Moderator: Board Moderators

JamalGinsberg

Byond Username: Jamal Ginsberg

Botany rework feedback

Postby JamalGinsberg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:41 am #553084

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... b519c7e2b4
Here's a quote:
"Why It's Good For The Game... Genefreak maxed out stats plants are dead."
You might as well remove botany now, because it will have the same effect as this update, since no one is going to play it after they figure out that for a longer and more tiresome process you won't be able to make anything useful or fun anymore (from my experimenting at least, you can't remove unnecessary chems and add useful chems from other plants, only traits)
Why does mutating a plant now take 30 minutes, if 80% of the rounds end before the 30 minute mark? Just make mutating instant and guaranteed, no one wants to sit next to a virtual plant and watch it for 30 minutes and then the game ends, if you can call that a game, the weed, pests and nutriment changes were good, keep that, and add back the DNA manipulator, that was the reason people played botany.
I thought this would be redeemable at least now that we have the instability change, we would be able to get random chemicals and traits like with strange seeds, here's my experience: I had 6 corn stalks with 90 instability for 10 minutes, one of them mutated perennial growth, no new chemicals, that's it, very impressive, very useful.
Also your plant grafts are fucking invisible
Attachments
botany protest.PNG

Arcanemusic

Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Re: Botany rework feedback

Postby Arcanemusic » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:19 am #553091

First off, really appreciate how every thread as an active death threat in it, very cool-headed of you.
Point by point, let's break this down.
Mutating plants had a bug in it due to a small oversight in the code, which I adjusted about 2 hours ago as of writing this, so my apologies that it slipped through the cracks.
Second, if the only reason you rolled botany was to use the DNA manipulator, then you'll find that there's now the gameplay loop rewards a bit more foresight and planning into how you want to setup your plants. Breeding in and breeding out specific plant traits takes more trial and error, in a similar vein to virology.

As for instability, and invisible plant grafts, that was similarly fixed in that aforementioned PR 2 hours ago. I'll link it here for you. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/50381

That said, dude, calm down. I'm listening to all the feedback I'm getting, and I don't have a stick so far up my ass that I have brain damage.

JamalGinsberg

Byond Username: Jamal Ginsberg

Re: Botany rework feedback

Postby JamalGinsberg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:29 am #553093

Arcanemusic wrote:First off, really appreciate how every thread as an active death threat in it, very cool-headed of you.
Point by point, let's break this down.
Mutating plants had a bug in it due to a small oversight in the code, which I adjusted about 2 hours ago as of writing this, so my apologies that it slipped through the cracks.
Second, if the only reason you rolled botany was to use the DNA manipulator, then you'll find that there's now the gameplay loop rewards a bit more foresight and planning into how you want to setup your plants. Breeding in and breeding out specific plant traits takes more trial and error, in a similar vein to virology.

As for instability, and invisible plant grafts, that was similarly fixed in that aforementioned PR 2 hours ago. I'll link it here for you. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/50381

That said, dude, calm down. I'm listening to all the feedback I'm getting, and I don't have a stick so far up my ass that I have brain damage.

It doesn't matter what you think is more rewarding, for the 5-6 rounds I've been experimenting, every single botanist I played with thought the removal of the DNA manipulator was a mistake or a bug, "how could they possibly do it?", then when they realized this was actually intended, they tried out the new system, and concluded it's hot garbage and that they're not going to play botanist again until something is changed, can you even insert and remove chemicals in plants now?

Return to Archived/Deleted