[Deleted] Carbonhell -- Fixing servers problems for fun

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Carbonhell

Byond Username: CarbonHell

Carbonhell -- Fixing servers problems for fun

Postby Carbonhell » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:31 am #435040

Ay. In case you don't know me I'm mainly a Hippie Station Headmin, but I also keep in contact with /tg/ and the codebase in particular.

Honestly, I do not think /tg/ needs any sort of overhaul. It's currently one of the main SS13 servers with the best maintained code in my opinion and with an okay management without serious problems. That said there are still problems which, by hopping on the server and asking in OOC, need to be tackled.

The main problem is whether the direction of the server should focus on being med or low RP. Currently, it appears to be very low RP. This in turn encourages a prevalent greytide, and compounded with rounds having no admins, makes for very unfun rounds. I think a serious discussion about the direction of the server is needed. To ultimately decide whether or not to keep the current system in place, or to shift towards a higher level of RP standards to curb the behaviour.

Another problem which I previously outlined, which is very minor, is that servers seem to have extended periods of time with no admins on and several players on. This can be easily solved by focusing on Admin Applications more, encourage Admin trainers to find good admin material. It shouldn't be hard, I played only a few rounds and I saw some good people in OOC already, they should definitely be given a chance if they don't have an excessively bad past and they're willing to contribute to the server.

One important thing I want to do is use player polls more to discuss the direction of the server. I do not think they're used enough right now, and I think players deserve to be included in important server decision, to an extent. Their feedback should at least be looked at and discussed, it does not take much effort and it will improve both the server and how the players see the server and the staff team.

I do have experience as a Headmin obviously, so I already have knowledge on most of what a Headmin should know about. Namely how the tgs panel works, how to handle the server for the most part and I think most of the Hippie players can vouch for me when I say that I get shit done. My objective is to make the whole game fun for the biggest amount of people possible, regardless of the server they play on.

Finally, I would actually also like to help to fix the whole DM;CA related drama to actually try to get shit done such as removing the sprites that we shouldn't use and such. I do know that the server and the codebase are split, but I can safely say I won't just ignore the whole situation the server is in right now.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Carbonhell -- Fixing servers problems for fun

Postby oranges » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am #435043

I am unsure if you can run, given you're a hippie headadmin. I'll get back to you on this.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:26 pm #435294

We spoke about this and decided you can run.

Sorry for the delay.

Carbonhell

Postby Carbonhell » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:00 am #435303

All good, no problems.
Anyway, just want to make it clear that if by some miracle I happen to win, I'd like if the other headmin candidates pm me with their points so we can discuss about getting them done. Thank you.

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Postby BeeSting12 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 am #435342

Why do you, a person with 14 total connections to the server on your (im assuming only) account, want to become headmin? What stake do you have in this?
Stickymayhem wrote:you're right!

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

Click here to make incoherent rants about my badminning.

Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer

Byond Username: Qustinnus

Postby Qustinnus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:47 am #435358

if anything, one headmin that plays less than the others is better for the admin climate. It means they're more impartial.

Cobby
Github User

Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Postby Cobby » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:35 am #435388

Not having a stake in the community apart from the code (which is a separate realm) but want to basically manage the community seems very odd.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Byond Username: Asskek

Postby asskek » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 am #435423

carbon's been around longer than all of u except oranges
thats why he shopuld be headmin
eat my butt with a spoon

Carbonhell

Postby Carbonhell » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:24 pm #435488

BeeSting12 wrote:Why do you, a person with 14 total connections to the server on your (im assuming only) account, want to become headmin? What stake do you have in this?

"My objective is to make the whole game fun for the biggest amount of people possible, regardless of the server they play on."
I don't really have any sort of objective, /tg/ helped us a lot on Hippie and if you guys happen to want me as Headmin, I do have a decent track record as one on hippie and I'm willing to help anyhow. I like /tg/, especially as it is right now. I do not think it needs any sort of big change but rather for the current situation it is in to be kept, along with minor problems to get fixed.
I know how to be one, plus as Qustinnus said, I can surely be more impartial than others on the basis that I mainly play on Hippie, but I have no problems punishing friends if they fuck up badly, and the people on my server know it well. Obviously I wouldn't want to group Hippie and /tg/ together, they are meant to be separate servers with a separate ruleset.
Being an outsider would also help me have a more objective judgement on any sort of problem.

Cobby wrote:Not having a stake in the community apart from the code (which is a separate realm) but want to basically manage the community seems very odd.

As much as the code may be a separate realm, the people managing it are still a part of the /tg/ community firstly and the whole ss13 community aswell. They have helped me in multiple occasions, so by being a Headmin I can both help them and the players aswell, which would be pretty nice. It isn't really a matter of stake, rather I just think i got the skills needed to do something nice, so why not try to do it?

also thank you asskek ayy

bandit
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Bgobandit

Postby bandit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:33 pm #435500

So I'm confused here, I trust when you say that hippie is pleased with you as headmin, but then in the "What makes you different" thread you say,

honestly i don't think /tg/ needs several stuff to change everytime headmins swap. The current situation is pretty good thanks to the current headmins, so even maintaining the current balance would be a success.

So if you think /tg/station doesn't need to change, why are you going out of your way to run for headmin of it?

Also would you be headmin of both servers at once? How do you plan to find the time for that? If something were to happen to cause conflict between the two servers -- not totally unheard of, see DMCA -- what would you do?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer

Byond Username: Qustinnus

Postby Qustinnus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:13 pm #435530

bandit wrote:So I'm confused here, I trust when you say that hippie is pleased with you as headmin, but then in the "What makes you different" thread you say,

honestly i don't think /tg/ needs several stuff to change everytime headmins swap. The current situation is pretty good thanks to the current headmins, so even maintaining the current balance would be a success.

So if you think /tg/station doesn't need to change, why are you going out of your way to run for headmin of it?

Also would you be headmin of both servers at once? How do you plan to find the time for that? If something were to happen to cause conflict between the two servers -- not totally unheard of, see DMCA -- what would you do?

lol cm and tg have always had beef, tg and hippie have only jokingly had beef. It would be very unheard of and hippie and tg have no conflict like tg does with CM and its license breaking

bandit
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Bgobandit

Postby bandit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:18 pm #435549

no shit sergeant, that's why I said "if" and not "because"
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

Carbonhell

Postby Carbonhell » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:40 pm #435552

bandit wrote:So I'm confused here, I trust when you say that hippie is pleased with you as headmin, but then in the "What makes you different" thread you say,

I'm not really going out of my way, I just made an app and I'm answering some questions. Plus I'd like if things wouldn't change too much. With other candidates, that is more possible, plus I think I can offer help that other candidates cannot, being more subjective due to having friends and such within the server.

Also yes, I would be headmin of both servers. My job on hippie was hard at first when I had to re-create wiki, tools, fix the several code problems, rules and such. I did all the things I think were of the utmost priority, now at most my headmin job takes a few minutes a day other than simply being active on discord and doing my normal job as admin. Proof of that is being also able to make PRs on /tg/ like the gamemode one, i guess?
If something happened and the two servers would have a conflict, that'd be very easy to solve, considering I'd be headmin on both. I can solve them easily, way more than a conflict with another server where I'd have to discuss stuff with different people.

Nabski

Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Postby Nabski » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 am #435667

Would there be any carry over of bans between one server and the other?

I believe many of our banned players currently end up on your server.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Unused entertaining sprite repository. Edits on the left, OC on the right. Sorry that you look like derp little practice turtle.

Carbonhell

Postby Carbonhell » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 am #435723

Nabski wrote:Would there be any carry over of bans between one server and the other?

I believe many of our banned players currently end up on your server.

No. The two servers are a different ruleset, thus they would be handled independently by each staff team, just like how it is handled right now.

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Postby CitrusGender » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:49 am #438206

good lad who cares about his server. He'd probably do well on here but he doesn't play so that makes me sad.

He might be able join the administration if he played on /tg/ more. He'd probably make a great coder though.
possibly a great headmin too.
Code: Select all
You can't eat the orange, and throw the peel away - a man is not a piece of fruit.

RobustAndRun

Byond Username: RobustAndRun

Postby RobustAndRun » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 pm #438355

Should probably integrate more with the /tg/ community, but I've seen nothing but good things from this guy on Hippie. Absolutely recommend.

asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Byond Username: Asskek

Postby asskek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 pm #438875

Carbon taught myself and several other people to code

Id love to see him as at least an admin candidate here

Return to Archived/Deleted