Mothblocks - Jaredfogle - Mothblockification

Resolved.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Mothblocks - Jaredfogle - Mothblockification

Post by Mothblocks » #611437

Mothblocks

From an outside perspective, the most important part of being a headmin is the following:

1. Responding to policy discussion threads. Since February, over 50 have been made.
2. Responding to escalated ban appeal threads. Since February, nearly 30 ban appeals have been resolved by head admins.
3. Responding to admin complaints. Since February, over 10 have been made.
4. Accepting new admins. Since February, we've had nearly 20 new trial admins.
5. Being a leader amongst a large, diverse, opinionated admin team.

While head admins have a lot of other responsibilities too, such as being able to tweak config values, the most consistent aspect is generally things out of your control. You don't decide what policies people think need discussing for instance, but you do decide the outcome. Your ability to bring fresh ideas to the table is not nearly as important to the day-to-day as your personal character.

All this is to say that I know that I am fit for the task.

I actively help with complicated tickets both in game, by handling them directly, and outside of it when other admins ask for assistance. I've been consistently active in public policy discussions, most notably in any discussions about Dynamic and its consequences. Ever since my recent promotion to admin trainer, I've helped admin candidates walk through procedure. Even as a maintainer, I am presented with previously untreaded design challenges every day, and make smart decisions of how to answer them, both through invested understanding of all facets of the game and community, as well as a clear understanding of data analysis.

I'm capable of leading admins both new and seasoned. I present an authoritative voice--I listen while also making sure that I am heard.

...but while we're here...

1. I'd like to continue working on Dynamic. Server specific dynamic values are tweaked through configuration, and so I need head admin approval in order to mess with them.
2. I'm going to put a lot of work into looking at the policy of post-revolution feedback, after seeing confusion from players and admins alike. I recently put up the poll for this a bit ago after talking to the current term about it.
3. Any talk about splitting MRP and LRP is silly and would do measurable harm to everyone who has put work into it. The community seem happy, and current admins seem to be comfortable with the current rules and precedent.
4. I will be reliable with regards to updating the server and applying test merges, which I've effectively done in the past.
5. I'd like to increase the IC filter to support a lot of stuff it doesn't right now, such as "antag" etc.
6. I'm interested in enabling the gateway for Sybil and Terry, and working with the mapping team to create new exciting missions.
7. I want to lower the volume on all the jukebox stuff, and compress it if it isn't already, since I suspect that's why it freezes the first time people use it.

Headmins are also responsible for tailoring the server configs as needed, but realistically the coding team already tailors default config values around what would be used on our live servers, and for the ones that need to be adjusted from stock, we typically go with whatever the person who coded the config value suggests anyway. As an active maintainer (and one who is already entrusted with setting the live dynamic configs, as I was the one who coded those systems), I can streamline this process and bridge the gap between our codebase and policy directions in ways other candidates cannot.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Re: Mothblocks - Jaredfogle - Mothblockification

Post by Fikou » #611741

this guy is great and friendly and responsive and acts good and fucked your mother
vote for him he'll do great!!
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #611743

+rep

Tgstation, please elect this guy!
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #611746

How would being a headmin influence on the following?: 6. I'm interested in enabling the gateway for Sybil, and working with the mapping team to create new exciting missions. / 7. I want to lower the volume on all the jukebox stuff, and compress it if it isn't already, since I suspect that's why it freezes the first time people use it.

“I'm capable of leading admins both new and seasoned. I present an authoritative voice--I listen while also making sure that I am heard.”

What makes you consider yourself a leader at present time? I like the confidence, and would like to hear your thoughts further.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611766

MortoSasye wrote:How would being a headmin influence on the following?: 6. I'm interested in enabling the gateway for Sybil, and working with the mapping team to create new exciting missions. / 7. I want to lower the volume on all the jukebox stuff, and compress it if it isn't already, since I suspect that's why it freezes the first time people use it.
Glad you asked--they're configs.

For the gateway, Bagil has gateway enabled, Sybil does not, and I've been told Terry does not either. Gateway is both a config to be enabled as well as something we have a folder for admins to update on. As for getting new missions, I've already talked with Inept (our maptainer) and he said he is on board with working on new missions.
MortoSasye wrote: “I'm capable of leading admins both new and seasoned. I present an authoritative voice--I listen while also making sure that I am heard.”

What makes you consider yourself a leader at present time? I like the confidence, and would like to hear your thoughts further.
Sure!

The best showing of this is my maintainer activity. I am effectively hands down the most active maintainer when it comes to code review, but I am also very active in most discussions about design that take place, and am one of the most frequent people giving direction in the coding general Discord chat. When these conversations come up, I am thorough about what I believe, while also giving room for others to express their ideas. A recent example is circuits, where I took full charge and led the design, but regularly discuss concerns with the design with the person who actually implemented them.

To mix this with the administrative side, the most recent example of this that I can think of is post-revolutions winning, a design I implemented and pushed forward. During this time, I worked actively with the head admins to get a policy we all agreed on, giving detailed explanations about my beliefs and showed willingness to adjust in policy bus. The head admins knew my stances, but also knew I was open to improvements. Even more recently, NamelessFairy has reopened this discussion, and I've been working with them actively to get something we both agree on. I present an authoritative voice in that I've made it clear my boundaries, but I actively listen to concerns they bring up, and am willing to give their solutions a shot.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611769

why did you choose to name yourself after a convicted pedophile
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #611771

Thanks for your reply! Another top pick
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #611772

Mothblocks is absolutely my #1 choice for headmin. Not only are they very personable, experienced in admin matters, and great at communication, but I've long held that it's been far too long since we had a maintainer headmin. Having had the privilege of serving my term with 2 maintainer headmins (leoz and kor), having that level of connection between the admin and maintainer teams is a massive boon for admin/coder relations, plus we benefit from mothblocks' ability to coordinate both code and policy solutions in response to situations in game that wouldn't be feasible otherwise.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #611808

Shaps-cloud wrote:Mothblocks is absolutely my #1 choice for headmin. Not only are they very personable, experienced in admin matters, and great at communication, but I've long held that it's been far too long since we had a maintainer headmin. Having had the privilege of serving my term with 2 maintainer headmins (leoz and kor), having that level of connection between the admin and maintainer teams is a massive boon for admin/coder relations, plus we benefit from mothblocks' ability to coordinate both code and policy solutions in response to situations in game that wouldn't be feasible otherwise.
To play devil's advocate, I had the displeasure of sharing my term with a maintainer-headmin who was secretly abusing their powers under the table to essentially harass a contributor to the codebase who I quite liked into quitting. I do not believe that a maintainer-headmin is inherently more valuable than a regular one (they can't just incorporate policy changes into code because every other maintainer will block them, and they little to no reason to use code to shape policy when they can just shape the policy directly as a headmin), and in fact having one takes on more risk than not.

That said, I trust Shaps's judgement, and mothblocks seems okay from the very few interactions we've had.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #611817

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:Mothblocks is absolutely my #1 choice for headmin. Not only are they very personable, experienced in admin matters, and great at communication, but I've long held that it's been far too long since we had a maintainer headmin. Having had the privilege of serving my term with 2 maintainer headmins (leoz and kor), having that level of connection between the admin and maintainer teams is a massive boon for admin/coder relations, plus we benefit from mothblocks' ability to coordinate both code and policy solutions in response to situations in game that wouldn't be feasible otherwise.
To play devil's advocate, I had the displeasure of sharing my term with a maintainer-headmin who was secretly abusing their powers under the table to essentially harass a contributor to the codebase who I quite liked into quitting. I do not believe that a maintainer-headmin is inherently more valuable than a regular one (they can't just incorporate policy changes into code because every other maintainer will block them, and they little to no reason to use code to shape policy when they can just shape the policy directly as a headmin), and in fact having one takes on more risk than not.

That said, I trust Shaps's judgement, and mothblocks seems okay from the very few interactions we've had.
There were a number of warning signs with Joan's behavior that should have tipped people off that they were entirely checked out from their duties to both the admin team and the headmin team, and their ban came down to how they misused their admin powers rather than how they abused their code powers, which could be said for anyone. Unlike Joan, Mothblocks has shown significant initiative in building up more structure and better code for the community, and is even actively improving our logging and accountability.

I agree with your spirit and am definitely glad the Joan fiasco wasn't as bad as it could've been, but I wanted to provide that extra context for those who weren't around for it
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611862

Mothblocks wrote:6. I'm interested in enabling the gateway for Sybil and Terry, and working with the mapping team to create new exciting missions.
This would be a big deal and spice up a ton of rounds, so I would really love to see this.
Mothblocks wrote:2. I'm going to put a lot of work into looking at the policy of post-revolution feedback, after seeing confusion from players and admins alike. I recently put up the poll for this a bit ago after talking to the current term about it.
Do you believe that post-revs have had all these complications with respect to policy because of the rework that causes the round to no longer end after all heads are dead? I do not want to stray too far into codebase matters but the glaring issue behind all the rev policy is the fact that revs and normal crew become indistinguishable after the heads-of-staff have died, and security is then left in a weird place because, despite not being heads of staff, and despite the "mutiny being quelled," sec is valid for former revs who can still act in a revolutionary capacity.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611877

sinfulbliss wrote: Do you believe that post-revs have had all these complications with respect to policy because of the rework that causes the round to no longer end after all heads are dead? I do not want to stray too far into codebase matters but the glaring issue behind all the rev policy is the fact that revs and normal crew become indistinguishable after the heads-of-staff have died, and security is then left in a weird place because, despite not being heads of staff, and despite the "mutiny being quelled," sec is valid for former revs who can still act in a revolutionary capacity.
I think it's uncharted territory for sure, but I'm not yet convinced it's an unsalvageable mechanic. The poll that's up right now is meant to help determine the path going forward.

Is it that the people who know who's valid at what point understand the policy, but people who don't know are the ones confused? If so, then it's possible the solution is just to throw in a message detailing what you can and can't do.

Is it that people who don't know who's valid aren't confused? Then it might be that what they think is the policy is perhaps what we should actually gear towards.

The problem is definitely sourced from this being the first time antags are still around, but I haven't yet seen proof it's a cursed idea.

Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #611946

You're one of the few reasons I still like coming to this server. You know how to deal with difficult people (like me) in a respectable way and manage to stay agreeable while still standing your ground. I feel like none of the admins and coders match you in this. I'm real curious what you will do with the configs to make this game better.
Mooshimi
Byond Username: Mooshimi

Post by Mooshimi » #611968

5. I'd like to increase the IC filter to support a lot of stuff it doesn't right now, such as "antag" etc.

I think this is a very simple(?) thing that many could have done in the past but haven't thought of, and that shows great freshness of thought!

On another note, do you think the answer to after revs end be a station-wide pacifist trait? It would somewhat make sense, as the flavor text is similar to "The thought of violence disgusts you!" and normally in a revolution there is a lot of blood. At least to me it does? With some flavor text added when the revolution ends probably.
iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Post by iansdoor » #611971

Howdy, I am going to be honest. I am not a real fan of you. I feel that your actions and opinions on coderbus/policybus are much of coming dictatorship. They really aren't thinking of health of the game and instead, taking out what unique path ways a game takes in that place something that isn't there or just generally lacking intrigue.

I would reconsider if you had plans to either finish what you started with circuits that you pushed for to replace nanites, or in all seriousness, a basic. guide to use circuits with several examples of how to manipulate them into intriguing and satisfying accomplishments.

Cheers,

Iansdoor

**don't forget that nanites were the replacement for strong old viruses back in day.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611992

Mooshimi wrote: On another note, do you think the answer to after revs end be a station-wide pacifist trait? It would somewhat make sense, as the flavor text is similar to "The thought of violence disgusts you!" and normally in a revolution there is a lot of blood. At least to me it does? With some flavor text added when the revolution ends probably.
I don't, no. I think the answer mostly lies in policy and the communication of it, the parts that being a head admin helps significantly with.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611994

Iansdoor wrote: I would reconsider if you had plans to either finish what you started with circuits that you pushed for to replace nanites, or in all seriousness, a basic. guide to use circuits with several examples of how to manipulate them into intriguing and satisfying accomplishments.
I don't know what you mean by "if you had plans to finish what you started with circuits", I've been vocally leading the charge on circuits and their progression ever since the first PR was made, both in terms of adding my own features (such as USB cables), but as well as guiding others who are interested in working on them.

On the topic of pull requests, here are some others I've done, in the 248 PRs I've had merged:

Dynamic 2021, a very successful rethinking of the core gameplay driver
Fixing the reconnect bug, the one that prevented automatic reconnect at the end of a round
2-factor authentication for admins
Balloon alerts, text that hovers over your head
The new orbit menu, replacing a BYOND list
The new communications console
Revealing ghosts when the round ends
Moths eating clothes
A med-HUD icon for when a body can be defibbed

wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #612023

Mothblocks is a top pick, definifely.
They're nice, active, they care about the community and the game. I met them when I came back into the team and I'm absolutely obsessed with how they admin.
They're the change they want to see. Whenever some issue is brought up regarding adminning - they put their money where their mouth is. Be it adminning more than playing so that we do not have a highpop round without an admin, to respond to ahelps immediately letting people know they'll investigate it, and more. Adminning with them is a lot of fun.
Vote for the moth or get the blocks let's GO GIRLS

Unrelated to my opinion of them - I think a few people here are mixing up your coding with your admin work. You should not vote a headmin candidate based on their prs, since I'd say the majority of headmins aren't really coders and it's not related to their job.
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Post by iansdoor » #612041

Mothblocks wrote:
Iansdoor wrote: I would reconsider if you had plans to either finish what you started with circuits that you pushed for to replace nanites, or in all seriousness, a basic. guide to use circuits with several examples of how to manipulate them into intriguing and satisfying accomplishments.
I don't know what you mean by "if you had plans to finish what you started with circuits", I've been vocally leading the charge on circuits and their progression ever since the first PR was made, both in terms of adding my own features (such as USB cables), but as well as guiding others who are interested in working on them.
Everyone likes quality of life and slight change ups to ways to play to keep intrigue. But in all seriousness, you said that these circuits were ready and done deal for nanite replacement. To me, I feel you pushed for entire nanite removal without any compromise. This feeling going forward is a two edge sword. The main question is are you going to do hold hands with the community to learn ins and outs of what your projects going forward? This does include some amount of future compromises because currently, there isn't much public information and guides.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #612047

How married are you to the idea of a rev win not ending the round. Myself, and a significant number of others think this has been bad for the game. To be brutally honest, I'm not sure I have faith in a headmin that thinks it was a good change

(disclaimers: I know this isn't really a headmin stance, more a maintainer one. Also, I wouldn't blame someone for thinking it was a good change to make at the time, just that it hasn't turned out well)
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #612091

WineAllWine wrote:How married are you to the idea of a rev win not ending the round. Myself, and a significant number of others think this has been bad for the game. To be brutally honest, I'm not sure I have faith in a headmin that thinks it was a good change

(disclaimers: I know this isn't really a headmin stance, more a maintainer one. Also, I wouldn't blame someone for thinking it was a good change to make at the time, just that it hasn't turned out well)
I've talked about in bus that I agree to it as a final option (as well as some alterations, such as favoring latejoin revs), but there's a couple of things I want to try first relating to understanding of policy, or getting a more understandable policy, before doing that. Until now, not a lot of work has been done in that area, so I want to give it some serious effort to figure out if it's truly unsalvageable. It's not something I'm fundamentally opposed to, but I think we have some alternatives worth trying.

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #612115

Your opinions/policies don't change much other than general improvement so +1 no strong complaints or opinions one way or the other from me.

Besides that, you are just super friendly and nice and I think you would make a good headmin c:
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #612278

I like working with mothblocks. He's pleasant and an excellent communicator.

Question: How do you see your contributions to the game in respect for trying to run for headmin? Do you think you'll be able to contribute less or more to the codebase, or would be take more of a hiatus on maintenance while on your term? Ya know, separation between bla and bla is bla.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #612279

Question: How do you see your contributions to the game in respect for trying to run for headmin? Do you think you'll be able to contribute less or more to the codebase, or would be take more of a hiatus on maintenance while on your term? Ya know, separation between bla and bla is bla.
Great question. Head admin is definitely a lot of work, as is being a maintainer. Being realistic, I think the most likely outcome is me finishing the new preferences menu within the next 1-2 months, and then taking a step back on starting any other huge projects. I'll be doing the same as I do now in coding general: giving advice, helping contributors, and leading design, as well as continuing the active code review I do and some of the small fix/QoL PRs I've always done, but I wouldn't be starting projects that need a lot of attention, and especially not any that require code freezes (like preferences menu).

Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #612363

I've had probably just a couple Interactions with Mothblocks on tickets and they went good. They're level headed and understanding if you make a mistake, and at least seem to try to properly get context and follow the spirit of the rules, which sometimes is a hard thing for admins to do.

Don't let their involvement in the code affect your judgement for this election. Memes of grudge aside. All in all they seem to be actively involved and willing to try making things in the game and the community better in their eyes, even if their view often clashes with a chunk of the playerbase.

Not gonna be my top pick, but they're gonna be around there. The platform is solid and balanced. In addition, they're the only candidate I've seen mentioning how silly of an idea splitting MRP from LRP is, which to me is proof of good vision.

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #612404

Hi! I have a couple of areas of your platform that I'd like to ask questions about.
3. Any talk about splitting MRP and LRP is silly and would do measurable harm to everyone who has put work into it. The community seem happy, and current admins seem to be comfortable with the current rules and precedent.
While I personally would like to see MRP become a fork due to the possibilities it opens up with regards to necessary tweaks and the like, I can agree that it would probably be harmful and is just wishful thinking. However, I have to ask about the second sentence. I've talked to a lot of players from Manuel who have quit because there's been a lot of tiding and griefing that aren't directly against the rules, but still are detrimental to the quality of RP on the server. I've also asked Admins about this, and received the answer that they feel like they are limited in what they can do. I'm wondering if you can elaborate on this a little more, as I assume that you're either asking different people than I am, or that the second half is in direct continuation of the first. In which case, I would like to ask if you have any intentions of supporting MRPmins who make calls in good faith that are taken for the betterment of the round and the server's RP.

While it couldn't be added to the filter, would you plan to include things such as, say, 'Robust' when used in the OOC community sense? I've had someone who spent the entire time Sec had him arrested going on about how "You're just mad I'm more robust than you" and "I robusted you", and when I ahelped it, I was told that it's seen as a colloquial term ICly as well. If you don't plan to, then why include things such as 'antag'? If 'lmao' is filtered despite people actually saying it today, because 'Well maybe it didn't last 540 years', why does that necessarily mean that 'antag' couldn't have been colloquialised in that time? I'm not the kind who will say it IC myself (I prefer to refer to tots as Syndies, for example), if you don't KNOW what someone is, then calling them an antagonist is, while somewhat more...literary than another word you could use, it's not exactly farfetched that Spacemen who need to convey that someone is an Enemy wouldn't go Enemy -> Antagonist -> Antag as a way of shortening it down. Two syllables (An-Tag) is faster to say than three (En-Em-Ee) after all.
6. I'm interested in enabling the gateway for Sybil and Terry, and working with the mapping team to create new exciting missions.
Why, specifically, just them? I could see some very interesting RP for Manuel (or possibly Campbell, too, but I don't know the culture there) in crewmen going on away expeditions through the gateway, to explore and locate things that could be beneficial to the station or the research. It would require a bit of an expansion of the system so that it's more than just Gamer Loot, but it could be something that enhances the experience of the game, potentially.

Thank you for your time!
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #612408

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: While I personally would like to see MRP become a fork due to the possibilities it opens up with regards to necessary tweaks and the like, I can agree that it would probably be harmful and is just wishful thinking. However, I have to ask about the second sentence. I've talked to a lot of players from Manuel who have quit because there's been a lot of tiding and griefing that aren't directly against the rules, but still are detrimental to the quality of RP on the server. I've also asked Admins about this, and received the answer that they feel like they are limited in what they can do. I'm wondering if you can elaborate on this a little more, as I assume that you're either asking different people than I am, or that the second half is in direct continuation of the first. In which case, I would like to ask if you have any intentions of supporting MRPmins who make calls in good faith that are taken for the betterment of the round and the server's RP.
Sure, my "people seem to be fine with it" remark is based on my observation on the macro, not the micro. I notice that Manuel is our most consistently populated server (in that even in dead hours for other servers, it still hits good numbers), and I notice that admins don't really bring up major complaints about it in the places I frequent.

As to limitations on what admins can do, I'd have to talk to them in order to gain clarification on that. I know slurs are a hot topic, for instance. In general, I've supported and assisted MRP admins in the past, and would generally support them in good faith calls, yes. There's exceptions to every case, but in general I trust the admins who dedicate their time to Manuel to run it well, as they've done in the past.
While it couldn't be added to the filter, would you plan to include things such as, say, 'Robust' when used in the OOC community sense? I've had someone who spent the entire time Sec had him arrested going on about how "You're just mad I'm more robust than you" and "I robusted you", and when I ahelped it, I was told that it's seen as a colloquial term ICly as well. If you don't plan to, then why include things such as 'antag'? If 'lmao' is filtered despite people actually saying it today, because 'Well maybe it didn't last 540 years', why does that necessarily mean that 'antag' couldn't have been colloquialised in that time? I'm not the kind who will say it IC myself (I prefer to refer to tots as Syndies, for example), if you don't KNOW what someone is, then calling them an antagonist is, while somewhat more...literary than another word you could use, it's not exactly farfetched that Spacemen who need to convey that someone is an Enemy wouldn't go Enemy -> Antagonist -> Antag as a way of shortening it down. Two syllables (An-Tag) is faster to say than three (En-Em-Ee) after all.
This is more of a question in regards to OOC-IC policy in general. I've always seen admins enforce against "antag", and so adding it to the word filter is mostly just to protect players from themselves. Words like "lmao" being filtered are to get people onto the mindset that we're crew on a space station. Yes, people say "lmao" out loud, but blocking it like we do now helps to nudge people in the direction of roleplay, at the very least out of the NRP hell-zone.

As for "robust" specifically, I get your point, but in my personal opinion, I wouldn't count it as OOC-IC, and unlike "antag" admins have no history of blocking people from saying it.
Why, specifically, just them? I could see some very interesting RP for Manuel (or possibly Campbell, too, but I don't know the culture there) in crewmen going on away expeditions through the gateway, to explore and locate things that could be beneficial to the station or the research. It would require a bit of an expansion of the system so that it's more than just Gamer Loot, but it could be something that enhances the experience of the game, potentially.
Bagil already has the gateway opened, so that excludes that.

I would definitely be open to opening up the gateway to Manuel, just not in its current state where it effectively serves no purpose other than as a loot dispenser. I would want a lot more missions to be included before flipping that switch. Luckily, I already have our lead maptainer interested in facilitating new gateway missions, so I could definitely see Manuel getting the same switch in my term.

Let me know if you have any other question!

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #612454

Mothblocks wrote: Snip
Honestly, this answered all of my questions in a good way. Before, you were kinda low on my list, but I am actually really happy with those answers, and I have to say you're right up there, now. I wish you absolute luck in the campaign, because I think you'll do an amazing job if you're elected.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #612640

I've always seen admins enforce against "antag"
Okay, but why are they enforcing against "antag"? And as a headmin, can't you change the list of bannable words?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #612647

ATHATH wrote:
I've always seen admins enforce against "antag"
Okay, but why are they enforcing against "antag"? And as a headmin, can't you change the list of bannable words?
For the same reason we ban words like lol and digg, it's to nudge people to feel more in character and get immersed in the world in a way that doesn't get in the way of actual conversation.

Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #612683

Safe pick, would be a knowledgeable and active headmin. The kind you tend to want in charge when problems happen.
They were already doing a ton of behind-the-scenes work as keyholder, they'd be able to do even more as actually headmin.
If you want an active leadership, then this is a smart choice.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #612858

Maintainer and headmin combined to form the ultimate ruling body.

I support Mothblockification.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #612863

So maybe this is a weird thing to bring up but when I see you ingame it seems you're joined at the hip to another moth character every round, speaking in moth language so nobody else can interact with you save for the friend you've practically melded with over the past dozen rounds, and overall doing very little actual SS13-related stuff if that makes sense. Admittedly I only saw this for a handful of rounds because I'm not omnipresent but it's kinda weird and tells me that you pretty much fully support metafriending, which I personally quite dislike. Do you have any comment on this, like maybe I've just got it wrong?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #612871

PKPenguin321 wrote:So maybe this is a weird thing to bring up but when I see you ingame it seems you're joined at the hip to another moth character every round, speaking in moth language so nobody else can interact with you save for the friend you've practically melded with over the past dozen rounds, and overall doing very little actual SS13-related stuff if that makes sense. Admittedly I only saw this for a handful of rounds because I'm not omnipresent but it's kinda weird and tells me that you pretty much fully support metafriending, which I personally quite dislike. Do you have any comment on this, like maybe I've just got it wrong?
Yeah, that's a totally fair criticism, let me address that.

It's sort of half-and-half. I primarily play Medical Doctor. Playing Medical Doctor is when my primary focus is on the broader scope on the round, and when I interact with the most people. I will tend to get promoted to CMO, and spend the rest of the round scouring people on suit sensors, teaching people the tricks to getting people revived fast, asking people about their rounds when they come in for treatment, talking over command radio to know the hubbub, that sort of thing. In this role, while friends might come over and I'll chit-chat, my primary focus is on keeping medbay running, keeping people in the round, and engaging with the round as a whole.

The other half is when I play station engineer. At that point, I'm mostly just goofing off with friends for my own leisure, not really engaged with the round as a whole but more taking the time to connect with the people I like (who I sometimes don't get too much of a chance to outside of the game). I've been doing a fair bit more station engineer recently, though I can attribute a good bit of that from playing a ton of medical doctor in the meantime.

As to your note about "tells me that you pretty much fully support metafriending", I have no problem with persistent friendships, no. The problem for me comes with significant in-game advantages, which I make sure never to act upon.

I admit this is a very personal answer to a personal question, so tell me if any of it is confusing to you.

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #613478

I'm kind of curious where your personal line is drawn, would you be able to handle a ticket involving a close friend like AIIA, or would you recuse yourself?
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #613487

I could, but if there were any other admins on at the time and nothing else going on, I'd ask them for a solid to take it from me, and then bust my ass to do whatever other tickets come our way as a thank you. It's a mix of wanting to ensure the most just outcome happens in the end, as well as being important for the optics of the fairness of adminbus.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #613594

do you agree with this statement: "validhunters love to shoot hulks at the first sign of trouble. Legal racism, I understand it even though I wish it applied to moths as well."
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #613595

you can be racist to moths ill just take pictures for my Dropbox to joke about later