"It's all about the plasma"

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: "It's all about the plasma"

Post by Ikarrus » #63157

Someone actually did an analysis for a hypothetical chemical makeup of plasma.

Long ago, hopefully not lost.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63160

Rumour has it started as a simulation of pure carbon as gas.
Hence why air alarms display "carbon molecules" (or used to?)
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #63200

it comes from Centration, the star the SS13 orbits.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #63214

Ikarrus wrote:Someone actually did an analysis for a hypothetical chemical makeup of plasma.

Long ago, hopefully not lost.
It was on this forum, so theoretically it exists still.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63216

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Juninho77
Byond Username: Juninho77

Post by Juninho77 » #63253

No way that shit would ever be mineralized. Alcohols (his suggestion) are organic compounds. We're in space, specifically to mine plasma, so it is reasonable to argue that plasma is inorganic. Even more so when you consider plasteel. If it were an organic compound, we'd just get a bunch of plants to mass produce it, like we do with... Ethanol.

Still, I find it somewhat childish that a civilization that can generate and control black holes to make use of their Hawking Radiation needs to go to an asteroid for plasma. Unless, of course, plasma is not being used for power.
Alive for 10 shifts and counting.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #63327

Plasma is used to collect that radiation somehow. Plasma also has some miraculous medical properties that seem to involve stabilizing the body against heat or cold, stopping tissue damage, or using both to regenerate the body.
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #63400

Juninho77 wrote:
No way that shit would ever be mineralized. Alcohols (his suggestion) are organic compounds. We're in space, specifically to mine plasma, so it is reasonable to argue that plasma is inorganic. Even more so when you consider plasteel. If it were an organic compound, we'd just get a bunch of plants to mass produce it, like we do with... Ethanol.

Still, I find it somewhat childish that a civilization that can generate and control black holes to make use of their Hawking Radiation needs to go to an asteroid for plasma. Unless, of course, plasma is not being used for power.
If I understand the engine somewhat correctly, it's a micro-singularity (it doesn't have it's own mass and needs mass to keep stable), fed by shooting particles - I wouldn't say it was a true blackhole in the sense of "collapsed star", and controlling it wouldn't take nearly as much energy, in comparison to a regular blackhole the energy required would be insignificant to mention. Although undoubtedly enough to power the station.

As for plasma it's not as far fetched as it sounds, tritium is the result of nuclear fusion, and as far as I know there is no organic method of tritium production. This means that plasma would have been formed in a former star - as it's mined from asteroids it can be assumed then that it's debris left over from a novae - I'd also go as far to say that the host star collapsed into a white dwarf and the remnants is what is mined OR the host star formed in a particularly mass heavy nebula, as space is black round the station and empty (as far as gas/dust particles are concerned), then it can be assumed that's after fusion reaction has kicked in on the host star. I'd also say it happened fairly recently considering the odds of being smashed to pieces by meteors, an event that occurs fairly frequently, meaning the system is still young and planets are still forming/early formed.

I'd refute the author's claim in his plasma thread that a gas giant could form tritium compound like plasma, or contain any sizable amount, as gas giants are mainly composed (you guessed it) gas - hydrogen/helium with trace metals. You need the intense pressures and fusion reactions of a star to produce elements heavier than hydrogen. It would also make sense to mine abundant sources of plasma rather than recreating it, as fusion is energy intense, and when you have freely compacted plasma that will 'melt' with ease and release energy without much effort, it becomes a no brainer. Pretty much in the same way as various fossil fuels are able to be made nowadays, but it's far more cost effective just to drill it from the ground.

tl;dr I can into autist too.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #63444

Plasma is made of magic and unicorn farts.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #63517

we're in a station where you can be cloned with just a fragment of your DNA or your blood using a floppy and you guys are complaining about plasma not being realistic
Juninho77
Byond Username: Juninho77

Post by Juninho77 » #63722

Comrade Leo wrote:If I understand the engine somewhat correctly, it's a micro-singularity (it doesn't have it's own mass and needs mass to keep stable), fed by shooting particles - I wouldn't say it was a true blackhole in the sense of "collapsed star", and controlling it wouldn't take nearly as much energy, in comparison to a regular blackhole the energy required would be insignificant to mention. Although undoubtedly enough to power the station..
Of all your points, there are two that bugged me. First, that a micro-singularity doesn't have mass. It needs to have mass to be a singularity, which in our context a point of infinite density. True, it loses energy (and thus mass) through Hawking Radiation, and it needs mass to be kept stable, but it does have its own mass.

The point about it being hard to control is not the amount of energy it requires, but how to control it. As far as I know, we can't quite control a black hole by placing a barrier around it: the barrier would just be swallowed.
Alive for 10 shifts and counting.
allura

Post by allura » #63773

the star didnt collapse.
ss13 orbits a star named Centration.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65843

Centration might be a spiritual successor to SS13, but the two games do not take place in the same canon. According to fluff, you can only find plasma in systems without a star, but that doesn't explain why the station has solar panels.

Anyway, plasma has a lot of very unique properties. First off, it generates an electrical current when exposed to radiation (although this breaks down the plasma itself). You can find it in certain species of slimes, and the local brand of xenomorph uses it in its metabolism. It can be smelted with iron to create an incredibly powerful alloy called plasteel, but it can also be combined with certain chemicals as a catalyst to create incredibly potent medicine. You can reforge its crystalline structure to create bluespace crystals. Finally, it burns exceptionally well, so it is a very potent source of conventional bombs.

Plasma is just our kind of unobtainium. Rather than look at the reasons why it has the properties it does, it's a better approach to assume those properties are valid and look at how they would affect the development of technologies at Nanotrasen and the universe it exists in.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #65856

Go away you non-autist. We don't want your kind round here, normy.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65936

Centration is a joke, even for a scam.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
allura

Post by allura » #66133

straight from exadv1's original backstory he wrote back in 2003
"Then one day Control and Command Station #13 in Sector 95-40A had found something around Tetran (a blue star). This something is hwta was called (by a sorta random name generator) Centration. "
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66696

allura wrote:straight from exadv1's original backstory he wrote back in 2003
"Then one day Control and Command Station #13 in Sector 95-40A had found something around Tetran (a blue star). This something is hwta was called (by a sorta random name generator) Centration. "
Well how was I supposed to know that, I got my first computer in 2003 and it didn't even have internet.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem