Delete on death characters (idk cant think of a name)

I cast magic missile at the darkness
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Delete on death characters (idk cant think of a name)

Post by wesoda25 » #524627

tldr: Play a character until it dies or is taken through other means, then make a new one and go on like that etc. Keep track and shit for an interesting story

Overview

Basically starting dec 1 I'm gonna start playing like this, idk for how long. I really was just gonna do it as a fun little mini project for myself, but I decided it'd be interesting if other people were involved so that a story of sorts could be crafted. I'll be keeping track on a word doc of my own, if you wanna join you gotta keep track of your own characters. Pictures are nice!

At the end of it all I might write a story or something, or just a brief overview of what happened. I think it'd be a sort of interesting showcase of what actually happens on tg.

Rules
Character Deletion Rules
A character must be deleted if any of the following occur:
- Body is completely removed with no chance of bringing them back
--- No one has cloning records saved on file at centcomm. If you can't possibly get back into a round, your character is dead.
--- Blood is not a valid means of returning someone to life. Unless you can somehow bug admins to become a pod person, no dice.
- If you exist as anything without a brain organ (so you're a simple animal, not a monkey or borg) that character is dead for good
Antag Rules
- Wizards are not counted. If you roll wiz, use a random name.
- If you stealthily complete your objectives with no one knowing the better, feel free to play that character again.
- If you are outed as an antag and escape, you must change your characters name, but can keep the body.
Character Rules
- You don't need to roleplay or maintain any specific personality traits (but if you do so its better)
- A character should have the same quirks at all times. You can use different quirks with a different character
- You can discontinue a character at any time, to be brought back later

yeah idk ill add more rules when i think of them, the point is to have fun with it

Basically idk if anyone will bite, but it'd be fun and interesting. I suppose if theres any legitimate interest a word doc could be made where everyone can add new characters and their history and stuff.
[this space reserved]
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Delete on death characters (idk cant think of a name)

Post by RaveRadbury » #524629

Roguelike characters, basically.

Sounds fun. Looking forward to this.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #524633

I've wanted Ironmode characters as an actual tracked gameplay mechanic and not simply a roleplay thing for awhile now. I'll set a reminder for Dec 1st to create another Houser brother. One question though, if the round ends with you dead and your body not on the shuttle, is that character dead permanently? Or are we assuming bodies/brains on the station z-level will be retrieved?
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #524645

Really just do what you find fun within the realm of reason. Its your story, so if its at least logical to a degree its fine. We're assuming that they could be retrieved by Nanotrasen, but I myself wouldn't put them immediately in next round. Depending the difficulty of finding the body I'll sit them out for an appropriate number of rounds and throw them back in when I think enough time has elapsed.
[this space reserved]
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #524736

wesoda25 wrote:-snip-.
If you do this and your character gets borgged or siliconed you should try to play that role next round. Maybe keep to one department for that character as well? (i.e. not a Mary Sue).

If you become a pod person and Im online I can keep the gimmick up for you :) happy to help interesting stuff like this happen!
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #524739

peoplearestrange wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:-snip-.
If you do this and your character gets borgged or siliconed you should try to play that role next round. Maybe keep to one department for that character as well? (i.e. not a Mary Sue).

If you become a pod person and Im online I can keep the gimmick up for you :) happy to help interesting stuff like this happen!
D'aaaw
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #524774

Pretty cool idea
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #526914

First day of this today, heres what I got during one round for my first character:
I'm just putting down what happened, I don't care enough to try and write well for this part. This guy is stranded, so I'll bring him back after a couple days.
[this space reserved]
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #526994

This is great! Keep at it! Will you play another character given you'll have to wait a few days for them to be rescued?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #527001

Yeah I made a second character that day, who was even less lucky than the first:
I'll just keep making new characters as I see fit. I'm still playing my static semi regularly though, and those rounds don't count towards it. I'll probably toss Guitar back in thursday or something, after the current character dies off or is stranded or whatever.
[this space reserved]
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #527007

i love this it's very wholesome please continue it

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #527047

copied your format

NSFW:

Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #527107

wesoda25 wrote:First day of this today, heres what I got during one round for my first character:
I'm just putting down what happened, I don't care enough to try and write well for this part. This guy is stranded, so I'll bring him back after a couple days.
haha, I was the miner that found you.

I might start this, but that's a maybe since I'll probably end up as a vampire or slime at some point.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #527391

yeah i just went as guitar and got ling and absorbed a ling and then got a shit ton of traitor gear and then got an emagged sec borg and then got a shit ton of emagged borgs and then killed off sec and then made the captain hand over the station and then killed some ERT squad members and then killed a ton of people on the shuttle and then got spaced
Spoiler:
guitar will return - honestly tempted to keep the name and just make him a intergalactic criminal, and use antag tokens to keep it going

ill wait a bit tho and my next characters will be a lot less murdery (still at first i only killed sec and people who came after me, i only RDMed people on the shuttle for the most part since the round was about to end).
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #527394

checkmate wesoda.

guitar is dead because lings impersonate crew before they get on station

you died before u even entered the round
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #527398

It checks out though shadowflame. Previously Guitar had his appearance changed in a rad storm - that Guitar did not appear here. We can assume a ling either stole his identity before hand, or adopted his original appearance. Either way, we have a ling in place of Guitar rampaging.

I actually really, really like the character of Guitar and wanna go in depth with him. I was initially joking above but lets go with the narrative of: a ling stole Guitar's identity before his experience on SS13, and is now wreaking havoc across the galaxy in his name. The real Guitar, who has an altered appearance (until I can get it back to normal icly) is now coming aboard the station, always fearful of the ling.

As for Guitar's beliefs, I need to provide a little background. Guitar is loosely based off a character in a book, who long story short hates white people and loves black people. I loved Guitar's character so much in the book because of how in depth the author went with him; he was flawed, but incredibly interesting and the reader could empathize with him at times. I wanted to adopt Guitar's attitude into SS13 by having him love the oppressed: assistants, and hate the oppressors: security and command. Its stupid and funny but so much better because of that.

Now the ling is rampaging across the galaxy, taking Guitar's twisted philosophy to the utmost heights: causeless massacre of security and command in a station. I made the mistake of killing some assistants in my most recent round, which for the sake of the story I'll discredit and never do again. Guitar himself I will still have strongly hate security, but by seeing the twisted version of himself he realized he had to step away from the cliff. I'm not certain where I'll go with his character; will I make him a pacifist? Allow him to be antag? I'm not certain. Thats the fun of the story I guess. I think for at least the first few rounds I'll have him lay low out of fear of the ling, and let his character develop naturally.
[this space reserved]
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #527780

wesoda25 wrote:I think for at least the first few rounds I'll have him lay low out of fear of the ling, and let his character develop naturally.
it was at that moment that an immovable rod directly targeted him ten seconds before the round ending as a revhead gets killed by the clown, causing no one to clone him. It's either that or he joined during an admin event round where the event is meteors: the gamemode

Good luck however I feel like developing permadeath characters rp-wise is a fucking nightmare. It sounds like if you made a lot of progress in something then you fucked up and therefore all that progress is reset.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #528806

Exactly this. You will die from the stupidest bullshit, most of it completely out of your control and some of it admin curated.
And then you will constantly be asking yourself if you should accept the death and start anew, potentially losing a character you were doing rather well with. Or if you should bend "rule" after rule to preserve them in the event of such bullshit.

Much like most roguelikes, I assume.
It's an interesting idea though... Wouldn't be the first time it's been attempted though tbh.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Post by John_Gobbel » #530022

I will start doing this

But not with John.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #530033

i keep meaning to continue doing this
NSFW:

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #547251

Started doing this again, heres what I have for a character I like:
Spoiler:
still not bothering to write well, im more focused on logging stuff
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #547260

i like the floor writing
i'm going to steal that for WGW
NSFW:

Akrilla
Byond Username: Akrilla
Github Username: Akrilla

Post by Akrilla » #556452

I'd really love the idea of this being supported in code, but not sure how you'd handle the "deletion" part, since it's just a name and appearance. It kinda needs the player to actually commit to not using the name again.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #556479

you just ban that player from using that name and appearance
NSFW:

Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #557518

this thread got me to make this https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/50606 although this focuses a bit more on the challenge rather than just the character
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #557524

called rogue liku characters baby
► Show Spoiler
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #560322

Shadowflame909 wrote:called rogue liku characters baby
nice
Henriquekill9576
TGMC Lead
Byond Username: HenriqueKill9576

Post by Henriquekill9576 » #566415

a cool addition to this would be to try to do every single job and see how many times you had to make a new character
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #568047

i really liked this idea, and i decided to give it a try

i am afraid she won't live for a very long time if she keeps her job as a head of personnel
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #568094

jack anton killed me