Regarding ock ick and punishment

Resolved.
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Regarding ock ick and punishment

Post by bastardblaster » #612372

I've noticed a lot of minor to moderate ooc in ic recently, from both players and some admin shenanigans. Do you feel the need to clamp down on it, or do you think it doesn't matter enough or happens to rarely?

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Regarding ock ick and punishment

Post by Mothblocks » #612374

I've seen OOC in IC enforced whenever we actually see it, but we don't (usually) have ghost eyes and ghost ears everywhere, so it's just if we see it. What tends to happen is you get a light note, and then don't do it again.

The only thing a head admin can really do in this situation is buff the word filter, which I already would like to do. Things like "antag" specifically I want to filter.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612625

OOC in IC is a dumb rule imho

IC in OOC is an actual important rule because it's revealing round info to *everyone*, that shit is important to crack down on in serious cases
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #612634

eh if they did it by accident its fine, but if they keep doing it repeatedly then, give them a note, then notch up the punishment
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #612878

I believe that accidents shouldn't be noted and should just be a verbal warning. If it's consistent note.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #612884

kieth4 wrote:I believe that accidents shouldn't be noted and should just be a verbal warning. If it's consistent note.
Contradictory answer. Mused many times by admin team. Lacking admin perspective colours answer with shade of green.

Own perspective is - If admin A does not note, how does admin B know behaviour is consistent? If do not note behaviour, cannot assume any future admin will know about it.

Answer OP question now!

One exception to all below - Teaching game mechanics. Allowed IC in OOC. "You need to click on big red button" "You need to click-drag onto gibber" etc. Never bwoink, never note.

Player have to learn game somehow. No better method to communicate this info. Turn blind eye for benefit of teachies.

Always note major ick ock. Flagrant disregard for rules. Usually discussing OOC concepts IC or totally breaking character to talk about game IC. Sometimes short 15min server ban to drive home point if history.

Also always note minor ick ock. Ignorance or misunderstanding of rules. Using smiley or netspeak examples.

Verbal warning for accidental ick ock or silly slip of tongue. Verbal warning enough that player will not repeat. Done where assessment of situation is player needing subtle reminder to not fall below expected standard.

In all scenarios, ensure player understand OOC in IC and IC in OOC rules. Explain & teach. Provide example of way to say things without OOC in IC. Example of how to do better. Hope player learn.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #612888

The way OOC in IC is currently handled is perfectly fine.

Allow people to ock ick to teach mechanics, note incidents to let future admins know that this player has been talked to about OOC in IC in the past. Ban if repeated behaviour.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :