Silicon policy. ick.

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

User avatar
Kangaraptor
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 am
Location: dank memes
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Kangaraptor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:03 pm #943

Just putting in my two cents on it (though I'm sure a bunch of sperging retards that don't actually understand or TRY to understand Asimov will crawl out of the woodworks and say I'm wrong).

The whole silicon policy is kinda dumb. Not because it's nonfunctional, but because it's taking a system inherently imperfect and bending it with meta regulations so as to stop those imperfections from properly showing without subversion (which detracts from the experience of playing a borg/AI unless your sole purpose in doing so is to sit there going 'yes human of course human no issues human').

Honestly, with all the effort that went into the policy, I don't get why someone didn't try cooking up another lawset that aligns better to what people expect AIs to behave like on /tg/station.
Image



User avatar
Psyentific
 
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Psyentific » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 pm #951

Kangaraptor wrote:Just putting in my two cents on it (though I'm sure a bunch of sperging retards that don't actually understand or TRY to understand Asimov will crawl out of the woodworks and say I'm wrong).

The whole silicon policy is kinda dumb. Not because it's nonfunctional, but because it's taking a system inherently imperfect and bending it with meta regulations so as to stop those imperfections from properly showing without subversion (which detracts from the experience of playing a borg/AI unless your sole purpose in doing so is to sit there going 'yes human of course human no issues human').

Honestly, with all the effort that went into the policy, I don't get why someone didn't try cooking up another lawset that aligns better to what people expect AIs to behave like on /tg/station.


Switch the default to Corporate.
OR
Give AIs the ability to choose their default lawset from a list of "Benevolent" lawsets (Corp, Asimov, Paladin)
OR
Alter Asimov to Safeguard (Bay-Asimov)

Asimov's original laws were a means to explore human nature - That is, Humans harm themselves and each other by existing, and Asimovian 'Bots are supposed to prevent that. The Matrix is pretty asimovian. Getting an Engiborg to confine every human in a barren 1x1 box made of walls is completely asimovian, despite being rogue as shit.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.

User avatar
Kangaraptor
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 am
Location: dank memes
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Kangaraptor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:32 pm #952

Psyentific wrote:
Kangaraptor wrote:Just putting in my two cents on it (though I'm sure a bunch of sperging retards that don't actually understand or TRY to understand Asimov will crawl out of the woodworks and say I'm wrong).

The whole silicon policy is kinda dumb. Not because it's nonfunctional, but because it's taking a system inherently imperfect and bending it with meta regulations so as to stop those imperfections from properly showing without subversion (which detracts from the experience of playing a borg/AI unless your sole purpose in doing so is to sit there going 'yes human of course human no issues human').

Honestly, with all the effort that went into the policy, I don't get why someone didn't try cooking up another lawset that aligns better to what people expect AIs to behave like on /tg/station.


Switch the default to Corporate.
OR
Give AIs the ability to choose their default lawset from a list of "Benevolent" lawsets (Corp, Asimov, Paladin)
OR
Alter Asimov to Safeguard (Bay-Asimov)

Asimov's original laws were a means to explore human nature - That is, Humans harm themselves and each other by existing, and Asimovian 'Bots are supposed to prevent that. The Matrix is pretty asimovian. Getting an Engiborg to confine every human in a barren 1x1 box made of walls is completely asimovian, despite being rogue as shit.



Thanks, you've better articulated my point. *bow*

I wouldn't mind having the default be corporate, honestly; while it has its ambiguities, it's more interesting to play and thematic(!) to the setting.
Image

User avatar
Psyentific
 
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Psyentific » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:38 pm #954

Kangaraptor wrote:Thanks, you've better articulated my point. *bow*

I wouldn't mind having the default be corporate, honestly; while it has its ambiguities, it's more interesting to play and thematic(!) to the setting.

I've made this exact thread with these exact points about twice before.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.

User avatar
Kangaraptor
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 am
Location: dank memes
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Kangaraptor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm #956

Psyentific wrote:
Kangaraptor wrote:Thanks, you've better articulated my point. *bow*

I wouldn't mind having the default be corporate, honestly; while it has its ambiguities, it's more interesting to play and thematic(!) to the setting.

I've made this exact thread with these exact points about twice before.

Ah, this I didn't know. Unfortunate, I guess.

I think the primary issue I have with the policy as it is is that it takes Asimov, screws it in the ass, and uses it to turn AI/borgs into a punishment job until some kind traitor or RNG gives you a good law.
Image

User avatar
Numbers
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Numbers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 pm #960

Despite my days of headcoding being over I will stress this a thousand and more times:

The person that can switch the AI laws is the server owner. Miauw gave the functionality of server owners being able to change AI laws by a config setting. AI laws are no longer hardcoded.

IN OTHER WORDS: NOT A CODING ISSUE BUT A SERVER ISSUE
"I've told you about Erro, I've warned you dwag." - Unknown
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Psyentific
 
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Psyentific » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm #961

So, we bug SoS? Or...?

C'mon man, I've got a lynch mob all ready and formed up for this.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.

User avatar
Numbers
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Silicon policy. ick.

Postby Numbers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm #963

Yes, you bug SoS to change the config options. And please don't make PRs trying to stealthly change the default AI lawset. That stuff is in very poor taste.
"I've told you about Erro, I've warned you dwag." - Unknown
ImageImageImage


Return to Archived/Deleted

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users