In Defence of Racist Prickery

I cast magic missile at the darkness
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: In Defence of Racist Prickery

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #580510

Bottom post of the previous page:

I always thought it was kind of annoying you had to be human to be a head of staff for the simple reason it shafted you out of being able to be a bit creative with your species choice if you didn't want to be locked out of certain roles.

I've never seen someone discriminate against non-humans in an interesting way (except the AI but that is entirely to do with the rules-lawyering aspect of the role as opposed to anything else). It's always "KILL ALL LIZARDS" or nobody tells them apart from humans with nothing inbetween. I suspect because it's effort that nobody cares enough to put in?

The AI matter I've always assumed was just a meme scifi reference that whoever wrote the laws didn't want to even remotely deviate from (even though it means there's an entire section of silicon policy just there to 'fix' all of Asimov's problems).
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #581649

I think racism happens plenty but there's big differences in how it can be expressed rpwise. It's very common for species to complain about each other to a member of the same species, but being blatantly racist to someone's face causes alot more drama, and probably escalates to violence.

Simple things like overcharging, or over scrutinizing a particular species is common, it's just not blatant
Intercept0r
Byond Username: Intercept0r

Post by Intercept0r » #582610

I love racism, even if imaginary.

That being said, players most deserving of a tabling, vitriolic remark and a ride down disposals generally play humans as the optimal species.

I believe the primary cause of species blindness is that there is no real reason to ever be paranoid about a species. Cult or rev draw the line between the good and bad guys, but it's always orthogonal to species.

The only element that gives any reason to be antagonistic towards other races are ashliggers and even then, there's hardly any solidarity between station and lavaland lizards.

An event or gamemode like nonhuman supremacy (I'm thinking a twist on revs) would probably push the game towards more inter-species conflict - by giving snowflake races a reason to speak in their species language (discretion) and other players the possibility to suspect a racial species supremacy event is going on.

I don't think this game mode should ever be available for humans, because humans already are established as both in-lore and de facto dominant species, and because it doesn't take a genius to figure out what glyph players would choose to signify their allegiance to the human race.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #582617

Intercept0r wrote:I love racism, even if imaginary.

That being said, players most deserving of a tabling, vitriolic remark and a ride down disposals generally play humans as the optimal species.

I believe the primary cause of species blindness is that there is no real reason to ever be paranoid about a species. Cult or rev draw the line between the good and bad guys, but it's always orthogonal to species.

The only element that gives any reason to be antagonistic towards other races are ashliggers and even then, there's hardly any solidarity between station and lavaland lizards.

An event or gamemode like nonhuman supremacy (I'm thinking a twist on revs) would probably push the game towards more inter-species conflict - by giving snowflake races a reason to speak in their species language (discretion) and other players the possibility to suspect a racial species supremacy event is going on.

I don't think this game mode should ever be available for humans, because humans already are established as both in-lore and de facto dominant species, and because it doesn't take a genius to figure out what glyph players would choose to signify their allegiance to the human race.
The problem with this idea is that the first time a lizard does something remotely greytidey there's always gonna be that guy that's like "GAS THE LIZARDS IT'S RACE WAR" and use the existence of that gamemode to justify why they decided every lizard was valid
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #582631

even if?
Intercept0r wrote:An event or gamemode like nonhuman supremacy (I'm thinking a twist on revs) would probably push the game towards more inter-species conflict - by giving snowflake races a reason to speak in their species language (discretion) and other players the possibility to suspect a racial species supremacy event is going on.
There's plenty of potential for creative conflict in the game without actively pushing players because they aren't acting racist enough.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #582653

Honey, no.
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #582655

This ain't it, chief
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #582657

Screemonster wrote:
Intercept0r wrote:worst beginner sentence to have in this thread

words words words
The problem with this idea is that the first time a lizard does something remotely greytidey there's always gonna be that guy that's like "GAS THE LIZARDS IT'S RACE WAR" and use the existence of that gamemode to justify why they decided every lizard was valid
Imagine revs but they don't even get the flash to convert. At best, you'll have 5-10 dudes including you. At worst, it's you and someone else. Man, I can't wait to do blood brothers reskinned or blood brothers but nuke ops edition!
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #582663

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Screemonster wrote:
Intercept0r wrote:worst beginner sentence to have in this thread

words words words
Imagine revs but they don't even get the flash to convert. At best, you'll have 5-10 dudes including you. At worst, it's you and someone else. Man, I can't wait to do blood brothers reskinned or blood brothers but nuke ops edition!
blood brothers reskinned but with a hard tell for who the other blood brothers are if one of them gets caught
Intercept0r

Post by Intercept0r » #582676

blood brothers reskinned but with a hard tell for who the other blood brothers are if one of them gets caught
All good points. My point isn't about adding revs with races specifically though, but more broadly about making race more relevant in game modes and random events. Revs with races is a blunt example, don't read too much into it.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #582678

It's a shame that humans are so braindead and self-defeating racism must continue in the 26th century/against fictional races in a video game
NSFW:

Intercept0r

Post by Intercept0r » #582680

cacogen wrote:It's a shame that humans are so braindead and self-defeating racism must continue in the 26th century/against fictional races in a video game
Spessgame is not meant as a template for the society of the future. Real racism bad. This is about whether more interesting social interactions can be achieved by in-grouping based on imaginary species.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #582682

The lizard and moth metacliques already exist and the answer is no
NSFW:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #582816

Intercept0r wrote:An event or gamemode like nonhuman supremacy (I'm thinking a twist on revs) would probably push the game towards more inter-species conflict - by giving snowflake races a reason to speak in their species language (discretion) and other players the possibility to suspect a racial species supremacy event is going on.

This is unironically a fantastic idea, the implementation of which would be a tangible step to solving the problem I sought to draw attention to in this thread.
Screemonster wrote:The problem with this idea is that the first time a lizard does something remotely greytidey there's always gonna be that guy that's like "GAS THE LIZARDS IT'S RACE WAR" and use the existence of that gamemode to justify why they decided every lizard was valid
You know that killing the janitor just because he talked about unionizing IC is random murder, right? Doubly so on Manuel. Security who don't go through due diligence and investigate whether a target is a probable antag will eat a ban, just like with every other gamemode.
XDTM wrote:Imagine revs but they don't even get the flash to convert. At best, you'll have 5-10 dudes including you. At worst, it's you and someone else. Man, I can't wait to do blood brothers reskinned or blood brothers but nuke ops edition!
I wonder how a rogue AI can manage to overthrow the entire station when he only has a few borgs at his command. If only they were to give rogue AIs special abilities that allow them to accomplish their nefarious goals in an interesting manner.
Intercept0r wrote:All good points. My point isn't about adding revs with races specifically though, but more broadly about making race more relevant in game modes and random events. Revs with races is a blunt example, don't read too much into it.
You've got nothing to apologize for, lad. A few naysayers may call you mad, but I call you a visionary.
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #583876

Farquaar wrote: You know that killing the janitor just because he talked about unionizing IC is random murder, right? Doubly so on Manuel. Security who don't go through due diligence and investigate whether a target is a probable antag will eat a ban, just like with every other gamemode.

I wonder how a rogue AI can manage to overthrow the entire station when he only has a few borgs at his command. If only they were to give rogue AIs special abilities that allow them to accomplish their nefarious goals in an interesting manner.
Let's say one bad lizard = every lizard bad. At some point, roleplay or not, it will turn into a math problem of "If John McSec had to kill three hostile lizards, what's the probability that he will just find an excuse to kill all the other lizards?"

Also if we added cool species abilities, it would most likely turn into a shitstorm that oranges would never allow. The AI and his goons are also very different from normal players because they can't pick up weapons, function more like simplemobs in a way, and can be countered by some of the dumbest shit.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #586857

oranges wrote:
Farquaar wrote: 3. The station is a "nonsensical, metal death trap masquerading as a space station", where paranoia is the norm.
None of this in the common core lore
Then why do you allow it to be used in map design
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #586869

The common core lore sounds like fan fiction written by stupid people
NSFW:

Megarop
Byond Username: Megarop

Post by Megarop » #587352

Intercept0r wrote:I love racism
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #608125

This thread would have gone a lot better if it was called "Is getting discriminated a part of the lizard gameplay?", because that's what we are discussing: Is lizard racism good or bad for the game and its ramifications.

I think we all can agree racism againt people of color is bad in-game and out-of-game. If lizardpeople existed out-of-game I agree racism against them would be bad, but because they don't exist it leaves us with a weird point if it should or should not exist in-game.

Imo we should do a vote among lizard mains to determine how much racism should be a part of the gameplay for them, then based on that results we brainstorm ways to incentivize/decentivize it.

btw I like the "lizard revolution" gamemode idea, I find it neat
I remade the beach away mission
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #608141

I think it's fine to be mean/species-ist IC as long as you're doing so at least a little tongue-in-cheek so it's clear it's RP and not a direct player insert. If someone thinks you, the player behind the screen, is being genuinely mean to them, then that's not good and you should probably curb it a bit. But if they think you're acting out being mean to them in the RP-narrative, that's totally normal and no one should really get offended too much by it. It's a subtle difference but an important one IMO.

Like if I was gonna execute a tot and they said "wow you're just gonna execute me, you're a pretty boring person," that would feel more like just being mean as a player, cause the RP is bad and it kind of speaks to the player behind the character and not the character. But if they said "ARE YOU GONNA FUCKIN KILL ME FOR THAT? WHAT KIND OF A SHITTY POWERTRIPPING LIGGER ARE YOU," I would actually view that as less offensive, because it's something you could envision somebody about to be executed actually saying. It's mean "in the RP universe" and doesn't seem to extend outside of it.
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #608166

IC racism/speciesism does not strictly, in isolation, mean that the player themself is racist. However, the idea of it would obviously appeal to IRL racists, and when a character acts it out with too much enthusiasm it doesn't paint a pleasant picture of the player behind it, especially combined with this community, where many players have the tendency to view racism as acceptable if not outright funny.

It's a trope/gimmick that only really works if you know the player in question enough to be sure it's a fiction, and even then there's plenty of different RP gimmicks which do not carry the same baggage. There's not much to lose from not having it in the game anymore, outside of non-player-driven lore speciesism like command job restrictions.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #608172

Nah speciesism is fine. Gives a good excuse to lynch the bastard with a non-speciesist mob. Removing this IC interaction would be a crime.

Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #608288

ate liggers , ate cats , ate lightbulbs , ate moth.
simple as that