Tyranny

Talk about video games here
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Tyranny

Post by Drynwyn » #226440

This game is fantastic. It's Obsidian Entertainment's latest offering. The combat is just pretty good (It's basically the same as Pillars of Eternity, but with different character options), but the writing, and in particular the capacity for player choice, is incredible. Play this game.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Tyranny

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #226442

Counterpoint: someone on the internet said it was bad.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #226449

Does it even have lizards.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #226450

I've heard it's full of SJW garbage.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #226451

Then again, everything is SJW to you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #226561

InsaneHyena wrote:I've heard it's full of SJW garbage.
i have literally no idea how this idea would get out there

don't get me wrong, usually when people say "X is SJW garbage" I say "you're full of shit", but in this case, I didn't even see anything that COULD be construed as that. Granted, there's a TON of divergent paths, so I could have just missed all of it, but the only thing that could possibly be interpreted as sjw garbage is "some characters in a made-up world do not live in a society that precisely mimics western culture".

Anyway, I can see how someone would dislike the game, but if you think your tastes would run similar to mine, you should get the game.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #226638

Oh yes the game that had furry puppies try to maul me forcing me to kill them along with the rest of the village is sjw, sure.

One tip recruit don't execute party characters well at least the mages you miss out on a whole core.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #226644

Drynwyn wrote:
InsaneHyena wrote:I've heard it's full of SJW garbage.
i have literally no idea how this idea would get out there

don't get me wrong, usually when people say "X is SJW garbage" I say "you're full of shit", but in this case, I didn't even see anything that COULD be construed as that. Granted, there's a TON of divergent paths, so I could have just missed all of it, but the only thing that could possibly be interpreted as sjw garbage is "some characters in a made-up world do not live in a society that precisely mimics western culture".

Anyway, I can see how someone would dislike the game, but if you think your tastes would run similar to mine, you should get the game.
The kind of people who scream "reeee it's full of SJW garbage" because someone in the game isn't straight or it's possible to solve some/all of your problems without murdering them are the opposite face of the same retarded coin that gave us idiots screaming about how saving the princess is misogynist or some shit.

It all amounts to "this isn't to my personal tastes so anyone else who enjoys it is wrong"
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #226917

Why did they make this when there could have been a fallout game by them reeeeeee
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #226938

I read this thread wondering if the game would be good and it's just a bunch of arguing over SJW bullshit.

It seems like every CRPG that comes out has this exact same conversation.

Can we make a compromise and just have no characters in RPG's comment on sex or sexuality and leave it all up to the player to just assign people whatever the fuck they want?

I'll skip out on fuckable prostitutes if it means no more goddamn transgoblin demisexuals in my games either.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #226941

Timbrewolf wrote:I read this thread wondering if the game would be good and it's just a bunch of arguing over SJW bullshit.

It seems like every CRPG that comes out has this exact same conversation.

Can we make a compromise and just have no characters in RPG's comment on sex or sexuality and leave it all up to the player to just assign people whatever the fuck they want?

I'll skip out on fuckable prostitutes if it means no more goddamn transgoblin demisexuals in my games either.
game is good, but the story ends suddenly. The combat is basically Pillars of Eternity with different character options, if you liked Pillars of Eternity you'll like Tyranny.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #227011

PC and party members have different talents so none of that spec a paladin and here is this bitch with the same aura as you when you already have a perk boosting it bullshit.

The hub/home base area isn't a ghost town like caed nua, well once you get invested in it at least, so that is nice.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #227066

I am glad we are slowly making a return to better CRPG's.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #227589

Well from what I've seen of it its the opposite of SJW, the evil dude you're fight FOR is the dude of equal rights and law and order - the people you're fighting against are a bunch of raging matriarchal savages.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #227597

Malkevin wrote:Well from what I've seen of it its the opposite of SJW, the evil dude you're fight FOR is the dude of equal rights and law and order - the people you're fighting against are a bunch of raging matriarchal savages.
I'd say it's a very deliberately created gray area. The Overlord you work for doesn't discriminate based on race or sex, but has established a stratified society that permits slavery and torture. Meanwhile, the people you are conquering have a sexually discriminatory culture and lack the law and order established by the Overlord, but are individually less restricted and do not engage in slavery or torture at a societal level.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #227610

Been playing this on normal difficulty, got rolled by NPCs once I got across the river, not quite sure where I fucked up but oh well
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #227624

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Been playing this on normal difficulty, got rolled by NPCs once I got across the river, not quite sure where I fucked up but oh well
Might have just had a nasty run of bad luck with enemy crits, it happens. Healing potions are useful as "bad luck erasers".
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #227726

I think I might get it just because. My gaming funds are very limited, but for some reason everything feels stale and I need something new.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #229276

Why are you talking about SJW in a game that is about being an overlord's field judge?

Your team is a bunch of psychos, the closest thing to a paladin considers burning a town and enslaving its rebellious inhabitants the honourable choice.
The team pet? A savage furball obsessed with committing mass murder. Also you can slap her if she forgets her place, she APPROVES of that.

Also, I got to see a woman falling in love with her mortal enemy and make a baby girl... then I killed her husband in front of her, and even though I chose to spare the baby, she still got rejected by her father out of outrage for betraying the north.

And let's not get started on the rapist army that scoffs at raciism or sexism, but considers torture a polite pastime.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #230444

Their justification for no racism, no sexism, is that they literately consider "Might makes Right; let do what you will be the whole of the law" as an absolute truth. Racism and sexism is literally dismissing however strong someone may be groundlessly.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #230470

Supermichael777 wrote:Their justification for no racism, no sexism, is that they literately consider "Might makes Right; let do what you will be the whole of the law" as an absolute truth. Racism and sexism is literally dismissing however strong someone may be groundlessly.
Yeah. Under Kyros both genders really are equal. As someone above pointed out, you technically are fighting against matriarchal society - in the Tiers, women can own land, while men can own ships (or something like that).
I finished the game, and the only bad thing I can say is that it ended quite abruptly, though devs said they went for "wide" rather than "long", so game material is spread across many playthroughs. As for game design, I really, REALLY liked it - you are not a leader of a merry band of heroes. You have (minor spoilers) a Disfavored soldier (mentioned above), Scarlet Chorus Blood Fury (mentioned above), old scribe (who betrayed his order to Kyros), tidecaster (defeatist, pretty much rallying people for a lost cause), beastwoman (somewhere between CN and CE) and a 15-year old with a power to make people who hear her do what she wants, who nearly killed the Overlord (and got herself a power limiter that way). Plus design of Archons was really nice, leaving them as something more than one-dimensional questgivers (yes, even Tunon).

Overall, a nice game, though it had only two acts. I think it would be better if they squeezed in a another act between first and second, maybe dealing with actually subjugating conquered lands, and having third be about those groups doing uprisings (plus what happens normally in second act).

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot there is act three. But it's so short it doesn't count. If they wanted the game to end like this, they should have thrown something between first and second.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #230784

This game has an ironic inversion to how most WRPG work usually.
Normally you're given choices that change little to nothing in the overall plot, and when the time comes, you're given a slideshow or something similar explaining what happened after, with no influence in the plot, but weight in the ending.

In Tyranny your actions affect constantly the plot, people like to point to your previous actions, but when the dust settles, and the archons are dead or under your command, the final point remains, Kyros treats you like an enemy, no matter what.

The final act is a joke, you talk to the archons, kill a couple of them and you're done, easily under one gour.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #230913

Yesh. I personally would have accepted that, if they expanded other acts a bit, added several other rebel factions/expanded existing ones and added subjugation missions for them too.
Though (SPOILERS SPOILERS) Kyros being hostile makes sense. It's thought in-universe by some people that he sent Nerat and Ashe to subjugate the Tiers because there was no chance they would work together, and he would have one less archon to occupy during peace. The Tiers were the last part of the continent not under her command, and it seems Kyros wanted less warlike archons (Nerat, who is a great spymaster but not someone you want serving under you during peace and Ashe, who is a goddamn archon of WAR). Plus, wording in the Edict of Execution pretty much ENSURES someone will break it in Ascension Hall, thus doing ****SPOILERS**** and providing him with an enemy to send his armies against, thus stabilizing her empire.

In other words, it all went just as she planned. Or maybe ****SPOILERS**** were a happy side-effect of his first plan.
Edit: It even makes sense to include Tunon and Bleden Mark into the **SPOILER**, since beings with their skills (being ultra-efficient judge and bureaucrat and nearly-unstoppable assassin respectively) would be needed for **SPOILERS**
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #231036

I'm actually thinking Kyros engineered the whole thing so an enemy would remain, and the rest of the continent would stay quiet and not entertaing thoughts of rebellion.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #231094

That's what I wanted to say, between all *SPOILERS*.
Either that, or he planned for Archons to fight, and Fatebinder was just a nice bonus, after which she engaged in quick-planning.
I play:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #231441

I'm not actually sure about Kyros's gender, I've seen different characters use Him and Her to refer to the Overlord.

The reallllllly old fatebinder who seems knowledgeable about this shit used female pronouns, though.
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #231485

Drynwyn wrote:I'm not actually sure about Kyros's gender, I've seen different characters use Him and Her to refer to the Overlord.

The reallllllly old fatebinder who seems knowledgeable about this shit used female pronouns, though.
Some archons use both pronouns in the same sentence, and once you become the boss you cannot ask them to be clear already.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #231521

Could be less Kyros is trans and more Kyros is some sort of inhuman magical abomination that can shape shift or has a few bodies under hive mind control.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #231525

campaign is short but replay value is good. you could play it probably twice without repeating almost any content, up to 4 times probably to do everything

they practically beat it into your head through the entire game that renown = actual magical (quasi-divine) power. kyros is practically god because people think it's true. if you talk to sirin she tells a story about almost making kyros commit suicide while performing for xir, and you can rules lawyer all the edicts i've tried, which leads me to believe kyros is not infallible. my take on it was the original plan was to get nerat and ashe to go to the tiers then get killed by the edict if they that dumb, failing that let them waste their efforts fighting each other, but that plan eventually unraveled because the fatebinder is 2 clever 4 u. i suppose we'll see in the inevitable DLC what the plan was
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #231530

>game called tyranny
>HG posts in the thread
Is this pottery?
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #231609

Incomptinence wrote:Could be less Kyros is trans and more Kyros is some sort of inhuman magical abomination that can shape shift or has a few bodies under hive mind control.
I think it's done for secrecy, to maintain a veil of mistery, so people don't think of Kyros as an archon, like the others
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #231707

Rules lawyering Edicts I remember hearing about. I do need to play the damn game through.
Spoiler:
Apparently you can get a year for the first Edict if you just rest for 8 days and not read it since it didn't specify WHICH Day of Swords.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #231734

Yeah, Edicts are fun both mechanics-wise and lore-wise. If I ever ran DnD, I would take 3.5 e ritual rules, throw some "places of power" (say, really high ancient towers. Throw in some mountains, caves, groves, what have you), and add a bunch of rituals which can only be cast from there.
Spoiler:
Anyway, I saw a theory that Kyros is, due to belief, so much into the "overlord" thing that their gender doesn't really matter.
I play:
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #231792

ThanatosRa wrote:Rules lawyering Edicts I remember hearing about. I do need to play the damn game through.
Spoiler:
Apparently you can get a year for the first Edict if you just rest for 8 days and not read it since it didn't specify WHICH Day of Swords.
the cause of this is actually a simple programming "error" but it's funny and makes sense in the setting