Friday the 13th: The Vidya - NES Jason update

Talk about video games here
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Re: Friday the 13th: The Vidya - BETA EXTENDED

Post by capi duffman » #238728

Bottom post of the previous page:

All things considered, having in mind the success of Dead By Daylight, and the current reception of this game, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is making a game with that concept right now.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #238733

Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #238735

Delet this.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #238753

Not a xeno
delet
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #238761

Dead by Daylight shitters and streamers were screaming about Jason being OP and how the game should be balanced competitively. This was their response.
Jason is OP. He was in the films, he was in the beta, and he will remain that way in the final game. That was our vision from the start. You are supposed to feel overwhelmed. You're supposed to be tense and feel underpowered. That is the whole point. If you're looking for a game where you can 1v1 and have a real shot, you should look elsewhere. Jason Voorhees is arguably the greatest slasher of all time. Providing anything less; would be a travesty to fans and disrespectful to Pamela. ;)
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #238788

DrPillzRedux wrote:Dead by Daylight shitters and streamers were screaming about Jason being OP and how the game should be balanced competitively. This was their response.
Jason is OP. He was in the films, he was in the beta, and he will remain that way in the final game. That was our vision from the start. You are supposed to feel overwhelmed. You're supposed to be tense and feel underpowered. That is the whole point. If you're looking for a game where you can 1v1 and have a real shot, you should look elsewhere. Jason Voorhees is arguably the greatest slasher of all time. Providing anything less; would be a travesty to fans and disrespectful to Pamela. ;)
Agreed, and the streamers were mostly acting like idiots in the games I saw, if they expect Jason not to kill at least one of SEVEN players, they seriously should rethink what kind of game this is.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #238825

It depends. Jason should have the advantage, but there is a point where the game just isn't interesting due to too extreme an asymmetric experience. It was a large part of why Evolve never caught on. Sure, evolve had a shitty payment scheme, but at its core the interplay between Monster and Hunters was not fun at all.

The real question is if trying to survive is fun, even if it is hard. DBD Has some balance issues at times but I rarely feel just totally locked out of a game. Even 1v1 you may feel totally overwhelmed as a survivor but you also feel like you can do it, and it is rare for a death in DBD to feel completely unfair. Player skill is a huge factor in that game which is why sometimes at lower ranks the games are blowouts: The better players usually get pips, the worse ones don't. I am not sure the attitude of "Doesn't matter how bad a chance the survivors have, Jason is meant to be OP" really understands how asymmetric games are supposed to work. I mean SS13 is an asymetric game where an antag is meant to be able to easily 1v1 via surprise and there still are nerfs to antags who remove players from rounds in super uninteractive uninteresting ways. Even though you probably should lose, it should feel good to lose. You should feel like you were outplayed if it was a blowout, that you messed up or that it was a good fight.

But I have no idea if Friday the 13th will be good or bad. I honestly haven't followed the game that much because a lot of its core concepts don't speak to me like they do other people. For example I don't have a lot of loyalty to the franchise and I don't find the idea of Jason ultimately more interesting than The Trapper. I like the purity of DBD's hide and seek and pursuit mechanics and while the idea of variable objectives seems fun they are sorta pushing the helplessness angle a bit too hard for my tastes. Ironically, I feel more engaged in a game like DBD where I literally can't fight back but have a lot of control over if I live or die, and where the best games tend to be the best games for both parties.

For an example of an asymmetric horror game that really shows how dangerous the whole 'the killer is super OP guys' mindset is, check out Stop It Slender. It is a dumb gmod slenderman game, but it died off pretty fast despite being at peak slender because of how stupidly OP slenderman was: There was absolutely nothing you could do as a victim to change the outcome of the game, even a moderately skilled slenderman literally won every game. And it wasn't a particularly fun game, it wasn't like it was a battle of wits you were slowly losing, it was just peekabo over and over and over, so you couldn't even find enjoyment out of how long you delayed things or the tricks you pulled to stave off the inevitable.

Tl;dr: It doesn't matter what the win ratios are as long as it is fun. If the game has me on the edge of my seat and super invested in the outcome its good, and part of that happening is that Jason needs to be stronger than you, but in a way that doesn't shut you out of the game.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #239117

If they move the focus of the game away from "beat Jason" and towards "just survive and get out by whatever means" I could see it working.

Like L4D - the infected aren't so much an enemy as they are a constant environmental hazard, your goal is to get everyone from A to B and not die. If you just fanny around the game will occasionally send a mob after you to hurry you along.

Jason isn't an opponent. He's just there. Your goal is to get out alive. Maybe stopping to help another survivor is what gets you fuckin' killed. Maybe trying to go it alone means you take too fucking long getting the car working and wind up with a machete in the face.
DrPillzRedux wrote: >running around
>2 chicks fix up the car
>Jason comes, drags out the driver starting it, punches off their head
>he teleports away
>me and other guy hop in car and go
>gun it down the road and see Jason mutilating a Chad
>turn on to the exit road
>goth girl screaming for us to stop
>NOPE
>keep driving and escape
>goth girl gets brutally murdered alone
See, when I read this as the kind of shit that happens in a game i thought "that sounds fucking awesome"
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Re: Friday the 13th: The Vidya - STILL NO RELEASE DATE

Post by DrPillzRedux » #265902

New trailer out. Devs are making more excuses on no release date. If you just want to see fucked up killing go to 1:20.

[youtube]amhP0FJiwhc[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #265942

i forgot this existed, hmmm

okay okay, lets have some content in this post

The trailer itself is just killing animations to music, which, like, i'm not COMPLAINING but i'm pretty sure there's a game beyond there. It's a damn shame they can't finish this because I had high hopes for this game.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #265951

will be entertaining for the first 20 or so hours and then rapidly get boring as you realize the devs intentionally made it near hopeless to survive against, let alone beat any jason with any knowledge on the role and will refuse to budge from that stance

its more like "friday the 13th: the interactive movie" in that respect
Last edited by Kel on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #266095

I played the beta for over 50 hours but that's just me.

Other people and prox VOIP make this game amazing.

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #266144

Kel wrote:will be entertaining for the first 20 or so hours and then rapidly get boring as you realize the devs intentionally made it near hopeless to survive against, let alone bet any jason with any knowledge on the role and will refuse to budge from that stance

I think that at least one or two people should ALWAYS survive. If jason is wiping every time then gamesux.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #266156

Armhulen wrote:
Kel wrote:will be entertaining for the first 20 or so hours and then rapidly get boring as you realize the devs intentionally made it near hopeless to survive against, let alone bet any jason with any knowledge on the role and will refuse to budge from that stance

I think that at least one or two people should ALWAYS survive. If jason is wiping every time then gamesux.
The devs are aiming for 50% of the time Jason will kill everyone.

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #266157

DrPillzRedux wrote:
Armhulen wrote:

The devs are aiming for 50% of the time Jason will kill everyone.
:roll: I want jason to always kill MOST of the people, what they're asking for is insane.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #266163

He's Jason. They don't care about it being balanced evenly. It's not meant to be fair.

They just want counselors to have a glimmer of hope so that escaping actually means something.

a correct post by pillz
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #270420

I anticipate this game eagerly and hope it does not get cancelled

DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #270514

Togopal wrote:I anticipate this game eagerly and hope it does not get cancelled
>a game that's waiting on console certification to release
>canceled

no

a correct post by pillz
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #270664

i'm looking forward to this but i'll be iffy about buying, can someone vouch for this being worth 30 bux at launch or if I should wait for the 50% off sale
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #270686

iamgoofball wrote:i'm looking forward to this but i'll be iffy about buying, can someone vouch for this being worth 30 bux at launch or if I should wait for the 50% off sale
there will be plenty of people who will vouch, including me
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #270855

It's worth every cent. The beta was the most fun in any game I've ever had.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #272824

All counselors finally revealed, in one image. Several of these are kikestarter backers who paid a lot of money.

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #272830

>fat nerd

Y E S
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #272832

Those are some ugly fucking models, Jesus.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #272833

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Those are some ugly fucking models, Jesus.
always remember that lighting is important
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #273821

They just got their ESRB rating! Getting closer.

Also revealed Jason's new ability: Stalk. Read up on it.

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/top ... -revealed/

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Re: Friday the 13th: The Vidya - RED ALERT ITS HAPPENING

Post by DrPillzRedux » #274377

ITS HAPPENING
Physical CD option has just been pulled from their store page.

THIS EITHER MEANS THEY HAVE GONE GOLD OR ITS BEEN DELAYED

WE LAUNCH SOON, LADS

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #274382

Timbrewolf wrote:
Oh god I can't control my fucking dick

Gotta duct tape this thing to my thigh

Clobber it with my shoe
truly amazing
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #274571

Big news!

The game is 99% likely to launch in April. The devs made a post about the removal of physical CD preorder being removed from the store. Basically they can't meet demand by launch, so they're giving everyone who bought a physical copy a digital key for the game, AND the physical disk whenever it's ready.

GET HYPE

Edit: also, last chance to buy the special Tom Savini Jason for $6. You cannot purchase it ever again after tomorrow.

a correct post by pillz
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Re: Friday the 13th: The Vidya - LAUNCH INCOMING

Post by Jacough » #275143

Personally I'd rather see a Nightmare on Elm Street game (yeah I know about the NES one but it doesn't count cause it sucked). Jason always struck me as one of the more vanilla 80s slasher characters while Freddy Krueger is a lot more interesting and creative, plus he's always had a consistent actor playing him.

Probably wouldn't be hard to get Robert England on board either. I mean, he's not exactly at a high point in his film career these days.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #275255

Full file size for the game will be 3.2GB. Pretty small, awesome.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #276852

Jason is getting traps. He'll spawn with a certain amount based on which Jason it is. They're basically ghetto beartraps that are slightly better than the ones the counselors can place. They can only be used outside and he hides them under leaves.

He cannot get more during the game. Counselors cannot deactivate them, meaning if they want to get to a certain thing (fuse box, car door) someone will have to take the hit.

a correct post by pillz
Quanti
Byond Username: Killaslot

Post by Quanti » #277232

When are we getting a release date for this thing already.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #277245

The devs are saying this month. As soon as console cert is done they will tell us. I expect in 2 weeks.

Also, they're adding an addition to Jason's traps. They can be disarmed VERY SLOWLY with a switchblade, but it uses it up.

a correct post by pillz
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #277671

i'd hope so

>stare at trap whose hitbox consumes a critical interactable
>literally nothing you can do but condemn someone to death

shit gameplay and immersion shattering
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #277674

The traps don't kill you. They act the same as the traps counselors get but slightly better.

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #278016

Ripping off dead by daylight :roll:
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #278033

Pc only or can we expect it on xbox?
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #278059

It's coming out this month on PC, Xbone, and PS4 at the same time. Only digital for consoles at first.

New screenshot for the day. Part 8 Jason grabbing his throwing dart.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #279683

Pretty much final attributes for each counselor has been posted. See it here. Pick your main.

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/top ... ear-final/

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #283083

Tom Savini Jason revealed! You can't buy this anymore. It was only available for a limited time for $6.

[youtube]vmuQlmAIq5s[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Re: Friday the 13th: The Vidya - Releasing May 26th!

Post by DrPillzRedux » #283798

Release date boys it's happening, May 26th!

[youtube]1MQFpcWfc9c[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #283799

ABOOT TIME, EH?
Quanti
Byond Username: Killaslot

Post by Quanti » #283967

DrPillzRedux IN APRIL wrote:It's coming out this month on PC
how can we ever trust the in industry ever again?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #284013

They did it specifically to cuck you, quanti.

a correct post by pillz
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #284830

Just hearing about the trap mechanic has convinced me to not buy this game, and I was considering it because I like dead by daylight a lot with strong killers.

The idea of knowing with 100% certainty that there is a trap, something that is meant to be a surprise, and being unable to do anything about it besides forcing someone to blunder into it or spend an allegedly expensive item to disarm it, shows just how bad the game's design is going to be. At this point Jason can just place down walls that mandate a character die to pass them.

There is a difference between "Jason should have the advantage" and "We are just going to make it so that Jason doesn't have to think at all about what they are doing because you can have no meaningful interactions with him."

As Kel it put, there is a point where this stops being a game and becomes the Jason show. And forcing you to step on a beartrap is that point. It isn't even immersive or true to the movies. What, so all the councilers see the trap and rather than, you know, just not stepping on it carefully as they do whatever they need to do someone goes "Well someone has to shove their fucking leg in this shit?" No one thought "Why don't we just poke it with a stick to trigger it?"

The entire point of asymmetric gameplay is that it creates a scenario where you are going up against real humans rather than AI. If you are removing one side's ability to make real choices in order to play well you may as well just use AI. You can have unbalanced asymmetric gameplay without creating no-win gameplay situations for one side.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #284865

He only gets 3 traps and they don't insta-kill you. You can just step in them when he teleports, which you'll know when he does, and then heal yourself. He won't be able to teleport to it in time.

The size of that is enough to, what... block the phone box? Deal with 1 trap and the rest are useless for the remainder of the match.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #285670

This is now banned in Germany. They're trying to appeal but it will not be done by launch.

a correct post by pillz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #285682

Germany bans everything. They banned C&C:Generals until they gave them a version of the game that replaced all the human models with robots
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #285688

Thanks Germany, you will be the reason robots murder all humans. Thanks lex
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #285704

They appealed it, but then German said no, you're staying banned.

a correct post by pillz