirt layers though.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #175319

New dwarf fortress update get hyped for adventure mode building
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #175556

Playan this right now.

Playing as a demigod human ranger type. Recruited some good lads and started building our wilderness fortress to push back the wild and ensure human superiority. Did a couple easy hunts to get enough reputation to recruit a bunch of dudes. It is really fun so far!
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #175572

All it needs now is mining and the ability to make all types of workshops so I can smith my guy some armor
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #175579

this sounds really cool. I'm imagining future fortress mode where you can customize 7 dwarves for fortress mode everything loads up like normal, you set them doing their jobs and shit automated like and you take control of one and it's like adventure mode out of the fortress you created so you could do jobs and explore outside of the embark zone and return with loot and fame for your fortress. kinda like in Masterwork but in vanilla game
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #175744

Bug makes everything in your adventure fortresses rot away to nothing as soon as any time passes on your site. Sucks because i build most of the north wall of my fortress only to have all my furniture and doors melt away to nothing after i cut down a tree. This next hotfix cannot come fast enough. I am really excited for when we can have our own adventure mode smithies. I wanna go on big trade caravans to the dwarf lands, trade my own goods for steel and make badass equipment for my rangers.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #175799

Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #175808

Fuck yes. Wilderness Ranger camp is a go. Also i saw on /vg/ this guy conscripted a bunch of elves as slaves to help him build his fortress suspended over a volcano, then once the work was done he kicked them into the lava one by one. It was amazing
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #175842

>become a necromancer
>walk into a human village and kill most of the villagers to be resurrected by me
>have my zombie army construct my grand tower for me

Such a shame you can't write the secrets of life and death for other adventurers to find
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #175844

Do zombies still count towards ambushes? So like if you have 20 zombies following you won't ambushes be like 60 dudes strong
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #176085

How do I chop down wood and shit in adv mode.
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #176100

with an axe, probably.
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #176117

hit g next to a tree with a axe inhand and select fell
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #176268

Is there anyway to remove ramps in adv mode? I have an area I want to level so no pesky gobbo's can raid in from
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178405

Playing DF again made me realize this game is not really that hard to get into, it's the dumb UI and design choices that contribute to the difficulty.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178496

My desktop keyboard does as well.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178499

I haven't thought about trying the numpad. Silly me.
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #178515

When DF is done, you won't ever need another roguelike again.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #178564

Is wrestlememe still op? I remember throw damage was based on the density of whatever you hit. and demon civs had slade castles. you would do the daintest throw and shit would splatter. throw someone in a featherwood forest at machine 8 and you did jack shit
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178627

Why can you resize rooms but you can't resize stockpiles?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #178644

Nah, that's just how the game was coded. Garbage spaghetti built on top of worse garbage spaghetti. Toady taught himself to code by making this game.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #178715

Yeah what he has accomplished is pretty damn impressive considering. I think a lot of work he does goes in to recoding old shit to make it less shit
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
XSI

Post by XSI » #180051

There is

Whenever he starts a new arc the first week or so is figuring out just how the hell he got the placeholder systems working in the first place
Even with his own comments some DF code is inscrutable
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #180093

I love Toady but a morbid part of me wants him to give up/die and release the source

It's been referred to as spaghetti code but I want to see it first hand
XSI

Post by XSI » #180154

Cant be worse, that's for sure

He hasn't had to worry about several different people coding without overarching plan
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #180159

Working on a bog standard dorf fort in masterwork before i get the new edition and pleh orcs. Got a sweet embark with lots of trees, a brook, tons of iron and coal ores and a flux layer. Gonna get the biggest army of steel clad ass kickers i can
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #180836

Fortress has been going really well. Masterwork has new weapons and armor types you can make, so i have kitted out my budding militia in plate armor with towersheilds and longswords. Sent them out to massacre the local monstrous wildlife for practice. Ended up getting a couple dorfs killed as they went out the get the giant coyote corpses and got mauled by the surviving coyotes.

Also in masterwork you can make a super dense metal from the volcanic foundry. My goal is to make my militia commander BLACK IRON MOTHERFUCKING TARKUS with full armor, a towershield and a two handed sword if possible. Shit is gonna be so cash
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #180846

Fun fact the scrap material out of foundries and such, slag, is the densest material around

It can be used in strange moods if you mess with enough shit

A slag hammer will explode whatever it impacts
A floor made out of slag will gib things landing on it from just a 2 zlevel drop
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #181402

Wyzack wrote:Working on a bog standard dorf fort in masterwork before i get the new edition and pleh orcs. Got a sweet embark with lots of trees, a brook, tons of iron and coal ores and a flux layer. Gonna get the biggest army of steel clad ass kickers i can
I started orc fort myself on 1/2 normal calendar speed on a 3x4 embark on a cave next to a brook. cave had some naked mole dogs but we made quick work of them. then a dire mole boar fought with a horse sized underground worm thing in the cave for a while and I finished off the boar as it retreated upwards when the worm ran down the cave. As I send the super duo downward we discover an underground cavern seemingly empty of monsters; the cave opens up into the cave but there isn't a way down yet except for the ceiling and Imma leave it like that for now. I've already begun converting the upper level of the cave into orc fort by sealing off the peak island. I plan on living outside for the most part but having all the living quarters and stuff be in the cave/cavern. Like military and shit outside. the cave happens to be in the middle of the 3x4 so I can probably wall off / defend a good portion of it since the walls aren't touching the edge and you can build there.
Spoiler:
edit: fuck I'm glad I put a floor hatch a little below where I'm expanding into right now because I'm zooming down and see like 4-5 giant B's and they are stuck under the floor hatch. they appear to be called Susal Dire Bat - "A big winged and swift bat-like animal. It consists of bronze. It can see perfectly in the dark. It roams the depths of the world. It is associated with earth and metals.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #181602

Fucking langurs are pestering my grazing animals. What do.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #181607

Deploy some archerdorfs
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #181609

Hammer dorfs.
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #181614

how far down in the stone layer do you go until you start building your main hall? I always like building mine around caverns