Restrictive Naming in Character Setup

Resolved.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Restrictive Naming in Character Setup

Post by danno » #275994

:)

What do you boys think about making it so that in character setup, instead of having:

Name: [ ]

We have:

First name: [ ] Last name: [ ]

lizards would have 3 boxes to fill with dashes in between, plasmamen would have 2 boxes (one for a roman numeral)
clown names and shit would still be 1 box
what do you think > u <
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Restrictive Naming in Character Setup

Post by iamgoofball » #275996

Why are names this much of a problem
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276001

iamgoofball wrote:Why are names this much of a problem
because the name policy isn't written down so it keeps popping up

re the original post: If the name policy is going to be upheld I don't see why not, though I don't know if I like the lizard idea/clowns and mimes should keep the same system
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276002

Too much of a hassle and too restrictive when we have more than 3 races anyway. The policy is good enough and only a few vocal parties make a big deal out of it.

Doesn't really solve the problem it seeks to solve anyway since there's nothing stopping me from just running around as "Dick Butt" or whatever other stupid name within the two-names framework but still within the complaint range of the policy.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276004

cedarbridge wrote:Doesn't really solve the problem it seeks to solve anyway since there's nothing stopping me from just running around as "Dick Butt" or whatever other stupid name within the two-names framework but still within the complaint range of the policy.
the vast majority of my name related ahelps have been "hey that doesn't follow firstname lastname please fix that", though, so it would certainly help
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #276308

because we as coders disagree with your policy and it's also not followed by many of our downstreams.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #276368

Fun fact, downstreams are the sole reason we can't unify code and policy properly and basically they ruin everything ;)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #276372

Dumb names are mildly annoying but it's your job as admin to keep it straight, not get the coders to prop you up because you can't be bothered to stand.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #276373

ShadowDimentio wrote:Dumb names are mildly annoying but it's your job as admin to keep it straight, not get the coders to prop you up because you can't be bothered to stand.
wew
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #276374

Saegrimr wrote: wew
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #276375

kevinz000 wrote:
Saegrimr wrote: wew
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #276377

fuck off my OC's have more than two words in their names
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #276401

My name is Poopfeast Fourtwenty, thankfully it falls within the guidelines presented in this thread.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276409

But what about 3-part names like Allad Minsa Recucks?
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #276410

Grazyn wrote:But what about 3-part names like Allad Minsa Recucks?
I want to play as Cash "Bigg" Johnson again, the hot shot lawyer who advertises his shitty law firm all over the station via PDA junk mail and crayon messages in the hall with promises of helping you sue literally anyone and everyone on the station and get all the space cash settlements your heart desires.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #276419

The rules currently are nothing excessively OC, it should try to fit in within a wacky space station setting, and admins can change them if they think it's dumb. Admins might not warn or ban you for names they don't like, but nothing stops them from changing a name on the spot.

I personally think nicknames are fine, Cash "Bigg" Johnson don't ruin someones SS13 round, but such nicknames are currently the subject of an admin memo MOTD.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #276420

Grazyn wrote:But what about 3-part names like Allad Minsa Recucks?
It's an obviously silly name but it's obfuscated, has a first and last name, is phonetically sound, and isn't instantly obvious it's a bunch of words mashed together. Joke names are ok, names like Clown Fuckersixty Niner that involve no effort will be dicked around with by admins as they want.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276453

Just wanted to make it public that I had missed the memo and we're only supposed to be nuking firstname "nickname" lastname formatted names, otherwise the name policy is the above
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #276467

Lmao so anti-RP you destroy nicknames that have effort put into them LMAO
you are mom is gay
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #276586

PKPenguin321 wrote:Fun fact, downstreams are the sole reason we can't unify code and policy properly and basically they ruin everything ;)
What are configs?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #276600

I have never asked this before because traditionally "it would mess with downstreams" has been used to block features that i do not terribly like, but why are we at all beholden to our downstream servers other then rudimentary politeness? Surely if they are that against a feature we implement that badly they can either fork or code a revert on their own branch, right?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #276602

You guys aren't answering my question:

How and Why are weird out of the ordinary names so much of a problem that we need to have the administrators step in?
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #276607

iamgoofball wrote:You guys aren't answering my question:

How and Why are weird out of the ordinary names so much of a problem that we need to have the administrators step in?
Yeah, why would people want more immersion in a roleplaying game? We will never untangle this mystery.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276608

leibniz wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:You guys aren't answering my question:

Yeah, why would people want more immersion in a roleplaying game? We will never untangle this mystery.
You can ahelp if you think a name is too immersion-breaking.

I think that pushing hard-coded name policy will just give new players the incorrect impression that tgstation is a mid/high-RP server.
Last edited by Grazyn on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #276609

I don't necessarily agree with hard coding name structure but being actually concerned that people might RP more than they do now like it is a bad thing is fucking laughable
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276613

Wyzack wrote:I don't necessarily agree with hard coding name structure but being actually concerned that people might RP more than they do now like it is a bad thing is fucking laughable
I'd personally like more RP but it is a fact that tgstation is a (very) light-RP server. New players will be getting conflicting signs when they're presented with a high-RP feature like hardcoded name policy only to see others shout memes in all caps over the radio, "IT'S REV" and such as soon as they step on the station. We already have new players constantly asking on OOC wether certain roleplay features apply here (like immediately shouting the name of your killer right off the cloner etc.) because the confusion is real. We should just accept the server is light/no-RP instead of trying to push these "policies" which go against the flow.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #276614

>It is in the dumpster so we should all wallow in the trash

I strongly disagree and i think the recent memos on ghostbegging and not referencing out of character concepts like rounds and roundtype are a massive step in the right direction
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276626

Grazyn wrote:We should just accept the server is light/no-RP instead of trying to push these "policies" which go against the flow.
No, there are plenty of servers where this is already the case. TG is not one of them. Please stop pushing the meme.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #276637

>/tg/ is low/no rp

if I hear this meme one more time

It's a defeatist cop-out by people who don't know better. RP is playing your character in a way that makes sense in your setting or context. In CM this means not doing surgery as a grunt because their setting don't allow grunts to have advanced medical knowledge, so being shot means emoting yelling and being in pain until a doctor tends to you. In /tg/, we have no restrictions in our settings, so assistants are allowed to be fully fledged medical professionals, so any assistant can start patching up the wounded. Both are roleplay- one setting just allows for far more than the other. All it means is that CM likes to limit what a player can do with their setting while /tg/ limits what a player can do by their own skill and desire to do something.

What is not roleplay is when someone does something not consistent with the setting or context. On CM that would be a grunt fixing himself up. On /tg/, it would be something like yelling out 'THE ROUNDTYPE IS REV' because as generous as our setting is, there's very little IC justification to use those words and it's very much more likely the person yelling it is instead referencing an OOC concept.

Please don't confuse RP with more detailed settings.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276712

The explanation I like is that on /tg/ people are roleplaying as half insane demigods

Remote cloning means your death is entirely irrelevant, and immortality is no big deal - it makes sense that people might go slightly crazy, and that employees who stick around longer would begin to grow jaded and more robust - if you spend X time as an engineer IC, you can do surgery because you could have spent even longer in past lives as a doctor

"/tg/ is low rp" is a stupid thing to say, because it equates us with servers that make no effort to maintain any semblance of setting or lore

this is why we
  • bwoink people for using netspeak IC
  • bwoink people for ooc in ic
  • bwoink people for names that are obviously not ok, like number spam or something
  • have centcomm messages come from centcomm and not "admin announcements"
  • have people who will play along with in character gimmicks like inspectors
to name just a few

EDIT: wanted to add that since I'm aware I was misinterpreting the name policy I'm not in favor of an enforced character name format in code
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #276715

The phrase RP has been memeified the same way the term greytide has. It means we're a D&D-esque traditional style game, where situations and stories are built by immersive player interaction while still allowing excessively wacky and hilarious situations to sprout up. RP doesn't mean "if you don't emote breathing and respect my cat OC I will ban you."
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276716

PKPenguin321 wrote:The phrase RP has been memeified the same way the term minor IC crime has. It means we're a D&D-esque traditional style game, where situations and stories are built by immersive player interaction while still allowing excessively wacky and hilarious situations to sprout up. RP doesn't mean "if you don't emote breathing and respect my cat OC I will ban you."
the problem with this arises from people outside of /tg/ using RP in a more traditional sense you describe, but people from /tg/ using the meme definition

at least that's what I see outside of the forums/in game
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #276729

Qbopper wrote:Remote cloning means your death is entirely irrelevant, and immortality is no big deal - it makes sense that people might go slightly crazy, and that employees who stick around longer would begin to grow jaded and more robust - if you spend X time as an engineer IC, you can do surgery because you could have spent even longer in past lives as a doctor
Thing is unless you are religious or believe in souls in another way cloning is scary AF and your death is not actually irrelevant. Sure you have all your old memories but, you are not the guy that died. You are guy with his/her looks and memories, an imitation. The real you died before your first cloning. The new you is just a fraud, an impostor that seems completely identical but is actually a new person born of the cloner.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #276737

Never forgetti that the server that claims to hail from the tabletop rpg board has less rp than the videogame general server
you are mom is gay
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276745

Owegno wrote:
Qbopper wrote:Remote cloning means your death is entirely irrelevant, and immortality is no big deal - it makes sense that people might go slightly crazy, and that employees who stick around longer would begin to grow jaded and more robust - if you spend X time as an engineer IC, you can do surgery because you could have spent even longer in past lives as a doctor
Thing is unless you are religious or believe in souls in another way cloning is scary AF and your death is not actually irrelevant. Sure you have all your old memories but, you are not the guy that died. You are guy with his/her looks and memories, an imitation. The real you died before your first cloning. The new you is just a fraud, an impostor that seems completely identical but is actually a new person born of the cloner.
all the more reason for people to completely fucking snap, the distinction of "am I still me?" is enough to fuck someone up
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #276763

That was mostly my point, but I found it wrong to say death is irrelevant since I have a feeling most spacemen are atheists.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276765

I wanted to avoid actual religious/philosophy is all
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276770

lntigracy wrote:Never forgetti that the server that claims to hail from the tabletop rpg board has less rp than the videogame general server
I wonder how many players who can trace their lineage back to 4chan.org/tg/ are still here
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276775

Grazyn wrote:
lntigracy wrote:Never forgetti that the server that claims to hail from the tabletop rpg board has less rp than the videogame general server
I wonder how many players who can trace their lineage back to 4chan.org/tg/ are still here
Hi
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #276814

Moving this to policy because it's what it has become, aside, the name policy is the most garbage thing the admins have ever done and I hate everyone involved in producing it.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276832

oranges wrote:Moving this to policy because it's what it has become, aside, the name policy is the most garbage thing the admins have ever done and I hate everyone involved in producing it.
isn't it dead beyond "don't have awful names or firstname nickname lastname" though
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #276838

why would you even make it more than "don't have an awful name like Hitler"
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276839

because people were abusing the nickname format and the headmins got tired of it? I didn't make the change, I don't know the details

it was old anyways so the new team can throw it out at any time
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #276851

oranges wrote:Moving this to policy because it's what it has become, aside, the name policy is the most garbage thing the admins have ever done and I hate everyone involved in producing it.
oranges bby why u gotta be so hurtful
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276860

it's in his signature so it's ok
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #276872

"abusing"

you never cease to amaze
you are mom is gay
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #276881

you aren't having fun MY way.

was i really wrong about the case of autistic powertripping kikes making up the majority of the administration scuse me coderbase

was I REALLY WRONG
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #276883

John_Oxford wrote:you aren't having fun MY way.

was i really wrong about the case of autistic powertripping kikes making up the majority of the administration scuse me coderbase

was I REALLY WRONG
>tfw you cant sign up as XXX HITLER NIGGERDICKS XXX
stupid KIKE admins
Spoiler:
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #276914

I honestly made this as a bait thread lmao
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #276945

lntigracy wrote:"abusing"

you never cease to amaze
Why are you, a person with no involvement with us anymore in any way, bothering to post here? Can't stand a minute without having attention?

Anyway, on topic, name policies other than "don't have a stupid borderline ooc name", is stupid and is not fun for anyone.