Why is technology so backwards if it's 2557?

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Why is technology so backwards if it's 2557?

Post by Farquaar » #482646

Give your reasons for why a high-tech science station over 500 years in the future still uses:
  • Wood pulp-based paper (We don't have holographic reading devices and whatnot? Who still has filing cabinets in the year 2557?)
    Clunky PDAs straight out of the 1990s
    Syringes (especially since actual hyposprays are probably going to come out in the next decade or two)
    Non-replicated food (They can't make this taste good yet?)
    Unsynthesized meat (Why waste energy on raising animals at all?)
    Invasive surgeries that use 500 year old surgical tools (Especially with respect to appendix removal. You're telling me we don't have a pill for that now?)
    Bulky space suits surplus from the last Apollo mission
    500 year old shotguns (Where's my Mass Effect style infinite ammo?)
    Bulletproof vests that are incredibly bulky but still don't stop bullets (Heck, they don't even bend forks)
    Station hulls that get wrecked by the smallest of explosions (Welder fuel can't melt steel beams)
    No stairs
One could be lazy and say that there was an apocalyptic event in the 2300's that brought humanity back to the Victorian ages, and that people only began rediscovering modern 2019 technologies in the mid 2400s with progress has been steady since then, but I say that's boring. Tell me /tg/station, why would these backwards technologies still be used in the year 2557?
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Why is technology so backwards if it's 2557?

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #482696

Nanotrasen is a cold and callous corporation. We're lucky they remember to stock the station with oxygen before every shift.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #482730

Budget cuts
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #482785

2D SPESS
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #482791

did you not notice how the pda messages are sent to your mind?
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Post by Nalzul » #482844

spessmans still use floppies, it's like how older movies about spess are
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #482848

because it's set in the present
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #482851

the year 2557 is actually 2020, they're just using a futuristic calendar that has less days in a year because it's cheaper to print
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #483009

It's set in an corporatocratic future. Depending on when the corporations took hold of government in history, said corporations would be able to engineer regulations in a way to prevent new technology and competitions from reaching the mass market by making their competition unable to operate.
Without the threat of new technology usurping their products, the corporations could focus on reducing production costs and creating artificial demand by manufacturing products with extreme planned obsolescency- not in the sense that things go out of date, but that everything is disposable-quality and breaks easily. Basically, imagine if McDonalds ruled the world/space for 300 years. The McChicken wouldn't get any better.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #483013

we have space wizards and youre asking about why there are PDAs?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #483152

I'd imagine costs. Definitely cheaper to make a flimsy station than a durable one. PDAs are literally 50 year old technology, probably costs pennies per crew member. My main question is about the single function consoles, a step backward from modern day
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #483156

What the fuck happened to phones
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #483159

Shadowflame909 wrote:What the fuck happened to phones
real talk tho they didnt exist. the game doesnt share a timeline with irl
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #483165

PKPenguin321 wrote:

You right

A shapeshifting Twitch Streamer would make a lot of money

Maybe they'd be doing a Changeling Stunts IRL challenge
► Show Spoiler
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #483175

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Attachments
phone.png
phone.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 21876 times
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #483229

Sci-fi tropes give a skewed view of what technological advancement looks like, that's why there's so many illustrations and movies that show how in the year 2000 there would be flying cars and laser guns. Paper's been around for millennia and that's not going to change anytime soon even though we already have tablets.

Also it's 2019 and some people are still using faxes
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #483241

Emp tho
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #483258

SpaceManiac wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Cell phones i mean
Spoiler:
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #483348

PKPenguin321 wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Cell phones i mean
that's just because nobody has coded them yet.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
MGP
Byond Username: PME

Post by MGP » #483377

For some, balance. For others, lack of coders who care about immersion and roleplaying. The "budget cuts" meme makes no sense. Nanotrasen and the Syndicate are in a hyper competitive environment, a state of protracted total war. Cutting the budget to your ultra secret research station under such circumstances is frankly, fucking retarded. Imagine the USA giving Project Manhattan a measly one hundred thousand dollars for a real world equivalent. No mega corp with its own existence on the line could possibly be so incompetent to skimp on costs associated with projects like SS13, otherwise their destruction would have occurred ages ago. Similarly the idea that there is some sort of monopoly that makes innovation impossible is also wrong. For one there isn't even a monopoly, there are multiple other factions that are competing with NT at any given time. Most obviously the Syndicate, but there are also the Space Wizards, Space Ninjas, Cultists, etc. Then you consider that apparently these organizations have entirely different economic models than NT (I point to the Derelict as proof of this) and you realize that Vatznick's argument makes no sense at all. So yeah. No. There is no good IC reason for stupid anachronisms.

A few of those things could and should be changed without messing with the balance too much. PDA's could be replaced with cell phones without messing with things too much. It shouldn't be too hard to code. Just set up a private channel on a vacant frequency for the duration of the phone call. Phone in hand to use and if it's dropped the call ends. Various "apps" for other functionality.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #483416

MGP wrote:For some, balance. For others, lack of coders who care about immersion and roleplaying. The "budget cuts" meme makes no sense. Nanotrasen and the Syndicate are in a hyper competitive environment, a state of protracted total war. Cutting the budget to your ultra secret research station under such circumstances is frankly, fucking retarded. Imagine the USA giving Project Manhattan a measly one hundred thousand dollars for a real world equivalent. No mega corp with its own existence on the line could possibly be so incompetent to skimp on costs associated with projects like SS13, otherwise their destruction would have occurred ages ago. Similarly the idea that there is some sort of monopoly that makes innovation impossible is also wrong. For one there isn't even a monopoly, there are multiple other factions that are competing with NT at any given time. Most obviously the Syndicate, but there are also the Space Wizards, Space Ninjas, Cultists, etc. Then you consider that apparently these organizations have entirely different economic models than NT (I point to the Derelict as proof of this) and you realize that Vatznick's argument makes no sense at all. So yeah. No. There is no good IC reason for stupid anachronisms.

A few of those things could and should be changed without messing with the balance too much. PDA's could be replaced with cell phones without messing with things too much. It shouldn't be too hard to code. Just set up a private channel on a vacant frequency for the duration of the phone call. Phone in hand to use and if it's dropped the call ends. Various "apps" for other functionality.
just puked in my mouth, newfriends need to be killed
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #483455

PKPenguin321 wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Cell phones i mean
what tower do you think the cell phones are gonna bounce off of?

radios are more practical on a space station, and if you need to talk directly to someone then theres always PDAs or holocalls
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #483468

MGP wrote:For some, balance. For others, lack of coders who care about immersion and roleplaying. The "budget cuts" meme makes no sense. Nanotrasen and the Syndicate are in a hyper competitive environment, a state of protracted total war. Cutting the budget to your ultra secret research station under such circumstances is frankly, fucking retarded. Imagine the USA giving Project Manhattan a measly one hundred thousand dollars for a real world equivalent. No mega corp with its own existence on the line could possibly be so incompetent to skimp on costs associated with projects like SS13, otherwise their destruction would have occurred ages ago. Similarly the idea that there is some sort of monopoly that makes innovation impossible is also wrong. For one there isn't even a monopoly, there are multiple other factions that are competing with NT at any given time. Most obviously the Syndicate, but there are also the Space Wizards, Space Ninjas, Cultists, etc. Then you consider that apparently these organizations have entirely different economic models than NT (I point to the Derelict as proof of this) and you realize that Vatznick's argument makes no sense at all. So yeah. No. There is no good IC reason for stupid anachronisms.

Imagine missing the point this comically hard
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #483479

Also one pet peeve I have about overused sci-fi tropes: spacesuits are so bulky for very important reasons as they need many layers of materials to protect against the many dangers of space: pressure, temperature (once you can insulate enough against the cold of space you also need to make sure the person inside doesn't overheat), debris, radiation. You also need life support, ventilation, communication equipment and all that jazz.

Same applies to body armor, if you want to stop stronger bullets you need more bulk.

You can throw out all realism and creativity and just go with MAGIC SPACE MATERIALS THAT JUST WORK but that's stupid and lazy
Be nice to each other.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #483494

I get it mickyan but i also wish we had skintight retro 50s pulp scifi sexy spacesuits with bubble helmets and thigh high spaceboots
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #483496

BeeSting12 wrote: what tower do you think the cell phones are gonna bounce off of?
The same one centcomm uses to talk into our headsets across the z-levels

Also sattelites
► Show Spoiler
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #483500

Lifeweb has fucking rotary phones and they are HELL to use, and to find people's number. never add phones, ever. station bounced radios are phone enough.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #483504

I just realized
Spacemen don’t build stairs because they can’t bend their legs
They just slide around on their feet at high speeds, likely using flatulence as propulsion
► Show Spoiler
MGP
Byond Username: PME

Post by MGP » #483512

Mickyan wrote:Also one pet peeve I have about overused sci-fi tropes: spacesuits are so bulky for very important reasons as they need many layers of materials to protect against the many dangers of space: pressure, temperature (once you can insulate enough against the cold of space you also need to make sure the person inside doesn't overheat), debris, radiation. You also need life support, ventilation, communication equipment and all that jazz.

Same applies to body armor, if you want to stop stronger bullets you need more bulk.

You can throw out all realism and creativity and just go with MAGIC SPACE MATERIALS THAT JUST WORK but that's stupid and lazy
Shh.

https://everydayastronaut.com/up-close- ... pace-suit/
IkeTG wrote: Imagine missing the point this comically hard
I am autistic and that post seemed more interesting to make then to construct some retarded loopy IC explanation for the coders lack of care about RP.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #483514

This is not an EVA suit. It's for use inside a spacecraft.
Be nice to each other.
nullbear
Byond Username: Nullbear

Post by nullbear » #483556

SS13 is part of the retrofi genre. It's scifi as envisioned in the early 1900's. Most of ss13's references are to scifi movies of the 1950's - 1990's, when phones werent popular, crt's were, and pda's were the height of portable computing. This isn't a new thing, and its popular in newer AAA games as well. A core part of the genre is analogue computers, as opposed to digital.

The opposite end would be cyberpunk, where digital technology is more popular than analog, and there is a focus on advanced/integrated tech.

where: retrofi captures the feeling of old scifi/horror much better, and the limitations of the technology make it more intimate and urgent,
cyberpunk captures the feeling of newer scifi/adventure, and the 'ease' of the technology makes it more relaxed and integrated.

typically more thought and effort goes into retrofi and work goes into planning how technology actually WORKS, where a LOT of cyberpunk is "i dont know how it works, it just does. Like an app on your phone." and comes off as more "sci-fantasy".

It's the difference between having to manually calculate and program nav coordinates into an autopilot, and saying "siri, drive to work." in your self-driving-car. Or the difference between having to jury-rig your power supply to route your dwindling energy reserves to shields, versus pressing a button and shouting "route all remaining power to shields!"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #483600

nullbear wrote:SS13 is part of the retrofi genre. It's scifi as envisioned in the early 1900's. Most of ss13's references are to scifi movies of the 1950's - 1990's, when phones werent popular, crt's were, and pda's were the height of portable computing. This isn't a new thing, and its popular in newer AAA games as well. A core part of the genre is analogue computers, as opposed to digital.

The opposite end would be cyberpunk, where digital technology is more popular than analog, and there is a focus on advanced/integrated tech.

where: retrofi captures the feeling of old scifi/horror much better, and the limitations of the technology make it more intimate and urgent,
cyberpunk captures the feeling of newer scifi/adventure, and the 'ease' of the technology makes it more relaxed and integrated.

typically more thought and effort goes into retrofi and work goes into planning how technology actually WORKS, where a LOT of cyberpunk is "i dont know how it works, it just does. Like an app on your phone." and comes off as more "sci-fantasy".

It's the difference between having to manually calculate and program nav coordinates into an autopilot, and saying "siri, drive to work." in your self-driving-car. Or the difference between having to jury-rig your power supply to route your dwindling energy reserves to shields, versus pressing a button and shouting "route all remaining power to shields!"
huge ups to this, this is definitely why. the whole retrofi (or retro-future or whatever you want to call it) is largely the aesthetic of the game
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #483611

ok then
How do we have artifical Intelligence with no satellite
where is this wee-fi coming from!?!
► Show Spoiler
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #483629

Farquaar wrote:I just realized
They just slide around on their feet at high speeds, likely using flatulence as propulsion
I liked this until the final sentence fragment
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #483658

I think the greatest example of retrofi in recent memory is Alien: Isolation, everything looks like it's slightly outdated but functional and cost efficient
Be nice to each other.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #483834

confused rock wrote:
Farquaar wrote:I just realized
I liked this until the final sentence fragment
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Just think of your average shift on Goonstation.
alltomorrows.png
► Show Spoiler
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #484200

Another decent retrofi example is "Event[0]"
Edit: "Soma", "Bioshock", "Fallout", and "Sealab 2020" also come to mind. Though Sealab 2020 is set in next year so... (Hey im sure it was considered far future when it was released)
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #484201

Farquaar wrote: 500 year old shotguns (Where's my Mass Effect style infinite ammo?)
Actually like 700 year old shotguns.

Anywho, as to why are they still using gunpowder, it's cause chemical propellants are pretty efficient when it comes to firearms. It's entirely possible that by 2550s we haven't developed an energy weapon that's remotely as efficient as gunpowder. In the game you a handful of shots out of an energy weapon before a lengthy recharge. Lengthy compared to swapping a mag.

The real question is why would they have a shotgun at all, esp a pump shotgun. They're neat but shotguns aren't super reliable, even a pump is easy to foul up and jam if you're trying to shoot under pressure. Today in 2019 they aren't even that cheap unless you get a crappy shotgun. A mossberg 500 is kind of the standard, good pump action and it's like 300$. You can get an AR15 for like 350-400$ these days if you catch a good sale. There's not a lot of reason to pick a shotgun over a rifle(unless you just prefer a shotgun over a rifle, then more power to you). The price difference isn't even enough if you're a super cheap space mega corp. Armory needs to be stocked with disablers and 556 rifles.
--Crocodillo

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #484288

1. It's retro-futuristic
2. The date is completely arbitrary
Spoiler:
Way back when the date was added to the PDA there were like four different in-game years used across the various computers (e.g. mech logs) and to introduce consistency the one set 540 years in the future was picked because it was the latest (and therefore the existence of the more magical technology was more plausible). It (probably, given some of the stuff is deliberately retro) should've been an earlier date than what it is, and absolutely anyone could change it which would probably cause a furore even though to my knowledge it's completely cosmetic.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #484295

Super Aggro Crag wrote:I get it mickyan but i also wish we had skintight retro 50s pulp scifi sexy spacesuits with bubble helmets and thigh high spaceboots
We pretty much do have thigh-high spaceboots. Sexy sexy orange magboots. Those things are fucking thicc.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #484433

MGP wrote:For some, balance. For others, lack of coders who care about immersion and roleplaying. The "budget cuts" meme makes no sense. Nanotrasen and the Syndicate are in a hyper competitive environment, a state of protracted total war. Cutting the budget to your ultra secret research station under such circumstances is frankly, fucking retarded.
you're implying that ss13 isn't purposefully a metal death trap and isn't purposefully advertised as a top research station to draw heat away from everything else
why would they hire literal psychopaths or incompetent people to do their job on their station
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #485520

I've always liked the idea of a Space Dark Ages.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #569251

Necro. I'm bored.

PDA's are cheap to make. Phone's would be fkn useless in space without a proper satellite network, the PDA's are designed to operate on a 'station intranet' hosted by the company, and do quite well at that. This, paired with Stationwide Radio/Intercom, further makes phones redundant. PDA lets you transmit text-messages, like emails, on the station intranet, pointless OOC considering radios and PDA's both technically send "text", but IC'ly, it would be similar to sending a departmental email. Now, the big reason i think PDA's would be going strong, is their moddability (on top of their durable/ruggedness, and infinite battery-life). The PDA's appear to be designed similarly to an old-gameboy color, with a slot for a cartridge (or two) that can be used to vastly expand the functionality of the device in ways a phone might not be able to. Sure, apps exist for phones. But PDA cartridges can scan reagents and detect air pressure. What's to say you couldn't get a PDA cartridge that also functions as a stungun, or as a breathalyzer? I'm sure phone's could/would exist in the SS13 setting on Earth, or more globalized communities, but in a tight-knit corporatized space, a secure corporate intranet wins over a global and open internet.

Syringes are cheaper and easier to manufacture, and can be used for more than just flesh. What's REALLY weird is that they're not single-use syringes. Fkn nasty. THAT is budget cuts and safety oversights.

Replicated and Synthesized meat exist and are quite prevalent, but they just don't quite 'hit' the same. For some people, it might literally just be about pride for 'the old world', and 'real' meat. Hell, we have those today, even, with all these people hating on vegan meat substitutes just because. This is in the same vein as 500 year old shotguns. "Muh collector's item."
I DO have a collection of various e-weaponry sprited though, if anyone wants to code it.

We have stairs. They just suck. It looks like stairs don't do well in zero-G IRL either.

On station hulls, I've personally theorized that most stuff in space would be manufactured from ceramic composites rather than steel. It's typically lighter and harder, not to mention much more available. Silicon Nitride comes to mind. (Asteroid + Gas Giant Scooping + Solar Panels = Hardened Plates that can be spark sintered in a vacuum without gas welders) Ceramic is hard, but would tend to 'shatter' rather than dent or bend.

Budget cuts, and space-gear. Simpler equipment that can be 'printed' on-site with an autolathe would be preferred over complex equipment. Simpler equipment with less materials and moving parts would be easier to recycle on-site, and easier to replace if it were damaged, as opposed to something that might require a full manufacturing plant to produce, before being shipped in specially.

Finally, it's to fit in with the whole retro-scifi-horror aesthetic that SS13 clings to.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #569386

you could have just said the bottom sentence
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #569483

its a simple marketing tecnique, why sell high tech shit when you can slowly sell things with yearly small changes releases (like apple and i phones)?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #569597

just easier to add content and art based on existing technology and that date wasn't picked until way later
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #569618

2557 is in Islamic calendar and that leaves some “uh oh” implications considering state of technology and lack of presence of some particular items we use irl

ever wondered why is there no pork in ss13? now you know.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #569654

It's actually 2560.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #569774

We do actually have phones but the only contact on them is the Bogdanoffs.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #569856

why is space cold