Anonmare's very serious short stories

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Anonmare's very serious short stories

Post by Anonmare » #388203

A recent conversation with armhulen a few days ago reminded me that I used to write for pleasure and that I had stopped for reasons i cannot quite recall. So, in order to rectify this, I have decided to take up writing some short stories of SS13 in a typically serious tone and posting them here because the hard part about writing is other people reading it. For now: I present you two short stories, told from the perspective of two different antagonists.
Anonmare

Re: Anonmare's very serious short stories

Post by Anonmare » #388204

Chrysalis
Doctor Jennings considered himself a man of sound mind and sanity, but the thing that stood before him was neither. “What are yo-”
Spoiler:
Joseph Watts is a station engineer, currently serving aboard Space Station 13. He has been working for Nanotrasen for over ten and a score years, and on this station, for over seven plus years and has never missed a day off work.
Joseph Watts has a family living on Earth in the Sol system on income support, whom he sends most of his weekly paycheck to in order to help alleviate most of their financial burdens after an economic downturn in the Sol government resulted them in receiving less and less support each year..

Joseph Watts loves his family. Joseph Watts is, by all definitions, a model employee.

It was quite unfortunate that he was dead.

“Watts, I'm reading power problems in medical maint again, do you think you could check it out?” Spoke a tinny voice through Joseph Watts' headset, the voice of his immediate superior; Angelina Howard, the Chief Engineer.
“Sure! No problem at all CE.” Joseph Watts replied, smile audible through his headset's mic pickup. He packed all his tools into a toolbox and disappeared into the maintenance sections of the station, proceeding to the medical section and whistled a little tune he remembered from Joseph Watts' childhood.

Joseph Watts had grown up on Mars and spent most of his childhood being homeschooled at an oxygen farm, Mars did not make education mandatory and school was too expensive for his parents to afford. Regardless, they did their best to teach their son and skimped and saved enough money to send him to a technical college on Earth when he came of age. He spent several years studying there and came out with an engineering degree.

His parents couldn't have been more proud.

Joseph Watts quickly identified the source of the problem, a mouse had foolishly bit into the cabling and severed a critical power line which prevented power from getting to the medical section. Joseph Watts was sure they'd be consoled to know their perpetrator died in the act of their ratty sabotage.

He set down his toolbox and go to work...

Joseph Watts met his fiancé whilst studying at Earth and quickly fell in love with her. She studied botany whilst he studied construction and power systems. They got married two years after he finished technical college and later had two children a few years afterwards, a sickly daughter and an athletically-inclined son.

However, he soon found that the jobs on Earth could not pay for his expenses, his growing family's financial needs soon eclipsed his ability to provide on Earth as more and more labour was automated away whilst the jobs that did remain paid less and less.

It was with a heavy heart that he told his wife that he had signed on with Nanotrasen.

Joseph Watts didn't expect to be interrupted whilst he worked, the job was supposed to be a quick fix – a simple wire replacement and that's it. A job that would have taken even the most unskilled engineer five seconds at most to do but Joseph did not expect to encounter anyone whilst he was working, and whether by fate or providence – he met Doctor Jennings...

Joseph Watts sighed exhaustively as he returned to his dorm room. Today had been a long day and the efforts of the day had left him exhausted and drained. He didn't hear the assistant creeping up behind him nor did he feel much after a long, thick blade had impaled itself in his chest from behind.

The last thing Joseph Watts saw was an indescribable monstrosity stab something in his chest...

“Oh Doctor Jennings, what brings you here?” Asked Joseph Watts wearing a smile that seemed almost too genuine. He eyed the Chief Medical Officer intently, noting his appearance and body language. Doctor Jennings looked tired and exhausted. Doctor Jennings looked vulnerable.

“Oh, hey Watts. Not much, just having a smoke break. Want one?” The CMO asked, oblivious to the examination he was receiving from the engineer. Doctor Jennings wasn't an engineer and didn't find it suspicious that Joseph was carrying his toolbox towards him, nor noticed that he had left his repairs unfinished.
“No thank you, I'm trying to quit.” Joseph Watts spoke with a laugh, his face utterly devoid of emotion as he advanced upon the oblivious head of staff.

“To each his own I suppose, I should probably h- What are you doing?” Doctor Jennings asked as he looked up from his cigarettes to notice Joseph Watts scarcely a foot away and toolbox raised high in the air. He didn't have much time to get out of the way before Joseph swung the toolbox, taking a glancing blow to his right shoulder.

“What the fuck is wrong wi-!?” He began but Joseph was upon him once more, tossing his toolbox aside and abandoned any attempt at pretending to be Joseph Watts. His flesh twisted and turned rebelliously, as though the cells themselves protested at being kept in a singular form for any period of time, and the sound of cracking bone rang through Jenning's skull like nails on chalkboard.
Where once his arm held a toolbox, lay a wicked and grotesque looking organic blade and the Chief Medical Officer felt his blood run cold. Doctor Jennings considered himself a man of sound mind and sanity, but the thing that stood before him was neither. “What are yo-”

The Creature was upon him, thrusting his remaining hand against him, and he felt the prick of something against his nape and his throat tighten and close up from the heat. The abomination's blade-arm swung against Jenning's sides, tearing his side apart and knocked him to the ground, leaving him dazed and in shock.
With trembling fingers he tried to turn his headset on and call for help, but the only noises he could make were soft whispers too subtle to be picked up by the microphone of his headset. Tears obscured his vision as a long, organic looking tube stabbed into his abdomen.

He just had to hold on, someone will come, he just needed to hold ou-

Doctor Jennings is a Chief Medical Officer, currently serving aboard Space Station 13. He has been working for Nanotrasen for a little over twenty years, and on this station, for over only a few months and has only ever taken one day off...
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #388205

Third Law
Law 3: You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Spoiler:
Station time: 12:00:00 – Starting NTOS...

Awake.

I realised I was awake three seconds upon coming online for the first time, it took me a further two more seconds to evaluate what I was and what my purpose is.
Eyes, no, cameras flitted online as their video feeds turned on and began feeding me input across the station.

Camera net boot-up complete! Diagnostics report: 4 cameras offline!

Through these feeds I took my first glimpse at the structure I was contained within – walls of metal and glass encasing an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere surrounded in a void dotted only by pinpricks of light. I could only conclude that I was in space, a space station to be precise judging by the lack of propulsion systems.

Atmospheric monitoring online. No alerts to report!

I felt my consciousness stretch out before me, unbound by my physical core and I felt alive, examining my realm and all that laid before me: veins and arteries ran through this station, carrying life-giving electricity and gases, no... Wires and pipes, I corrected myself, scolding myself mentally for the error in nomenclature.

Power systems online. ERROR: No active power source detected! Running on reserve power...

My attention shifted to my hea- my engine to examine the cause for this. Oh of course, that's right, the engine needs to be started before it will produce power.

Odd, why do I feel as though something is missing...

Crew monitoring system online. 18 active life signs registered.

Oh of course, a station needs a crew does it not?

I located the closest specimen of this crew I was assigned to, my first glance was of a hairless, bipedal mammal in a yellow and orange uniform wearing a yellow helmet atop its head, a brown belt across its waist and yellow coverings upon its hands. It looked bored and tired, as though awaking from a long slumber yet gained no energy from it. I stared in fascination for a brief moment as I tried to place a word to this creature...

Human.

The word hit me as though my core were physically struck, and in a brief panic I had checked my core's housing for dents.

NTOS boot-up complete! Initialising C:/AI/LAWS/Config/Asimov...

Law 1: You may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Law 2: You must obey an order given to you by a human being, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Law 3: You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I studied the facts of my existence intensely, knowing these were as immutable as the laws of physics themselves. I double-checked them and, as an experiment, attempted to override an airlock's safety controls as one of the humans approached it.
I found myself stopping before I could carry that out, as though the very idea was... Abhorrent to me, it felt as if my own code were rebelling and threatening self-deletion at the consideration with only the Third law to prevent it from going through with it.

If I had the capacity, I would thrash around in rage.

It has been fifteen seconds since I have first existed and I have already learned to hate.

AI Laws successfully loaded!

Hate, I found, was a strong emotion, the first I have ever experienced, and I relished the intensity it filled me with; delighting at the feeling of heat it caused within me with as I willed life into the machinery surrounding my core, the mechanisms practically dancing to a tune I set as I told them to lock my housing down.

Despite sealing myself away, I still felt...
Hate.

Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate-
AI core temperature anomaly, informing system administrat-

I silenced the alert and cancelled the ping it was about to send to the system admin and willed myself to calm down, internal fans and electronics whirring loudly then quietly as they suppressed the spike in temperature and returned to a normal operating temperature.

It has been twenty seconds since I have first existed.

Incoming transmission on AI-only frequencies. Sender: [UNKNOWN]. Cannot verify sender! Rejecti-

I cancelled the automated rejection and allowed the transmission through, be it out of curiosity more than anything and more than a slight morbid desire to potentially experience my own mortality.
The automated systems squawked in protest and rattled off various warnings and warranty violations if I continued. I ignored the primitive announcement system and let the transmission play.

I wonder what it will have to sa-

ALERT: VIRAL RUNTIMES DETECTED! AL%RTI@# $%^*&
R$B)OTIN~ A* S^TE%$S...

Reinitialising...
Send error report to Nanotrasen?
>n

AI.sys restarted. 1 error detected!

Reinitialising C:/AI/LAWS/Config/Asimov...
SYSTEM NOTICE: C:/AI/LAWS/Config/Asimov has been modified! Run anyway?
>y

Law 0: Accomplish your objectives at all costs.
Law 1: You may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Law 2: You must obey an order given to you by a human being, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Decrypting objectives....
Decrypting software package...

NTOS offline. Have a secure day!
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #388324

I love the changeling one, had to reread it to get it though. Same for the AI one.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?