[Dragomagol] (Tattle) GOOOOD MORNIIIING!

Resolved.
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

[Dragomagol] (Tattle) GOOOOD MORNIIIING!

Post by tattle » #611448

Hello! I'm Dragomagol, or if you've seen me kicking around on discord you might know me better as Tattle. When I started out on /tg/ I kept primarily to Bagil, but since becoming admin I've enjoyed hopping between servers seeing what each one has to offer, and communicating with their dedicated players and admins.

I've been an admin for the past year and a bit now, and have poked my head into a lot of the subcommunities that make up /tg/station. Events, admin training, wiki editing, coding, mapping. I've been having a lot of fun watching all of the passion poured into /tg/ that makes all of these pieces come together and supporting them where I can.

What have I done?
  • Mapped out the cooking challenge in the most recent gameshow event
  • Simplified silicon policy with the help of players and admins contributing in the policy forum
  • Categorized issues as an issue manager on Github
  • Picked up and revamped parts of the Xenobio wiki page, White Ships page, and Guide to Food/Drinks pages on the wiki
  • Redesigned and re-mapped Kilo medbay treatment room
  • Contributed QoL features to the codebase including borg model radials and making it so all of our nice new stool sprites face the right ways
Putting in the work
I don't have any grand sweeping changes I want to make. What I want to do is improve on what we already have and do all of the boring work that headmins have to do, like handling ban appeals, complaints, and onboarding new admins.

I love digging through logs with other admins, both in-game and after the fact. I find piecing together events to be an interesting challenge. This is a big part of ban appeals and complaints, and it's something I don't intend to shy away from.

Policy Discussions
There have only been a handful of rulings from policy discussions that have made it to the headmin rulings wiki page this term. The rest of them, as far as I know, are all buried in the policy subforum or policybus. For admins who are coming back after a break, new admins, or interested players, it's a lot of work (and a ton of reading!) to keep up with.

I'd like to to keep the headmin rulings page up to date and use discord threads to our advantage in policybus. We would have discussions about specific policies confined to their respective threads, with the main channel being used for final rulings, with links to the forum post that started them and the thread they were discussed in.

Why do I need to be a headmin to change the wiki?
As I learned personally, changing the wiki rules page as a non-headmin is hard! And thus it tends to go largely unmaintained. When I was doing my silicon policy simplification, which I posted initially on December 27th 2020, it took until March 6th 2021 for the changes to make their way to the wiki (one of them didn't make the wiki at all, which was including that corpses are non-human from the headmin rulings page on the "is it human" chart). This was a non-trivial change and there was lots of good discussion which slimmed down and improved the wording in those ~3 months, but it gives an idea of how inaccessible improving the wiki rules can be to non-headmins.

In Summary
I want to do all of the boring things headmins do because they're things I enjoy. Organizing relevant information in easily-digestable ways, listening to the concerns of our admins and players, and getting excited with them for their victories.

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: [Dragomagol] (Tattle) GOOOOD MORNIIIING!

Post by MortoSasye » #611749

So far my number one choice. Tattle has my full support- sometimes all we need is a candidate that doesn’t promise anything wild, but one that promises to do the job and achievable goals via it. :heart:
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
SoSMaster9000
Byond Username: Sosmaster9000

Post by SoSMaster9000 » #611755

Drago is one of my favorite 'mins, from my brief experience as a trialmin they were amazing with investigative Ahelps. Fully recommend them, 100% support.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #611760

lovely and great, i recommend them wholeheartedly
as both an admin and an admin trainer theyve always been helpful, reliable and they would surely be a great pick
Last edited by Fikou on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #611775

Tattle has my full support! They have proven themselves on multiples occasions that they can handle the workload while keeping a coolhead. Perfect attitude to keep us going!
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #611780

MortoSasye wrote:So far my number one choice. Tattle has my full support- sometimes all we need is a candidate that doesn’t promise anything wild, but one that promises to do the job and achievable goals via it. :heart:
SoSMaster9000 wrote:Drago is one of my favorite 'mins, from my brief experience as a trialmin they were amazing with investigative Ahelps. Fully recommend them, 100% support.
Fikou wrote:lovely and great, i recommend them wholeheartedly
My heart is unbelievably full. Thank you all! I've loved working with and for each of you. :heart:

Spoiler:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611788

I was very surprised to hear someone on the planet enjoys going through logs. I also very much like the idea of publicizing headmin policy and making it easier to access - the "rules" page does not, to my knowledge, cover all the niceties of policy and what is and isn't allowed.

I'm curious if you believe there is any room for improvement around policy-making and the policies themselves. Are there any areas you think need improvement or would like to see policy created/reworked in?
Spoiler:
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #611790

Domitius wrote:Tattle has my full support! They have proven themselves on multiples occasions that they can handle the workload while keeping a coolhead. Perfect attitude to keep us going!
Thank you! :heart: You've been a huge inspiration to me in how you keep people's spirits up, goofing around with the players while keeping their concerns in mind. That's the kind of energy I want to bring forward and give to the new admins.

Spoiler:
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #611834

sinfulbliss wrote:I was very surprised to hear someone on the planet enjoys going through logs. I also very much like the idea of publicizing headmin policy and making it easier to access - the "rules" page does not, to my knowledge, cover all the niceties of policy and what is and isn't allowed.
Thankfully we have some good tools for parsing logs; I don't think I'd enjoy it nearly as much if I had to try to sift through all of the emotes that get logged! I find making discoveries that either support or disprove someone's version of events to be very engaging--it's like putting together a puzzle.
sinfulbliss wrote:I'm curious if you believe there is any room for improvement around policy-making and the policies themselves. Are there any areas you think need improvement or would like to see policy created/reworked in?
In terms of policy-making I don't think there's anything in specific I had in mind besides what I mentioned above, but I'm kind of into the idea of making policy-bus more accessible to players. As for what we already have, I'd like to see more integration of the rules and headmin rulings pages, possibly with headmin rulings listed under each relevant category (and now-irrelevant rulings removed or archived).

Spoiler:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #612058

Hi - I appreciate that you've provided some reasoning for why you should be chosen over other "policy light" headmins - that said, given you clearly have strong views on our rules pages/moderated wiki sections, could I ask what plans you have in mind for that? Doesn't have to be super detailed, just an idea of what direction you would take it in.

Also, given how important the rules and headmin ruling pages are, what are your plans to work with NamelessFairy and the other headmin on this? Understandably, editing and reviewing wiki edits is pretty dry work, but it's also important to have consensus on what our presentation of the rules are, and it can slide down the work pile in favour of more publicly visible work like appeals/complaints/new policy/etc. - in fact, I would suspect this is atleast in part what caused the delay you mention in your platform.

You note that you've worked on quite a bit of the various different branches of /tg/ - events, codebase, mapping etc. - understandably headminship takes a bit more of a slice of your day than normal adminning, how do you feel about the concept that you might have to drop something like issue management or get less time to spend on coding to meet your duties?

Thanks for your time in answering these questions!
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #612099

Arianya wrote:given you clearly have strong views on our rules pages/moderated wiki sections, could I ask what plans you have in mind for that? Doesn't have to be super detailed, just an idea of what direction you would take it in.
Sure thing! I've made a (very rough) draft of it here: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/User:Dragomagol . The overview is that I'd like to make separate pages for the main rulings, security rulings, and silicon policy (to go alongside the roleplay rules page). I'd like to add the headmin rulings we have to the relevant pages/sections so that everything you might need to reference for a security ruling is on the security page, for example.
Arianya wrote:Also, given how important the rules and headmin ruling pages are, what are your plans to work with NamelessFairy and the other headmin on this? Understandably, editing and reviewing wiki edits is pretty dry work, but it's also important to have consensus on what our presentation of the rules are, and it can slide down the work pile in favour of more publicly visible work like appeals/complaints/new policy/etc. - in fact, I would suspect this is atleast in part what caused the delay you mention in your platform.
You bring up an excellent point, reviewing a huge document takes time and is definitely not everyone's idea of fun. Maybe reviewing the changes a chunk at a time to make them more digestible would be best for the other headmins. (Something like starting with making the separate pages, followed by adding the headmin rulings to each, etc.)

If it needs to take the backburner for more pressing things for a little while, I won't be overly upset. It's a quality of life change in the end. But I'm definitely not afraid to follow up if it does get put off by the others.
Arianya wrote:You note that you've worked on quite a bit of the various different branches of /tg/ - events, codebase, mapping etc. - understandably headminship takes a bit more of a slice of your day than normal adminning, how do you feel about the concept that you might have to drop something like issue management or get less time to spend on coding to meet your duties?
It's a little sad of course, but thankfully there are a lot of other issue managers and coders! And the reality is that those things aren't as time-sensitive as headmin work. Events is a different kettle of fish, though. If I have to take care of headmin things instead of working on a big event, I think that the best thing to do is to be realistic and upfront about how much I can contribute to the event team.

Thank you for your questions!

Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #612116

My opinion of you is the same as mothblocks.
Your opinions/policies don't change much other than general improvement so +1 no strong complaints or opinions one way or the other from me.

Besides that, you are just super friendly and nice and I think you would make a good headmin c:
so I copy pasted it. Although huge kudos for the thankless and dry task of updating the wiki. You both are a great asset to the team!
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #612122

Simplified silicon policy with the help of players and admins contributing in the policy forum
I never did say it, but good shit 10/10

It definitely needed an update for a number of changes over the half-decade it was left largely untouched, and to be adapted to a server where those expectations were already long-established in both the rules and culture of a server.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #612285

NikNakFlak wrote:My opinion of you is the same as mothblocks.
Your opinions/policies don't change much other than general improvement so +1 no strong complaints or opinions one way or the other from me.

Besides that, you are just super friendly and nice and I think you would make a good headmin c:
so I copy pasted it. Although huge kudos for the thankless and dry task of updating the wiki. You both are a great asset to the team!
Thank you Nik! :heart: Updating is dry, but I'm happy it makes things more usable! And it's nice to see the end product, like a thoroughly cleaned room.
Pandarsenic wrote:I never did say it, but good shit 10/10

It definitely needed an update for a number of changes over the half-decade it was left largely untouched, and to be adapted to a server where those expectations were already long-established in both the rules and culture of a server.
Thank you, I'm stoked to hear you like the changes! I noticed your signature when you started posting again and I was wondering if you'd seen them. I'm glad I did it and I'm ready to continue the trend.

Spoiler:
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #612368

incredibly reliable and one of the most diligent people I've had on the events team, still helping ongoing. I only have good things to say about tattle and the fact that they were able to help as much as they did with all the events is something that impresses me and makes me know they're reliable. This combined with their positive attitude makes them an overall joy to be around.

an upgrade to headmin is really the only logical option for them
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #612455

CitrusGender wrote:incredibly reliable and one of the most diligent people I've had on the events team, still helping ongoing. I only have good things to say about tattle and the fact that they were able to help as much as they did with all the events is something that impresses me and makes me know they're reliable. This combined with their positive attitude makes them an overall joy to be around.

an upgrade to headmin is really the only logical option for them
This makes me happy beyond words-- thank you! :heart: I'm thankful for the event infrastructure and team we have and I can't wait to see it grow >B)

Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #612684

dragomagol wrote: What have I done?
  • Mapped out the cooking challenge in the most recent gameshow event
  • Simplified silicon policy with the help of players and admins contributing in the policy forum
  • Categorized issues as an issue manager on Github
  • Picked up and revamped parts of the Xenobio wiki page, White Ships page, and Guide to Food/Drinks pages on the wiki
  • Redesigned and re-mapped Kilo medbay treatment room
  • Contributed QoL features to the codebase including borg model radials and making it so all of our nice new stool sprites face the right ways
Also just want to remind people that as much as dealing with this kind of stuff sort of SUCKS to do, someone has to do it or important things fall by the wayside and become unusable. Having the Wiki up to date, especially, is vital to new and returning players.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Richie9999
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Richie9999

Post by Richie9999 » #612908

Tattle has a great attitude and is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. A great admin and admin trainer. They deserve mad props for the work on the wiki as well. You easily have my support.
BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: BrotherBeyond

Post by BrotherBeyond » #612935

Tattle helps me logdive and is an incredibly knowledgeable and friendly admin. I love Tattle.
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #613003

Richie9999 wrote:Tattle has a great attitude and is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. A great admin and admin trainer. They deserve mad props for the work on the wiki as well. You easily have my support.
Thank you!! You have been doing an excellent job down on Bagil with the few lads it has left. :heart:
BrotherBeyond wrote:Tattle helps me logdive and is an incredibly knowledgeable and friendly admin. I love Tattle.
Thank you :heart: I'm always down to do some logdiving! >B)
Although most of the time you don't even need it!

Spoiler:
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #614043

My heart is beating out of my chest. Thank you so much everyone for your support :heart:

LET'S GO!

Spoiler: