Steam sale

Talk about video games here
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Re: Steam sale

Post by capi duffman » #143627

Bottom post of the previous page:

It could be worse, he could've gifted you space hulk.

Jesus Christ, just check the comments, you cannot even complete the tutorial.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #143629

there should seriously be an official scam warning label on Steam for unfinished games that pretend to be finished, because not everyone reads the reviews
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143632

Ricotez wrote:there should seriously be an official scam warning label on Steam for unfinished games that pretend to be finished, because not everyone reads the reviews
There comes a point at which Steam has done all it reasonably should. I think that when someone ignores the massive "Early access" warning, the noticeable orange "Mixed" or worse review indicator, the popular reviews with their large orange thumbs-down images, the noticeable green metacritic score... I really think that if someone ignores all these indicators, it's their fault and not Steam's. Steam has done a lot to prevent this, and short of implementing an approval or ban policy, which will result in many false positives, I really don't think Steam can do anything more.

I strongly maintain that the open market is much better at identifying shit games than Steam ever could be. I know we'd all rather not see the shit games around, but that would also remove some decent and good games.

Please direct your hatred towards those who are actually responsible for the games being shit - be it the developer, publisher, or whoever else, Steam did its part.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #143633

LiamLime wrote:
Ricotez wrote:there should seriously be an official scam warning label on Steam for unfinished games that pretend to be finished, because not everyone reads the reviews
There comes a point at which Steam has done all it reasonably should. I think that when someone ignores the massive "Early access" warning, the noticeable orange "Mixed" or worse review indicator, the popular reviews with their large orange thumbs-down images, the noticeable green metacritic score... I really think that if someone ignores all these indicators, it's their fault and not Steam's. Steam has done a lot to prevent this, and short of implementing an approval or ban policy, which will result in many false positives, I really don't think Steam can do anything more.

I strongly maintain that the open market is much better at identifying shit games than Steam ever could be. I know we'd all rather not see the shit games around, but that would also remove some decent and good games.

Please direct your hatred towards those who are actually responsible for the games being shit - be it the developer, publisher, or whoever else, Steam did its part.
I'm talking about games that left Early Access without actually being ever completed. With an official label, I mean games like Towns or Spacebase DF-9, that never delivered on their promised features and just dropped out of Early Access one day, no warning, and were left exactly as they were. I'm not talking about any kind of automation process with this, it's impossible to automate. But similar to how Kickstarter is going to start investigating projects that got funded but failed to deliver, I want that Valve investigates the games on their platform that they get a lot of warnings about. Why would you keep a scam in your store? It affects your own reputation negatively.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143636

You can add as many warnings as you want, consumers will make bad choices no matter what and blame Steam. I firmly believe they've done enough and extra warnings or labels would achieve nothing but cause label-creep or something.

The logistics of adding Steam-controlled labels also boils down to there being a line, which games can't cross. For example, Towns or Space Base are nowhere near as unfinished as, say, Centration. If you think both of those deserve such a label, then there are loads of other games (both in and out of early access) which deserve it too. The thing is, no matter where you set the line, there will be games close to it on both sides, which will be problematic. People will whine why this one game got the label while the other did not. I really think a Steam controlled censorship or label system would cause much more drama than it would remove.

Additionally, there are games which would definitely cross the line, despite being niche classics, sometimes for their broken state. And I don't mean Goat Simulator, I mean games like Shower with your dad simulator, or Bad ratz. I'd really prefer to take the responsibility of making purchases myself and not have Steam approve, ban or label things for me.

It's a slippery slope, Rico, one which many have slipped on before Steam.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #143645

You have 2 hours or two weeks to refund a game.
Shouldn't take that long to realise a game is trash.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #143649

No, no, no. It should not be the sole responsibility of the customers to avoid scams. It's also the responsibility of the seller or in this case the platform to not allow these scams to happen. If your lock is weak and you get burgled, your insurance company may not compensate you fully, but the burglar still committed a crime and if they get caught by the police, will still get prosecuted for it.

I hadn't yet considered the refund system in this, since all the times I got scammed on Steam it was before I could refund the games (and I no longer can now without going through all the hoops of the old system). I suppose it's a better system than a label, because it allows you to form your own opinion about a game. Even if 2 hours is not always enough.
Spoiler:
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143652

The thing is - Steam's system is not poor. It has a lot of user-generated warnings. When it comes to buying things in early access, though, I think consumers should realize there is risk involved. They make this quite clear:

If you bought Space Base in early access and was disappointed when they stopped development without completing the game, Steam made it clear that could happen. And if you are looking at it now, after the early access banner has been removed, there are lots of review indicators all over the page, which indicate that it's awful. You are correct in saying that Steam is responsible to prevent scams on its system, but you are wrong in saying they aren't doing so to a sufficient amount already.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #143720

capi duffman wrote:It could be worse, he could've gifted you space hulk.

Wait what? Is it really that bad? I have that and dont remember having trouble with it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #143727

An0n3 wrote:
capi duffman wrote:It could be worse, he could've gifted you space hulk.

Wait what? Is it really that bad? I have that and dont remember having trouble with it.
They did an update around September that was pure idiocy, breaking most levels, the mission failed screen, apparently you need to follow certain steps to complete some missions without crashing... those are the ones that work.

And to add insult to injury, the studio closed business soon after, the only way this gets fixed is with a community patch.

I was interested, because killing genestealers is fun, but this looks REALLY bad now.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #143761

Space Hulk is finished at least
Unless you mean the 'new' version, which is kinda just a mess last I checked and they fucked it up pretty badly
Simple game, tried to make it complex without telling the player what they're doing or how anything works...And then fucked the graphics by making everything BRIGHT BLOOM or pitch black, lens flare on the lens flare, etc
It had potential
They fucked up

Edit: Oh look, missed an entire page
Yeah, Spacebase is a scam. Get it refunded as soon as possible. It's kinda like grandma getting you Superman64, and about as playable too.
You refund that shit or you regret it

That said, I think there's a curator out there that curates scams and has a group name of "DONT BUY" or something
Steam may have removed them because that's bad for business or something
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #143801

Well, he got it as part of a bundle, and he says he doesn't want the dollar back.

I don't want that shit on my account, though, so I kinda had it deleted.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143804

DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #143807

I highly suggest getting R6: Siege. The importance of communication and replayability is insane. Some key sites might still have keys pretty cheap.

Plus free DLC for it in a week or two.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #143879

DrPillzRedux wrote:I highly suggest getting R6: Siege. The importance of communication and replayability is insane. Some key sites might still have keys pretty cheap.

I want to but it looks like the game that will get boring after a few hours
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #143881

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:
DrPillzRedux wrote:I highly suggest getting R6: Siege. The importance of communication and replayability is insane. Some key sites might still have keys pretty cheap.

I want to but it looks like the game that will get boring after a few hours
That's literally what I thought, but I've sunk 76 hours in it since launch now.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143886

From the limited playing experience I got during the free weekend (like 6 hours or so), I feel like it's trying to be counterstrike. But the problem is that while you can be fairly sure CS:GO will be around in a year, I doubt you can make this claim for R6:S. Also, trying to be counterstrike is by no means a bad thing, I just doubt it will succeed in that regard.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #143947

It already has free DLC fully planned out until the end of 2016. We'll see.

a correct post by pillz
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #144179

i got assetto corsa it's nice

but it's a bit barebones even with mods
on the bright side:
[youtube]DzeuOJXiQHk[/youtube]
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #144206

>No grinding around corners.
Whats the point.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144213

so people are saying the sale is actually an ARG for Half-Life 3

apparently lots of little secrets hidden. subtle lambdas, secret messages that you can only find if you dig real deep, and the comic takes place on the south pole (where the borealis ended up)
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #144215

nsos wrote:i got assetto corsa it's nice

on the bright side:
Bro come on.

You can't post something that rad without a download link.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #144487

nsos wrote:i got assetto corsa it's nice

on the bright side:
i can do this exact thing only better

i find my wii

i know where my copy of f-zero gx is

i put it in the wii and play it
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #144489

While we're on the topic of racing games:

DiRT Rally is fucking amazing.

It's gorgeous but it's also the most authentic rally game I've played since RBR.

Beep beep!

Tempted to make one last impulse purchase for Subnautica solely because

1) The graphics look pretty
2) Streaming me having aquaphobia-induced panic attacks and screaming at the ocean in terror might entertain some folks
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #144503

I have subnautica, although I haven't played too much.

I liked the idea, just found it hard to get established myself (seemed to be too much grinding for materials to even get a basic underwater base started.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #144506

Yeah you probably want to wait until Subnautica is finished or almost finished before you dive into it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #144507

I got Viscera Cleanup Detail, Pillars of Eternity and Just Cause 3

I have since refunded Just Cause 3, because it turns out it isn't what I wanted it to be. It's just a more clunky and laggy (albeit more colourful) version of Saints Row 4... without co-op.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #144510

Oh god it feels so good...

[youtube]DjuSectBmhY[/youtube]

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144512

here's how to get a free Steam badge

1. Log into Steam from a web browser (Chrome works best).
2. Go to the Ikaruga store page. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/)
3. In the search bar, type "search" and press enter. Literally just the word search.
4. In the prompt that shows up, enter "1v7531" and press enter again.
5. Enjoy your new badge while you wonder if this is really about Half-Life 3.
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144517

(Chrome works best)
Nice try google employee.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144522

you can use firefox but it needs some convincing that Steam is not trying to hack your computer
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #144527

I bought Gemcraft since it was a few dollars and apparently a really good game.

I don't really fancy anything else, I practically own anything I would want. The only game I would be interested in picking up would be the new Rainbow 6 game but I'm concerned it'll be dead in under a year.

Otherwise I think I might just save for Xcom 2.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144552

I'm only considering Mad Max right now. Apparently it's pretty good, but gets very tedious and repetitive after a while. Opinions?
Spoiler:
Broomstick
Byond Username: Broomy

Post by Broomstick » #144567

Ricotez wrote:so people are saying the sale is actually an ARG for Half-Life 3

apparently lots of little secrets hidden. subtle lambdas, secret messages that you can only find if you dig real deep, and the comic takes place on the south pole (where the borealis ended up)
I've heard about this. Though, considering how Valve is running this in comparison to its older ARGs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was for something pointless that I wouldn't care about. Who knows.

Back on topic, should I get Fallout 4, or should I wait until the GECK comes out and/or the game is at least slightly cheaper?
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #144586

tfw cant afford lisa/the expansion and the only thing i can find torrentwise is the expansion which requires the base game and a bunch of porn of actors named lisa

not that i would pirate pirating is bad and if you pirate you should feel bad
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #144620

Hit up G2A if you missed anything you wanted in the steam sale. They usually have it at the same price.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #144712

Bought some vidya.

Undertale and Lisa, and also Siege and Black Cocks III
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #144726

>undertale

BACK OFF BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144736

Spoiler:
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #144781

DemonFiren wrote:>undertale

BACK OFF BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
Naw, it's good.

I've been spoiled to fuck but I like TBC RPGs and the music is catchy

Also, black cocks is 48 fucking gigs

I might need to grab a new HDD next month, this 1TB one is almost full
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #144886

So, enjoy your edgy hyperdeath.
Or your edgy Uboa-child.

Or the objectively best lizard ever.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144938

Lisa is better than Undertale.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #144941

Lumbermancer wrote:Lisa is better than Undertale.
>better than undertale

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144945

Yep, this is all what Undertale is. Memes.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144950

you turn cause and effect around, it's the stupid ass fandom that turned every single fucking thing in Undertale into a meme
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144953

Au contraire, it's when the game doesn't have much going in terms of actual gameplay but has motherload of memetic and/or fetishistic content (silly plot points, unique characters, dialogues and one liners) then the fandom can latch on.

Do visit vg, and check which generals contain nothing but autistic fanfics and tumblr tier art.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #144966

Lumbermancer wrote: Do visit vg, and check which generals contain nothing but autistic fanfics and tumblr tier art.
FNAF.txt
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #144972

>vg
>giving a good impression of games

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144974

Takeguru wrote:FNAF.txt
This guy gets it.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #144983

This sale came just weeks after the last one. What else is there even left to buy?

And lisa is awful. Not sure why you even bring up lack of gameplay when Lisa's combat is the most mindnumbing grind I've ever experienced.

At least you can avoid /vg/
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #145012

Honestly put down all undertale forum members