[Deleted] Angelstarri - The 2020 Player Vote Champion

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

angelstarri

Byond Username: Angelstarri

Angelstarri - The 2020 Player Vote Champion

Postby angelstarri » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:30 am #545463

Candidate Background

Hello everyone! My name is Angelstarri. I am 22 years old and I play the character of Pepper Oni in the /tg/station server. I also sometimes like to play as Smee Maimen the Security Officer and Pizza Retard, the Clown when I have the chance. I've played a little over 2250 rounds during my stay in the server and have spent 76620 minutes in-game as a live player for the game. I am a responsible person. Every day I am responsible for the lives of hundreds of people and take my jobs and obligations very seriously. But I also like to take it easy every now and then, messing about with friends, being goofy every now and then whilst liking to integrate new people into my social circle.

I started playing Space Station 13 on the /vg/station server in 2015 but transitioned to /tg/ in 2017. I've had a happy and smooth ride throughout my stay in the community. I've had nice encounters, met some people I consider friends and have learned quite a lot throughout the time I've spent on /tg/ with characters such as Amanda Robinson, Cann Crusher and Felix Firebrand.

During my time in /tg/station I've had a few rocky moments where I've found myself on the wrong end of the stick of administrative rulings. I am not afraid to admit it, and I'm open to saying that I've got a good quantity of negative notes and a few bans from the server, the longest duration of which was four days for bombing a dead blob. I don't have any harsh or hard feelings on these decisions as I feel like it goes to show the professionalism of the administrative team - I've never had an experience where I've felt like I was unilaterally punished for something. Administrators are human like all of us at the end of the day, and I like to sympathize with and respect every single one of them for all the effort they put into both the game and the community as a whole.

Campaign

As a general introduction, my campaign is based on being a representative of the player base as a whole for the head administrator team. I know that the mere thought of it sounds cliche, but I believe that a player being part of the team can offer brand new perspectives onto the big decisions to be made, as well as offer new ideas to the table that might be not brought up otherwise.

Bagil, Sybil and Terry

As a core Bagil player and every now and then a player of both Sybil and Terry, I believe that these servers form the core gameplay aspect of the game as it was designed. Players have the freedom to do whatever they want with certain restrictions to not ruin other people's fun. With the introduction of Manuel this has been developed further, allowing players to play as any character they wish. Do you want to play as Kanye West, the Chaplain who believes the Spaghetti monster is real? These servers should allow you to do that. A lesser standard of roleplay is to be enforced in these, allowing specific and newer scenarios to be experienced by the players. That being said...

Manuel

I originally did not take the idea behind Manuel seriously. I believed the chosen standard of roleplay of medium roleplay was a sort of baby step for the community to get used to a heavier one. It took me a few days to fully realize that the chosen standard was actually perfect for the community - something which allows for people to play and give depth to their characters, but also accepts the goofy reality of the Space Station 13 universe and allows for comedic and interesting actions to be taken so long as others are okay with it. As a candidate, I would like to reform the roleplaying rules to properly set the standard in stone, giving examples of what is okay and what isn't to give players a guideline on what to expect on the server.

Additionally, I would also like to establish server-specific notes and bans for Manuel and any other roleplaying servers that the community may have in the future. The reasoning for this is that separate standards require separate rules and separate judgments. For example, playing as Adolf Hitler in any of the non-roleplaying servers usually means a talking to, a note, a name change or a hilarious intervention from administrators to send Adolf back in time. For Manuel, in exchange, this should almost always result in an immediate name change and a talking to. Additionally, I would also like to explore and get to agreements with the administrative team on how to solve the problem of the thin-line between LRP and MRP, receiving ideas and working together cohesively to apply a more accessible, understandable and open system for the players to know.

Escalation

Escalation has always been a hot topic around head administrator topics and a long promise for campaigns since two terms ago. I, as a player, actually do not have any problems with Escalation policy as it is and believe that is the best solution we can possibly have to the community's standards. That being said, if I were head admin I would like to run several polls to both the player base and the administrative team to research a general idea of what they feel like is right and wrong with the current escalation policy, publish the results of said research and make conclusions based on the results. I am a complete believer in democratic voting and I believe this is the best solution to the problem which affects a certain number of the player base, but not all.

Events and Event Workshop

I feel like Space Station 13 can be monotonous at times if the people behind the show -antagonists- aren't making the round fun for the rest of the crew. Sure, random events can spice things up and give everyone something to do every now and then, but I think the most fun of all is had when administrative staff intervene and give players the ability to be a larger part of the round than they otherwise would be. As a candidate, I would like to expand the current role of the Event Workshop, which is currently used only for 'i dead' posts, by reviving the #events-workshop channel in Discord and allowing players to submit ideas on events they would like to see. Additionally, I would like to encourage administrators and staff members to run more low level and medium level interactions with server players as these tend to be some of the most simple and memorable.

Admin Pipeline Issue

As many might now right now, there is a current problem with the administrative team and administrative trainers to bring up new administrators to the team. I feel like this problem is due to the lack of a number of trainers for the level of players that the community has at the moment. As a candidate, I would like to poll current and former admin trainers to get their take on the current problem, current, and former trial administrators to get their opinion on the process and work for a solution that might involve the reworking of the administrator application system, which is only known by players pertaining to the forum and not even all at that, and make the path to become an administrator more clear to the general player base.

Dynamic

Dynamic, I believe, is one of the best game modes that has made it in the codebase right now. It holds a candle to replacing the secret as the base for the game, and I would like as a candidate to poll for interest to make it so with caveats to make it more tolerable for all audiences. For example - wizard summon events would probably be under scrutiny as it's a very contested spell. I would also like to poll interest to add additional objectives to nuclear operatives other than destroying up the station with a nuclear device and give them a wider role to play whilst not making them an immediate round ending antagonist. I absolutely love the change to the revolution game mode where the shift doesn't end when all rev heads are killed, and I think that is the way to go with current dynamic to make rounds longer and allow for more interesting experiences.

Final Notes

I would like to conclude this thread by thanking everyone who I've met in /tg/station. All the experiences I've had, either positive or negative, have shaped me to the point where I believe I would like to take the next step and contribute to the community in a position where I can take input from the general public and transform it into improvements for the future. I would also like to thank oranges for encouraging me in private to make a serious campaign thread. Thank you all for reading, and I hope to be a good candidate for all of you!
Code: Select all
I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.

Tarchonvaagh

Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Re: Angelstarri - The 2020 Player Vote Champion

Postby Tarchonvaagh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:15 am #545497

Do you have any administrative experience
"You cannot defeat what lives on in the heart, and soul, of every TG player" - Birdboat
Leave thought-provoking posts at my thread!

NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NoxVS

Postby NoxVS » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:46 pm #545527

angelstarri wrote:As a general introduction, my campaign is based on being a representative of the player base as a whole for the head administrator team. I know that the mere thought of it sounds cliche, but I believe that a player being part of the team can offer brand new perspectives onto the big decisions to be made, as well as offer new ideas to the table that might be not brought up otherwise.

Would you be able and willing to represent the community against yourself? For example, I have seen many players on Manuel who have been vocal about your behavior there and wishing that your play style would be banned.
If the community said that they did not want your play style allowed, would you listen?

angelstarri

Byond Username: Angelstarri

Postby angelstarri » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:05 am #545716

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Do you have any administrative experience

Professionally speaking, I was an administrator for a tech company that handled internet and phone cabling on a regional level. I've also been part of several management teams on real-world communities in the fields of aviation, workspaces and other hobbies of mine. In the digital world, I've been the founder, administrator, and server manager of many gaming communities in the past, including but not limited to ArmA III (ask Coconut about it), Elite Dangerous, PAYDAY 2, Planetside 2 and Rainbow Six Siege. I'm a team player (have to be due to my choice of profession) and I love getting everyone's two cents before making decisions.

NoxVS wrote:Would you be able and willing to represent the community against yourself? For example, I have seen many players on Manuel who have been vocal about your behavior there and wishing that your play style would be banned.
If the community said that they did not want your play style allowed, would you listen?

I am aware that there was certain adversity to my arrival on Manuel from other players mainly because of my heavy involvement in the Bagil server. I've tried to meet these criticisms by trying to perform and adjust myself to the server's and its roleplaying rules more appropriately -which has apparently been greatly received by the server's players. I've been well congratulated by both the players of said server and at least one administrator that usually plays in Manuel- whilst at the same time trying to flesh out a better character and a better line of interaction for others with Pepper Oni. I hope that answers your first question.

In the manner of the second, yes. I am aware that /tg/station is very diverse in the manner of opinions on several topics of importance, but as a head administrator candidate I would like to poll for interest on what to do with the server itself. There is a current underlying problem being that the administrators of the server usually can't act on certain things due to the globality of bans and notes and that sometimes there's no clear line of precedent on what to do for a situation. I would like to change that by, as mentioned in my campaign, performing research on what the best solution would be, consult with my fellow head administrators on what solution to take, and execute it to improve the experiences offered by the Manuel server as well as provide administrators with a better platform to act on players who like to toe the line.
Code: Select all
I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.

Return to Archived/Deleted