Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: does anyone even roleplay anymore on sybil

Post by Timbrewolf » #65804

Ikky linked to it before I could :(

You want better roleplaying? Then you want this.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #65815

By the way, thanks for the very insightful post, ausops. If you're still interested in talking though we can still do that (If we can ever be online at the same time)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Iceb3rg
Byond Username: Iceb3rg

Post by Iceb3rg » #66158

Personally, any chance the Lawyer has to RP, and sue for freedom is usually shutdown by security, and Borgs do an Okay job usually Roleplaying.
Just my opinion.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66163

I feel like Lawyer and Chaplain are two jobs that would work best when an admin is doing them and blurring the line a little. Or at least cooperating somehow.

Being able to talk to sec officers IC as a lawyer when they're actually fucking something up, with the ability to actually enforce that OOC behind them makes the lawyer make sense. Otherwise they just whine and hope someone in sec humors them. It's a job that hints at responsibilities and powers (overseeing sec, holding them accountable for abuses) that regular players just don't have.

Likewise a Chaplain as an IC recipient of prayers who is also able to reach behind the curtain and answer them for people who actually demonstrate the faith makes sense and gives them a purpose outside of cult rounds. IIRC Kor used to play as a Chaplain all the time. Wonder why?

TBH though I don't think anyone uses them this way. I don't, it feels a little too close to badminnery and I would want some kind of understanding and acceptance of that blurring between adminning and playing before anyone attempted to use either role like that. It would be using your adminpowers centered around your IC interactions and that's sacrilege.

But perhaps doing it in moderation, and the meta-knowledge that "Hey that lawyer might actually get me barred from playing sec if I act like shit, hey that chaplain might actually be able to grant my prayers and wishes" might get people to take them more seriously and roleplay with them more.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #66164

We could always go the Internal Affairs Agent route for the Lawyer. Give him his own direct link to Centcom that badmins could pay special attention to similar to the Captains Comms console. It might encourage people to take the Lawyers more seriously if they actually have a direct link to a higher authority.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #66165

If we did go the route of giving the Lawyer(Or a IA Officer) actual OOC and IC power, they would have to be heavily regulated as well as immune to being a round start antagonist (loyalty implants as well). They would also have to be held to a very high standard.

Right now Lawyers are simply a annoyance most of the time.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66173

As is if we need to badmin and yell at sec IC we do the ol' visiting Centcom Officer inspection routine.

Giving the average lawyer the ability to contact centcomm could work in cases where they're trying to ICly report shitcurity abuses. Kind of like how the Captain can call the ERT, the Lawyer can call the Officer?

After talking about the chaplain above it gave me an idea that might make the chaplain more important/interesting and improve/encourage more roleplay opportunities there.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #66546

An0n3 wrote:As is if we need to badmin and yell at sec IC we do the ol' visiting Centcom Officer inspection routine.

Giving the average lawyer the ability to contact centcomm could work in cases where they're trying to ICly report shitcurity abuses. Kind of like how the Captain can call the ERT, the Lawyer can call the Officer?

After talking about the chaplain above it gave me an idea that might make the chaplain more important/interesting and improve/encourage more roleplay opportunities there.
Three people should ideally have IC contact with admins, the captain, the chaplain, and the AI. I've done it with all three and I've found it to be very enjoyable and very useful into turning shit rounds into better rounds. I think it would be less immersion breaking if the AI were forced to do it through a console like the captain can, like maybe it gets its own coms console in its core it can use to make announcements when bridge is kill and give him some sort of "contact centcom" button on it. And possibly give the lawyers some form of console to do the same in their office, forcing inspections or something and making shitcurity and condoms actually accountable to someone if they refuse to shape up and admins want to keep it IC.

But yeah some chime or audio indication whenever a prayer is received on the admin's end would be ideal if you guys do manage to restrict prayers.
/vg/station Head Admin
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66666

The AI can use the same consoles that are available on the bridge.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #67479

Violaceus wrote:It depends on what means "roleplaying" at all.

I would like to see less:
- retarded names like Rob Ust or Ayl Mao or Primarch Vulkan
- AIs talking like teenager humans
- stupid Central Command Announcements
- powergaming

I would like to see more:
- roleplaying pain and fear
- AIs behaving like artifical intelligence "should"
- clowns and mimes performing actual comedy acts

inb4 bay
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? I changed it
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #67568

SOS made a poll about murderbone being punished and the community chose that antag murderboner be allowed.

You can't have both roleplay and deathmatch antags.
Last edited by Scott on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #67590

Violaceus wrote:Changed what?
Names
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #67763

I spent a whole round as an AI speaking mostly (90% of the time, maybe) as you could expect from an AI.

The result? People telling you to stop talking like a nerd.
Maybe they like being called abortions, and AIs that smack talk more than a dozen greyshits and one clown.
specyalic
Byond Username: Specyalic

Post by specyalic » #68126

on the other hand i spent a few AI rounds being speaking and acting as close to a glorified talking calculator as possible and the crew received me fairly well
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #74899

I once spent a whole round not speaking at all except for when 'STATE LAWS AI'

and another one where I was HYPERSPACE THE DRILL SERGEANT and whipped the crew into shape.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #75440

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I once spent a whole round not speaking at all except for when 'STATE LAWS AI'

and another one where I was HYPERSPACE THE DRILL SERGEANT and whipped the crew into shape.

Sometimes, I play a Lizardman called Calls-The-Shuttle.

Guess what he does.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #76368

We have plenty of "roleplay", its just that people are going on about "roleplay" as if you have to be baybies. And it tends to break down into a violent struggle to survive when you get up to 80+ players. Also "roleplay".
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #76398

>roleplay
Did you mean "barely-disguised valids"?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #76429

I play the occasional round on sibyl and holy shit do i ever see why people hate playing security there. No one says a GOD DAMN WORD over the radio on higher population rounds. There is no coordination and it makes the job nothing more than a silent validhunt with a nice red shirt and a taser.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #277790

I know this is a filthy necropost or whatever but seriously why did this never go anywhere. Also not like this forum is ever used so the necroposting doesn't REALLY matter. Maybe we could try having another discussion about rp on the servers, with the shit that's changed since the last post?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #277800

I-I rp...
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #277807

lol look at these newfags
Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #277811

oranges wrote:lol look at these newfags
yeah sorry oranges i know you're the standard of quality around here
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #277826

People do roleplay on both servers. The problem is people believing roleplay is exclusively sitting in the bar and treating the game like a glorified chat box.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #277991

ancient thread jesus christ
Limey wrote:its too late.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #278053

Cherrypone gestures at the Thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278143

actual debate: do you think current day sybil or current day bagil has more roleplaying

I only ever really play sybil so I can't comment but those of you who swap, tell us
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #278169

Qbopper wrote:actual debate: do you think current day sybil or current day bagil has more roleplaying

I only ever really play sybil so I can't comment but those of you who swap, tell us
I've seen people saying things like "I haven't played on /tg/ station before." and things like "(OOC) Do you know which way to go?" on both servers
I've seen one admin trying to tell people not to say "gg" in IC only to have five people jump on them for it.

I've seen almost no RP on either server in a long time.
But that may just be my experience.

There's a lot less OOC in IC talk on Sybil though.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #278203

Guys, I hate to be "that guy" but if you're going to measure which server "RP's more" you're gonna have to define your terms. How are you quantifying roleplay?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #278228

Engaging in believable interactions given the situation, rank and other context within the confines of the game world and your character.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #278233

cedarbridge wrote:Guys, I hate to be "that guy" but if you're going to measure which server "RP's more" you're gonna have to define your terms. How are you quantifying roleplay?
not acting like a retard who only plays to click those sprites into horizontal
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #278234

Kraso wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Guys, I hate to be "that guy" but if you're going to measure which server "RP's more" you're gonna have to define your terms. How are you quantifying roleplay?
Then yes most people, in both servers, roleplay.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278271

I'd say "actually attempts to play as a character that is interacting with other people" - you can not be a retard looking for a target and not really be RPing
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #278543

Qbopper wrote:I'd say "actually attempts to play as a character that is interacting with other people" - you can not be a retard looking for a target and not really be RPing
pretty sure that falls under "not acting like a retard"
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278586

what if you roleplay a retard

it's possible

i was only pretending
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #278590

Roleplaying is pretty easy to define tbh. Since people always pull the "WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY ROLEPLAY WE CANT DISCUSS THIS IF YOU DONT DEFINE IT" and then it just becomes an arguement about semantics and what roleplay is in your eyes etc etc. Let's just jump over completely and just say that roleplaying is playing a character that isn't you.

No self inserts, and don't do the shit that you would do. Just stop being a neckbeard for ONE 40 minute interval and stop spouting memes and do something that a functional and productive member of society would do.

That's pretty simple uh? If we take that as our definition and then put the base line for "roleplay" as not even having to emote anything, just talk like a productive member of society, act nice or gruff or whatever without spouting stupid memes and don't fucking run halfway across the station to murder someone because "m-muh valids" that's can be counted as your average roleplayer. Of course, this being /tg/ that's actually not really roleplay, imagine if you played a D&Desque game where describing the actions does not occur. The DM tells you to roll dice and you do and then he spouts a number and thats it. Barring basic verbs that's the entire game. Let me tell you as a person that's played a ton of roleplaying games, I would straight up walk out and leave the game if that shit was occuring. When you degenerate roleplaying to the levels that it's gotten to in SS13 that is basically what has been achieved. We have turned a roleplaying game into a game about simple verbs and sprites.

That's what basically all servers bar the ones with extremely authoritarian rulesets have turned to. The ironic bit is the fact that the worst part of the game, the laggy ass functionally broken combat is considered the best bit of the game by a majority of the server occupants. This was always going to happen though, and that's the natural progression of the server. At the danger of sound like Psyentific by saying this, this server's roleplaying death started as soon as it extended beyond just being a pure "/tg/" server. The evidence, whilst circumstancial, is there. Look at how roleplaying throughout the years went down as the oldguard of actual /tg/ posters died down. Whilst I agree, correlation does not equal causation it's not hard to see. Majority of players don't really give two fucks about roleplaying, and I can see why. You're average joe just came back from work, he doesn't want to put any thought into pretending to be another character, he wants to get some cheap fun and thrill and kill some people or whatever. I have no real empathy for these players, in the actual sense of the word. I do not understand the fun of the people that start a round, wait a couple of minutes scratching their ballsack, finding all the "right equipment" for the eventual antag call so they can go rush into the middle of it, kill anyone that moves and if they die "so be it.". I get that it must be fun, but it just doesn't click for me. It makes no sense. My idea of fun is making relationships with people whilst stupid shit occurs around me. I love seeing the reaction of people to stupid absurd situations, and a lot of people must do as well because the stories thread has always been one of the best threads, but that has turned less of "wow look at this cool and stupid absurd shit thats happened and how people dealt with it" to a glorified "I'm so fucking robust" masturbation marathon.

I've always said this, the laissez-faire attitude to roleplay and hoping, no, wishing it gets better is not good enough. The /tg/ conundrum is that some people want roleplay, but they do not want the strong arming that comes with it. We want structure but we don't want rules that enforce that structure. Talk shit about bays rules but I actually applaud them. You either comform to their ideals or you leave or get kicked out. Their roleplay atmosphere is still going strong, and sure, you get the horror stories of their admins. Heck, I've been a victim to their questionable admins, I literally got a 3 day ban for using stun and then lasering syndies as the HoP, but that is the price you pay if you want the level of roleplay they wish to maintain.

I guess this has been my biannual lengthy post about roleplaying in regard to the /tg/ server. I think it's a coping mechanism, if I just shit post all the time I think I'll break or some shit. Take it or leave it, just don't @ me about this, it's all my opinions. I think my opinions are so hardset by this point in regards to this garbage that you may as well not bother trying to argue about it with me. I won't budge.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278611

I think the problem with wanting such heavy RP on /tg/ is that the majority of players don't want that

I like having an in between where you're still maintaining that you're a character and acting realistically to the setting, but having a loose and wacky setting to give people some leeway in how they act
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #278612

The paradox where the majority of players on /tg/station do not want more roleplaying.

fade me fam.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278614

it's not /tg/station as in "the /tg/ station", but its own entity now
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #278650

*blocks your path*
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #278675

*graps paprika and pushes them against the wall*

back off
Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #279049

tfw there are no servers with good rp that don't autistically enforce it
just fuck my shit up
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #279065

CosmicScientist wrote:
oranges wrote:*graps paprika and pushes them against the wall*

back off
Now we know who's first against the wall.
*grins and teleports behind u*

Nothing personell kid
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #279094

lzimann wrote:
Kraso wrote:
Then yes most people, in both servers, roleplay.
I'd like to disagree. Most of the "IC conflicts" I experience are quite literally wordless assistants/chemists/botanists assaulting you without any prior interaction so that they can escalate into murder if you dare to throw a punch in self defense. Or strip you and steal all your stuff if you don't.

Speaking of validkilling, RP and IC crime, I miss mafia tiding. It involved people dressing up as mobsters every single round, then go around and recruit assistants into their family, steal/build/order weapons, take over hydro/chem, host gambles, kidnap people and of course, protect their family from traitors and sec alike. I think it was pretty fun to join the mafia, interact with them and even fight them. It got a lot of people to RP since it meant free valid kills but the escalation was still far better than the mess that I see these days.

In fact, can we bring mafiatide back? I'd much rather be killed by some mobsters who I owe protection money than random mute killbait assistants.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #283607

why's htis thread sittl here also welcom eback tokiko you are my favorite person from this godforsaken place
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #283609

>why is this thread still here
>thread has been dead for 10 days

please stop
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #313979

Yes, thread necro. Better than making a thread for it, as it's still relevant.

Years of people encouraging a lower standard of roleplay by using Bay as a boogeyman, coupled with historical revisionism claiming that we never roleplayed in the first place, has brought our servers' standards of roleplay down to next to nothing. At this point the only ways I could feasibly see this being fixed is if a large number of players coordinate themselves to encourage roleplay, which will never happen, or if admins start enforcing a higher standard of roleplay through rules and the like, which would likely kill or at least greatly injure the server.

Best thing to do is to discourage the shittiest of the shitters from playing here, and hope that RP mindsets gradually creep their way back up. Maybe we need carrots for RP behaviour.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #314003

There is no roleplay at all on /tg/station.

Colonial Marines and Lifeweb, one being a pure combat oriented game and the other having literally no rules, both have higher standards of roleplay than we do.

Though to be fair I think this is what people want.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #314021

Steelpoint wrote:There is no roleplay at all on /tg/station.

Colonial Marines and Lifeweb, one being a pure combat oriented game and the other having literally no rules, both have higher standards of roleplay than we do.

Though to be fair I think this is what people want.
Lifeweb's one golden rule is basically roleplay or die

Colonial marines, you got a point there
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #314033

Lifeweb also enforces it a bit by roles being proficient in certain things. The only people who can do surgery are the Escalup and Serpents, the Baron despite being the "captain" is mediocre in doing anything, only the Innkeeper can make great food, etc, etc. The game play mechanics heavily encourage roleplay and interaction as no single person can do everything by themselves.

The critical difference is that CM admins actually make an effort to enforce a moderate amount of roleplay and will and do ban players for acting uncharacteristically. They are not as extreme as HRP servers but they do expected a modicum of realism, such as a Grunt Marine not knowing how to perform surgery, or an engineer being able to operate a complicated personal weapons system.

We have none of that, a Assistant can be just as good as surgery as the Chief Medical Officer, a Botanist can be just as trained in complex weapons as a Syndicate Nuclear Operative, a miner can undertake research as well as a qualified Scientist, etc, etc.

I'm not suggesting we need to change anything, but this is what the reality is. There is no incentive to roleplay, both in administration and gameplay mechanics.