[Deleted] Phuzzylodgik - Your Host Vote Headmin

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Phuzzylodgik - Your Host Vote Headmin

Postby capn_monkeypaw » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:51 pm #546313

MSO, Plap, Hulk & Karp have done me the honor of asking me to be your host vote headmin for the upcoming term.

For those who are unfamiliar with me, which I would suspect is most of you, allow me to introduce myself:

I've been playing on /tg/ since 2016 and became an admin in the immediate wake of the Ssethtide in early April of last year.

Most of my ~1500 hours of playtime prior to becoming an admin was spent in cozy rounds on Sybil, working alongside a tight-knit group of players that rarely, if ever, required admin intervention. I can only recall sending a single ahelp (for the single most shitty act of grief I have ever seen) during all of that time. As a general rule, inter-player conflicts were handled IC, almost as a matter of honor.

99% of the time I've spent as an admin, however, has been spent knee-deep in hubbies on the Events Hall with my banhammer set to fully-automatic. As such, I am not a creative, event-slinging admin. I focus on consistent, fair and - most important - judicious rule enforcement. I give a great deal of thought to fostering an environment that allows new players to acclimate to our culture and develop into fun, creative and contributing members of our community.

Because of this dichotomy, I like to think that I will bring a unique perspective to the incoming headmin team.

As I did not campaign, I do not have a platform. My only promise is this: Over the next six months I will endeavor to provide this community with consistent, thoughtful and responsive leadership. I plan to focus primarily on day-to-day administrative tasks and will do my best to see that issues are addressed promptly.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Phuzzylodgik - Your Host Vote Headmin

Postby Vekter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 pm #546316

Shit, I trust you.

Two questions:

1) Manuel has been an interesting place to admin, but even I'm having some issues with some of the RP rules. Will there be made an attempt to get a few more manuel-specific admins in the future?

2) How do you feel about our current policy on harassment and hate speech?

Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you

skoglol
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Postby skoglol » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:34 pm #546326

Good choice, you'll do great!

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Postby Arianya » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:04 pm #546329

First of all, congratulations on your win.

Secondly, do you feel as though your time in Megacity One Event Hall will lead you to holding particular views regarding the rules and their enforcement?

Spoiler:
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

peoplearestrange

Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Postby peoplearestrange » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:26 pm #546356

Honestly one of the few people I both trust their opinion and would also reach out to if I had a problem. Generally cool calm and collected.
I'm genuinely please they were chosen as a head.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...

Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

Jimmius
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Jimmius

Postby Jimmius » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 pm #546363

We were trialmins together and both decided to admin the event hall. I went insane but he only became more powerful. That is why I can say with confidence that he will be the best headmin of all time

Tarchonvaagh

Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Postby Tarchonvaagh » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:39 am #546438

Congratulations!
Also... ?
"You cannot defeat what lives on in the heart, and soul, of every TG player" - Birdboat
Leave thought-provoking posts at my thread!

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Postby capn_monkeypaw » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 pm #546608

Vekter wrote:1) Manuel has been an interesting place to admin, but even I'm having some issues with some of the RP rules. Will there be made an attempt to get a few more manuel-specific admins in the future?

I don't see why not. I'm sure the admins that main Manuel can rustle up a couple of promising candidates.

Vekter wrote:2) How do you feel about our current policy on harassment and hate speech?

On paper, I think it's about as even-handed as it could be right now.

I'm a strong believer in the principles of free speech and a fanatical supporter of the 1st amendment to the United States constitution. My closely held belief is that governments shouldn't be empowered to regulate speech.

That being said: this a spessman simulator, not a spess klansman simulator.

My policy is more or less this: I'm not going to kick you from the server for using a repugnant slur a couple of times in IC chat, but I do reserve the right to smite your character with brain damage if you've been flooding comms with the gamer word just because you can. If you're screaming about an ethnic or religious group in OOC, I'm turning that shit off. We're here to play a atmospherics simulator game; nobody wants to hear your bullshit.

As for harassment, allow me to be clear: if you're harassing another player or staff member, we're showing you the fucking door.

Don't forget your hat.

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Postby capn_monkeypaw » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:40 pm #546738

Arianya wrote:First of all, congratulations on your win.

Secondly, do you feel as though your time in Megacity One Event Hall will lead you to holding particular views regarding the rules and their enforcement?

Spoiler:

Yes, my time on Events has definitely changed how I view rule enforcement. I've become a big believer in enforcing these minimum standards:

Naming policy is important.
Malicious and careless intentional incidents of IC in OOC should always receive a note.

Worrying about these sorts of things seems silly and unnecessarily uptight to the experienced player - I certainly felt that way a year ago - but I've come to believe that they are very important when half of a server's 80 players are newbies off of the Byond hub. Broken Windows Theory is a dogshit way to run a city but it's not a bad way to run a public-facing server, particularly when that server might not see a consistent level of administrative staffing. When you tightly enforce these minimum standards, players understand that someone is actually watching and that the rules actually matter. In my experience, it is the best way to develop a self-policing player culture that keeps others from ruining the fun for everyone.

But when it comes to inter-player conflict or anything involving nuanced judgement calls, I still generally believe that a light touch is best.

If someone is griefing or simply sowing chaos for its own sake, booting 'em makes sense. Bans are also often useful for convincing new players that "no really, you can't RDM here."

But when two experienced players get irritated with each other and wind up stepping over the line in tandem, you'll often see better dividends from separating the two and giving them a chance to cool down than you will from applying bans. We shouldn't apply bans simply because we can, we should ban people when it serves a purpose.

As always, it comes down to admin discretion and (hopefully) a sense of judgement that improves with experience.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Postby Arianya » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:45 pm #546739

capn_monkeypaw wrote:
Arianya wrote:First of all, congratulations on your win.

Spoiler:

Yes, my time on Events has definitely changed how I view rule enforcement. I've become a big believer in enforcing these minimum standards:

Naming policy is important.
Malicious and careless intentional incidents of IC in OOC should always receive a note.

Worrying about these sorts of things seems silly and unnecessarily uptight to the experienced player - I certainly felt that way a year ago - but I've come to believe that they are very important when half of a server's 80 players are newbies off of the Byond hub. Broken Windows Theory is a dogshit way to run a city but it's not a bad way to run a public-facing server, particularly when that server might not see a consistent level of administrative staffing. When you tightly enforce these minimum standards, players understand that someone is actually watching and that the rules actually matter. In my experience, it is the best way to develop a self-policing player culture that keeps others from ruining the fun for everyone.

But when it comes to inter-player conflict or anything involving nuanced judgement calls, I still generally believe that a light touch is best.

If someone is griefing or simply sowing chaos for its own sake, booting 'em makes sense. Bans are also often useful for convincing new players that "no really, you can't RDM here."

But when two experienced players get irritated with each other and wind up stepping over the line in tandem, you'll often see better dividends from separating the two and giving them a chance to cool down than you will from applying bans. We shouldn't apply bans simply because we can, we should ban people when it serves a purpose.

As always, it comes down to admin discretion and (hopefully) a sense of judgement that improves with experience.

Given the call from some quarters to have more, or even all, of our servers be hub facing, do you think that enforcement style needs to be pushed on any of our /tg/ servers that are hub facing?

And a secondary question, do you worry that between the Hub-facing server(s), the "normal" servers and Manuel, there is a risk of culture drift which leads to inconsistency in rulings and expectations?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

XivilaiAnaxes

Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 am #546856

Based headmin pick

Timonk

Byond Username: Timonk

Postby Timonk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:35 am #546857

"protecting jannies is my job, fear me!"
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel

Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Postby capn_monkeypaw » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:22 pm #546883

Timonk wrote:"protecting jannies is my job, fear me!"

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: Deedubya

Postby deedubya » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:54 am #546936

Not someone I expected, or have even really heard much of. Probably means that they've been doing a pretty good job and haven't kicked up much dirt.

That being said, you're mostly working on a promise of "status quo" and more background work. Do you have any fears that you might be seen as/actually turn into the "afk headmin" that people dislike so much?
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Postby capn_monkeypaw » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 pm #547008

deedubya wrote:Not someone I expected, or have even really heard much of. Probably means that they've been doing a pretty good job and haven't kicked up much dirt.

That being said, you're mostly working on a promise of "status quo" and more background work. Do you have any fears that you might be seen as/actually turn into the "afk headmin" that people dislike so much?

Not particularly. I think the consistent work I've put in over the past year speaks for itself.

Return to Archived/Deleted