[Deleted] The EVENTual Return of Stickymayhem

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

The EVENTual Return of Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:46 pm #510073

TL;DR: Hi Players. Are you really going to vote for a candidate who just wants to re-write escalation policy for the 80th time, reorganize the ban request forum and then sit in the background for 6 months or do you want some actual honest to god fun again?

Let's keep this simple. I've been headmin twice, I know what I'm doing and I'm not a miserable burned out cunt yet so it probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

We've progressively become more and more serious. We are under attack from catastrophic world ending DDoS attacks, admin's live in fear of anthrax being mailed to their houses and the whole server is a life and death drama of epic proportions.This is really fucking silly and we need to cut this shit out. It's not the fault of the current administration, this has been a gradual trend over the last 2-3 years but people are forgetting it's a fucking game.

Yes I shitpost, yes I've annoyed the leadership basically once a month for the last year and frankly it's been an unsuccessful attempt to break everyone out of this overly serious stupor. It failed spectacularly and just upset a bunch of serious people so the clear solution is to replace serious people with people who still enjoy this game for what it is. I don't expect to be voted for by many admins because serious leaders hire serious candidates resulting in a gradual shift in adminbus's perspective. I may just have fallen out of touch but it's really getting greyer by the day in there.

Here's the plan:

The Event Workshop
Spoiler:
It's fucking happening this time. Without headmin backing this has never worked but the Event Hall is full of new, pleasant people that at least try to engage with interesting stuff and every smaller scale experiment I've run with this has been a success. Mappers build content, Admins run it and players act in them as NPCs. It's a wonderful way to bring the community closer together, I've run events sucessfully a million times already and I want to have fun with players. The longevity of this game is purely on the totally customisable nature of events and without those event runners the server would be even more stagnant than it is today. Let's push this hard becuase I think it can be a solution to the existential boredom a lot of long time players have. I've been here for half a decade and I'm not bored yet. I want everyone to still be having fun.

Expanding the Community
Spoiler:
SS13 is a fantastic game but it's easy to disassociate from the people you play it with. At the end of the day silent 2D spessmans are hard to sympathise with. We have a huge community of fun people and there's no reason we can't be doing cool stuff in other games. Of course this has happened plenty over the years but I'd like to give this some real backing with some real events, prizes and community gettogethers in other games. It's surprisingly easy to suddenly find that absolute cunt you can't stand pretty likeable when you play left 4 dead 2 together.

Player-first, Fun-first
Spoiler:
Back in the day I shaved the rules down to a minimum and even ran no rule rounds and was constantly surprised to find the server polices itself pretty damn well. I don't expect that kind of policy to go down well but there are lessons to learn from it. Mainly that building out all these precedents and escalation policies until everyone has to follow a script in every confrontation is fucking tedious, silly and only gives more power to the people who carefully but consistently abuse it. Fuck escalation policy, I'm going to focus on bringing as much of the games conflict back down to the IC level as possible. Banbaiting is rampant and people understandably struggle to avoid bans they don't deserve because someone more experienced is playing the metagame of the /tg/station rules page better than them. Players should police players as much as possible. We have security force for a reason, let the game be the game. This reduces the load on admins and gives them more space to do fun shit too. Win-win for everyone except the gameadmins with ban quotas

Feel free to ask away or shitpost.

Arathian

Byond Username: Arathian

Re: The EVENTual Return of Stickymayhem

Postby Arathian » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:53 pm #510075

Fuck escalation policy, I'm going to focus on bringing as much of the games conflict back down to the IC level as possible. Banbaiting is rampant and people understandably struggle to avoid bans they don't deserve because someone more experienced is playing the metagame of the /tg/station rules page better than them. Players should police players as much as possible. We have security force for a reason, let the game be the game.

Thank fuck someone understands this.

A thing that I seriously don't like is this attitude of "you can try stuff, but if you mess it up, even non maliciously, you cope a ban".

Things like trying to welder bomb the wiz. Succeeded? All good. Failed? Here is a day ban for that hole in dorms.

Or I learned death trigger grenades are basically banned to nonantags because if you kill an innocent when they explode, you cope a ban

Etc etc

There are cases where a ban is appropriate like someone putting a mcNuke on him and purposefully baiting people to kill him...but that is clearly different from the guy who got gamer'd by the esword traitor and also caught an assistant in the blast.
Iron, blood and spider armies

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:15 pm #510080

Arathian wrote:
Fuck escalation policy, I'm going to focus on bringing as much of the games conflict back down to the IC level as possible. Banbaiting is rampant and people understandably struggle to avoid bans they don't deserve because someone more experienced is playing the metagame of the /tg/station rules page better than them. Players should police players as much as possible. We have security force for a reason, let the game be the game.

Thank fuck someone understands this.

A thing that I seriously don't like is this attitude of "you can try stuff, but if you mess it up, even non maliciously, you cope a ban".

Things like trying to welder bomb the wiz. Succeeded? All good. Failed? Here is a day ban for that hole in dorms.

Or I learned death trigger grenades are basically banned to nonantags because if you kill an innocent when they explode, you cope a ban

Etc etc

There are cases where a ban is appropriate like someone putting a mcNuke on him and purposefully baiting people to kill him...but that is clearly different from the guy who got gamer'd by the esword traitor and also caught an assistant in the blast.

If you scroll to the bottom of the rules page you'll find "The Secret Rule of Mayhem".

I wrote that rule in my previous headmin term but it's been cited less and less over the years and it's a shame

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Postby BeeSting12 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 pm #510120

Stickymayhem has a good attitude and is the best of all the current candidates despite his veganism. Enjoying the game is really important to administration but it feels like we lose sight of that sometimes and take things wayyyy too seriously.

A leader who doesn't take thing so seriously is what we need to shake up the pattern, hoping to see him hire some candidates other headmins wouldn't hire for fear of making an "unsafe" choice due to too many notes/whatever.

His past experience as a headmin also means he doesn't have any illusions of what he can do- he knows what can be done and is not making outrageous promises here, everything he says is very doable and beneficial.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

confused rock

Byond Username: The unloved rock

Postby confused rock » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 pm #510141

yeah, him being a former headmin is important and something not everyone might know or remember. unless bee comes back he'll likely be my first pick
Last edited by confused rock on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reeeee

Byond Username: LibbySnow

Postby Reeeee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 pm #510143

Too serious man to be in position of "game admin" and already admits defeat. Pretends to want fun. Probably quits a week in.

No.
signnatrire

wubli

Byond Username: Wubli

Postby wubli » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 am #510156

You spend several months being inactive, and when you do show up, it's usually to try to start, as you have called it "artificial drama" -for example, when you tried to make people believe headmins had removed BoxStation-. It's an endless cycle of you remembering /tg/ exists whenever you can either get a laugh out of it, or run for a position of power. I don't dislike you as a person, but I find your decisions questionable.
I won't doubt your previous term, because I was not there for it, or at least I wasn't aware of the hierarchy of /tg/, but I'm concerned as to why do you think you would be a good headmin right now.
As for one of your proposals, The Event Workshop: You do not need to be a Head Admin to do this. I have helped a lot the past few balls, even when I was not in this position, or for example, Citrus hosting the toolboxing event, all the mappers, people who handled security - a lot of people worked on them, it wasn't one headmin doing it. Nothing stopped you from suggesting an event and hosting it - just yourself not bringing it up.
part time magical girl ♡ full time e̸̷͘l̕͝d̕r̛͘͢͟͡i҉҉t́͟͠c̷͝h̸̡͠ ̀̕͟ą͘͘͠b҉̕͠ò̸̡͢͞m̸̀̕͜͡i͞ǹ̕͟͞͝ą̸͘͟͞t͘͢͜i͏̵̛́͝ó̡͢ń̀͘͘
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i was here to try

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:30 am #510166

Sticky is probably the best equipped to be headmin. If Sticky could headmin then, why can't he now? Are you suggesting tg has changed so drastically during that time that headminning requires a completely different mindset and set of skills?

wubli

Byond Username: Wubli

Postby wubli » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:44 am #510179

wesoda25 wrote:Sticky is probably the best equipped to be headmin. If Sticky could headmin then, why can't he now? Are you suggesting tg has changed so drastically during that time that headminning requires a completely different mindset and set of skills?

I honestly do not see what in my post made you believe I meant that.
I am questioning that one of the changes he intends to make is something he could've done but chose to keep to himself for the elections, and his attitude of starting "artificial drama" just to mess with headmins.
If my post needs to be edited to clarify anything, please let me know.
part time magical girl ♡ full time e̸̷͘l̕͝d̕r̛͘͢͟͡i҉҉t́͟͠c̷͝h̸̡͠ ̀̕͟ą͘͘͠b҉̕͠ò̸̡͢͞m̸̀̕͜͡i͞ǹ̕͟͞͝ą̸͘͟͞t͘͢͜i͏̵̛́͝ó̡͢ń̀͘͘
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i was here to try

lmwevil

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:09 am #510188

Stickymayhem wrote:We've progressively become more and more serious. We are under attack from catastrophic world ending DDoS attacks, admin's live in fear of anthrax being mailed to their houses and the whole server is a life and death drama of epic proportions.This is really fucking silly and we need to cut this shit out. It's not the fault of the current administration, this has been a gradual trend over the last 2-3 years but people are forgetting it's a fucking game.

Yes I shitpost, yes I've annoyed the leadership basically once a month for the last year and frankly it's been an unsuccessful attempt to break everyone out of this overly serious stupor. It failed spectacularly and just upset a bunch of serious people so the clear solution is to replace serious people with people who still enjoy this game for what it is. I don't expect to be voted for by many admins because serious leaders hire serious candidates resulting in a gradual shift in adminbus's perspective. I may just have fallen out of touch but it's really getting greyer by the day in there.

i agree entirely with sticky that adminbus and the whole atmosphere is far far far far far far far FAR too serious for 2dspessmens. but that's just me. how would you change it though?

edit: also if you wanted to be headmin why not be active more before now to prove you can be consistent instead of a literal ghost who sparks drama every month

Ayy Lemoh

Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:40 am #510202

wesoda25 wrote:If Sticky could headmin then, why can't he now? Are you suggesting tg has changed so drastically during that time that headminning requires a completely different mindset and set of skills?

People change. Morals and beliefs change. Lots of things can change. Just because someone did X once does not mean they can actually do it over and over again.

There are probably a few headmins from the past that would not be as good as they were because things have changed. What you're saying doesn't sound like an invalid or evil statement to make.

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:31 am #510254

Cool dude, he runs fun events and doesn't afraid of anything. Not sure how he handles heavy policy problems, but his ingame conduct resonates with me
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 am #510272

I've spent the last few weeks moving and handling a new promotion, but if you take a moment to check my connections you'll see that I play the game plenty.

I've been on event hall where most of the headmins don't generally touch shit. It's been the truest ss13 experience since the sethtide arrived and I've been running events for them.

Wubli, your take is inaccurate. I've been less active in discord because the atmosphere has become more hostile over the months. I am absolutely happy to let you believe whatever you want but it's not hard to check the connection logs and I find it hard to believe you haven't yet. So you're either remaining ignorant to justify this take or ignoring reality to make this criticism work

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am #510277

lmwevil wrote:

i agree entirely with sticky that adminbus and the whole atmosphere is far far far far far far far FAR too serious for 2dspessmens. but that's just me. how would you change it though?

edit: also if you wanted to be headmin why not be active more before now to prove you can be consistent instead of a literal ghost who sparks drama every month

I haven't had Internet for a couple weeks but over the last few months I've played and adminned consistently.

This attitude comes from the top down. With mso busy the headmins define the atmosphere and every week there's a new terribly serious threat like what we're doing here is deathly important. I think other than just taking everything in adminbus less seriously and hiring more interesting admin candidates to give us a bit more variety, we can focus on expanding the community more. Less roundtables and more games and events.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 am #510279

wubli wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:Sticky is probably the best equipped to be headmin. If Sticky could headmin then, why can't he now? Are you suggesting tg has changed so drastically during that time that headminning requires a completely different mindset and set of skills?

I honestly do not see what in my post made you believe I meant that.
I am questioning that one of the changes he intends to make is something he could've done but chose to keep to himself for the elections, and his attitude of starting "artificial drama" just to mess with headmins.
If my post needs to be edited to clarify anything, please let me know.

I can't remember when you got here (really not flexing) but I've booted this up a couple of times and without headmin backing it's never had enough traction. It's as simple as some backing and access to announcements but no headmin was as committed to the idea and despite successfully running the initial 5 large scale events I had planned the idea just didn't get off the ground.

I really think it needs a headmin to take care of it or people just don't notice or understand it. With the sethtide here I think the higher population will help too, and I've run these advanced events for them over the last couple months with really great results.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:07 am #510281

Reeeee wrote:Too serious man to be in position of "game admin" and already admits defeat. Pretends to want fun. Probably quits a week in.

No.

I've been headmin twice and didn't quit a week in then. What's different?

Whoneedspacee

Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Postby Whoneedspacee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 am #510284

this has been a gradual trend over the last 2-3 years but people are forgetting it's a fucking game.

#1 vote from me just dont forget this one thing and you'll have my support whatever you do.

as long as you're taking it less seriously and focusing on the fun of the players thats pretty much the greatest thing you can do as a headmin.

Let's keep this simple. I've been headmin twice, I know what I'm doing and I'm not a miserable burned out cunt yet so it probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

also great lets be honest because a few of these other people have been on and off admin in the past couple months, headmin isn't a job where you should just take a month off.

Expanding the Community

hell yeah, i'm sure many people are willing to help with stuff like community minecraft servers, its a great chance to make friends outside of the chaos of ss13 and such.

We have security force for a reason, let the game be the game. This reduces the load on admins and gives them more space to do fun shit too. Win-win for everyone except the gameadmins with ban quotas

i do have a question on how you want to accomplish this though, because it's so engrained into our community for some people to just instantly ahelp i can't even imagine where you would start.

i'm really looking forward to your term if you win, because taking it easy is an 100% sure way to not get de-motivated and have fun doing what you're doing.

Calibraptor

Byond Username: Calibraptor

Postby Calibraptor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:41 am #510290

I've been perma-banned by this man and tbh he has my vote

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:02 am #510303

i do have a question on how you want to accomplish this though, because it's so engrained into our community for some people to just instantly ahelp i can't even imagine where you would start.

Increase the scope for IC issues and encourage resolving issues in an IC way instead of bans where sensible.

Rip up escalation policy and start again. The game doesn't need a flowchart to determine how to interact with other crewmembers and it's too complex to ever do it effectively. Escalation policy was only ever a convenience for admins and a restriction for players.

Help reduce boredom with the aforementioned events and community hangouts. The better you know your fellow spessman the less likely you are to think he's deliberately trying to ruin your 2D life, and the less bored he is the less likely he'll be to actually ruin your 2D life.

Even when admins aren't running things, the Captain should be a mini-eventmin, in that he can define the atmosphere of the station and the round. I want Captains to basically be able to run events from in game. This is almost true at the moment but should be set in stone so players that want the ability to create fun for others can do so without necessarily needing admin assistance all the time. Mutinies have always been an effective counterbalance to this.

Take the leash off security bit by bit and find that point where they aren't afraid to beat down actual idiots anymore. This takes some fine tuning but we've had the right balance multiple times in previous years and I'm confident I can do it again since my second headmin term was one of those periods.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Postby Arianya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 am #510306

You accuse people, mostly headmins judging by your wording of being "overly serious", noting especially that your pranks have gone over poorly. While I won't comment on specific pranks or the reactions of people to them, can you understand, having done two terms before, how someone who is 5 months deep into a term full of drama may not appreciate an administrator inciting drama? I'm not sure what your previous terms were like, but the modern headmin generally has enough crap salad on the plate without poop dressing.

And when you note adminbus being "too serious" what exactly do you mean? For those not in the know, there are two "admin bus" channels, admin-bus, which is predominantly for admins to ask questions about a rules or administrative issue and get on topic responses, and admin-chatter where people are basically chatting, posting memes, shooting the shit. I would not have described the attitude as overly (or at all) serious in the latter, and serious in the former only in so much as people have generally been asked not to post random jokes while an admin actually doing adminning is trying to figure something out.

Additionally, you note that "we need to cut this shit out" to people reacting to DDoS attacks and the like - could you clarify what your reaction would be as Headmin if you had all the servers/forums being DDOS'd, MSO was nowhere to be in sight and you were getting pings and PMs from all over the place asking you what you're doing about it? It's not like a DDoS is exactly something you can just "shrug" and move on.

Fuck escalation policy, I'm going to focus on bringing as much of the games conflict back down to the IC level as possible.

This is a nice tagline, but what do you actually mean by it? Stripping out administrative oversight of conflict at all, so that outside of brazen griefing admins just mash the IC button? Because that seems more likely to result in TDM or people acting skittish around everyone waiting for that first blow to go full Reaver on them. Does this mean you also intend to remove rules such as not being allowed to maim or kill security for doing their job? As I say, this is a very vague promise.

Expanding the Community

What exactly is blocking you from doing this now? And how do you intend to source prizes from your headmin budget of, uh, £0?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

Calibraptor

Postby Calibraptor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 am #510309

All the 9000% serious posts about accusations, drama, and questioning the mans motives over wanting to make things less serious are kinda just proving his point tbh.

Half the posts in this thread read like a political debate rather than, you know, people playing a silly spaceman game.

John_Gobbel

Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Postby John_Gobbel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 am #510313

Calibraptor wrote:Half the posts in this thread read like a political debate rather than, you know, people playing a silly spaceman game.

Yes, this is an election.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am #510314

Calibraptor wrote:All the 9000% serious posts about accusations, drama, and questioning the mans motives over wanting to make things less serious are kinda just proving his point tbh.

Half the posts in this thread read like a political debate rather than, you know, people playing a silly spaceman game.

While there are certainly people who take the game too seriously, I think this is kind of a stupid argument. "Lol look at you caring too much who's in charge of the server for the next 6 months! Idiot! Stupid!"

If you're going to vote a headmin based on "who looks more fun" go ahead, it's your vote, but some people, especially admins, are more affected in their enjoyment of the game by what kind of headmin is elected. Just as much as Sticky might feel that overly serious headmins are bad, there will be people who feel the opposite and don't want an irreverent headmin.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am #510316

Your opinion on the atmosphere is your own but I don't think I'm alone in thinking this way. Citing that things are more serious now with the DDoSing and shit doesn't hold much sway given we dealt with the exact same shit when I was headmin and no one was this deathly serious and burned out. Hell we had actual life and death issues that were handled well by the team and community without it infecting everyone's attitude. If you don't think the attitudes and expectations of adminbus are set at the top then there's not much of a conversation to have here since headmins apparently have no control over this. A big part of this is also the choice of new admin candidates. I can't remember the last time we made a risky pick but some of the best admins in our history have been from players you wouldn't expect to do well in those positions.

This is a nice tagline, but what do you actually mean by it? Stripping out administrative oversight of conflict at all, so that outside of brazen griefing admins just mash the IC button? Because that seems more likely to result in TDM or people acting skittish around everyone waiting for that first blow to go full Reaver on them. Does this mean you also intend to remove rules such as not being allowed to maim or kill security for doing their job? As I say, this is a very vague promise.

Escalation policy is a crutch that makes the game less fun for players and administrating easier. I'm killing it and starting again from rule 1. This doesn't mean removing all the rules, as you mentioned not being able to maim or kill security for doing their job is a key one. Almost every other headmin candidate, other than the player ones, wants to take the rules in specific new directions that just lead to more refinement, precedent and conflict flowcharts. I'm going in the opposite direction, I've done it before and that intent is enough of a differentiator from most of the other candidates.

What exactly is blocking you from doing this now? And how do you intend to source prizes from your headmin budget of, uh, £0?

Headmins have an authority and access to the community that others do not. Should I lose I'll absolutely go ahead with this anyway, but it's a useful indicator of where I think we can improve the community and where some of my focus will be during the headmin term. I made the mistake previously of attempting the event workshop without headmin backing and despite putting in the work and completing the 5 planned large scale events I'd originally concieved, it just didn't get off the ground without that additional attention and legitimacy from it being a mandated headmin goal. I'm taking a similar approach to this goal to avoid a similar outcome.

Prizes can be sourced from the community, as well as antag and event tokens. This combos nicely with the event workshop, giving players incentive to participate if they want a shot at running their own events. Again, this is only easily possible with headmin backing.

Calibraptor

Postby Calibraptor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 am #510322

A headmin who wants to dial back what situations require OOC administrative involvement should honestly be appealing to admins, who are relieved of some of the tedious workload of administration by allowing the players to essentially police themselves.

Also yeah I'm going to laugh at the people who take this too seriously, just like I laugh at people who are super serious about headmin elections on DarkRP and Minecraft servers. I as a player am interested in a candidate who wants to reduce the number of anxiety inducing bwoinks whilst increasing the frequency of fun shit for the players, and also taking the wind out of the sails of admins and players who take themselves and the game far, far too seriously.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 am #510323

Atmosphere

I think you're mistaken to attribute it solely to headmins and as "flowing from the top" - headmins/admins receive far more then they give and the community in general tends to be more vitriolic and polarised (atleast on the salt mines that are the forums and discord). While a "less serious" headmin may have some chance of abating some of that, I fear you're ascribing too much influence to the position. A lot more influence comes from interactions with players, both good and bad, then it does from interacting with the headmins.

Regarding Trialmins, we currently have some 10 on the trot and generally are always looking for new ones - what class of player do you exactly believe is being overlooked? It's not that selective, evidently.

Stickymayhem wrote:Escalation policy is a crutch that makes the game less fun for players and administrating easier. I'm killing it and starting again from rule 1. This doesn't mean removing all the rules, as you mentioned not being able to maim or kill security for doing their job is a key one. Almost every other headmin candidate, other than the player ones, wants to take the rules in specific new directions that just lead to more refinement, precedent and conflict flowcharts. I'm going in the opposite direction, I've done it before and that intent is enough of a differentiator from most of the other candidates.

While I wouldn't disagree that a "to a T" escalation policy wouldn't be a good thing, don't you worry about going too far the other way? Stripping it down to rule 1 would leave a lot of stuff up to admin discretion, and notoriously one of the big complaints with any rule enforcement has been consistency.

[quuote]
Headmins have an authority and access to the community that others do not. Should I lose I'll absolutely go ahead with this anyway, but it's a useful indicator of where I think we can improve the community and where some of my focus will be during the headmin term. I made the mistake previously of attempting the event workshop without headmin backing and despite putting in the work and completing the 5 planned large scale events I'd originally concieved, it just didn't get off the ground without that additional attention and legitimacy from it being a mandated headmin goal. I'm taking a similar approach to this goal to avoid a similar outcome.[/quote]

Not to belabour the point, but you currently have a lot of the same access a headmin does. You can post in #announcements and in Auditorium, with the only "engagement" permission you don't have offhand being @everyone - something which as I recall headmins have been pretty happy to ping for legitimate reasons such as community events. I guess my point is more that I've not seen or heard of this up until the election started. That's not to say it's something you haven't intended, but it seems odd that this is popping out of the blue rather then something you've tried and failed to achieve while a GameMaster.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 am #510325

Calibraptor wrote:A headmin who wants to dial back what situations require OOC administrative involvement should honestly be appealing to admins, who are relieved of some of the tedious workload of administration by allowing the players to essentially police themselves.

Also yeah I'm going to laugh at the people who take this too seriously, just like I laugh at people who are super serious about headmin elections on DarkRP and Minecraft servers. I as a player am interested in a candidate who wants to reduce the number of anxiety inducing bwoinks whilst increasing the frequency of fun shit for the players, and also taking the wind out of the sails of admins and players who take themselves and the game far, far too seriously.

The first is kind of a misconception - most admins would like less administrative involvement but not at the cost of player experience. It's a nice idea that players would police themselves, and it may even work, but I don't share Sticky's optimism that it's a presumed thing.

The latter is your prerogative. I'm sorry you find people who enjoy the game enough to care about it laughable. While anything can be painted as absurd if you abstract it far enough, to some people this is more then just "a SS13 server" - its a community of friends and fellow players and even enemies and they understandably care about it. But as I say, it's your vote, you're free to place it where you want.

Calibraptor

Postby Calibraptor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:05 am #510326

Arianya wrote:
Calibraptor wrote:A headmin who wants to dial back what situations require OOC administrative involvement should honestly be appealing to admins, who are relieved of some of the tedious workload of administration by allowing the players to essentially police themselves.

The first is kind of a misconception - most admins would like less administrative involvement but not at the cost of player experience. It's a nice idea that players would police themselves, and it may even work, but I don't share Sticky's optimism that it's a presumed thing.

The latter is your prerogative. I'm sorry you find people who enjoy the game enough to care about it laughable. While anything can be painted as absurd if you abstract it far enough, to some people this is more then just "a SS13 server" - its a community of friends and fellow players and even enemies and they understandably care about it. But as I say, it's your vote, you're free to place it where you want.

I appreciate your impassioned lawful good post but you can love a community without being a 100% grimdark serious windbag about it. Be a mad cunt with the rest of us you'll have more fun.

Also that being said the chaos that coincides with less restrictive rules and admins is a fun and welcome part of the game imho just ban cunts who use it to be uncreative griffons.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:19 am #510329

Not to belabour the point, but you currently have a lot of the same access a headmin does. You can post in #announcements and in Auditorium, with the only "engagement" permission you don't have offhand being @everyone - something which as I recall headmins have been pretty happy to ping for legitimate reasons such as community events. I guess my point is more that I've not seen or heard of this up until the election started. That's not to say it's something you haven't intended, but it seems odd that this is popping out of the blue rather then something you've tried and failed to achieve while a GameMaster.

It's been prominent in every campaign I've run for the last two years, I opened up a subforum and discord channel, I ran over a dozen high scale events I would classify as under this criteria (Pre-planned, custom maps with players in NPC roles) including Warfare, the Syndiestroid, Origin of the Space Ninja, Facillity 322, The Jungle and VRarriors. You may have missed them because the recent ones have been run on Event Hall or previously Bagil. I never see you on the server so I'm not surprised you missed them, we're just on opposite timezones or something.

Regarding Trialmins, we currently have some 10 on the trot and generally are always looking for new ones - what class of player do you exactly believe is being overlooked? It's not that selective, evidently.

From what I've seen, they are mostly of the same serious ilk as the people making them. There's always been a balance between serious administrators and the goofy ones, but anyone can see the latter have been sloughing off the server for the last couple of years. You may think that's a good thing but that balance and conflict is important.

While I wouldn't disagree that a "to a T" escalation policy wouldn't be a good thing, don't you worry about going too far the other way? Stripping it down to rule 1 would leave a lot of stuff up to admin discretion, and notoriously one of the big complaints with any rule enforcement has been consistency.

This is always the argument in opposition to paring back the rules but it only serves lazy admins and people who want clear lines they can tiptoe around. Consistency is nearly impossible to achieve in a game as complex as SS13 so we shouldn't focus on it at the expense of gameplay. I'm sure this will make some admins uncomfortable, but they shouldn't refer to a script and neither should players.

We are only here to have fun. SS13 is a game and fun should be the only goal of your free time spent gaming, whether you find that in playing, administrating or engaging with the community elsewhere.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am #510330

Stickymayhem wrote:

It's been prominent in every campaign I've run for the last two years, I opened up a subforum and discord channel, I ran over a dozen high scale events I would classify as under this criteria (Pre-planned, custom maps with players in NPC roles) including Warfare, the Syndiestroid, Origin of the Space Ninja, Facillity 322, The Jungle and VRarriors. You may have missed them because the recent ones have been run on Event Hall or previously Bagil. I never see you on the server so I'm not surprised you missed them, we're just on opposite timezones or something.

I meant your "Playing Other Games With The Community" point =)

From what I've seen, they are mostly of the same serious ilk as the people making them. There's always been a balance between serious administrators and the goofy ones, but anyone can see the latter have been sloughing off the server for the last couple of years. You may think that's a good thing but that balance and conflict is important.

I'd disagree, from what I've seen of the trials, but opinions are opinions.

Calibraptor wrote:I appreciate your impassioned lawful good post but you can love a community without being a 100% grimdark serious windbag about it. Be a mad cunt with the rest of us you'll have more fun.

Also that being said the chaos that coincides with less restrictive rules and admins is a fun and welcome part of the game imho just ban cunts who use it to be uncreative griffons.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, for the sake of not derailing sticky's candidate thread, while it's disappointing you might see me as a "100% grimdark serious windbag", I assure you I have plenty of fun. :superhappy:

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 am #510341

I meant your "Playing Other Games With The Community" point =)

Oh my bad!

Yep totally out of left field. I've been thinking about it for maybe a month or so and thought with some headmin backing and in game prizes it'd be a good way to incentivize some fun and get people hanging out, talking, streaming and playing other shit. Making some videos, maybe a podcast. I've been gearing up for this for a while it's just been on hold with my moving house and not having reliable internet for a few weeks.

It's quite rare to have a community this large so focused on one thing and I tjink it'd be nice if we branched out a little. I'm sure it would help cool people off in general if they have other games to play together other than SS13 while being in the same community with the same fucked up culture.

lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm #510373

i'll be honest, i don't see eye to eye with you on a lot of things, but i agree with you entirely on a few points.

1. we are way WAY too serious, as someone who has been here a long time maybe it's my boomer glasses but it feels like we were more carefree and retarded way back when. a step back to that in any way is a good thing

2. i think escalation should actually be flat binned, it provides nothing useful at this point. yes we would have inconsistency but a flowchart is dumb and servers like lif*web manage to have an incredible atmosphere with effectively none. a bit more trust in the admin team and players goes a long way

3. we're in a state of stagnation within the team, it's part of why i've ghosted mostly at this point. to be fair some of the VERY serious admins (ala subject) burned out as they tend to do, but the tone is always set by the headmins. the rustled/citrus/owegno term was one of high energy, lots of events and a lot more down to earth stuff for example (not flawless by any means, no term is). this term i'd catagorize as.. stressful, the ball has been the most notable fun thing but it's mostly been dramas, people burning out and people being way too serious in things like NTR for example.

4. discord being hostile and reactionary is actually quite accurate and i'll probably cop flak for this one, won't even elaborate beyond i see it and it's not just him.

maybe i'm retarded, maybe i'm actually going senile in my boomer brain, but i think that even if sticky makes everything go to shit it will be better than it is right now. maybe it won't, maybe it will fall apart. but the great part is it only lasts 6 months.

edit: if the trend continues in the admin team right now i'm genuinely certain we'll start losing good people

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:39 pm #510387

Glad it's not just me seeing that problem

I also feel there was a very clear shift in the atmosphere once the citrus rustle owegno headmins left. It still felt like we had that wacky spirit. They were more serious than previous administrations but ultimately balanced it well.

Blurbo

Byond Username: Blurbo

Postby Blurbo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:39 pm #510404

I think sticky is the best candidate since he does not focus on the shit we already tried to fix a million times and failed like escalation but on gameplay and player experience
blurbo,professional (more) retard

OH MY GOD ITS ALL CONNECTED, BLURBO IS USING BIP TO POST ORANGES PROPAGANDA AND TURN PEOPLE INTO STRIPESOCKS SO THEY CAN GET FREE CODE LABOR

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:00 pm #510451

Stickymayhem is a parasite on this server who only comes around every few months to stir up drama and try to become headmin again despite being inactive as fuck.
Anyone who votes for this buffoon is being fooled and does not know his history.
My question is not whether or not Sticky should be headmin. I'm just wondering why this dumbass is still an admin at all.

Some of his history:
Sticky FABRICATES SCREENSHOTS claiming I wanted to remove BoxStation.
Sticky creates a drama thread about TGMC (formerly DMCA) and leaves when I reply calling out his bullshit.

Think about it - why would you want to work with Sticky, or under his "leadership"?
This is what he has done as a GameMaster, imagine what he would do as a HeadAdmin.
Sticky rants a lot in this thread about current headmins "not being fun". This is bullshit, and is whatever he says when I call him out on his subversive, drama-stirring behavior.

For the love of God, don't vote for this stupid fuck.

Blurbo

Byond Username: Blurbo

Postby Blurbo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm #510456

fuck nevermind
blurbo,professional (more) retard

OH MY GOD ITS ALL CONNECTED, BLURBO IS USING BIP TO POST ORANGES PROPAGANDA AND TURN PEOPLE INTO STRIPESOCKS SO THEY CAN GET FREE CODE LABOR

Me_Bigsnail

Byond Username: Bongosz

Postby Me_Bigsnail » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:31 pm #510466

Hey, as long as he knows what kind of issues the current state of the game has AND how to fix them then he has my support, i dont really give a crap about drama because it seems more of a way to fend off people from voting than being an actual argument to prove his proposals are wrong/unnecessary

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm #510468

He doesn't even have any policies. It's just some meaningless bullshit about, "players first!"
Anyone can say what he says, at the end of the day some inactive jackass is the last person who has a good understanding and rapport with the players.

His only other policy is the "Events Workshop". Funny enough, it's something we have already done.
Do you know what happened to it? It got put into an archive, because it was a fucking dumb idea and no one used it.
Proof:

Timonk

Byond Username: Timonk

Postby Timonk » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:40 pm #510473

It's like trump saying America first basically
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel

Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 pm #510475

Well I guess I didn't need to mention by name who I was alluding too he's made the issue pretty clear right in this thread.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:49 pm #510476

Actually I'm not gonna stoop. He's said his piece I'm not going there.

Timonk

Postby Timonk » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:52 pm #510478

Stickymayhem wrote:Actually I'm not gonna stoop. He's said his piece I'm not going there.

I dunno if I'm supposed to say "what?" or "oh God oh fuck"
Agux909 wrote:

Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Whoneedspacee

Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Postby Whoneedspacee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:55 pm #510479

Stickymayhem wrote:Actually I'm not gonna stoop. He's said his piece I'm not going there.

Can you at least respond, this is a headmin in your headmin election thread calling you out on something, it at least denotes a response, and it doesn't need to be a harsh one to get your side of things.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 pm #510500

Alright if you insist. It's a shame that the only way to deal with someone who finds this all so incredibly important is to take the situation as seriously as they do.

Anyone can see Nervere is driven by emotion here. For context (notably absent from his 'evidence' here) I played a couple of dumb jokes on him to get on his nerves and he's never forgiven me. He is a deeply serious man about everything and when he put his first candidate thread in place I expressed my concern for the direction he would take the server in. In a misguided attempt at what I guess you could call hazing, I did what I've done to pretty much every headmin administration over the last 6 years I've been here. I shitposted, made some silly memes and poked fun at them. Nervere is the first person of dozens, in six years, to take that as a personal attack in a way I've only ever seen people respond to actual violence. I didn't mean to do that, but now that it's happened it's not fixable.

If you truly believe that the gameplay and community of SS13 have improved at his hand over the last year (I clearly do not) then vote for whoever he endorses (I imagine it'll be jcll since they have a similar deathly serious attitude to the community and are as keen to specifically remove me) but, if you've been here from before Nervere's time and feel things have started to move from the core of what makes /tg/station special, I would say a huge part of that is his influence specifically. He's been the dominant decision maker over the last two terms and in my opinion only Ari had the force of personality to really contest him on much publicly. It doesn't take much to make adminbus a hostile and toxic place, but it's moving in that direction and I've seen it before around 4-5 years ago before we even voted for headmins. I feel that rearing it's head again and that really does trickle down to the players, especially considering the toxic attitudes that get built up in there over time.

We aren't there yet, but give it another 6 months without a shift in direction and it'll start getting difficult to change.

I'm not going to get into an extended debate with Nervere on this if I can help it, but I think there is enough in this thread between us for any readers to decide who they think will take the server in a better direction. Ironically I think anyone who wants a clear view of what he's brought to the server for the last year can see it in the dramatic rhetoric he's brought to this thread.

He's made my argument for me. If you agree with him then you disagree with me, and that's fine. If it turns out the majority want the server to go in that direction then I'm the one who's out of touch and as much as I'd like some of that magic to be retained, maybe it isn't as valuable as I thought it was. I want to try though.

IkeTG

Byond Username: LizardDreams

Postby IkeTG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 pm #510532

Is this idea of being less serious going to result in something more than unnecessary pot stirring and someone(s) eventually being made the butt of a dumb admin joke? It doesn't seem productive of a headmin to pigeonhole admins who aren't privy to your shenanigans into a caricature of this hyper serious ban drone who can't enjoy the game. You say this is to break the mold but it looks more like hapless trolling at the expense of people just trying to run the server.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:51 pm #510535

Shit sticky I don't usually comment in admin candidate threads, but this time I will.

I wouldn't call forging logs of them conspiring to disable a well loved map(box) a dumb joke or hazing, it was malicious, targeted and calculated and you did it for literally no reason that I can determine other than you wanted to start shit with nervere, perhaps you should explain to us what your fixation is?

To top it off, when you got called out on it you turned around and packed a sad at everyone who was calling you a fucking moron, which is what you were.

You did the admin equivalent of ban baiting and you're still refusing to take ownership of that fuckup even though everyone agrees what you did was stupid as fuck.

lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 am #510572

oranges wrote:Shit sticky I don't usually comment in admin candidate threads, but this time I will.

I wouldn't call forging logs of them conspiring to disable a well loved map(box) a dumb joke or hazing, it was malicious, targeted and calculated and you did it for literally no reason that I can determine other than you wanted to start shit with nervere, perhaps you should explain to us what your fixation is?

To top it off, when you got called out on it you turned around and packed a sad at everyone who was calling you a fucking moron, which is what you were.

You did the admin equivalent of ban baiting and you're still refusing to take ownership of that fuckup even though everyone agrees what you did was stupid as fuck.

yeah he is right on this one champ, it was pretty shitty and i'm surprised you weren't removed from the team for it

Ty the Smonk

Byond Username: Ty the Smonk

Postby Ty the Smonk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 am #510583

I was kinda on the fence with sticky since i like more laid back admins but Jesus Christ after hearing that shit yea no i don't want a valid hunter admin to be headmin. How are you still a admin.

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: Deedubya

Postby deedubya » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:21 am #510609

oranges wrote:Shit sticky I don't usually comment in admin candidate threads, but this time I will.

Sorry for the low quality post, but what in the actual fuck? This isn't just unacceptable behavior from a potential headmin candidate(lost my vote permanently), but unacceptable behavior for an admin in general. How did he even stay on the team after this?

For the record, I actually agree with the overall stance of "people take this shit too seriously", but if the inverse of "everyone can grief and be cocks to eachother with no consequence" is the alternative you propose, then I'm more than happy keeping the status quo.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

Timonk

Postby Timonk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:06 am #510672

Yea, forging shit for malicious intent is a big yikes, but on the other side nervere has roasted like half of the candidates so..
Agux909 wrote:

Next

Return to Archived/Deleted