NEXT ELECTION WILL BE DIFFERENT

Resolved.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

NEXT ELECTION WILL BE DIFFERENT

Post by QuartzCrystal » #82667

Hey guys, voting is currently happening for all players but I figured I would post this now.

Next election instead of doing the usual nomination and then creation of a thread for the player vote, it is going to be required that anyone who wants to run (as everyone basically nominates themselves already anyways) must acquire the endorsement of two (2) players and one (1) administrator. Players and admins can endorse multiple candidates if they'd like. Endorsing someone for candidacy is simply saying you'd be OK with them being a headmin.

This system will encourage more activity of potential candidates (they'll need to talk to people, etc) and removes the need for the host to be involved in the nomination process. At a base level, if someone (an admin or a player) can't find at least two players and one admin who would theoretically be OK with them being a headmin, they probably shouldn't be allowed to run.

Once someone is able to confirm their endorsers they'll make their thread, in that thread they'll mention who the 3 endorsers are.

I want to point out that this does not remove the possibility of nominating a candidate you like who has yet to show interest, all one has to do is approach that person and say "Hey you should run, I'll be one of your endorsers!" etc etc.
QuartzCrystal

Re: NEXT ELECTION WILL BE DIFFERENT

Post by QuartzCrystal » #82668

If anyone has any concerns with this system please let me know, I think it's better than what I came up with on a whim before.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #82669

Sounds like a good plan. We'll probably have to make sure that people aren't making duplicate accounts or whatever to vouch for themselves, but 1) that'd probably be really easy to spot, and 2) a person who can't get three people to vouch for them they probably don't have a chance of winning anyway.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #82671

I imagined the title being screamed in Dr. Weird's voice.

Yea, I see little issue with this at the moment.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #82672

Yes, I guarantee the system is going to change, because setting up a new system at the end of one election, 6 months away from the election this is going to apply to is going to cause weirdness. Situations may change, and nominees are going to be literally scraping up endorsements from anywhere.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #82673

Also, this was discussed in adminbus with no player input wasn't it? Don't forget the players came up with this idea of having three split up votes too. Not saying that the process is in stone currently, but maybe a discussion should have been made before concreteness instead of the opposite.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #82685

This system wasn't discussed anywhere. The system we had going for the past two elections I just pulled out of my butt initially to make things happen quickly, this new system is just better. This thread is for discussion.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #82709

I shall be proactive, and begin my bribery campaigns six months in advance! In three months I will commence mudslinging of prominent figures via multiple anonymous servants on singulo and then spilling out into forums and game, and all shall be in my hands...
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #82739

What will happen with the adminbus election and the host/coderbus choice?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #82772

Malkevin wrote:What will happen with the adminbus election and the host/coderbus choice?
Left to their own devices? Adminbus is much smaller and we just do a forum poll on the admin forum. Arguably our two choices have been very popular with the playerbase as well so I don't see any reason to change our system.

Violaceus wrote:Admin's endorsment requirment will cause many whining about how admins control everything, I am sure.

Obviously this suggested system looks better than what we have now.
I threw this in here as a means of ensuring that a candidate should, theoretically, be considered competent to be an admin. For example, I can think of plenty of players who have never been an admin who I think would make fine headmins, but there are also a lot of players who wouldn't and that type of identification could only really be made by someone who has administrated while they've been around. We also have a lot of admins, it should be no problem to find one to simply say "I would not be opposed to them being a headmin".
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #82822

Before anyone accuses me of being salty I knew I wasn't going to end ups headmin no matter what happens. Neither was any of the other non-admins.

Here's the problem with the player vote, outside the forms/wider community (half us go months between rounds at times) a good deal of the players don't really know anyone that isn't an admin because they are here to play spacemans and aren't yet bitching on the forums and remembering everyone's names and characters and having loads metafriends.

Admins are notable to the players that just play, most other people that don't piss them off are not.

Coderbus having a vote when HG is headcoder is also a problem.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #82827

Someone could easily gain the admin boost by asking myself or another trainer to candidate you a few rounds, etc.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #82900

Only players should be able to run for the player vote.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #82913

Tsaricide wrote:Only players should be able to run for the player vote.
Then people are just voting for people because it says they have to and abstaining would be a waste. Nobody has time to read 8 different candidate threads and play this game at the same time.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #82943

It's important in any situation that people see their leaders as having legitimate authority. I can't see many admins being content with a situation where they have to basically teach a person how to actually be an admin; what button does what, how to edit vars without setting the AI laws == a pipe, etc. and then an hour later have that person dictate policy at them.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #82947

To entertain the idea of a player elected headadmin.

The player headmin does not necessarily need to have in depth in game administration knowledge, the job of the headmin in this case would be primarily to dictate game policy as well as oversee all other admins. Thus a player admin would be far more focused on the policy aspect of the job than the oversite of other admins.

I'm not against the idea of a player headmin, to be honest what's the difference between a knowledgeable player wanting to shape the game's policy to a knowledgeable admin wanting to shape the game's policy? The only real difference between the two is that one knows how to act as a admin in game and the other won't necessarily, but as noted above a headmin is more focused on policy than administration, at least for a playermin.

In addition the people I would bet on being elected on being player headmin would problely have all had at least some brief admincandidate time, hell a lot of people I would never have suspected otherwise have been admincandidate's for a bit.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #82951

Cheridan wrote:
It's important in any situation that people see their leaders as having legitimate authority. I can't see many admins being content with a situation where they have to basically teach a person how to actually be an admin; what button does what, how to edit vars without setting the AI laws == a pipe, etc. and then an hour later have that person dictate policy at them.
Same argument could be applied to a coder, just because they code for the game doesn't necessarily mean they understand admin tools or how to admin.

Granted HG is an experienced admin but if the coderbus election wasn't between HG again or an IRC bot or an ASCII penis... some coder could've been elected that wasn't an admin.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #82959

Malkevin wrote:
Cheridan wrote:
Same argument could be applied to a coder, just because they code for the game doesn't necessarily mean they understand admin tools or how to admin.

Granted HG is an experienced admin but if the coderbus election wasn't between HG again or an IRC bot or an ASCII penis... some coder could've been elected that wasn't an admin.
Well, I think that most coders do have at least some admin button experience because they should be bringing up private games for testing. But you're right, even that neglects the "bedside manner" aspect of answering PMs and not being a donk in OOC.

Since you've opened the can of worms, I would prefer if the codervote was limited to people who had gone through the trialmin application process.
It also objectively needs to be ran by a neutral third party with clearly established nominees because "I vote for X because I don't know who else to vote for" is a sad political system.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #82974

yeah, the coder vote is pretty shitty imo
i don't think we even have any admin maintainers anymore besides cheri and HG.
I feel like the coder vote should go to somewhere where it could be better utilized, but i have no idea where that would be. a second player vote? I don't know.

i am fairly confident that all maintainers have a good knowledge of the admin TOOLS (i have spent more time messing around by myself on a test server than i want to admit), but of actual administration I know little.

also, say what you want about the dumb shit hg does in his role as a headcoder (there's a lot), he's a competent headmin.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #82987

Don't see why the three votes can't be of the same batch of nominated candidates.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #83025

Malkevin wrote:Don't see why the three votes can't be of the same batch of nominated candidates.
Unless a solid argument can be made against this, I see no reason why this wont be the case by the next election.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #83027

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Malkevin wrote:Don't see why the three votes can't be of the same batch of nominated candidates.
Unless a solid argument can be made against this, I see no reason why this wont be the case by the next election.
I'd consider it an improvement, I always found it strange that it didn't work this way.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #83036

Because democracy is a work in progress.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #83140

I too like the idea that you have a pool of nominated candidates.

Admins vote from it first
Then the host vote is applied ( Currently the 8==D fest in github by the maintainers)
Then the players get to pick a third.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #83533

Could do Instant-runoff voting or something similar next time to hasten the process?
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #83564

Jordie0608 wrote:Could do Instant-runoff voting or something similar next time to hasten the process?
This is quite possible, ranked ballots (or at least multiple polls with clearly labeled "FIRST CHOICE" "SECOND CHOICE" etc) could work.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #83766

Jordie0608 wrote:Could do Instant-runoff voting or something similar next time to hasten the process?
Why not just use preferential voting? more work to set up but you get the results in an instant.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #83773

callanrockslol wrote:
Why not just use preferential voting? more work to set up but you get the results in an instant.
Insant-runoff is preferential voting; it's what we use for our ballots callan.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #83940

Jordie0608 wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:
Insant-runoff is preferential voting; it's what we use for our ballots callan.
Clearly I don't understand your fancy proper terminology

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #84399

I'm leaving this unlocked in case anyone wants to raise any concerns about this.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #91593

Relevant:
MrStonedOne wrote:my vote, the host vote, will be going to the headmins next election where they can either give it to coderbus, give it to the player base or admins as a second vote, or unanimously pick a non-current headmin. Failing any agreement on those options, I'll just pick somebody
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #99293

I'm going to look for a player to join the electionbus conspiracy with myself and MSO, last election was a bit much and frankly it makes sense that someone who isn't an admin plays a part in running this shit. I have a few ideas of who it should be, but I'm throwing this out here so people know.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #100164

QuartzCrystal wrote:I'm going to look for a player to join the electionbus conspiracy with myself and MSO, last election was a bit much and frankly it makes sense that someone who isn't an admin plays a part in running this shit. I have a few ideas of who it should be, but I'm throwing this out here so people know.
This player is oranges.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #101821

I think this time we should continuosly purge "candidates" who just want to shit up the elections, like sabbat/miggles/pomf last time.
Like, failing to answer anything seriously and memeposting only takes the attention away from the candidates who care about the community.
Maybe after a warning or whatever.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #101940

Pomf was running legit, anon3 was just angry about it and the guy who kept shitposting is someone who has been permabanned from vg
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #101966

Pomf has his own server and he can stay there.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #115587

I nominate Oldman Robustin aka ForcefulCJS for whatever that's worth. I don't know if he would complain more or less afterwords.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.