Duelyst

Talk about video games here
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Duelyst

Post by Cheridan » #212875

I'm not sure why this game seems to have so little recognition but it's crazy good and also free so I'm gonna shill for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291410/

Duelyst is a card battle game in the vein of Hearthstone/MtG/what have you, however instead of having all your cards in a row, you deploy your cards as creatures onto a 5x9 grid, adding an additional element of positioning and tactics. There are 6 factions, each with unique minions and spells to fill out your armies and a choice between 2 unique Generals which have powers that lend to certain playstyles. For example, Abyssian faction can pick between the monster-swarming Lillithe, or Cassyva who focuses on filling the grid with hazardous terrain.
Cards are done in lovely chunky pixels with nice animations and topped off with glowy effects and such.

Matches can be incredibly tense. -- The biggest reason I'm making this thread is because I get so stressed from tense Ranked matches that I'd like to blow off some steam with some friendly games.
One of my early matches saw my General with 1 HP left, backed into a corner. This guy was throwing out high-rarity cards left and right, meaning he either paid for a lot of booster packs or had played for a while... I was using the damn starter deck.
I had summoned a powerful minion last turn but he responded by walling his General off with a phalanx of his own units. I only have one card, and it's useless in this situation. I use the Replace option to switch it with another and draw a Daemonic Lure card, which teleported an enemy away to another square in order to make an opening, allowing my Bone Golem to OUTFUCKINGSKILLLL the guy and drag a win out of my ass.

So yeah. 4d chess with monsters. Play this shit.
Also make sure to use this referrer code(in lowercase) when you sign up: cheridan
:^)

EDIT: I just learned that there's a promotion going on at https://www.humblebundle.com/jumbo-bundle-7 where you can get 20 booster packs in addition to some emotes and junk. It's free, all you have to do is put in your email address. The booster packs are only good if you made your account after Sept 15, so newfags only. The second code for the Keeper of the Vale card/skin and emotes can be redeemed on older accounts though.
Last edited by Cheridan on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Re: Duelyst

Post by ThanatosRa » #212924

NO!
I can never make mention of this game because a friend at work will NEVER LEAVE ME ALONE ABOUT IT.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #212926

I was weak and am basically the bad player big buyer you trounced in that scenario.

I wouldn't recommend it.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #212931

ThanatosRa wrote:NO!
I can never make mention of this game because a friend at work will NEVER LEAVE ME ALONE ABOUT IT.
ONE OF US ONE OF US
Incomptinence wrote:I was weak and am basically the bad player big buyer you trounced in that scenario.

I wouldn't recommend it.
I haven't played Hearthstone, but based on discussions on the steam forums/reviews it uses a similar setup as that game, but with better drop rates (the highest rarity is Legendary with a 1/10 drop rate, Hearthstone is apparently 1/25) and a higher rate of gold gained. If you want a particular card you can trade in other cards for points to craft it. So it doesn't seem too Pay2Win to me in the long run, more like Pay2GetMoreCards, which helps in the short run but you have to git gud eventually (and higher rarity doesn't always mean that a card is better than a common-rarity staple)

I also tend to be more lenient since it's a card game, and spending shitloads of money to get a better deck is par for the course in the case of MtG and such. So I'm comparing it to that as opposed to a MMO, where paying to get an advantage would be a dealbreaker.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #213011

Oh paupering it up is fine for most factions.

I mostly bought up because fucking hell magmar is utterly designed around OH YOU HAVE THE RUSH 4/4 FRENZY RUSH GUY FOR 6.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #213177

is this one of those """free""" card games where the good cards cost 10000000 dollarydoos or is it actually free
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #213182

Mostly alright going freebie. Default stuff doesn't include the decent wipes but it does include enough things to go face and smash them.

There is a bit of a dispel meta in which some of the default vanilla meatslabs can pretty much end the game by being plopped down.

Magmar is sort of the green faction but they basically don't actually have all that big creatures and are utterly dependent on their creature based wipe to stick late game.

Stick to core set orbs since other than falcus and gro most of the good commons are in the core set.
Laharl Monthy
Byond Username: Laharl Montgommery

Post by Laharl Monthy » #214990

I got my hands on two obliterates and Klaxon thanks to the bundle, so I started off by running a Cassyvania Creep Deck.

I kinda wish they reworked Obliterate animation, but it's kinda satisfying blowing up the board before finishing off your opponent (if he survives).
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #215168

My abysian collection went in the opposite direction and I have lilithe deathwatch/arcanyst deck with two of those fat juicy spectral revenants to top it off.

One of them is prismatic he's my best good boy for topdecking into a win.

Also new season got a copy of that new guy you need to kill with spells or dispels and the new anti rush guy as part of my rewards for hitting gold like an hour before it went through.

Edit: Make a goofy as fuck vanar mechazor deck with my two copies of alter rex. It's pretty terrible because I don't have enough mechs and substitute with the vanar return minion to hand spell but playing mechazors from hand on some chump just made them rage quit the game so hard it froze up on my end. Alter rex is surprisingly good you combo it with a cheap mech the same turn and the HURR PLOP DOWN ONE CHROMATIC COLD shit is confounded by oof looks like I have recurring mechazors with at least one copy left in my hand if you nuke everything!
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358404

I keep getting emails from these guys about coming back and I'm tempted because I had fun but I'm not sure if I can fit it in with all the other plates I'm spinning. Anyone still playing this?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #358447

Last I looked into it the fuckers that bought them out started doing the fairy coin bought currency bullshit to make sure the money you put in to buy shit never fully got used up to keep you rolling them packs like a schlub.

Not sure if it deserves any play now.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358499

Incomptinence wrote:Last I looked into it the fuckers that bought them out stated doing the fairy coin bought currency bullshit to make sure the money you put in to buy shit never fully got used up to keep you rolling them packs like a schlub.

Not sure if it deserves any play now.
Just about every company that does microtransactions does them in off-number sets so you're stuck with an overage. I think Eternal is the only game I've played that didn't leave me with awkward change.