[Deleted] Dreamweaver - The Gondola that Does His Best to Understand

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

The_Dreamweaver

Byond Username: The Dreamweaver
Github Username: TheDreamweaver

Dreamweaver - The Gondola that Does His Best to Understand

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:36 pm #435283

Hello again my friends. I have decided to run again, despite my odds, in another effort to show that I would like to get involved and give back to the community that has given me so much. Going on almost 4 years on this community now, I've seen many of the different trends, players, and general perspectives that have drifted through this place. To reiterate my thoughts from last election, I myself have experienced these fluctuations and in my own early years experienced the pains of making mistakes, and the introspective journey of learning from them and using them as way not only to better myself but to learn how to better the way I understand others. Because of this I believe in personally taking a stance that encourages the community to communicate with each other, in a constructive fashion. Because I myself have made mistakes before and had appreciated those who were willing to communicate with me about it and be understanding, giving me the ability to effectively learn and grow from the experience, I have seen the great effect it can have on building a healthy, growing community, and so I strive always to take a similar approach. I believe constructive communication to be a key aspect in not only allowing for players who have shown a willingness to learn and better themselves to reintegrate back into the community, but also knowing when lines must be drawn in order to maintain a positive environment for the rest of the community. I have seen many conflicts in this community, and many others, that I was told were "unsolvable" or "not worth investing your time in" that great progress was able to be made on due to just a simple willingness to go the extra mile to communicate and show some understanding, and so I try my best everyday to set out to do this. Even if it only ends up helping 0.0001% of the community in the long run, it was still worth the effort to me.

In terms of how this would actually be applied to the bigger picture of this server, I believe a good start is having a a strongly engaged relationship between staff and player alike. If we are to feel like we can communicate and understand each other when the going gets rough, we must first show that we can actively do it in the day to day. I think its safe to say that if we are to look at the staff and players who already enact this ideology, it's clear just how great of an impact they have on this server whenever they are involved.

Overall, a healthy and striving community comes down to the members feeling like they can be heard and understood. While that is a good summary of my main approach to interacting in communities, if you have any further question, feel free to ask away!

Thank you, and rad dreams!
Coder, Gondola, Friend

Full Sized Avatar: https://i.imgur.com/gtHhuFd.png

The_Dreamweaver

Re: Dreamweaver - The Gondola that Does His Best to Understand

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:22 am #435313

Oh and feel free to contact me over discord (tg's official) if you'd like to talk to me personally. Always up for a chat!
Coder, Gondola, Friend

The_Dreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 pm #435608

Questions of curiosity, concern, or general discussion are all welcome!
Last edited by The_Dreamweaver on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coder, Gondola, Friend

Nabski

Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Postby Nabski » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 pm #435613

What do you think is the appropriate response to when an admin gives a player a fun and unique toy (such as VR that loops back onto the station, or a funny but OP weapon), and the player just uses it to murder?

What makes an event or trade good?

What is something from the past that you would like to see return?

The_Dreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm #435627

What do you think is the appropriate response to when an admin gives a player a fun and unique toy (such as VR that loops back onto the station, or a funny but OP weapon), and the player just uses it to murder?

If the player broke any rules in the process, then they should be handled accordingly. As for the admin, if they are to go out of their way to create a scenario, they should be prepared for the worst, and take personal responsibility when it does, on par with abusing buttons.

What makes an event or trade good?

While there is no specific answer, in general a good trade and/or event should be unique and generate a net positive response from players. From my short time being admin trained, it seemed that when I gave a player a scenario where they could be a part of a unique story and feel accomplished, there was a generally very positive outcome. Compare a unique, interesting, compellingly constructed scenario/story to just "mashing buttons".

What is something from the past that you would like to see return?

While I've been loving the forward progress of much of the admins' and coders' work, I'd say something I want to bring back is opportunities for players to have a greater feeling of exploration and discovery, whether this via away missions or special maps/rounds. I find this an important aspect for the same reasons stated in the last answer.
Coder, Gondola, Friend

The_Dreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:47 pm #436354

Still open to questions! :)
Coder, Gondola, Friend

Nabski

Postby Nabski » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:18 am #436362

How do you feel about the current ghost roles that we have?

What do you think about the ones that were removed?

Can you think of a good way for dead players to still be engaged after they died while waiting for the next round?

The_Dreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:21 am #436405

How do you feel about the current ghost roles that we have?

What do you think about the ones that were removed?

Can you think of a good way for dead players to still be engaged after they died while waiting for the next round?

I will answer these all together. As stated in a previous answer, bringing back a sense of exploration and discovery to the game is a goal of mine. While we have space and lavaland ruins, we lack any real way of accomplishing these ideas when compared to other servers (noticeably Goon), and when telescience and Away Missions were removed (even if for good reasons), we got even further away from reaching this goal. As for ghost roles, the goal should be to give the ghost something decently entertaining and fulfilling to do that has minimal impact on those that are still alive in the main game. This perfectly sets us up to accomplish the aforementioned ideas, as it allows us to potentially set up far away events and scenarios for ghost to participate in that only the most adventurous of crew members will ever interact with. As for what the specifics of a scenario like this would be, that is up to the design of coders and event makers, but will be a process that I already am, and will continue to be, a part of in order to further continue the push towards content themed around these ideas.
Coder, Gondola, Friend

Nabski

Postby Nabski » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:25 am #436417

You've mentioned away missions twice now. Is it fair to say that if you became headmin getting some kind of standard away missions reenabled would be your goal for the term?

The_Dreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:53 am #436429

You've mentioned away missions twice now. Is it fair to say that if you became headmin getting some kind of standard away missions reenabled would be your goal for the term?

While I'm someone who loves the idea of away missions, I'm also an active coder, and am quite aware of the issues they had on the server. One of my goals would be to accomplish something that achieved the same effect, if not better, as away missions, while being implemented in a way that's healthier for the server. Which is why, as stated above, I will do my best to communicate and work with the rest of the administration, coders, and event makers in order to achieve this goal in way that makes everyone happy.
Coder, Gondola, Friend

The_Dreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:24 am #438010

Someone brought up an interesting point which is not only player-admin interaction, but admin-coder interaction. As stated, I believe communication to be key to maintaining a good server. This requires communication between the full triangle of participants, coder, admins, and players alike. Each member's actions has an effect on another, and so it key that all of these groups are aware of what the other needs in order to thrive in the community. We should not be treating these as factions pitted against each other as has become habit, but instead realize the importance of everyone's roles and by doing so you can better improve your own experience and by extension others experiences.
Coder, Gondola, Friend

Return to Archived/Deleted