Any good Isometric RPG's?

Talk about video games here
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Any good Isometric RPG's?

Post by firecage » #145397

So guys, got any good Isometric RPG's for me to play? Current ones already played:

Avernum Series
Geneforge Series
Baldur's Gate Series
Icewind Dale Series
Neverwinter Nights Series
Planescape: Torment
Avadon Series
Nethergate
Siege of Avalon
Arcanum
Divine Divinity
Pillars of Eternity

(And no, the 2 original Fallouts aren't good RPG's)
Last edited by firecage on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Any good Isometric RPG's?

Post by Zilenan91 » #145398

Pillars of Eternity is pretty good from what I've heard.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #145399

Oh, already played it, heh.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #145405

I know of a really good isometric RPG where you build a party of procedurally generated characters where you send your characters in raiding parties to do battle against an invading army.
Its really hard and features permadeath.
Spoiler:
X-Com
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #145406

Ehhh, not sure if it's something I would call an isometric rpg.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #145414

firecage wrote:(And no, the 2 original Fallouts aren't good RPG's)
Wow what the fuck.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #145416

I liked Champions of Norrath.

PS2 series.

Maybe you can emulate it or something, haven't looked into it myself
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #145417

firecage wrote:Ehhh, not sure if it's something I would call an isometric rpg.
Okay okay, you want something real time.

I know another hardcore RPG that features permadeath and you go on quests to please some old man (thats a requirement of RPGs right?), and your characters gain XP to increase levels which grant skill points you can invest in skills of your choice.
Spoiler:
Fallout: Tactics
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #145418

Diablo II Lords of Destruction. Probably one of the best games I've ever played, but it's old as fuck and might not run on Windows 10/7 without some tweaking.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #145422

Saegrimr wrote:
Wow what the fuck.
I know, right?
And this guy played Arcanum and apparently found it good enough to go on the list.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #145431

I reccomend Final Fantasy Tactics, the original PS1 version. It's some good shit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #145445

I heard that Bad Ratz was a pinnacle of modern game design, a game that every single person should play.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #145447

Saegrimr wrote:
Wow what the fuck.

Who knows. I was going to suggest something but obviously after you said that bombshell I have a sour taste in my mouth.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #145467

What? It's not a lie. Their quests sucks, their plot sucks, their characters sucks.

They are as flat as a 10 year olds breasts.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #145473

You get no help from anyone with an attitude like that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #145485

Is this real life.

is it just a fantasy???
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #145497

Ignoring the brewing shitstorm...

Try Underrail.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #145507

thats literally fallout though
and as we know that game is TERRIBLE :^)))))))))))))))

i mean fuck obviously fallout 3 and fallout 4 were the great games of the series

OBVIOUSLY
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #145510

[muffled "reeeeee" in the distance]
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #145512

I tried playing Underrail, made a psy-guy and he gets his ass beat by just about everything. I refuse to roll a new character so right now I'm doing the equivalent of punching my way through a brick wall.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #145514

Funny, I went the opposite way. Started literally punching things and then picked up some psionics later.

Edit: Oh yeah, I found Wasteland 2 to be pretty fun (despite every decision you make being the wrong one). Should go back and try it again now that the director's cut is out.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145525

THE MIGHTY GALVATRON wrote:I tried playing Underrail, made a psy-guy and he gets his ass beat by just about everything. I refuse to roll a new character so right now I'm doing the equivalent of punching my way through a brick wall.
It's tough. You need to learn all the psychic abilities you can in the beginning from the three dudes.

The kinetic one that costs a fuckton but stuns everyone is good, use that as your opener on a mob and then hit it with cryokinesis repeatedly until dead if its a random animal, or the mind blast thing if its a human.

The big problem for psy-ops are those fucking robots you start fighting later holy shit. All your powers do such little mechanical damage those things just fucking roll right over you. Consider specializing in sneaking around with the points you can't throw into psy stuff to avoid shit like that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #145563

iamgoofball wrote:I reccomend Final Fantasy Tactics, the original PS1 version. It's some good shit.
this is my favorite game of all time, I still even have my ps1 with the case/disc for this game and play it once in a blue moon.

I even have my orginal memory card with my first game save on it (probably gone now idk) where I saved in a battle I couldn't back out of and I was stuck in an endless loop of getting my ass handed to me by a
Spoiler:
knight who turns into a werewolf after you "defeat" him in the first part of the fight
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145578

I recommend Divinity: Original Sin and the Enhanced Edition, which was (is?) free with the original game. Fantastic isometric game. Detailed character building and multiple approaches to problems is a win in my book. Plus it's got modern graphics, which is a nice plus.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #145592

Shit if you're gonna recommend FFT, at least throw Tactics Ogre out there. Takes everything FFT's done and expands the fuck out of it, plus theres like 20 different remakes of it all over the place. PSP version was pretty fuckin great too.
Drynwyn wrote:I recommend Divinity: Original Sin and the Enhanced Edition, which was (is?) free with the original game. Fantastic isometric game. Detailed character building and multiple approaches to problems is a win in my book. Plus it's got modern graphics, which is a nice plus.
I need to finish that. I keep getting distracted or trying to hoard shit and end up losing interest too quickly.
Tried to do multiplayer with a friend but it just seemed like a bad idea all around.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145609

Saegrimr wrote:Shit if you're gonna recommend FFT, at least throw Tactics Ogre out there. Takes everything FFT's done and physically expands the fuck out of it, plus theres like 20 different remakes of it all over the place. PSP version was pretty fuckin great too.
Drynwyn wrote:I recommend Divinity: Original Sin and the Enhanced Edition, which was (is?) free with the original game. Fantastic isometric game. Detailed character building and multiple approaches to problems is a win in my book. Plus it's got modern graphics, which is a nice plus.
I need to finish that. I keep getting distracted or trying to hoard shit and end up losing interest too quickly.
Tried to do multiplayer with a friend but it just seemed like a bad idea all around.
I did a multiplayer run with my brother and it worked out pretty well.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #145615

An0n3 wrote:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON wrote:I tried playing Underrail, made a psy-guy and he gets his ass beat by just about everything. I refuse to roll a new character so right now I'm doing the equivalent of punching my way through a brick wall.
It's tough. You need to learn all the psychic abilities you can in the beginning from the three dudes.

The kinetic one that costs a fuckton but stuns everyone is good, use that as your opener on a mob and then hit it with cryokinesis repeatedly until dead if its a random animal, or the mind blast thing if its a human.

The big problem for psy-ops are those fucking robots you start fighting later holy shit. All your powers do such little mechanical damage those things just fucking roll right over you. Consider specializing in sneaking around with the points you can't throw into psy stuff to avoid shit like that.
I've been trying a pretty much full brute character, holy shit it's hard.
Hey.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #145680

10/10
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #145699

A bit dated but I bought a pack of geneforge games on gog and even from the first one they are very solid.

Summoning orientated with a very simic style fantasy background.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #145739

Speaking from hearsay and not personal experience, I've been told that Diablo 3 is fairly good. I know its reception was extremely poor from avid gamers when it launched, being one of the first connection-required games, but apparently it's been improved a lot since. Might be worth a second look.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145861

LiamLime wrote:Speaking from hearsay and not personal experience, I've been told that Diablo 3 is fairly good. I know its reception was extremely poor from avid gamers when it launched, being one of the first connection-required games, but apparently it's been improved a lot since. Might be worth a second look.
I've played it extensively myself, and while it's pretty darn good, it's an ARPG, and based on the list of things he's played, the OP is looking for pure RPG's.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145862

LiamLime wrote:Speaking from hearsay and not personal experience, I've been told that Diablo 3 is fairly good. I know its reception was extremely poor from avid gamers when it launched, being one of the first connection-required games, but apparently it's been improved a lot since. Might be worth a second look.
Can confirm personally. They fixed the game-ruining loot grind, removed the auction house entirely, and added a bunch of free DLC features.

Diablo 3 at launch was a huge fucking disappointment. C- game

Diablo 3 now is a fun ARPG stomp with a decent bit of depth. B+ game
Spoiler:
Torchlight 2, Last Exile, and even Phantasy Star Online are all better, though.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #145868

it's scarcely isometric by divinity: original sin: enhanced edition is fun as fuck

go play it right now
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #145902

age of decadance is good but it has similarties to fallout 1 and 2 (turn AP based) but tbvh that's a good thing
the story is relatively short but you take completely different paths ranging from non-violent to murder everything, has some neat aspects like being able to scare the shit out of people if you have a high body count. Only bad thing about it is that you have to min-max like crazy to get anywhere with the combat and if you skip out on quests you get fucked later on
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #146329

IcePacks wrote:it's scarcely isometric by divinity: original sin: enhanced edition is fun as fuck

go play it right now
I'm playing through the enhanced edition right now. I'd honestly just recommend skipping the standard edition and just going straight for the enhanced edition. There's a lot of parts in the standard edition that are just really obtuse. The enhanced edition had that problem occasionally (mostly items related to quests appearing under the wrong inventory category) but it's still pretty great.

Also nail grenades are fucking awesome.