Cimika - To nurture and uplift

Resolved.
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Cimika - To nurture and uplift

Post by Cimika » #611504

Hey everyone.

I'm running for my first head admin election! Exciting times - I am very much looking forward to the whole process and I am hopeful about being given a chance to help lead and steer the community in the right direction.

Who?

I'm Cimika, a french player turned admin in early March 2021. I initially hailed from our good ol' Manuel server before falling in love with the goofier atmosphere that Sybil and Terry provide us.

What can be expected from a Head Admin Cimika?

I strive to be down to earth, easily reachable, and responsive in all things. I feel like head admins should mingle more with the community as a whole and that is a pretty important part of what kind of headmin I want to be. I have had the chance to personally meet and play alongside with a good chunk of our community; I hope that this will help the community see me as a trusted leader rather than someone who may seem unreachable in their INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS towers, only appearing to grant the swift release of death to ban appeals.

Player facing

- Encourage player-staff communications. One of my biggest drive behind becoming a head-admin, the ticket system on discord is the foundation of a system that will lead to good things for the health of /tg/ as a whole. It is my intent to encourage players and admins alike to use them liberally in order to make the administration less insular.

- Create a permanent policy-bus role for players that wish to involve themselves in policy, yet do not have the drive or capabilities to become staff. This would help players feel like they have a representation that is "on their side" and would help foster quality discussions with a broader set of voices and opinions.

- Keep up a high headmin activity in the FNR subforum. Even a small post on an aging appeal can help a player feel listened to and let them know they haven't been swept under the rug. It is my intent to keep up with those, as well as complaints and policy, as much as possible.

- Keep up the work that has been put into organising precedents and headmin rulings. Yes, also a very popular point to run on and for good reason. They make up a vast portion of our rules.

Admin facing

- Focus on keeping the ball rolling. Our current team is diverse, active, and full of love and passion for the game. It is not my intent in any capacity to bring huge sweeping changes to how we operate; my goal is to nurture and grow what works rather than risking new ventures.

- Work with the Trainers to make an ever better training period. This is a point that comes up often and for good reason. I have experience in teaching people new things and would like to start by creating some "Example scenarios" for some of our most common tickets such as over-escalation. This is important because it can help candidates dip their toes in the water as well as get comfortable with reading logs and drawing conclusions - without tossing them into the stressful environement of a real round.
Last edited by Cimika on Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Cimika - To nurture and uplift

Post by MortoSasye » #611754

Another top pick. Cimika knows both mrp and lrp well- giving her an unique advantage over other candidates.

On a personal level, I know her to be a kind but strict person, with good takes.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #611792

I didn't really want to throw out any "vote for this person" posts this election because frankly I think MOST of the candidates could end up being really good. That being said, I couldn't resist doing one for Cimika, because I'm just in love with how much drive and energy they have for this community. From the start it's been obvious that Cimika has been giving adminning their all, and I think it'd be really really great for them to apply this to the tasks of a headmin. It's newer people like Cimika that just really excite me about the future of tg, I think they could be a phenomenal headmin. Good luck!
[this space reserved]
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611860

Cimika wrote:Encourage player-staff communications. One of my biggest drive behind becoming a head-admin, the ticket system on discord is the foundation of a system that will lead to good things for the health of /tg/ as a whole. It is my intent to encourage players and admins alike to use them liberally in order to make the administration less insular.
Very much like this idea, and would love to see it implemented.
Cimika wrote:- Keep up the work that has been put into organising precedents and headmin rulings. Yes, also a very popular point to run on and for good reason. They make up a vast portion of our rules.
Are there any specific rulings you feel more strongly about which you'd like to receive more attention - or areas of play that could stand to have policy implemented around? I'm curious about what some of your individual takes are.
Spoiler:
SpaceLove
Byond Username: SpaceLove

Post by SpaceLove » #611894

Cimika wrote: - Create a permanent policy-bus role for players that wish to involve themselves in policy, yet do not have the drive or capabilities to become staff. This would help players feel like they have a representation that is "on their side" and would help foster quality discussions with a broader set of voices and opinions.
We have this system and it definitely helps a lot. Players should be encouraged more to venture their voice and opinions on the server rules and policies.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #611914

It's not exactly an uncommon opinion among Manuel players that the quality of things have dipped rather drastically lately. Non-antags insisting on building Rage Cages directly in the middle of the main halls (Between Sci/Med, above the Departures hallway, for example), or deciding that they're going to break every single interior window on the station because they just discovered how strong the Lead Pipe is, as two of the more recent examples that come to mind. But this has resulted in a situation where some of my friends who had taken time off and come back have noticed that people are less inclined to really stop and talk than they used to be. Someone who was once chill and easy to mess around with, is now a lot more guarded, and unwilling to stop in the halls. Where before people would do gimmicks, or approach things in a funny or entertaining way, there's a lot more hardlined I MUST GET MY GREENTEXT behaviour. And some of those friends just refuse to come back because of it.

I'd spoken to some admins on this topic before, and they said that it was a difficult spot for them, because while they might be able to nail the repeat offenders who are very clearly not making an effort to learn how to play on MRP, it's rather difficult to defend the decision when it has to be explained to people who aren't familiar with the way that MRP functions. A couple of other candidates are intending to give more power to the MRPmins to make rulings for MRP related issues, but what is your intention on this topic? Do you think that things are fine the way they are currently, or do you agree they need a change? And if so, what do you plan to do?
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #612111

I was heavily against adminning cimika to begin with. I thought they were strong headed and a bit in the manual metaclick gang.
I no longer think this.

I have since mostly taken the same opinion as wesoda. They are really good, nice, and have insane drive and energy towards adminning and improving tg. I will be putting them somewhere high on the voting list.
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #612121

sinfulbliss' post
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss wrote:
Cimika wrote:Encourage player-staff communications. One of my biggest drive behind becoming a head-admin, the ticket system on discord is the foundation of a system that will lead to good things for the health of /tg/ as a whole. It is my intent to encourage players and admins alike to use them liberally in order to make the administration less insular.
Very much like this idea, and would love to see it implemented.
Cimika wrote:- Keep up the work that has been put into organising precedents and headmin rulings. Yes, also a very popular point to run on and for good reason. They make up a vast portion of our rules.
Are there any specific rulings you feel more strongly about which you'd like to receive more attention - or areas of play that could stand to have policy implemented around? I'm curious about what some of your individual takes are.
Some of the headmin rulings that come up the most would be the rulings regarding rule 1 and the rulings regarding silicons. They come up enough that they shouldn't need another click to view - Which player have and will often miss.
I would be interested in using my position as head admin to push for better atomisation in our rules. Silicon rules, policy and precedents could stand to be all in the same place, instead of the half and half situation that we have going on right now.
Spoiler:

Cimika

Post by Cimika » #612126

CMDR_Gungnir's post
Spoiler:
CMDR_Gungnir wrote:It's not exactly an uncommon opinion among Manuel players that the quality of things have dipped rather drastically lately. Non-antags insisting on building Rage Cages directly in the middle of the main halls (Between Sci/Med, above the Departures hallway, for example), or deciding that they're going to break every single interior window on the station because they just discovered how strong the Lead Pipe is, as two of the more recent examples that come to mind. But this has resulted in a situation where some of my friends who had taken time off and come back have noticed that people are less inclined to really stop and talk than they used to be. Someone who was once chill and easy to mess around with, is now a lot more guarded, and unwilling to stop in the halls. Where before people would do gimmicks, or approach things in a funny or entertaining way, there's a lot more hardlined I MUST GET MY GREENTEXT behaviour. And some of those friends just refuse to come back because of it.

I'd spoken to some admins on this topic before, and they said that it was a difficult spot for them, because while they might be able to nail the repeat offenders who are very clearly not making an effort to learn how to play on MRP, it's rather difficult to defend the decision when it has to be explained to people who aren't familiar with the way that MRP functions. A couple of other candidates are intending to give more power to the MRPmins to make rulings for MRP related issues, but what is your intention on this topic? Do you think that things are fine the way they are currently, or do you agree they need a change? And if so, what do you plan to do?
The way the team currently work and discuss MRP-related issues, I do feel like MRP admins have plenty of power to handle issues. We even have a rule that could be interepreted as a rule to force people to RP (Rule 9), that can be liberally used to enforce RP standards if necessary. I'd be happy to back-up more rule 9 rulings as long as they are (obviously) made in good faith and with a sound reasoning behind them.

The issues you've cited as examples sound like straight up grief and do not need specific MRP rulings to be handled.
Spoiler:

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #612165

Cimika's Post:
Spoiler:
The way the team currently work and discuss MRP-related issues, I do feel like MRP admins have plenty of power to handle issues. We even have a rule that could be interepreted as a rule to force people to RP (Rule 9), that can be liberally used to enforce RP standards if necessary. I'd be happy to back-up more rule 9 rulings as long as they are (obviously) made in good faith and with a sound reasoning behind them.

The issues you've cited as examples sound like straight up grief and do not need specific MRP rulings to be handled.
It sounds like you're commited to seeing Manuel thrive, and would be a Headmin who MRPmins feel like they could count on to understand when they need to take those steps for the sake of the RP. I'm quite happy with this answer, thank you.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #612197

Cimika unification headmin. Respected on MRP, respected on LRP.

Personally vouch for their passion towards community. Every decision backed by drive to make tg a place players want to play.

Firm. Fair. Passionate. Looking forward to seeing how far Cimika goes.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #612206

i'm glad to see you running! i have a few questions about your campaign.
- Encourage player-staff communications. One of my biggest drive behind becoming a head-admin, the ticket system on discord is the foundation of a system that will lead to good things for the health of /tg/ as a whole. It is my intent to encourage players and admins alike to use them liberally in order to make the administration less insular.
Doesn't the ticket system already exist with the #help-tickets chanel?
- Create a permanent policy-bus role for players that wish to involve themselves in policy, yet do not have the drive or capabilities to become staff. This would help players feel like they have a representation that is "on their side" and would help foster quality discussions with a broader set of voices and opinions.
How would who gets this role be decided? If they are trusted enough to involve themselves permanently in policy, why are they not trusted enough to be staff?
- Work with the Trainers to make an ever better training period. This is a point that comes up often and for good reason. I have experience in teaching people new things and would like to start by creating some "Example scenarios" for some of our most common tickets such as over-escalation. This is important because it can help candidates dip their toes in the water as well as get comfortable with reading logs and drawing conclusions - without tossing them into the stressful environement of a real round.
How would this system be done? And what is the issue in dipping the candidates' toes in the environment of a real round? I feel like this would show a perfect scenario of a thing happening for the candidates, when often the situation is very different, and it could be more stressful than a real round, since they would be "tested" directly by admins that control if they get promoted or no.

Thanks for looking at this, cheers.
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #612274

Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:i'm glad to see you running! i have a few questions about your campaign.
How would who gets this role be decided? If they are trusted enough to involve themselves permanently in policy, why are they not trusted enough to be staff?
How would this system be done? And what is the issue in dipping the candidates' toes in the environment of a real round? I feel like this would show a perfect scenario of a thing happening for the candidates, when often the situation is very different, and it could be more stressful than a real round, since they would be "tested" directly by admins that control if they get promoted or no.

Thanks for looking at this, cheers.
Hi Fikou and thanks for swinging by!
I am pleased with the direction that #help-tickets is pushing us toward, but I am not happy yet with the current system. It is flawed, because it requires an admin to open a ticket for the player. I want to push towards a system that allows for player-created ticket on discord, to push for even more ease of contacting staff! The bot I linked in one of the discussion could do the job well if configured properly. https://ticketsbot.net/
I could have worded that better, as it was pointed out to me previously. To clarify, the intent is not to create a special role for permanent access, but rather to just let players that have expressed interest for it keep it, and only take it away from bad faith actors, or people that misuse it. Essentially turning policy-bus into a permanent opt-in, with the caveat that you can't fuck around with it.
My plan is to work with the established trainer team to identify, isolate and refine some key scenarios in order to help a candidate better understand log-diving. For the very early part of candidacy, this is often the most time-consuming and stressful parts of tickets, and being used to looking through logs for a specific information would be a great boon to the training period.
Spoiler:

Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #612293

Alright, thank you for answering, good luck!
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #612680

Good contributor, experienced admin, and quite active as well. Solid choice.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #613108

I checked your activity on scrubby and, at least for in game, it has dropped off significantly these last 3 months. Is there a reason for this, and will it interfere with your duties as headmin? Similarly, I know of your involvement (although not to what capacity) in at least one other SS13 community. How do you plan on balancing your responsibilities as headmin here and whatever positions you might possess in other communities, even if they're just that of player?
[this space reserved]
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #613121

Thanks for asking about this. The reason is very simple, I just didn't feel like playing on /tg/ for a bit. I still connect regularly, but after my immense activity spike, I just felt like playing other things to preserve my interest. I take burnout very seriously and it's one of the ways I have to deal with it. Despite this "perceived" inactivity, I am still active in the community and in the admin team, I frequently browse the forums, participate in bus, mingle with our players... Hell, I even organised and spear-headed an entire discord server only made to encourage our community to get together and try out TGMC! I can guarantee than me playing a bit less than before won't affect my tenure as a head admin.

As for my involvement with another community, I will say the same. I feel perfectly capable of putting my headmin work first and helping around in my spare time, as it is something I like doing, but I am also a very self-aware person. I'll know to take the steps necessary to preserve that.

Edit : I'm also still a supportmin and [Literally every server]min, and I like taking those pings when I can get to them first!
Spoiler: