Starbound

Talk about video games here
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Starbound

Post by Saegrimr » #201533

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ricotez wrote:I like the missions and the structures that spawn on planets (even if they don't always make sense, like a Felin city on a heavily irradiated planet, or an Avian temple on a dark, extremely frozen planet). But the damn scanning quests are awful, you always think you can do it with just one settlement but then you miss 1-2 more scans and you have to fly to a different system just for them.

I've also started going into Admin mode whenever I want to just decorate, and spawn decorative blocks that way.
/completequest human_mission1
/completequest floran_mission1
/completequest floran_mission2
/completequest hylotl_mission1
/completequest hylotl_mission2
/completequest avian_mission1
/completequest avian_mission2
/completequest apex_mission1
/completequest apex_mission2
/completequest glitch_mission1
/completequest glitch_mission2
/completequest destroyruin

Mission1 is scan, Mission2 is the dungeon itself.
human_mission1 is the erchius moonbase which might pose some weird problems if you admin in a ship upgrade before completing it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #201534

I'm in the middle of the Apex scan quest now, if the frozen planet I'm currently in orbit of doesn't have an Apex structure I'll use that command since I'm going to beam down and cross the entire surface anyway looking for loot.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #201608

Ricotez wrote:I like the missions and the structures that spawn on planets (even if they don't always make sense, like a Felin city on a heavily irradiated planet, or an Avian temple on a dark, extremely frozen planet). But the damn scanning quests are awful, you always think you can do it with just one settlement but then you miss 1-2 more scans and you have to fly to a different system just for them.

I've also started going into Admin mode whenever I want to just decorate, and spawn decorative blocks that way.

Yeah, the scanning missions just feel like they're there to pad out the main quest for the most part. Even with the scanning missions the main quest itself is pretty short. Most of the time I've spent playing has been more about building colonies and exploring dungeons. Personally I'd like to see them incorporate more side missions. As far as I can tell you've basically only got five of them right now. Three for the Floran chick and two for the penguin shop keepers, all of which boil down to extra boss fights. Other than that you're just kind of confined to MMO type sidequests for NPCs, some of which can be absolute shit considering how they're generated (I had one from a hytol in a small hut on an island where I just passed shit back and forth between her friend... Who was in the same fucking one room hut).
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #201730

CosmicScientist wrote: I haven't found an item that lets me have crops without rain yet because I don't want to use a watering can
You can make a sprinkler system from the foraging table, that does this.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #201750

Progression for minerals and armor is actually really fucking easy, like maybe half an hour of mining leaves you with abundance of ore that has no fucking uses

I have like 300 solarium from one mining trip that I used to make one set of armor

Hardest part of progression is finding a poison planet to make batteries (which you don't actually need to do because you can buy batteries at the outpost) and hunting robots down for sticks of RAM
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #201753

jfc just download more ram

also I've plopped down a teleporter in an apex laboratory I found on a dark planet, my plan was to convert the place into a sciencey colony but the eternal soaring wind and the perpetual darkness of the surrounding landscape makes me kinda depressed so I might just leave it and find another place
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #201839

PKPenguin321 wrote: Hardest part of progression is finding a poison planet to make batteries (which you don't actually need to do because you can buy batteries at the outpost) and hunting robots down for sticks of RAM
Poison's easy as hell toget. Just land on a toxic ocean planet, find the shore of the island you land on which takes like two minutes, and then just start gathering it up from the ocean. Takes like five minutes tops and you'll have enough poison to last you a life time. I'll give you robots though. I had some pretty good luck finding them on mutated planets though and I've encountered a shit ton of them on midnight planets as well.
also I've plopped down a teleporter in an apex laboratory I found on a dark planet, my plan was to convert the place into a sciencey colony but the eternal soaring wind and the perpetual darkness of the surrounding landscape makes me kinda depressed so I might just leave it and find another place
Could just do what I've started doing with my scorched planet colony and basically start terraforming the area around your colony. I sort of just plopped some dirt and sprinklers around the area, grew some grass along it, and added some decoration like lamps, a fountain, and some outdoor furniture. Bam, now it's like a cozy little oasis in an otherwise miserable wasteland, kinda like Vault City in FO2.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #201847

doesn't change the fact that it's a bloody dark planet, the days are as dark as nights on other planets and the nights are even darker

and the wind is driving me fucking insane
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #201856

/sbg/ convinced me to torrent this one.

So far, underwhelmed by the game I have before me compared to the time and money this thing was given.
Also, no lizards. Disgusting.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #201877

DemonFiren wrote:/sbg/ convinced me to torrent this one.

So far, underwhelmed by the game I have before me compared to the time and money this thing was given.
Also, no lizards. Disgusting.
hylotyl are pretty close, they're fish so they have scales
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #201881

I always thought they were amphibian.

Also, the race mods I've found were too degenerate even for me.
Well, then. Never thought I'd play a human in a game that offered me the choice.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #201919

Where would be a good place to build a colony? Also is base in a box any good at all?

>race mods too degenerate for demonfiren
Like what? If things are too degenerate even for you that is saying something
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #201938

I'm not ashamed to say I got felins because why the fuck not.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #201941

TheColdTurtle wrote:
>race mods too degenerate for demonfiren
There was a mlp race mod made back when it was in early access. The guy who made it was clearly autistic as hell although that kind of goes without saying. Like, he wrote this huge and fucking stupid backstory for the race. I think it was about literal brony scientists who infused their DNA with horses or some shit to turn themselves into pony humanoids and became outcasts from humanity.

It actually sounds like something bronies would do if they could which is the saddest part. Turn themselves into genetic fuck ups (as if they aren't already) so they could fulfill their dreams of fucking talking horses and then cry like little faggots when the rest of humanity point and laugh at them for being fucked in the head.

Also
> playing with the mod that lets you hire crew members
> hire some Hylotl as an outlaw because an extra gun is always welcome and she was one of the few guards in my colony who didn't die regularly
> Exploring a planet with her
> pass through a frog village
> teammates fall a bit behind as usual
> hear fighting
> go back to see what the commotion was about
> she's killing one of the fucking frog civilians
> what the fuck woman

Are outlaws supposed to murder the fuck out of unarmed civilians?
Last edited by Jacough on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #201945

oh my fuck, I thought he was talking about felins or availi. Jesus christ
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #201989

TheColdTurtle wrote:>race mods too degenerate for demonfiren
I might be a scalefag, but furshit should not spill over to just anywhere. There's continua and universes where it works, and in Starbound I'm tending towards "except birds it doesn't."
Get your foxpeople, your porkymens, your diminutive equines and your sergals out of my game.

Hell, even the Argonian mod is shit, makes them look like Yoshi hybrids.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #202011

The Felin have a complicated system of personality aspects with names in their own language that they use to define who they are and what they like. I really wonder why the author went to all that trouble, since anyone who installs that mod does so just to play as a catgirl/boy...
Spoiler:
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #202033

I built my base on an elysium world, I originally wanted it to look like that desert world prison from that one riddick movie but it turned into more of an airlock and a barebones room with an elevator deep into the bowels of the obsidian rock fortress
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #202048

Meanwhile, I got over most of my noobishness and turned some castle ruins into a base.

Now praying I'll find that motherfucking portal, else I'll be sitting on those 68 core fragments for all eternity.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202049

Ricotez wrote:The Felin have a complicated system of personality aspects with names in their own language that they use to define who they are and what they like. I really wonder why the author went to all that trouble, since anyone who installs that mod does so just to play as a catgirl/boy...

Looking at the steam page it looks like they have settlements so I guess it might be worth downloading just to flood their towns with lava or use admin commands to spawn a bunch of bone dragons over their village to tear it to pieces
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #202050

>dragons boning cats
DEGENERATE

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202051

DemonFiren wrote:>dragons boning cats
DEGENERATE
Nah, it's a robot piloted by a member of the glorious human races that incinerates the furfags with fire. There's no degeneracy, just a good old human being doing God's work

Speaking of the bone dragon though, I finished the Glitch mission last night which was... Kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a proper dungeon but instead you just camp out in front of the glitch Baron's castle protecting it from huge waves of cultists until the boss decides to show up. It was nice to see two of the people who join you actually do something fucking useful instead of sitting on their fucking asses by the ark doing jack shit.
Spoiler:
also kind of disappointed the humans don't get a proper quest too. Instead the old bitch is just like "haha just kidding we had the final emblem all along so we're good to open the gate now!" which kind of seems lazy as fuck
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #202053

>that spoiler

Is it possible to kill community-manager-hired-because-head-dev-wanted-to-bone-her-then-turned-ingame-granny-sue-because-wouldn't-it-be-nice-to-have-a-character-based-on-you at all?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202058

I dunno, i kinda liked the last mission. Baron goes all PIP PIP CHEERIO LADS THE JERRIES ARE BACK and you get to kick some ass. I brought 4 or 5 of my tacticool SPACE OPERATOR crewmen with me so it was as close to a real battle as you ever really get in this game. What really did dissapoint me is that they all used swords, bows, ballistae and those whirligig flyer machines. This is a game about FUCKING SPACE AND SCI FI YOU DOUBLE FLORAN MOTHER FUCKING SHITTERS. Why did they make a sci fi game when they seem to loathe actual science futuristic content?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #202061

Because chucklefuck.

At least there may or may not be a mod for this shit eventually. Some anon on /sbg/ is working on tiered race weapons.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202066

You talking about the guy adding in the racial guns? His artwork is really awesome, i especially like the look of the glitch and avian ones
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #202068

The fight with Big Ape was pretty cool, but the dungeon before it could've been a little longer.

And now I'm scavenging lava planets for Glitch settlements because I forgot on which planet I already found a Glitch fort.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202069

The apex mission reminded me about an old writing adage.

Is this story the most exciting time in the character's life? If not, why are you not writing about that time?

We get to skulk through some tunnels and not take part in the cool gorilla warfare up above. It is like chucklefish hates fun
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202070

Wyzack wrote:I dunno, i kinda liked the last mission. Baron goes all PIP PIP CHEERIO LADS THE JERRIES ARE BACK and you get to kick some ass. I brought 4 or 5 of my tacticool SPACE OPERATOR crewmen with me so it was as close to a real battle as you ever really get in this game. What really did dissapoint me is that they all used swords, bows, ballistae and those whirligig flyer machines. This is a game about FUCKING SPACE AND SCI FI YOU DOUBLE FLORAN MOTHER FUCKING SHITTERS. Why did they make a sci fi game when they seem to loathe actual science futuristic content?
To be fair all the other missions except the Floran's (which kind of makes sense considering they're a primitive race) still carry a very strong sci fi theme, especially the Apex mission. I'm guessing they went with the whole medieval shit for the Glitch because you know, that's kind of the glitches' thing. Though I'll admit it's pretty stupid that the cultists themselves are using medieval weapons. There's a couple of glitch defenders in the mission who fire at the cultists with bows so it'd probably have made more sense for them to be the ones sticking to their medieval weapons while the cultists use say, guns, artillery cannons, and futuristic VTOLs.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202071

That is exactly my point. So far my favorite mission has been the Frackin Flora frozen science outpost mission
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202073

Wyzack wrote:That is exactly my point. So far my favorite mission has been the Frackin Flora frozen science outpost mission
I'm thinkin of reinstalling the Frackin Universe mod now that I've found out there's a mod that gives all the EPPs breathing support. Figured what I'd do is back up my save and just use the admin spawn command to get the other EPPs so I don't have to restart the game and deal with the stupid EPP change so I can explore all the new dungeons and biomes and shit.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202083

That works, but be sure to move everything you will need into your ship, as Frackin generates a whole new Universe file so all your planetside bases will be gone. Also i keep forgetting that it is Frackin Universe now, Frackin Flora has such a nice ring to it
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Post by TankNut » #202091

Fracking universe has this end-game storage thing that has 1000(?) slots. Seeing as inventory management is a bitch I just /admin'd like six of them and never had to worry about storage ever again.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #202092

Waiting for Starbound to get the equivalent of the Applied Energistics mod in Minecraft, which added a computer system that you could store items in and easily access from any terminal connected to the network. With a little fuckery with other mods you could set it up so you could pull and push items to the network from anywhere in the world and never had to worry about inventory again.

I got so dependent on Applied Energistics that I instantly fuck up inventory management in any other game since.
Spoiler:
TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Post by TankNut » #202095

I usually do fine without something like AE2. The problem with starbound is the absurd amount of different items and how the icons are fairly small so it's easy to accidentally skip over something while searching for trivial crafting component nr. 412
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202105

Made this simple cosmetic helmet sprite from the scouter, scavenger, and medic helmets.

Now I just need to know how to add it in and whether or not it's the right size

edit: nope, it's too big. Guess I'll have to make a smaller one
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202158

Also I gave Frackin a try again and uninstalled it after like 30 minutes. The new biomes, weapons, and armor are cool but holy fuck the overhaul for the crafting system and biome climates is just fucking stupid. There's just too much resource bloat and guess work involved in crafting even the most basic shit you need to survive some of the environments. Even the EPPs have been made stupidly complex to craft.

Also, you want to do something with all the new ore you just found? That furnace you fully upgraded won't do the trick. You've got to craft a fission furnace. How do you craft a fission furnace? You need need advanced plastics, tungsten, an electromagnet, and volatile powder. The volatile powder and tungsten are obvious but what about advanced plastics and an electromagnet? Well for the advanced plastics you need silk, oil, and space age polymer. How do you get space age polymer you ask? You make it from copper and coal at a matter assembler which thankfully is simple. As for the electromagnet, you need to build a magnet and a coil and asdkfhgadkfghadskg fuck the rest. This is all just for building the basic machine for crafting all the new ore. It's just a needless and time consuming process.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #202293

Sometimes you need something and can't find the recipe and to unlock it you have to make one of its components, but you don't know the components because you don't have the recipe.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202350

Yeah, Frackin has its own massive share of problems related to recipe progression and massive crafting ingredient bloat. Overall i still prefer it to the base game, i would rather have a tangled mess of things to craft and figure out than a bare bones game.

Speaking of mods, something in our massive mod cocktail is fucking with the ability to soak/sprout wheat seeds and create fruit mash for the starbooze portion of Frackin Universe, i think it must be the food stacking one
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #202385

Quick get your Aryan race mod before nexus takes it down
http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/631/?
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #202408

is there anyone here who doesn't fucking use mods
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202431

Rock did a mod kill ur family?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #202441

>want to play with friend
>"sorry i can't i installed frackin universe so i literally can't play with you anymore unless i delete my save and uninstall the mod"

yeah mods are the best
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #202445

Cheridan wrote:>want to play with friend
>"sorry i can't i installed frackin universe so i literally can't play with you anymore unless i delete my save and uninstall the mod"

yeah mods are the best
Should have backed your saves up before you installed it
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #202446

Wyzack wrote:Rock did a mod kill ur family?
no but
Cheridan wrote:>want to play with friend

yeah mods are the best
that is basically the entire fucking reason right goddamn there please help I'm lonely
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #202448

I am confused. You don't want mods because they make it harder to play with people. Except no one will play vanilla with you, only modded. So what the fuck dude
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #202468

what the fuck with you dude I don't want to download 30 mods to not be lonely
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #202519

I already have about a dozen quality-of-life mods just to make the damn thing playable.
Last edited by DemonFiren on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #202526

is there any mod that increases air and ground movement by like 200%
i feel like the game would be better if it had super meat boy tier movement speed
Spoiler:
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #202531

that actually sounds rad
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #202539

oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.