Why is technology so backwards if it's 2557?

I cast magic missile at the darkness
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Re: Why is technology so backwards if it's 2557?

Post by pugie » #569774

Bottom post of the previous page:

We do actually have phones but the only contact on them is the Bogdanoffs.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #569856

why is space cold
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569867

if the universe is so big, why won't it fight me
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #569890

oranges wrote:why is space cold
our space is a bit over-exaggerated but it isn't like space ISN'T cold it will sap your heat
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #569985

>step into space
>the suction of an infinite vacuum doesnt leave me with permanent debilitating injuries that drive my spaceman to suicide after suffering through them for many years
this game is such bullshit
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #570006

I want miners to get the benz
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #570012

why do people fall over in space
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571434

PKPenguin321 wrote:
>step into space
>the suction of an infinite vacuum doesnt leave me with permanent debilitating injuries that drive my spaceman to suicide after suffering through them for many years
this game is such bullshit
I've always interpreted the more forgiving approach to space two ways:
1. Humans are inherently genetically modified to be a bit space-adapted as a general survivability and liveability thing since most people live in space stations
2. We're close enough to Lavaland that we're actually in thin atmosphere rather than true vacuum

Second one could explain the massive pressure in Lavaland - it's all gravitation and it's a really dense planet, with the Earth-like gravity of the station being generated simply by proximity. Ignore that we have a gravity generator that can be broken in most maps, oops.
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #571880

time dilation.
NT left earth at almost the speed of light and so by the time they were done getting as far away from earth and sol gov as possible it's 2557 even though they left during the later part of the 21st century
Sol gov is probably waaaay more advanced
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571883

In all seriousness, the answers to every question are either 'retro futurism' or 'game balance'. The former has stumbled a bit due to the game's open source nature, but it still remains a general guiding principle.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #572051

Sheodir wrote:In all seriousness, the answers to every question are either 'retro futurism' or 'game balance'. The former has stumbled a bit due to the game's open source nature, but it still remains a general guiding principle.
True from a design perspectice, but a lot less fun.

Speaking of which, hydroponically grown wood-fungus that can reach maturity in minutes has made paper incredibly cheap to manufacture. Paper recycling has been abolished, resulting in mass dumping of old magazines, shredded forms and cult texts on primordial planets. Ash-lizards seek revenge on the spacemen not for mining their rocks, but for crushing their friends underneath astronomically huge meteors made of compacted paper waste.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #572449

It's also easier to base items on things that exist already than invent new ones. Fire extinguishers look like they were made in 1997 and it's questionable if they'd even be necessary five centuries in the future. No one seems to believe me but I picked the date in like 2012 when making the dates in-game consistent between multiple inconsistent dates and just picked the one furthest out so the science could be as magical as it needed to be. This was when I added the date to the PDA. If I were making the choice now I would've picked something a bit closer.
NSFW:

Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #576382

cacogen wrote:It's also easier to base items on things that exist already than invent new ones. Fire extinguishers look like they were made in 1997 and it's questionable if they'd even be necessary five centuries in the future. No one seems to believe me but I picked the date in like 2012 when making the dates in-game consistent between multiple inconsistent dates and just picked the one furthest out so the science could be as magical as it needed to be. This was when I added the date to the PDA. If I were making the choice now I would've picked something a bit closer.
Wait were you some head honcho coder back then or what
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #577866

TOUCH FUZZY
GET DIZZY

WEAR OUT SWEATER
BECOMES NAKED

PUTS ON HOOD
KILLS IN THE DARK
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #578207

Tarchonvaagh wrote: Wait were you some head honcho coder back then or what
yeah i was tough and cool. this was back in 2012 i think when the move to github from google code was very recent and the github was significantly slower than it is now and the amount of non-maintainers/contributors was almost none and no one cared about a trivial change like that. it was in service to in-game consistency of year and the type of minor detail only i cared about. i guess the point of me talking about it like anyone cares is that the year was an arbitrary choice between the multiple in-game years at that time and could be changed easily if it's considered too futuristic
NSFW:

Phaseus
Byond Username: Phaseu

Post by Phaseus » #658177

Anonmare wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:11 amBudget cuts
This is undoubtedly the main point I've considered towards NT in general.
Centcom itsel;f is impenetrable. The walls are made of [redacted]. The deathsquad barracks is full of hyper-powered tools that rival the syndicate.
Whatever Nanotrasen does outside of space stations, it has the firepower of an intergalactic military.

Your station means nothing. Its reconstruction is a small payment to the lowest bidder.
For gods sakes, we've been 'researching' plasma for decades!
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #658190

oranges wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:21 am why is space cold
you are actually inside of a massive gas giant, dont let the corporate overlords tell you otherwise
Weston Echard on Sybil
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #658341

ss13 is vibes based. it vibes.
you fucks keep messing it up
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #658353

Were the stairs to mining on Icebox and tram removed or what
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #658357

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:30 pm Were the stairs to mining on Icebox and tram removed or what
This thread's OP was made over a year before Icebox and two years before Tram, my good fellow.
► Show Spoiler
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #663693

APC consoles fry any computer more advanced than a PDA unless it's bulked out with shielding. So you can either have cell phones or free and reliable power transmission. That's my headcanon anyways.
As for other technologies, I always assumed that the really advanced technologies are kept well the fuck away from SS13. Cloning, Nanites, Buckshot, it's all still out there, NT just stopped trusting the mental cases on the station with it. They only give us the really really dangerous technologies like the SM that no one else is crazy enough to touch, or the stuff thats safe enough not to worry about, like defibs or fire extinguishers. Once a technology has been explored to its fullest, or if someone does something exceptionally fucked with it, NT pulls it from the station and either shelves it or releases it as a product. That's why you can find those healing nanites or buckshot in the wild.