[Deleted] What are you afraid of?

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Ispiria
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Ispiria

What are you afraid of?

Postby Ispiria » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 am #435857

Firstly don't misunderstand, not asking for your fear of spiders or small spaces. It'd be cute to know but not particularly relevant to the subject at hand here - no, what I'm asking about is, what situations, events, or responsibilities are you afraid of encountering should you be elected headmin? For example - when I started playing Space Station, I was afraid of screwing up and getting banned. When I started playing CMO I was afraid of making a mistake and getting someone killed. When I began acting as an admin I was afraid of banning someone who didn't deserve it. These fears ultimately worked to keep my behavior under control and, I believe, led me to being a better player and better admin.

Since it's our fears that keep us in check and guide how we act, the most important thing to know about anyone who'd ask to be headmin is what, specifically, you are afraid of taking on as part of the role. Having more public scrutiny on you than you've ever faced before? Being the final say in upholding a permaban on a person who may have been your friend? Interacting with and giving directions to a team of admins who may, in all likelihood, have been doing this much longer than you? Keep in mind that these are just examples, and be honest to your individual values when giving your answer.

There are many responsibilities and obligations that come along with the fancy title and ability to help decide policy, not all of which are pleasant or enjoyable ones to have. It's one of the most important roles in the server's authority hierarchy and if that doesn't scare you at least a little, you really oughtn't be running in the first place. So let's hear it. What part, or parts, of being elected headmin are you the most afraid of?

jcll
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Jcll
Github Username: jcll

Re: What are you afraid of?

Postby jcll » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:04 pm #436072

I am afraid of someone getting seriously hurt in the community. In past communities have seen doxing and what it does with people. I have seen people with mental health issues pushed and tormented into very bad states. I just want to make sure we can keep our unique culture without making an environment that anyone gets seriously hurt. And for me that is being strict on sexual harassment and extreme targeted harassment.

In the end we are all here to play a fubby video game.

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Postby BeeSting12 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 pm #436079

yea i think i can sum up my answer for this question by saying "im afraid of fucking up"

i actually had mroe stuff written but then it didnt send and im not writing it again
Stickymayhem wrote:you're right!

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

Click here to make incoherent rants about my badminning.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Postby Arianya » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:15 pm #436700

While the fear of fucking up is an ever present one, I would say my biggest fear is being the headmin who is always last to express their opinion/not available for discussions. In my experience these headmins drag things down more then one who was actively opposing things, and so my intent is that I won't become such a headmin.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 am #436874

Unresolved conflicts. In my first term I was so worried about being full nazi like previous administrations that I just didn't make any hard decisions if possible. I quickly learned that was a terrible idea and grew a backbone and don't mind upsetting people if it's an important issue.

Omni Tears

Spoiler:

The_Dreamweaver

Byond Username: The Dreamweaver
Github Username: TheDreamweaver

Postby The_Dreamweaver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 pm #438128

On top of what Jcll said, I'd say I fear misunderstandings. Everyone is bound to have their opinion and own ideas, and these all have an effect on how they perceive a situation or other individuals/groups. That's why I try to make communication and discussion, even with people and groups who come off as quite disagreeable, a core idea in how I approach things, as even a simple discussion can make great progress.
Coder, Gondola, Friend

Full Sized Avatar: https://i.imgur.com/gtHhuFd.png

Return to Archived/Deleted