[Deleted] Arianya - Attack of the Policymin

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Arianya - Attack of the Policymin

Postby Arianya » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:20 am #436572

I realize this is somewhat of a late entry, and I apologize for that. I'll aim to answer as many questions as I can in the time available so people can make an informed decision.

Literally who?

While some might be more familiar with me from posting on the forums, I'll just give a quick rundown and say that I've played SS13 on and off since 2008ish, on a variety of servers (though most of my recent experience has been on /tg/). I'm a current admin as well, and hope to apply that experience to the headmin position.

Why are you candidating yourself late?

In part because some people were running who I felt fairly represented my views who then later pulled out, in part due to taking into consideration my free time and whether I would be able to commit to the position.

Why are you running?

There are certain organizational changes I'd like to make to the administration and policy that I was hoping might be completed by the current headmins. While I have no doubt that other candidates would be able to do the same, I want to put my name in the running so that these reforms have a specific place on the ballot.

What are your platforms?

All of these are subject to discussion and debate with my fellow headmins. I've always been one who enjoys refining and polishing things through discussion, and so I would look to my fellow headmins to help me improve these policies where possible. I'm no legislator and I'm sure some of these policies will look better for the touch of other people.
Spoiler:
Re-organization of Discord admin-side/"adminbus"

While admins (and players) may have heard of these plans before, I'd like to re-organize the "adminbus" side of discord, with three main aims:

- Filter important bot messages (primarily missed tickets) to an active channel so theres greater visibility to them (This would be with the assistance of MSO, as the bot operator, obviously)
- Establish an active channel that is (primarily, but not exclusively) for discussing administration issues, policy, etc. This would be to ensure that we can chat/banter/etc but also have serious discussions without drowning out more relaxed conversation nor it being drowned out by images/banter/etc.
- Establish a group of happy-to-be-pinged administrators who, depending on feedback from those administrators, may be pinged to be asked to hop on the server, answer AC/Trialmin questions, etc. This would be to reduce @GameAdmin/@TrialAdmin pings in general.

Updating of the Headmin Rulings Wikipage and putting into writing policies that aren't already

Currently the wiki Headmin Rulings page is several months out of date, in spite of the best efforts of contributors like Beesting12 (thank you for all your hard work!). I'd like to get this up to date as a priority, but also use it as a pivot point to ensure that policies that have been agreed among the headmins are visible, even if they didn't have a specific policy discussion thread.

It's come up a couple of times that there are policies that are common knowledge among most/all the admins but which aren't well known among most players, and I would hope this would help resolve it. I'll also aim to make this page more visible both in our Rules page and on the forums so that it can be more easily found.

Create guidelines surrounding Events so that we can improve how these are run

Events have sometimes been a sore point among players and admins alike, with it being unclear what is or isn't an event and when something graduates from "admin pushing button" to event. While remaining non-restrictive (I think the admin role as GMs is very important to /tg/'s culture and should be nurtured), I want to clarify and distinguish between minor button pressing and events so that we can funnel feedback to the best location, and give newer admins a better idea of what is and isn't acceptable in so far as using those buttons.

These aren't all of my thoughts or stances, but they're the ones that come to mind as my biggest "projects". This is in addition to the day to day work of headministration (answering policy discussions, dealing with ban appeals/admin complaints, etc.)

I'm happy to answer any questions, and will be going through the Headmin Debates over the next couple of days to give my own views on those topics.

Thank you for your consideration.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Re: Arianya - Attack of the Policymin

Postby lmwevil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:30 am #436579

Since I threw the question at a few other nerds I'll give it for you to chew on.

Do you believe sexism to be a problem in /tg/, if so what will you do to rectify it if anything?

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:34 am #436580

stop asking the same question in everyt thread make a debate fucking thread what is wrong wotw hyou stupid squidhead

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:36 am #436583

As with any 4chan inheritor community, certain things trickle through.

I don't think there's an endemic issue with sexism in /tg/, either on the administration or the player side, but as with almost anything I think there are always people who take things too far and end up feeling hard done by when they're pulled up on it.

My aim would mostly be to rein in these extreme cases, and possibly to look into how we get reports of this behaviour so that the headmins/admins have an ear to the ground in case it should become an issue.

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:48 am.
Reason: old enough
View this post

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:45 am #436597

guidelines for events sounds like a hard and fast way to make events boring and unfun. anything more than rule of thumb or specific "DONT DO THIS" policies (such as "no spawning megafauna") is a red flag to me. got anything to say on that?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

MrAlphonzo
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Postby MrAlphonzo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:51 am #436617

Balances being one of the most dedicated and hardworking administrators with simultaneously not taking the job way too seriously, and still managing to be a fun admin. Always keeps a level head, and has never failed to get their perspective across, crystal clear, in every discussion in the bus.

I cannot think of anybody better for the position of head administrator.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 am #436634

PKPenguin321 wrote:guidelines for events sounds like a hard and fast way to make events boring and unfun. anything more than rule of thumb or specific "DONT DO THIS" policies (such as "no spawning megafauna") is a red flag to me. got anything to say on that?

It's been tried before and been deeply unsuccessful.

Ultimately, events are what turn this from a stale video game into one with limitless possibilities more like a tabletop game, where the stories and mechanics transcend the already complex game systems.

What is the benefit of better defining events. Are you planning to restrict them? What happens in an extended round with nothing going on? What happens when the antags all die and there's nothing to do? What's an event that's big enough to consider an event? Trader? A single storyline?

Yesterday elyina and I carved out a cavern system on the syndicate listening post asteroid, filled it with dead syndicate and a mega arachnid and had a long form spooky monster hunt for the guy on the post. Does this affect the round? What's this classified as? What about when he succeeded and escaped to the station, crashing the syndicate fighter? What about when an existing traitor was tasked with getting them to the escape shuttle? What if that agent decided to hijack the shuttle with his syndicate gear?

I don't expect you to answer all these questions, my point is, how do you define a freeform event that, when done right, flows naturally and may or may not involve the station? It seems like a hopeless cause with the only result being a negative restrictive effect on events that should be as creative as possible.

I do not see the point.

Omni Tears

Spoiler:

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:55 am #436655

Stickymayhem wrote:snip

PKPenguin321 wrote:guidelines for events sounds like a hard and fast way to make events boring and unfun. anything more than rule of thumb or specific "DONT DO THIS" policies (such as "no spawning megafauna") is a red flag to me. got anything to say on that?

My wording was perhaps unclear, my intent isn't to restrict events or provide a ~hard and fast format/rules for events~ that administrators have to follow, simply to draw a line of distinction between use of buttons in a simple manner (which has its place in keeping a round moving, like a rev round where one side or the other is hiding and dragging things out), for example spawning a single wave of meteors, and more cohesive events, the best example being the event sticky described with elyina.

My intent isn't to restrict administrators from running events or enforce my idea of an "event", rather to clearly classify these two so that:

a) We can have feedback regarding a admin's minor use of buttons funneled to admin feedback, and frame it within what we expect of admins
b) We can have feedback regarding events better funelled to the events workshop, a plan which includes making it more prominent a section of the forums
c) We can better inform new administrators what is and isn't acceptable with regards to buttons, with a view to cultivating them as GMs/event runners.

Believe me that I fully understand how important events and admin GMing is to /tg/, and have no intent on restricting this.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:08 am #436663

Arianya wrote:

My wording was perhaps unclear, my intent isn't to restrict events or provide a ~hard and fast format/rules for events~ that administrators have to follow, simply to draw a line of distinction between use of buttons in a simple manner (which has its place in keeping a round moving, like a rev round where one side or the other is hiding and dragging things out), for example spawning a single wave of meteors, and more cohesive events, the best example being the event sticky described with elyina.

My intent isn't to restrict administrators from running events or enforce my idea of an "event", rather to clearly classify these two so that:

a) We can have feedback regarding a admin's minor use of buttons funneled to admin feedback, and frame it within what we expect of admins
b) We can have feedback regarding events better funelled to the events workshop, a plan which includes making it more prominent a section of the forums
c) We can better inform new administrators what is and isn't acceptable with regards to buttons, with a view to cultivating them as GMs/event runners.

Believe me that I fully understand how important events and admin GMing is to /tg/, and have no intent on restricting this.

You want to classify something that is difficult to classify, difficult but fair enough. However, there are many admins that want no part of running events, or as little as possible. Many have no inclination to GM and don't enjoy it. Do you think those admins have a responsibility to move rounds along? If not, do you think they should be categorised separately from admins that will so players understand this?

What is your plan for making the event workshop more prominent? It's been pretty much dead since I put it together, and it's never had much traffic funnelled to it despite some effort on my part. How do you plan to succeed where I failed you precocious upstart punk?

There is a huge variance in quality of events. Some admins like myself are putting together full scale one use away missions, others are making whole gamemodes they regularly bring to the station. Others still mash buttons like we all did a couple years ago, and I'm still guilty of it on occasion. How do are you going to be able to classify what is or isn't an acceptable event?

How do you deal with a button mash session that the players love but is probably a bad idea to encourage, or a massive away mission the admin spent hours putting together that was unsuccessful and unpopular. Is it tyranny of the majority? Does effort count for anything?

I'm not trying to shut you down or anything, I'm just bringing up some of the reasons this is difficult to resolve, and why people like me have failed in the past.

Omni Tears

Spoiler:

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 am #436672

Stickymayhem wrote:
Spoiler:
Arianya wrote:

You want to classify something that is difficult to classify, difficult but fair enough. However, there are many admins that want no part of running events, or as little as possible. Many have no inclination to GM and don't enjoy it. Do you think those admins have a responsibility to move rounds along? If not, do you think they should be categorised separately from admins that will so players understand this?

I think administrators should keep an eye on the progression of the round to ensure it's not reached a stalemate/slog, yes, but I don't think that's mutually exclusive with not wanting to run events. While more event-driven administrators like yourself are a credit to /tg/, I don't think we should seek to differentiate "event" and "non-event" admins until there is good reason for such a distinction, which I don't think there currently is.

What is your plan for making the event workshop more prominent? It's been pretty much dead since I put it together, and it's never had much traffic funnelled to it despite some effort on my part. How do you plan to succeed where I failed you precocious upstart punk?

At the barest level, I plan to move the Event Workshop from its current location to being a subforum of Admin Feedback. It's never made sense to me why it's a subforum of Town Hall, which generally speaking occludes it a bit from the more occasional forums poster, especially since it doesn't even follow the same rules as Town Hall wrt posting threads. I realize that's not a ~groundshaking trailblazing change~ but it's one that strikes to mind immediately.

There is a huge variance in quality of events. Some admins like myself are putting together full scale one use away missions, others are making whole gamemodes they regularly bring to the station. Others still mash buttons like we all did a couple years ago, and I'm still guilty of it on occasion. How do are you going to be able to classify what is or isn't an acceptable event?

Again, I'm not seeking to restrict events or classify what's a good event or a bad event (that's generally speaking, up to the players who interact with the event)/define an "acceptable event", my intent is to better explain the difference between an admin hitting radiation storm to shake people out of their hidey holes and people running events, whether that be something simple like a visiting tunguskian diplomat or something more complex like the away missions that I know some have run before.

How do you deal with a button mash session that the players love but is probably a bad idea to encourage, or a massive away mission the admin spent hours putting together that was unsuccessful and unpopular. Is it tyranny of the majority? Does effort count for anything?

There are two ultimate truths we have to accept when it comes to events, one being that ultimately event runners are volunteers, and that the server is here for players to play on.

Rule 0 has always been the purview of administrators to do something that, while in the abstract might be an awful idea, is fun for the players. I certainly wouldn't be looking to criticise admins for this kind of behaviour, though you can overdo anything, obviously.

Big, expansive events are always a touchy issue, no one wants to spend 6 hours mapping something and setting it up, only to have it go off the rails because [the server crashed/greyshit mcshitster bohbombs it/etc]. Where events are derailed for some reason, I'd counsel patience and to try again in the future, and where events are just plain unpopular, I'd suggest actively seeking feedback so the event runner can understand what can be improved. Ultimately the fun of SS13 is largely the emergent gameplay that comes from it, so I don't think we should be scared of improving ourselves.

Much as you've stated in the past, I don't think running events becomes an admin conduct issue until it's severe and disruptive, and within that vein I don't plan to change how it's currently viewed/treated.

I'm not trying to shut you down or anything, I'm just bringing up some of the reasons this is difficult to resolve, and why people like me have failed in the past.

I appreciate your critique, I'm certainly not claiming I have the magic cure-all, but ultimately I think my changes will improve things, if I'm elected. I understand that your concern stems from me stealing your event-focused thunder :^)

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Postby CitrusGender » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:21 pm #436703

For all the flak they get, they've legitimately got their heart in it and I wouldn't have picked them as a trial admin otherwise.

They care about the server and have been around here longer than many of us without going insane, which is a pretty good accomplishment.
Code: Select all
You can't eat the orange, and throw the peel away - a man is not a piece of fruit.

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Postby BeeSting12 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:08 pm #436731

i question the sanity of anyone who can type that much in one post
Stickymayhem wrote:you're right!

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

Click here to make incoherent rants about my badminning.

Lazengann
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lazengann

Postby Lazengann » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 pm #436761

Arianya is one of those rare souls who thrives on long and tedious discussions about policy and precedents, they're a perfect candidate for the jade burnout machine that is headmin.

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:48 am #437118

Will you remove peanut posting

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:01 am #437121

lmwevil wrote:Will you remove peanut posting

Presuming you mean FNR peanut posting, yes and no.

My view of peanut posting has long been that offering insightful factual information (i.e. logs, rule citations, precedent) is a worthwhile thing in FNR (from a player or an administrator, I was a FNR poster before even being adminned).

Where FNR posting becomes peanut posting is when your post is about your opinion. "This was a bad ban" "You were being a shitter", etc etc. This becomes doubly bad when you get people taking a single peanut post as the opening of the floodgates allowing them to post at will, which leads to the dog-piling some people have complained about in the past.

While I think the previous headmins modification to peanut policy was good, I've had some issues with how it was enforced (and noted as much to them at the time), so in this vein I'd look less to modify the rules and more to discuss its enforcement with forum administrators/other headmins so we're all on the same page.

TL;DR: Peanut posting is bad, but not everything from a unrelated person is peanut posting. No rules changes, just a more cohesive enforcement of the rule.

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Postby PKPenguin321 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:02 am #437752

Arianya wrote:

in what way are you going to reclassify them? youre dancing around what you actually plan to do here. what can qualify as an event and what cant, under your new system?

also, you like antag rep, which is a bad nasty system that nobody likes. why?
Spoiler:

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 am #437814

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Arianya wrote:

in what way are you going to reclassify them? youre dancing around what you actually plan to do here. what can qualify as an event and what cant, under your new system?

also, you like antag rep, which is a bad nasty system that nobody likes. why?

I'm not intentionally dancing around it, just more that I don't want to pin myself to hard classifications which would most likely change in discussions before ever being implemented, but the short and long of it is that events are in some way cohesive and have some story to them. Giving a talking hat to a mime is an event in that you (ideally) have a story to tell, even if that story is "this hat thinks the mime's head stinks"

A non-event/"minor use of buttons"/i need a better name for this help is where the admin uses their buttons to keep the round moving/spice things up/etc but isn't running a cohesive event. Spawning a side antag because the main antags are dead, triggering a portal storm because everyones dug in and needs shaking out of their hidey holes, that sort of thing.

TL;DR
Spoiler:
the short and long of it is that events are in some way cohesive and have some story to them.

Regarding antag rep, I think it has potential as a system to give us a carrot to direct players towards playing certain jobs/departments that are underplayed. I think the current implementation was bad because it

a) Reduced the player choice element to be almost non-existent
b) Didn't "use up" all of your antag rep wholesale for getting antagonist
c) Was too obscured from players, including the fact that it's initial implementation was never really explained or even announced. It sat disabled for some number of months and then was enabled without much fanfare.

In an ideal world, I'd like to run a new trial on antag rep using different parameters to see if it can serve as a encouragement to players to play certain departments/jobs, but I'm also aware that anything that influences antagonist rolls is a hot button topic, so if I was headmin and the topic came up, I wouldn't vote against/block disabling or removing antagonist rep.

TL;DR

Spoiler:
Antag rep has potential, but was poorly implemented. I'd like to try it again but wouldn't block it's removal/disabling

I hope this answers your questions.

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Postby CitrusGender » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 am #438711

lol
Code: Select all
You can't eat the orange, and throw the peel away - a man is not a piece of fruit.

Aloraydrel

Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Postby Aloraydrel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 am #438729

based

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Postby PKPenguin321 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 am #438740

Spoiler:

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:50 am #438778

Thank you to all who voted for me, I'll obviously be a few days in getting up to speed, but I hope to live up to my platform!

Doctor Pork

Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Postby Doctor Pork » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm #438812

Congratulations Ari!
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander

Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad

Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle

Aloraydrel

Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Postby Aloraydrel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm #438823

Based based based based

Return to Archived/Deleted