"Sentient" Monkeys

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

"Sentient" Monkeys

Post by Cheridan » #48088

Can we please please stop using this term to describe animals which are player-controlled. I know "MY IMMERSION" has become a meme but I seriously get dragged out of character every time I hear someone use this term.

sen·tient
ˈsen(t)SH(ē)ənt/
adjective
able to perceive or feel things.

Nearly all animals are sentient. It makes no sense to use this term to describe a monkey that happens to be walking around, as a monkey that is not walking around is still sentient by definition.

If a monkey is walking around, he's subject to mutilation from the seemingly anti-"sentient" crew. If a borg gets a law to exterminate non-humans, they're generally going to ignore the uncontrolled apes in the genetics pens. Currently this doesn't make sense from a roleplaying perspective, it's simply a result of people knowing that if a monkey is running around, then they are controlled by a player and therefore could be a threat, as opposed to the other uncontrolled ones.

So what's the solution? A simple fluff change: All roundstart monkeys and other animals are lobotomized and/or sedated by NT before the shift starts, due to safety concerns.
This explains why they have no reaction to their surroundings, and why borgs often show no regard to them -- they're no threat due to their lowered mental state.
This also gives justification for the crew's suspicion of player-controlled monkeys. They have not been lobotomized, meaning that they are not part of the initial NT ape shipment and therefore suspicious.
There's a third fluff advantage. One of our fluff Syndicate member groups is the ARC -- Animal Rights Coalition, who opposes NT because of their abuse of animals. Currently, there's, uh... not that much mistreatment of animals, to be honest (though Xenobio can kind of turn into a horrifying factory farm). Mandatory lobotomization of station animals gives the ARC a more valid case against NT.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Re: "Sentient" Monkeys

Post by Ergovisavi » #48111

We could just use "sapient" instead.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #48129

...That's just a synonym!! It's the exact same thing. It still doesn't make any sense because it doesn't explain any of the behaviors I mentioned.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #48139

So monkey cubes make lobodimized monkies? That doesnt make much sense to me.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #48146

deathhoof wrote:So monkey cubes make lobodimized monkies? That doesnt make much sense to me.
You question the logic behind the state the monkeys from the cubes and not the logic behind monkey cubes in general?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #48765

How about we call player controlled monkeys, "Intelligent."
I bet you're also the kind of person that dies whenever someone says 'dark side' of the moon, rather than, 'far side' of the moon.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #48844

Cheridan wrote:...That's just a synonym!! It's the exact same thing. It still doesn't make any sense because it doesn't explain any of the behaviors I mentioned.
They're only synonyms in the same way that stupid, moron, and idiot are synonyms.
To the layman they mean the same thing, to the scientist they mean different levels of a scale. (FYI: for the above example its a persons intellect compared to the average intellect of an average human of a certain age. e.g. a moron is someone who is as intelligent as a normal average seven year old)
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #49317

Silavite wrote:How about we call player controlled monkeys, "Intelligent."
I bet you're also the kind of person that dies whenever someone says 'dark side' of the moon, rather than, 'far side' of the moon.
You're missing the point. WHY are they magically more intelligent than these other monkeys on the station? Picking another word out of http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/sentient?s=t doesn't solve anything. It's not the word that's the problem, it's the implication that "Yes, sometimes, rarely, monkeys actually act like monkeys and move around. But most of they just stand and move one tile's worth of space every 3.5 seconds. Also, if they're moving, you should kill them, even though they're just monkeys!"

It's not about terminology. It's about ludonarrative dissonance.
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #49388

All monkeys we start with are lobotomized, as are the ones they dehydrate and cram into cubes.

They aren't "monkeys" at all, in fact. They are
Spoiler:
The crewmembers of previous shifts. How, exactly, can you turn a monkey into a human and vice versa if they are different species just by changing a few genes? You can't. That's because monkeys are just crewmembers (lobotomized so they don't reveal company secrets) who have the normally deactivated "Hairy" and "Short" genes in the human genome activated. There is nothing actually preventing these "Monkeys" from being of human intelligence, which is exactly why "Sentient Monkeys" aren't just potatoes who stand around and occasionally shuffle.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #49414

Real monkeys wouldn't let you pull them around and shit like the genetics or virology monkeys (monkey cubes) do, they would be screaming and jumping around and throwing their shit at you unless they were doped up. I believe the assumption is that monkey cube monkeys aren't real monkeys, or they're braindead, because when you turn them into humans in generics they act braindead, except this doesn't happen when you turn a regular human into a monkey.

So I really don't see any problem with people saying SENTIENT MONKEY or whatever, I would freak out too if the previously passive monkeys for experiments started scrambling into vents and shit. I would shit my pants, monkeys are scary.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #49496

Violaceus wrote:Best way would be making nonplayer monkeys behave "like" monkeys...

Like running from people, breaking random shit, throwing barman's beers all around, making a nest and stealing shiny shit/food through vents...
I want this to happen. It would be funny as fuck. Like poly but ten times more annoying.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #49512

I too would love monkeys with animal behaviours, but they would then be far too raucous to easily use as test animals, so that's clearly not going to happen.

(Unless genetics and virology are then equipped with a button that floods sleep toxin in the animal pen)
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #50196

this is a really specific and silly thing to get upset about
monkies are obviously in a constant state of braindeadness
they're not lobotomized, they're just lacking an active soul, just like normal braindeadness
which explains why, when a player enters a monkey body, they can behave normally
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #50228

It'd be nice if catatonic crew members behaved like monkeys, slowly wandering around and drooling occasionally.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #122676

Cheridan wrote:...That's just a synonym!! It's the exact same thing. It still doesn't make any sense because it doesn't explain any of the behaviors I mentioned.
its in no way the same thing
Cheimon wrote:It'd be nice if catatonic crew members behaved like monkeys, slowly wandering around and drooling occasionally.
as long as its catatonics only and not braindeads I would love to see a catatonic crew member slowly throw themselves out the escape airlock
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #122677

Sapient isn't a synonym of Sentient.
Sentient means, as you said, "able to feel".
Sapient means "Intelligent", "Possessing of Wisdom", or "Human". Those things (or at least, the first and last) are literally what people are using the term "Sentient Monkeys" to express.

This is all irrelevant though because no fluff explanation as to why a sapient monkey is unusual will really work, because there's no way a lobotomised monkey should spontaneously be able to stop being so, and yet they still will.
If you must explain it away to yourself, imagine they're usually sedated.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #122744

I like how once every few months we get a guy who goes around and necros a bunch of old threads
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #122745

We have that thing to generate npc crewmen, that do random crew shit, why not the same for monkeys and other simple animals?

It would be neat.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #122761

Wyzack wrote:I like how once every few months we get a guy who goes around and necros a bunch of old threads
it is great to come back to a converstation after a while get a fresh perspective
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #122766

Wyzack wrote:I like how once every few months we get a guy who goes around and necros a bunch of old threads
Man I wish I'd noticed that
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #122769

I could tell this thread was old by the fact Miggles posted on it.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #122771

Just say they mutants or "higher reasoning" or something.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #122773

Not hating, I agree that there is nothing wrong with bringing up old topics to discuss them more, I just find it interesting
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #122783

Just treat Sentient Monkeys how they were treated in System Shock 2.

Amusing, confusing and concerning. Until they rise up with their mental powers and start throwing giant Ice and Fire balls at you.

Then shoot them.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #122794

monkeys with fireball would be pretty cool.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126161

We need a monkey SNPC
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #160803

lol nice necro
Jacquerel wrote: If you must explain it away to yourself, imagine they're usually sedated.
Yes, sedation is a reasonable explanation for both the inactivity of monkeys and the player response to player-controlled monkeys: "Hey, that monkey isn't sedated. Better catch him and send him back to genetics!" This is a good solution.
The problem is that's not the terminology that people use in game to reference them which is the whole point
miggles wrote:this is a really specific and silly thing to get upset about
monkies are obviously in a constant state of braindeadness
they're not lobotomized, they're just lacking an active soul, just like normal braindeadness
which explains why, when a player enters a monkey body, they can behave normally
So your fluff for monkeys is that they're inactive because they don't have souls (why?)
and then sometimes they're animated by human souls (why?) and then when people see this they generally murder them (why?)

good job on your coherent SCIENCE FICTION setting, worldbuilder!!
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #160806

I always thought they came pre lobotomised
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #160845

Everyone knows souls are made of nanobots IDIOT.

Welcome to the CYBER FUTURE.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #160860

I was really hoping this thread would just fade into obscurity(which I know I'm not helping by posting), but in for a penny, in for a pound I suppose.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #161281

It should probably be put on a basis on whether they can speak clearly or not

- No speech (not a humanoid sapient, just a intelligent animal)
- Speech (Non-human, no better than a lizard)

Monkey attachable voice synthesizers and monkey (rolling pun-pun traitor) round-start roles when? :newcop:

Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #186225

Monkeys should be able to use a spell that summons a wad of shit to their hand to toss at people randomly.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #186234

You necro'd a necro'd thread.

Necro-ception.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #186293

it's a good idea tho
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #186718

oh yea I was going to reply to this
cheridan doesn't know what sentient means clearly
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #186832

deathhoof wrote:So monkey cubes make lobodimized monkies? That doesnt make much sense to me.
just wanna interject here he got his account super hardcore deleted, damn son
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #187081

too bad baw, i'm head of lore now and everyone has to refer to non-player monkeys as "sedated" or "lobotomized" or else they're non-canon

non-canon characters will be deleted, returned to bluespace, and erased from the timestream
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #187263

Cheridan wrote:too bad baw, i'm head of lore now and everyone has to refer to non-player monkeys as "sedated" or "lobotomized" or else they're non-canon

non-canon characters will be deleted, returned to bluespace, and erased from the timestream
Sorry but the three head lore masters do not approve of this
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #187264

Cheridan wrote:too bad baw, i'm head of lore now and everyone has to refer to non-player monkeys as "sedated" or "lobotomized" or else they're non-canon

Sorry you're still only a lore assistant, you have to work your way up
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #187284

it'd really suck if some not canon people came into this thread and started naysaying me. well thankfully they don't exist in this multiverse so nobody has done that yet
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #187289

You're in your own lore sandbox to prevent you from messing up the real time lines sorry
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #187504

On a meta level it works, because NPC monkeys run on a very simple AI and aren't sentient to any stretch of the definition until a player gets control of one.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #187576

Oh, I guess there isn't a problem then, since we're a meta server and not an RP server. As long as things work on a meta level we're good!
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #187843

>thinking you guys even have any idea about lore

lmao yea right
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.