[Deleted] deedubya - make /tg/station great again

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: Deedubya

deedubya - make /tg/station great again

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:35 pm #544697

You're reading that right. I am running for headmin this term, for a variety of reasons that I will explain below.

Is this a joke?
No.

Don't you hate the administration here?
Contrary to popular belief, I don't. I believe some of them act irrationally and give other admins a bad name, and I believe in particular that the headmins this past term were quite weak in terms of providing direction for the server. These are both things I hope to correct should I be elected.

What will you do regarding administration?
Try to standardize rulings. For one, I believe in forgiveness for first time offenders, unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were acting in bad faith. People make mistakes, and it's nearly impossible not to make a potentially round-ruining mistake in a game as open ended and unpredictable as this one is. As long as people learn from those mistakes, I don't believe they should be punished for them. However to contrast, should they repeat the same mistakes, I believe in much harsher punishments. An unwillingness to learn or adapt to our standards should be treated as an unwillingness to participate in this community, and treated as such. Finally, I will put aside a good amount of time to personally review ban appeals and complaints, ensuring that a person was not unfairly treated, that admins are held accountable for poor behavior, and that they are dealt with in a timely manner.

What about the people that get wrongly banned and successfully appeal?
This is not set in stone, but an idea I'd like to try: Giving a person one "antag token" for every day they were wrongly banned for. It's not enough to make up for the days they were unable to play on the server, but the way the current system works a player receives no recourse for a wrongful ban apart from an "oops my bad" from the responsible admin, assuming that it wasn't overturned by a headmin. A server does not survive without its players, and I believe that players should be treated with more respect, as they make up the vast majority of our community.

What is your stance on LRP/MRP?
I have been observing the shifts in server population recently as a sign that the majority of /tg/ would prefer to return to the days of MRP. Sybil(previously known for having a higher standard of RP to bagil) grew more and more, while Bagil slowly bled players. When Bagil players moved to Sybil, the community as a whole bled players more and more as standards fell, until the creation of Manuel. Upon it's creation and up until today, Manuel has remained the most popular server on the NA roster, despite having a much lower population cap. In years past, MRP was considered the standard of /tg/station, and it's clear the majority of the community would like to return to those days.

What will you do to boost MRP?
Currently, only one server exists for MRP, while the rest are treated as LRP/NRP by the playerbase. This will change to be the opposite. I believe there are currently plans to create an MRP server for the EU, I would like to proceed with that. I would also like to change Sybil to a second MRP server, take it off the hub, and leave Bagil as the only LRP server left in NA. The fourth server would return to being Event Hall NA and be placed back on the hub, to act as a parallel to the EU version. Further, I believe the current MRP rules require more fine tuning before they can be properly used for our community. As far as I'm aware, the current ones were slapdashed together from another community's MRP rules, and as such have caused some friction in their adoption. I cannot say with certainty what would be changed at this time, and it would be a discussion I would have to have with the other headmins to decide how to fine tune them to suit our community's needs.

What about escalation?
I don't believe escalation has a place in any environment that isn't LRP/NRP. It only serves to allow chronic troublemakers to consistently disturb someone's round until they earn a retaliation, at which point they can ruin their round entirely according to the general interpretation of escalation. I would like to remove escalation entirely, and write a new rule based on instigation, rather than escalation. This new rule would put all the consequences of a bad situation on the person that chose to instigate it, so long as the person responding to it responds appropriately. So long as a reasonable response is chosen, an instigator will not be allowed to retaliate against someone they chose to instigate conflict with. This may not sound entirely fair at first glance, but I would like to flesh it out more with both community involvement and feedback from fellow headmins...also, the current system isn't particularly fair either. Too often have I seen burnt out players kill-baiting and getting little recourse due to the fact that "escalation was followed". This is unacceptable to well-meaning players of the community.

What's your stance on free speech, slurs, and harassment?
Under no circumstances do I believe continued personal harassment is okay. I do however believe in freedom of expression, a free choice of language and vernacular, and the culture of "bantz". I believe players on the server should be able to use any words that they wish, which is currently what is reflected in headmin precedent. Regarding the difference between "bantz" and harassment, I believe the onus is on the player that feels they are being harassed to ask for it to stop. It must be directed at them personally for it to be considered harassment. Should they request that the directed attack(intentional or not) stop, that request must be respected, else the perpetrator face harsh punishment. I also don't wish for it to become seen as socially unacceptable to make such a request. If you feel uncomfortable making the request personally, you can ahelp the issue, but no punishments should be given to a perpetrator until they have been directly told to stop by the victim or admin - unless it's provable beyond a shadow of a doubt that the player was acting in bad faith.

Cats?
Yes.

#freedrone
As the community shifts back to a general attitude of MRP and the rules and enforcements begin to reflect such, I would like to see them reimplemented in their entirety, as-is. If a person cannot be trusted to correctly handle the role, then that person should be punished, not all players who may wish to play the role.

You've never been an admin here, what qualifications do you have?
I've been in positions of community management during basically the entirety of the past decade and a half of my online life. I've managed roleplay communities. DM'd for several online and real-life tabletop campaigns. Managed several large and successful guilds in different MMOs, including the /vg/ guilds for Mabinogi and MS2. I have some experience with server management from when I ran servers for Q3E games back in the mid-00s. In real life, I've worked as a shop foreman, and currently work as an independent contractor who is occasionally expected to bring on and manage hirelings in order to do larger jobs. I've also recently become a founder and headmin of my own ss13 server(which I will not name due to advertising), which has consistently been pulling lowpop(5-15 player) rounds in the evenings despite not advertising it until under a month ago. This gives me familiarity with admin commands, configs, and other basic shit that would be required of a headmin here.

You just said you're running another ss13 server, why are you running for headmin here?
Because the primary reason that server exists is because of a large demographic of people that have grown dissatisfied with the state of this server within the past several months. I'm not the only one that's noticed major dips in population since around October of 2019. I communicate with multiple "metagangs" and am fully aware of how people are burnt out and fed up with the state of /tg/ in the present day and searching for alternatives. I myself am among those people. If we can get strong leadership to push this community into a better place, those people will return, and the people already here will be happier as well. I've been in this community far longer than my forum join date or ckey age would suggest. I once loved this community, and it honestly hurts for me to see it in the sorry state it is today.

Other admins get burnt out just from being headmin of one community for a single term, can you seriously manage to do two?
Yes. I can't speak directly for past headmins, but I don't believe they approached it with the correct mindset and sense of responsibility that they should have, nor were they aware of the stress the community would put upon them. I see managing a community as a volunteer job, and treat it with the same level of professionalism as I would any other job. I'm also well accustomed to the sheer vitriol a community will put upon it's leaders for things they personally dislike within it. I don't crack under pressure, and find ways to find usable feedback from the storm of hateful messages that is received. As a quick aside, in regards to handling other administrators; I also see them as volunteer workers, and will treat them as such. If they're unwilling to uphold those same standards of professionalism and integrity(fuck you pay me) then they will be dealt with accordingly.

You're one of the people that gives vitriol to the admins, and you shitpost a lot. Why should we trust you as headmin?
You shouldn't trust anyone as headmin. But if you want someone with loads of previous experience, and has no stakes in the current administration(meaning no cases of cronyism) then I doubt you'll find a better candidate. I also believe in separation in personal and professional attitudes. How I act professionally is very different from how I act personally. Personally, you'd see more of what you already see on the forums. I have no responsibility to the community and thus act accordingly. Professionally, you'd see more of what you'll be seeing in this headmin topic and debate topics. I do my utmost to keep my personal opinions and stances outside of my judgements as an administrator, and set a good example for other staff and perhaps even members to follow.

Do you even think you have a shot at winning?
Probably not. But the headmin elections are a chance to enact positive change in a community I once held dear. Even if that chance is slim, it's better than the no chance I'd have if I didn't even try.

You haven't even played in the past three months. Would you even be active enough to lead this community?
Would any of our current three headmins?

Low hanging fruit aside, I've been active in other communities and dealing with personal projects in the past three months. Before November 2019, I was one of the most active players on the server, despite working nearly full-time hours. That activity would return should I be tasked with helping lead this community.

Final statements?
I think I've said everything that needs to be said, really. I'll be happy to answer anyone's serious concerns here and in the debates. If you don't want to vote for me because of my abrasive and occasionally antagonistic attitude, I understand. I'm a man of principle, and I don't like to blunt my words, I believe in straight, direct communication of what's actually on your mind, rather than avoiding more serious subjects or refusing to be completely honest with people. If you happen to agree with the principles I've laid out within this topic, I would appreciate your support. Despite what you may think of me, I genuinely wish to improve this community beyond the state that it has fallen into in the present day. This was the server I learned to play on many years ago, led here by the generals that used to be posted on /tg/. I've intermittently played on it over the past 5-10 years, under names I couldn't even remember if I tried. I've played in many communities in the past, but /tg/ was always the one I'd come back to. It was the gold standard. I hope that regardless of if I win or lose in this election, that some day /tg/ becomes the gold standard once again. I only wish for the opportunity to help it return there.

Did you seriously expect us to read all that shit?
Yes. You made it this far, didn't you?
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

Lazengann
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: deedubya - make /tg/station great again

Postby Lazengann » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:39 pm #544700

Conflict of interest here, if you're running another server wouldn't it be in your best interest to torpedo this one so yours gets more players? Thanks

peoplearestrange

Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:45 pm #544702

If you won, what reassurance would the admin team have that you would work WITH the adminteam rather than being trying to rule with an iron fist and causing more internal drama? Current issues have shown a contrary to this.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...

Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NoxVS

Postby NoxVS » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:54 pm #544706

Why do you think you are able to understand and change the current community when you have not actually played since December?

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm #544710

Lazengann wrote:Conflict of interest here, if you're running another server wouldn't it be in your best interest to torpedo this one so yours gets more players? Thanks

This is a pretty valid and obvious point that I should have addressed in the original post. Although, the answer does lie within one of my previous points: The departing population(including myself) left because of dissatisfaction with the direction of the community. If the ship were righted, people would return. I would much rather right the ship than sink it and get everyone to board a new one. This doesn't mean that I would quit or attempt to shut down the community I helped create, as I also have a responsibility to the people there, but I would not attempt to intentionally sabotage this one should I be given that level of trust.

peoplearestrange wrote:If you won, what reassurance would the admin team have that you would work WITH the adminteam rather than being trying to rule with an iron fist and causing more internal drama? Current issues have shown a contrary to this.

As a leader, my goals are to inspire respect, not fear. I've already stated my wish to help standardize and alter the method in which administrators currently operate. Should that come to pass, I would hold them to those expectations, while also adhering to them myself - leading through example, not strict orders. That being said, as a leader, sometimes you're expected to be harsh with the people under you when necessary. It's expected of any managerial position. Sometimes you have to make the hard choices that make you unpopular with the people you're responsible for. The best I can offer is that I will be patient, fair, but firm with people that I see as acting out of line - be they admin or player.

If my word isn't good enough, then I suppose the fact that I'd be flanked by two other headmins who can overrule me at any time should be reassurance that I'd be unable to "rule with an iron fist", even if that was my intent.

NoxVS wrote:Why do you think you are able to understand and change the current community when you have not actually played since December?

Because I do not believe the community has made substantial change since that time. Any changes that have occurred, have been observable from a distance, or been communicated to me through other people. Said changes have been positive from my perspective. Namely, the trend back towards MRP. This is a change that I'd like to reinforce. If you believe that the community has made other substantial change within the past 2-3 months that I am not aware of, I am open to hearing what they were. I'll be happy to factor those changes in to my proposals if they're applicable.

Spoiler:

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

FloranOtten
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: FloranOtten

Postby FloranOtten » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:12 pm #544715

If you were to become a headmin, would you be a leader or a boss
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!

Tarchonvaagh

Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Postby Tarchonvaagh » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 pm #544717

Or a god-king emperor
"You cannot defeat what lives on in the heart, and soul, of every TG player" - Birdboat
Leave thought-provoking posts at my thread!

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:28 pm #544729

FloranOtten wrote:If you were to become a headmin, would you be a leader or a boss

I'll admit to being slightly confused by this question. I believe the best qualities of both are basically interchangeable. Could you elaborate specifically how you differentiate the two?

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Or a god-king emperor

Impossible, even if I wanted to. Which I don't. I believe that having trustable peers that can second guess you and that you can bounce ideas off of are a good thing. Even a person with the best of intentions can and will make mistakes. It's important to ensure that one person doesn't hold all the power.

Spoiler:

Tlaltecuhtli

Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:37 pm #544734

got any fact to back this up?

peoplearestrange

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 pm #544743

deedubya wrote: I've already stated my wish to help standardize and alter the method in which administrators currently operate. Should that come to pass, I would hold them to those expectations, while also adhering to them myself - leading through example, not strict orders.

You want to standardize the rules for admins, without strict orders? Those things seem mutally exclusive.
It defiantly sounds like you want to put down a bunch of rules which you think are needed and the remove the admins that don't fit that mind set. That doesn't sound like working with the admin team, that seems more like ripping it apart and removing those who don't fall in line for self benefit.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...

Are you having a stroke

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm #544756

peoplearestrange wrote:
deedubya wrote: I've already stated my wish to help standardize and alter the method in which administrators currently operate. Should that come to pass, I would hold them to those expectations, while also adhering to them myself - leading through example, not strict orders.

You want to standardize the rules for admins, without strict orders? Those things seem mutally exclusive.
It defiantly sounds like you want to put down a bunch of rules which you think are needed and the remove the admins that don't fit that mind set. That doesn't sound like working with the admin team, that seems more like ripping it apart and removing those who don't fall in line for self benefit.

I think you misunderstand the intent of doing so. Making a more unified standard would be done with the intent of improving matters for both admins and players. It would make things easier for admins as they have a more objective reference when making decisions relating to those standardized rules. It would make things easier for players as well, as they'd have a better idea of what to expect from the administration. It'd also make things easier for headmins as well when ruling on an appeal or complaint, as there'd be a more solid frame of reference to compare the actions against.

You are correct however, in that I believe admins that cannot comply with admin policy should be removed from the team. That's not a new concept that will suddenly come into play with me present. I also have no reason to believe that changes in admin policy have never occurred in the past, either. Expecting admins to abide by standards set by headmins that are elected by players and admins is not unreasonable in my eyes.

Spoiler:

FloranOtten
In-Game Admin

Postby FloranOtten » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:35 pm #544768

To clarify, a boss is the person who gives the command to move a rock. A leader is the person at the front of the pack pulling on said rock. Both are fine, but which will you be?

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!

Lazengann
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lazengann

Postby Lazengann » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm #544771

deedubya wrote:as I also have a responsibility to the people there,

the people? you mean the person?

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:03 pm #544784

FloranOtten wrote:To clarify, a boss is the person who gives the command to move a rock. A leader is the person at the front of the pack pulling on said rock. Both are fine, but which will you be?

In this case, I don't believe either is mutually exclusive.

I prefer to lead by example, doing as much work as I can and inspiring the people behind me. However - especially in a community as large as this one - it's impossible to do all the work yourself. You will need to delegate to other people that you trust to handle the jobs that you're unable to do yourself - be it because you lack the time, resources, or skill to do so. This is an important skill that I feel many leadership figures in online communities are lacking.

Spoiler:

keluandrie

Byond Username: Keluandrie

Postby keluandrie » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:33 pm #544802

Do you believe a lack of previous SS13 administrative experience will hamper you in this role?

As much as we all like to dogpile on admins for being internet janitors, moderating a busy SS13 server is significantly more focus intensive than any one forum board or community. I say this primarily due to the required turn-over time on issues, and the general breed of player the game tends to attract. (and for the record, the newly opened server counts for little in this regard, as it hasn't reached even a medpop.)

Omni

Byond Username: Omni44

Postby Omni » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:35 pm #544806

deedubya wrote:As a leader, my goals are to inspire respect, not fear.

With all due respect Boss/Leader, what experience do you have inspiring respect among people of this community?

Qbopper
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:39 pm #544809

one thing that gets overlooked with controversial candidates a lot is the existing relationship the candidate has with the admin team

quite a few of your posts are outright antagonistic towards the majority of admins

if you won how would you deal with this already extremely strained relationship of animosity
Limey wrote:its too late.

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Postby capn_monkeypaw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 pm #544824

Given your repeated and well-demonstrated unwillingness to read logs before offering your opinion on administrative matters, how can the members of this community trust you to come to objective and fact-based rulings?

Will you commit now to always fully investigating an incident before passing judgement?

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Postby BeeSting12 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:48 pm #544843

A player has never won a headmin election, and the only one who even got remotely close had a very large fanbase for lack of a better word. What makes you think you're different?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 pm #544882

keluandrie wrote:Do you believe a lack of previous SS13 administrative experience will hamper you in this role?

As much as we all like to dogpile on admins for being internet janitors, moderating a busy SS13 server is significantly more focus intensive than any one forum board or community. I say this primarily due to the required turn-over time on issues, and the general breed of player the game tends to attract. (and for the record, the newly opened server counts for little in this regard, as it hasn't reached even a medpop.)

From a managerial standpoint, I don't believe so. I believe I would perform at the least at an adequate level for any activity besides the actual act of being a game admin, which I am currently learning and will continue to do regardless of if I win this election. We have many capable administrators on this team, so I don't forsee this being an issue for very long, if at all.

Omni wrote:
deedubya wrote:As a leader, my goals are to inspire respect, not fear.

With all due respect Boss/Leader, what experience do you have inspiring respect among people of this community?

I've not been in a position where I'm expected to do so in this community. The only thing I can even remotely offer relating to this community is my ingame record, where very few players have ever complained about my conduct or character. I don't know how many notes/bans people get on average, but I feel that my note record is on the low side as well. When I complained about tiding a few months ago and people said "lead by example", that's exactly what I did. I wouldn't call myself the model player by any means, but I believe I've set a relatively good example for people to follow.

Qbopper wrote:one thing that gets overlooked with controversial candidates a lot is the existing relationship the candidate has with the admin team

quite a few of your posts are outright antagonistic towards the majority of admins

if you won how would you deal with this already extremely strained relationship of animosity

I would disagree that I've been antagonistic towards the majority of the admins. Many times I've gone out of my way to state that I actually have no issues with the majority of them, as I believe the vast majority of current administrators are doing a fine, if not good job.

Regarding any animosity I may hold towards any current admins, this is where my earlier stated separation of personal and professional personas comes into play. When I put my headmin hat on, I do my best to forget about any personal gripes I may have with staff or players, and try to do the job as objectively as possible. The only thing I can hope for is for that professionalism to be reciprocated. We don't need to be friends in order to work together, even though that would certainly be a plus.

capn_monkeypaw wrote:Given your repeated and well-demonstrated unwillingness to read logs before offering your opinion on administrative matters, how can the members of this community trust you to come to objective and fact-based rulings?

Will you commit now to always fully investigating an incident before passing judgement?

I can't comment on any posts I've made in the actual shitposting forum in the past. But in an official forum, yes. It'll be my job to do so, and I always do the duties that are expected of me when I'm doing a job.

BeeSting12 wrote:A player has never won a headmin election, and the only one who even got remotely close had a very large fanbase for lack of a better word. What makes you think you're different?

I don't. In all honesty - due to my reputation - I expect to pull up in a neat last place. But you miss every shot you don't take. If there's even a slim chance in hell that I can change this community for the better, I'll shoot for that chance. Perhaps enough people see the same issues I see, and believe in my goals for the community. I'll never know unless I at least make an honest attempt.

Spoiler:

Nabski

Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Postby Nabski » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:30 pm #544886

Do you have a day job/in education or are you a NEET?

Armhulen
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Postby Armhulen » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:46 pm #544897

You won't get any votes because you will be useless. Let's say that you won, which won't happen. Both elects will hate you and ignore and veto everything you do. The admins hate you, and can simply ignore everything you'd tell them to do because the other head admins can veto you. An admin no confidence vote has been thrown around in the past, if the headmins want to do this they can straight up remove you. What's your plans for countering any of this?
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:05 pm #544916

Nabski wrote:Do you have a day job/in education or are you a NEET?

I know the OP was a long read, but hang in there. You almost made it.

I've been a tradesman for the past decade. I currently work as an independent contractor.

Armhulen wrote:You won't get any votes because you will be useless. Let's say that you won, which won't happen. Both elects will hate you and ignore and veto everything you do. The admins hate you, and can simply ignore everything you'd tell them to do because the other head admins can veto you. An admin no confidence vote has been thrown around in the past, if the headmins want to do this they can straight up remove you. What's your plans for countering any of this?

In the scenario where I win the player vote(the admin vote is 100% out) and the other two headmins stonewall everything I do out of pure spite or have me removed, I suspect that it would not go down well with the playerbase that voted me in as their representative. If that bridge ever gets crossed, we'll simply have to see how it plays out. That's not exactly a situation you should have to plan for.

Spoiler:

IkeTG

Byond Username: LizardDreams

Postby IkeTG » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:21 pm #544928

You have displayed in the hut you have a lot of preconceptions about the administration staff, and have often antagonized them over what most consider nonissues. As a headmin you would have to work with the other two headmins and the administration staff in order to get things done, and I don't believe you would be able work with them. How would you go about changing my mind?

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm #544929

IkeTG wrote:You have displayed in the hut you have a lot of preconceptions about the administration staff, and have often antagonized them over what most consider nonissues. As a headmin you would have to work with the other two headmins and the administration staff in order to get things done, and I don't believe you would be able work with them. How would you go about changing my mind?

this question has been asked and answered multiple times already

XivilaiAnaxes

Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 pm #544931

You have my vote buddy!

IkeTG

Byond Username: LizardDreams

Postby IkeTG » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:32 pm #544933

oranges wrote:this question has been asked and answered multiple times already

Indeed it has, my bad; I'll ask a more open ended question then!
Deedubya, you've said before that you believed that the best years of /tg/Station 13 have come and gone. What exactly do you think were traits of the good old days and how do you think headmins could necessarily take the steps to return to them?

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm #544959

IkeTG wrote:
oranges wrote:this question has been asked and answered multiple times already

Indeed it has, my bad; I'll ask a more open ended question then!
Deedubya, you've said before that you believed that the best years of /tg/Station 13 have come and gone. What exactly do you think were traits of the good old days and how do you think headmins could necessarily take the steps to return to them?

I believe the "good old days" were defined by many things, some of which are unreasonable to go back to and impossible to accomplish by a headmin team. The main thing I feel that defined those days was a greater sense of community, both in and out of character. We had strong leaders that directed the community. The codebase had a lot less QoL and player convenience, so players relied on one another a lot more. Tiding still existed, but people tended to know their limits, and restrained from the rampant shittery that a greyshirt is known for today. People had more respect for one another, and people rarely - if ever - got banned for something that most sane people would consider bantz. Finally, there's one thing we'll never get back about the days that we first started playing ss13: The sense of wonderment and discovery we had as we tried new things on a constant basis.

I don't think those days are possible to go back to in their entirety. But we can attempt to bring the sense of community and cooperation back, by defining limits for people in character and allowing people to express themselves out of character - within reason. Having a strong sense of direction from all three headmins will also serve to guide the community, opposed to the relative silence and vague activity that we've become accustomed to from most recent headmins.

Spoiler:

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:43 am #545100

ok but specifically what were those days, like who was headmin and around what time was it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:26 pm #545259

PKPenguin321 wrote:ok but specifically what were those days, like who was headmin and around what time was it

There were two periods that I recall. I wasn't as heavily involved with the forums/IRC back then so I really only remember what went down in game when I was playing during those times.

A period I want to say 7-8 years ago when I believe errorage was in charge? This is the part I admittedly remember quite poorly. I think the server I played on was called Ayrton or something like that? That being said, everyone on the server seemed to get along pretty well, and everything seemed harmonious to me. I heard errorage wound up going off the deep end shortly afterwards when the forums changed over, but this was after I'd stopped playing for the first time.

Second period was 4-5 years ago? I could be wrong on the timeframe, but I remember two distinct names: Anon3 as host, and HG as the most prominent headmin. This was where I really settled in and learned to play, but again avoided the forums/IRC since generals were still being posted back on /tg/ back then. This is the portion of the history that I respect as having good, strong leadership. I believe this was back when the codebus still had a headmin position, and this wound up with a good relationship between policy and code, at least from an outside perspective. I know it's beyond the scope of a headmin team to demand a change in the host vote, but I would honestly like to give that back to the codebus. Having a representative from the Players, Admins, and Coders would be the ideal situation for headmins, in my opinion.

After that, last play period I had was during mid-2018. I didn't play for long, left as quickly as I came. Couldn't tell you who was in charge back then. Then I came back in mid-2019, and here we are today.

Spoiler:

peoplearestrange

Postby peoplearestrange » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:05 pm #545323

Can you comment on your FNR post approval?

If you were a headmin your comments wouldn't fall under peanut technically, but their biased, uninformed and/or irrelevancy would still remain. Do you see that as being a problem to other players or causing infighting amongst the admin team?

EDIT: I believe you were put on post approval due to consistently breaking the forum rules. What assurances would we have that someone who cannot stick to forum rules could enforce them?
Whatever
Spoiler:

Saegrimr wrote:

IM TRYING

Kor wrote:

Are you having a stroke

I'm a box

bandit
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Bgobandit

Postby bandit » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:31 pm #545338

The Kor question: Who would you deadmin?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 am #545422

peoplearestrange wrote:Can you comment on your FNR post approval?

If you were a headmin your comments wouldn't fall under peanut technically, but their biased, uninformed and/or irrelevancy would still remain. Do you see that as being a problem to other players or causing infighting amongst the admin team?

EDIT: I believe you were put on post approval due to consistently breaking the forum rules. What assurances would we have that someone who cannot stick to forum rules could enforce them?

My FNR post approval was due to me attempting to use my knowledge of rules and precedent to arbitrate on other people's cases in situations where I felt they were not being treated fairly. Always, I attempted to take all posted evidence into account while doing so while providing a neutral take. As it's become increasingly apparent, it appears that me doing so as a player was not welcome. As a headmin, it would be required of me to arbitrate such cases. It's actually one of my campaign promises to do so, as a matter of fact. I will admit, that perhaps 1-3 of those deleted posts were not up to proper standard, but those were in the past and I have since learned from them. Lord knows one of our current headmins has made mistakes arbitrating on appeals and still not learned a thing from them.

bandit wrote:The Kor question: Who would you deadmin?

Truthfully? Nobody. As a player, I lack the perspective required to make a definitive judgement on that. I can however take into account cases that I think were handled poorly, investigate them further, then if they're found of wrongdoing warn them not to continue such actions. I will list some people that I would investigate:
Vekter for their claim that they've been punishing players for something that was expressly allowed according to headmin precedent, then PAS and FlorenOtten for claiming that they would do the same.
NecromancerAnne and Krusvik for poor interpretations of the rules.

But to be clear, I would not want to start a witch hunt or crusade against admins just because the shoe is on the other foot - as I assume most people believe I would. I believe the poor judgements have occurred due to a lack of solid policy or precedent, and that is something I've pledged to try and improve. I believe the majority of our administrators are more than capable of adapting to such changes if they occur.

Spoiler:

peoplearestrange

Postby peoplearestrange » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm #545633

deedubya wrote:My FNR post approval was due to me attempting to use my knowledge of rules and precedent to arbitrate on other people's cases in situations where I felt they were not being treated fairly. Always, I attempted to take all posted evidence into account while doing so while providing a neutral take. As it's become increasingly apparent, it appears that me doing so as a player was not welcome. As a headmin, it would be required of me to arbitrate such cases. It's actually one of my campaign promises to do so, as a matter of fact. I will admit, that perhaps 1-3 of those deleted posts were not up to proper standard, but those were in the past and I have since learned from them. Lord knows one of our current headmins has made mistakes arbitrating on appeals and still not learned a thing from them.

Just a note that your posts were not deleted because you were a player, were you an admin they would have also been deleted.
The issue was meant to highlight was that you couldn't obey the peanut posting forum rules. My question was more surrounding the implication that if you could not follow the rules why should you be allowed to enforce them? Sorry if this wasn't clear.
Whatever
Spoiler:

Saegrimr wrote:

IM TRYING

Kor wrote:

Are you having a stroke

I'm a box

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Postby PKPenguin321 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10 pm #545650

deedubya wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:Can you comment on your FNR post approval?

My FNR post approval was due to me attempting to use my knowledge of rules and precedent to arbitrate on other people's cases in situations where I felt they were not being treated fairly. Always, I attempted to take all posted evidence into account while doing so while providing a neutral take. As it's become increasingly apparent, it appears that me doing so as a player was not welcome. As a headmin, it would be required of me to arbitrate such cases. It's actually one of my campaign promises to do so, as a matter of fact. I will admit, that perhaps 1-3 of those deleted posts were not up to proper standard, but those were in the past and I have since learned from them. Lord knows one of our current headmins has made mistakes arbitrating on appeals and still not learned a thing from them.

today i will remind them
Spoiler:

Armhulen
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Postby Armhulen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 pm #545651

I mean to be fair once you become head admin yes your opinions would become precedent and thus couldn't be deleted.
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:54 am #545714

peoplearestrange wrote:Just a note that your posts were not deleted because you were a player, were you an admin they would have also been deleted.
The issue was meant to highlight was that you couldn't obey the peanut posting forum rules. My question was more surrounding the implication that if you could not follow the rules why should you be allowed to enforce them? Sorry if this wasn't clear.

This is where we just disagree on the matter. I have sufficient reason to believe that nearly every post I've made was fully compliant with the rules - evidence that I've posted about in the past. I fully believe that if anyone besides me(or goof, shezza, jmad, etc) had made those posts, they'd have remained.

Further, it wouldn't matter much if I was a headmin. Part of my platform is a more active involvement in FNR as a whole. If anything, my knowledge of the rules, willingness to search for and cite precedent, and arbitrate on cases should be seen as a positive in that respect.

Spoiler:

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Postby PKPenguin321 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:49 am #545736

deedubya wrote:I fully believe that if anyone besides me had made those posts, they'd have remained.

this is deranged
Spoiler:

FloranOtten
In-Game Admin

Postby FloranOtten » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:01 pm #545817

Just butting in here to post every deleted post he's made, judge for yourself.

Give me feedback!

Qbopper
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:51 pm #545833

FloranOtten wrote:Just butting in here to post every deleted post he's made, judge for yourself.

Are... are you even supposed to show deleted posts
Limey wrote:its too late.

Darkgenerallord
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Darkgenerallord

Postby Darkgenerallord » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:21 pm #545836

there's nothing about it as far as I can tell

iksyp

Byond Username: Iksyp

Postby iksyp » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:06 pm #545841

why should i vote for you when your tagline is as uninspired as "make x great again"
ignore this poster he has brain damage

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Vekter

Postby Vekter » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:37 am #546017

Deedubya wrote:Vekter for their claim that they've been punishing players for something that was expressly allowed according to headmin precedent

ok boomer

No, really, if you're going into this with the mindset of deadminning me, why should I vote for you?
Last edited by Vekter on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you

FloranOtten
In-Game Admin

Postby FloranOtten » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:42 am #546020

Out of curiousity, what do you mean by investigate? With NecromancerAnne and Krusvik, are you planning on checking every ban they have ever made? With me, what exactly are you investigating?

Give me feedback!

lmwevil

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:46 am #546021

goof vote but not goof:tm:

please sum up for my low iq banbot brain why i should vote for you in exactly 8 words

NecromancerAnne

Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Postby NecromancerAnne » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm #546211

Is the only reason you're actually running for headmin due to a absolutely insane grudge against me personally over a dayban? Do you have actual goals outside of the this delusional pursuit of vengeance?

How the fuck are you going to kill me through a triumverate made up of potentially two other people who don't share your vitriolic perspective on administration or my place in it?

Am I gonna get Rustledjimm'd, but like, the reverse?

peoplearestrange

Postby peoplearestrange » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:52 pm #546213

deedubya wrote: will list some people that I would investigate:
Vekter for their claim that they've been punishing players for something that was expressly allowed according to headmin precedent, then PAS and FlorenOtten for claiming that they would do the same.
NecromancerAnne and Krusvik for poor interpretations of the rules.

But to be clear, I would not want to start a witch hunt or crusade against admins just because the shoe is on the other foot - as I assume most people believe I would. I believe the poor judgements have occurred due to a lack of solid policy or precedent, and that is something I've pledged to try and improve. I believe the majority of our administrators are more than capable of adapting to such changes if they occur.

You say you wouldn't start a which hunt, but by investigating people that have, from what I can see, either slighted you, disagreed with you or generally there seems to be some tension, it really seems to look like some sort of vendetta.
I believe I only mentioned that I thought the ban Vekter placed, given all the information, was agreeable. But I can't find the thread in which this was talked about. Though, again, I don't believe that its about that and more about you consider me a foe in some form?
Whatever
Spoiler:

Saegrimr wrote:

IM TRYING

Kor wrote:

Are you having a stroke

I'm a box

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:15 pm.
Reason: no
View this post

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Postby deedubya » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:56 am #546272

Apologies for the late response, I've been fighting off a nasty flu for the past few days.

To answer the various responses to my "who would you deadmin" answer: For everyone aside from Vekter, I would keep a closer eye on their future interactions/bans with people. I'm not in the business of acting upon things that were permissible under a previous administration or ruleset, and I'm not in the business of disciplining someone for something they say they're going to do(especially when posted in a shitposting forum) until they actually do them. In the case of Vekter, I'd look into all previous bans they made, and verify to see if their claim that they've been blatantly disregarding rules and precedent to enforce their own personal beliefs was true. If true, then I'd discuss with the other headmins on how to proceed. But I should be clear: I don't believe that anyone that anyone that violates the trust people have in the administration to enforce the letter and spirit of the law should remain as an admin. Especially anyone who so brazenly admits - with pride - that they're doing so.

Vekter wrote:why should I vote for you?

You already weren't going to vote for me in the first place. I have no desire to promise pardon to someone who brags about abusing their position - just for a potential vote.

iksyp wrote:why should i vote for you when your tagline is as uninspired as "make x great again"

lmwevil wrote:please sum up for my low iq banbot brain why i should vote for you in exactly 8 words

Because there are currently no better options running.

Spoiler:

NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NoxVS

Postby NoxVS » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 am #546274

deedubya wrote:
Vekter wrote:why should I vote for you?

You already weren't going to vote for me in the first place. I have no desire to promise pardon to someone who brags about abusing their position - just for a potential vote.

Thats a pretty big claim. Sorry if you have already said this elsewhere but do you have anything to back it up?

Next

Return to Archived/Deleted