47%
Other (explain)
20%

Total votes: 15

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Roleplay Prompt - Two Oranges

Post by wesoda25 » #661624

Say I have two oranges. They look exceptionally tasty, but you don’t know this for sure as you can only see them. I’m holding them both in one hand and we are standing in a line at the grocery store. In your grocery cart, amongst many groceries, you have a clear, plastic bag filled with several oranges. They are small and feel a little mushy. You aren’t certain they’ll taste very good, but they were all you could find. You notice that I look visibly agitated (frowning, hand on my head, staring intently at the floor as if I am deep in thought). Suddenly I turn to you. “Could you hold these oranges for me?” My tone is brusque, almost impolite. Before you can respond, I thrust my oranges into your hand and walk quickly and purposefully back into the nearest grocery aisle, directly behind us. It’s the bread aisle, and you have a clear view of its entire length. Baffled, you look at the oranges in your hand, then back up at the aisle. I’m gone.

A slightly harassed but good-natured sounding voice then rings out from behind you: “Next!” It’s the cashier, and the customer before you - who had been in front of me - is now walking out of the store with their groceries in hand. You are next in line. Seeing that the cashier looks a little impatient and not wanting to inconvenience them, you hurry forward and begin unloading your groceries from the shopping cart. Lastly you place down your bag of oranges. Again you notice how unappetizing they look. You then look at the two oranges in your hand. Bright orange, seemingly perfectly ripe. They feel firm, but not hard. Just the way you like your oranges. It occurs to you that these are perhaps the finest looking pair of oranges you’ve ever seen.

An idea then occurs to you. A scandalous, fiendish, delightful, little idea. What if you took these oranges for yourself? You know you will enjoy them. You look back at the bread aisle for any sign of me. I’m nowhere to be found. You look back at the cashier… and in horror see they’ve almost scanned everything on the belt! Behind them a bagger works feverishly, thrusting good after good into paper bags with terrifying efficiency. Frantic, you again look at the oranges - my oranges - in your hand. They look incredible. You realize you want them more than you’ve ever wanted something before. You need to try those oranges. A second passes, but to you it’s an eternity. There’s nothing and nobody in the world except you and those oranges. Your oranges. You hear a noise. Did you imagine it? You must have. You’re soaring in a sky filled with cotton-candy clouds. An orange sun spills across the horizon. It’s beautiful. You hear another noise. Ignore it. It’s so beautiful. You reach out for the sun…

“Are you going to give me those oranges or not?!”

You wrench your gaze from the oranges.

With wet eyes you find the cashier, looking at you expectantly. They’re holding your bag of mushy, pitiful, disgusting oranges in their hand. One hand hangs stupidly in front of you. In the other, the two oranges.

What do you do?
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Re: Roleplay Prompt - Two Oranges

Post by toemas » #661638

i take the oranges for myself. Although initially, giving you the oranges seems like the most righteous choice, as you had claimed them first, the fact that you were willing to just give away these impeccable citruses with such casuality indicates that you just dont comprehend their value in the same way that i do. You are no aristocrat, and the oranges are with me, where they belong.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #661639

I realize that I am being tested and do the right thing and do not give them the two oranges I am holding, I explain to the cashier that I am holding them for another customer.

If mr beast does not appear and give me 1 gorzillion dollars then I will be shocked
► Show Spoiler
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #661640

I blink rapidly, shaken out of my reverie. A chill runs down my back as the world seems to melt away, leaving naught but the frowning store clerk, those two heavenly pieces of citrus, and the humming of sodium lights, painting everything in a yellow, viscerally uncomfortable light. I'm suddenly, instantly aware of how uncomfortable the sagging, sad little store is. The air is canned, the desk is overwhelmingly sticky, and the drone of the air conditioning seems to blank out my mind. An intense, overwhelming pang of abandonment spikes through my heart. A bead of sweat drips off my brow.
"Ah, uhm, yeah, I, uh. Yeah, take them."
I twitch a little as the fruits drop into the clerk's hands, a grunt of annoyance their only response. I take the opportunity to surreptitiously look behind my shoulder: nothing but isles, isles, and isles. Bile rises.
"Sir? SIR."
Coughing with surprise, I once again bring my gaze to meet the cashier's. Their eyes bore a hole through me, clearly fed up of my shit. Steeling myself, I make the purchase, mumbling an apology as I hurriedly collect my groceries. I contemplate waiting at the door for you, but the glare of the cashier inclines me otherwise. I look down at my hands, at those magnificent specimens of citrus, as the fresh air and sunlight wash over me like an oasis. I glance back at the sad little store. Nobody in sight. I look at the oranges again. They ARE really good looking...
I shrug. "Mine now, I guess."

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #661690

toemas wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:33 am i take the oranges for myself. Although initially, giving you the oranges seems like the most righteous choice, as you had claimed them first, the fact that you were willing to just give away these impeccable citruses with such casuality indicates that you just dont comprehend their value in the same way that i do. You are no aristocrat, and the oranges are with me, where they belong.
You hand over the oranges and pay for your goods. You stumble out to your car in a daze, your mind on the oranges. You throw the rest of your groceries haphazardly in the trunk and gently place the bag of oranges in the passenger seat beside you. You begin to drive. Right. Left. Left. Right. You can't take your mind off the oranges. It's as if an orange lens has descended upon your world, and nothing else matters anymore. You're almost home.

Now you're in the driveway. You ran over some grass pulling in. No matter. You grab your oranges and get out of the car. Aren't you forgetting something? No. You have your oranges. You walk towards your house. You're at the door. It takes you a few tries to enter your key right. Now you're inside. Your roommate greets you, you think, but you didn't quite hear what they said. "Hey," you mumble. You start for the stairs. You fly up to the first landing.

BANG

You stop. A knock at the door? No, you can hardly call it that. It sounds as if someone just punched it. You're not flying anymore.

"Mind getting that?" You can hear your roommate more clearly now. Frustrated, you march back down the steps and to the door. You open it. It's me. I'm smiling. Your head feels light. My eyes slide down to find your white knuckles upon the bag of oranges, then back up to look at you.

"Mind if I come in?"

What do you do?
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #661691

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:52 am I realize that I am being tested and do the right thing and do not give them the two oranges I am holding, I explain to the cashier that I am holding them for another customer.

If mr beast does not appear and give me 1 gorzillion dollars then I will be shocked
Mr beast does not appear. The cashier looks exasperated. "Fine then." They proceed to weigh the oranges in the bag and hand them to the bagger. You pay for your goods and put them back in your cart. You look around again. Still no sign of me. "Mind keeping an eye on this for me?" you ask the bagger, nodding towards your cart. They shrug. You set out into the bread aisle to find me.

Suddenly you see my head poke out at the end. Our eyes meet. "Hey!" you call, beckoning me. Sheepishly I step out. "Yes?" I ask. You walk up to me. "Your oranges." You place them in my hand. I look angry. Almost like a child. I turn around and walk away without saying a word.

Bewildered, you stare for a moment before walking back to your cart. You take it from the bagger and thank them, who says nothing in response. You walk towards the exit. As you step out of the store, you suddenly feel positively euphoric. It's as if a great weight has been lifted from your shoulders. You wonder at the feeling for a moment before placing your groceries in your car, returning your cart to the cart corral, and drive home. Smiling.
Last edited by wesoda25 on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #661703

bastardblaster wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:02 am I blink rapidly, shaken out of my reverie. A chill runs down my back as the world seems to melt away, leaving naught but the frowning store clerk, those two heavenly pieces of citrus, and the humming of sodium lights, painting everything in a yellow, viscerally uncomfortable light. I'm suddenly, instantly aware of how uncomfortable the sagging, sad little store is. The air is canned, the desk is overwhelmingly sticky, and the drone of the air conditioning seems to blank out my mind. An intense, overwhelming pang of abandonment spikes through my heart. A bead of sweat drips off my brow.
I twitch a little as the fruits drop into the clerk's hands, a grunt of annoyance their only response. I take the opportunity to surreptitiously look behind my shoulder: nothing but isles, isles, and isles. Bile rises.
"Sir? SIR."
Coughing with surprise, I once again bring my gaze to meet the cashier's. Their eyes bore a hole through me, clearly fed up of my shit. Steeling myself, I make the purchase, mumbling an apology as I hurriedly collect my groceries. I contemplate waiting at the door for you, but the glare of the cashier inclines me otherwise. I look down at my hands, at those magnificent specimens of citrus, as the fresh air and sunlight wash over me like an oasis. I glance back at the sad little store. Nobody in sight. I look at the oranges again. They ARE really good looking...
You walk to your car. Something's bothering you, but you're not sure what. You unload your groceries into the trunk. On a whim you decide to place the oranges on the seat behind you. As you step into the car, a chill crawls up your back. You stop. Are you being watched? You look out at the parking lot. There's no one around. That's odd. You'd think there'd be someone at this time of day. Frowning, you look up. The sun is swollen. There are no birds. The clouds burn orange. You look back at your oranges. You don't feel safe. You sit down, close the door, and speed off.

You speed the whole way home. You can't get the bizarre interaction with me out of your head. The unnerving trip through the parking lot. Something about that wasn't right. You keep thinking about the oranges. Should you have taken them? Is it your conscious that's troubling you? Frowning, you shake your head. You start to turn around and look at them. You stop. Something tells you not to. You drive the rest of the way with your eyes locked on the road.

You pull into the driveway. Without looking in the backseat, you walk to the trunk. You unload your groceries and carry them up to your house. You open the door. Your roommate says hello. "Hey." You bring the groceries to the fridge and start putting them away. You finish. You fold up the bags and stash them in the pantry. You think of the oranges in your backseat.

What do you ?
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #661717

wesoda25 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:02 am Say I have two oranges. They look exceptionally tasty, but you don’t know this for sure as you can only see them. I’m holding them both in one hand and we are standing in a line at the grocery store. In your grocery cart, amongst many groceries, you have a clear, plastic bag filled with several oranges. They are small and feel a little mushy. You aren’t certain they’ll taste very good, but they were all you could find. You notice that I look visibly agitated (frowning, hand on my head, staring intently at the floor as if I am deep in thought). Suddenly I turn to you. “Could you hold these oranges for me?” My tone is brusque, almost impolite. Before you can respond, I thrust my oranges into your hand and walk quickly and purposefully back into the nearest grocery aisle, directly behind us. It’s the bread aisle, and you have a clear view of its entire length. Baffled, you look at the oranges in your hand, then back up at the aisle. I’m gone.

A slightly harassed but good-natured sounding voice then rings out from behind you: “Next!” It’s the cashier, and the customer before you - who had been in front of me - is now walking out of the store with their groceries in hand. You are next in line. Seeing that the cashier looks a little impatient and not wanting to inconvenience them, you hurry forward and begin unloading your groceries from the shopping cart. Lastly you place down your bag of oranges. Again you notice how unappetizing they look. You then look at the two oranges in your hand. Bright orange, seemingly perfectly ripe. They feel firm, but not hard. Just the way you like your oranges. It occurs to you that these are perhaps the finest looking pair of oranges you’ve ever seen.

An idea then occurs to you. A scandalous, fiendish, delightful, little idea. What if you took these oranges for yourself? You know you will enjoy them. You look back at the bread aisle for any sign of me. I’m nowhere to be found. You look back at the cashier… and in horror see they’ve almost scanned everything on the belt! Behind them a bagger works feverishly, thrusting good after good into paper bags with terrifying efficiency. Frantic, you again look at the oranges - my oranges - in your hand. They look incredible. You realize you want them more than you’ve ever wanted something before. You need to try those oranges. A second passes, but to you it’s an eternity. There’s nothing and nobody in the world except you and those oranges. Your oranges. You hear a noise. Did you imagine it? You must have. You’re soaring in a sky filled with cotton-candy clouds. An orange sun spills across the horizon. It’s beautiful. You hear another noise. Ignore it. It’s so beautiful. You reach out for the sun…

With wet eyes you find the cashier, looking at you expectantly. They’re holding your bag of mushy, pitiful, disgusting oranges in their hand. One hand hangs stupidly in front of you. In the other, the two oranges.

What do you do?
become a outlaw and run out of the store mirror’s edge style
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #661761

wesoda25 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:40 pm
bastardblaster wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:02 am I blink rapidly, shaken out of my reverie. A chill runs down my back as the world seems to melt away, leaving naught but the frowning store clerk, those two heavenly pieces of citrus, and the humming of sodium lights, painting everything in a yellow, viscerally uncomfortable light. I'm suddenly, instantly aware of how uncomfortable the sagging, sad little store is. The air is canned, the desk is overwhelmingly sticky, and the drone of the air conditioning seems to blank out my mind. An intense, overwhelming pang of abandonment spikes through my heart. A bead of sweat drips off my brow.
"Sir? SIR."
You walk to your car. Something's bothering you, but you're not sure what. You unload your groceries into the trunk. On a whim you decide to place the oranges on the seat behind you. As you step into the car, a chill crawls up your back. You stop. Are you being watched? You look out at the parking lot. There's no one around. That's odd. You'd think there'd be someone at this time of day. Frowning, you look up. The sun is swollen. There are no birds. The clouds burn orange. You look back at your oranges. You don't feel safe. You sit down, close the door, and speed off.

You speed the whole way home. You can't get the bizarre interaction with me out of your head. The unnerving trip through the parking lot. Something about that wasn't right. You keep thinking about the oranges. Should you have taken them? Is it your conscious that's troubling you? Frowning, you shake your head. You start to turn around and look at them. You stop. Something tells you not to. You drive the rest of the way with your eyes locked on the road.

You pull into the driveway. Without looking in the backseat, you walk to the trunk. You unload your groceries and carry them up to your house. You open the door. Your roommate says hello. "Hey." You bring the groceries to the fridge and start putting them away. You finish. You fold up the bags and stash them in the pantry. You think of the oranges in your backseat.

What do you ?
I sigh, and set aside the work I was meaning to be doing. Everytime I set the pen to the paper, those damn, damned oranges seemed to float into the front of my thoughts. I look outside. The sun flashes in the corner of my eye, burning furiously even as it sinks below the mountains to the west, like a last, defiant roar to the world. I go downstairs, hesitating as I grab my car keys off the desk. I look towards the front door in apprehension. With every step towards it, my heart seems to quicken a few BPM. By the time I have my hands on the handle, I'm sweating like I just ran a 4k. Some unknowable voice, deep within the primitive pattern-recognition caveman brain, screams at me to retreat. And yet, the thought of those oranges won't relinquish me from their conquest. I stare, longing, into the orange light at the end of the driveway. Fifteen feet lied between me and the most delectable fruits known to man, and yet, I can't seem to force myself to turn the damn handle. I reliquish it with a shaky gasp, and collapse into a sofa. Taking a few minutes to steel my resolve, I decide to grab my roommate's Swiss Army knife off the counter. Emboldened by the reassuring feel of cheap mass produced steel, I stand up and turn the handle in a single, smooth motion. The prey drive, honed by millenia of evolution, screams at me, but I am oblivious, completely entranced by the objects of my obsession. A quick glance across the street shows no living beings, not even a stray cat or bird. I walk to the car. I bend over, grasping the handle of the car door...

san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #661961

wesoda25 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:02 am Say I have two oranges. They look exceptionally tasty, but you don’t know this for sure as you can only see them. I’m holding them both in one hand and we are standing in a line at the grocery store. In your grocery cart, amongst many groceries, you have a clear, plastic bag filled with several oranges. They are small and feel a little mushy. You aren’t certain they’ll taste very good, but they were all you could find. You notice that I look visibly agitated (frowning, hand on my head, staring intently at the floor as if I am deep in thought). Suddenly I turn to you. “Could you hold these oranges for me?” My tone is brusque, almost impolite. Before you can respond, I thrust my oranges into your hand and walk quickly and purposefully back into the nearest grocery aisle, directly behind us. It’s the bread aisle, and you have a clear view of its entire length. Baffled, you look at the oranges in your hand, then back up at the aisle. I’m gone.

What do you do?
i swallow them whole, and tell the cashier "hey, sorry i was hungry. can you just ring me up for those two i just ate".
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #664442

I imagined the narrator from Disco Elysium reading this thread so I made this

oranges.txt
oranges.mp3
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #668124

Apologies for the wait. My two oranges muse left me for a while. I'm happy to report it has found me again at 1 am and I have to wake up in 7 hours!
Epicgamer545 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 pm become a outlaw and run out of the store mirror’s edge style
You tear past the register. The employees stare after you, saying nothing. What are you doing? Violently shaking your head, you brush off the thought. Heavy feet slap unevenly against the tiled floor. CLAP CLAP CLAP. You burst out of the store into broad, burning daylight. A frantic glance finds your car. Heart pounding, you sprint after it. A stitch burns in your side. You're already out of breath. Empty cars bask in the sun, a blur in your eyes. You reach yours, wrenching the door open. You chance a look back at the store. No one's coming. What luck! The oranges nestled in your lap, you tear out of the lot.

You speed across the road. Left, right, left. You don't know where you're going. You just have to get away. You look down at the oranges in your lap. Lovely, lovely, precious little things. You have to get off the road. There's a small dirt path on the left. You veer across the road. A car swerves to avoid you.

BWANNNNNNN

Wincing at the noise, you fight to not lose control. You straighten out, speeding down the road. You become aware of something else. Sirens! Blue, red. Blue, red. Flashing in the rearview mirror.

What do you do?

Disclaimer: dunno what mirrors edge is I am taking creative liberties
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #668130

bastardblaster wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:33 am I sigh, and set aside the work I was meaning to be doing. Every time I set the pen to the paper, those damn, damned oranges seemed to float into the front of my thoughts. I look outside. The sun flashes in the corner of my eye, burning furiously even as it sinks below the mountains to the west, like a last, defiant roar to the world. I go downstairs, hesitating as I grab my car keys off the desk. I look towards the front door in apprehension. With every step towards it, my heart seems to quicken a few BPM. By the time I have my hands on the handle, I'm sweating like I just ran a 5k. Some unknowable voice, deep within the primitive pattern-recognition caveman brain, screams at me to retreat. And yet, the thought of those oranges won't relinquish me from their conquest. I stare, longing, into the orange light at the end of the driveway. Fifteen feet lied between me and the most delectable fruits known to man, and yet, I can't seem to force myself to turn the damn handle. I relinquish it with a shaky gasp, and collapse into a sofa. Taking a few minutes to steel my resolve, I decide to grab my roommate's Swiss Army knife off the counter. Emboldened by the reassuring feel of cheap mass produced steel, I stand up and turn the handle in a single, smooth motion. The prey drive, honed by millennia of evolution, screams at me, but I am oblivious, completely entranced by the objects of my obsession. A quick glance across the street shows no living beings, not even a stray cat or bird. I walk to the car. I bend over, grasping the handle of the car door...
BUM BUM.

You leap back, blindly waving the knife. Wide eyes find a figure on the other side of the car, fist resting on the window. It's me. Your heart pounds, skin crawls, knife held tight.

I smile, teeth dazzling in the sun. My fist becomes a single finger, pointing at something in the backseat.The oranges. "Were you going to have those?" I ask sweetly. In spite of yourself, your eyes follow the path of my finger, finding the oranges. For a second you see double, the sky and the sun and the seat all overlap. Your grip loosens, your head feels light. You can't help but think again about what they would taste like. How much you'd love to try them. A voice deep within screams, but you can't hear what it's saying.

I walk around the back of the car, still smiling. "Go on, open it." I beckon towards the door. You extend a shaking hand forward. You grip the handle and something clangs against the ground. Bothered, you glance down. Something shiny, you can't quite make it out. It's in your shadow. Hand still on the handle, you move to the side. A ray of burning light flashes across, blinding you. Wha - the knife! Your body stiffens, a voice roars: GET BACK. You obey, almost tripping over yourself, eyes now firmly locked on me. I'm not smiling anymore. I take a step forward and you take three backwards in turn. My face contorts. I stamp my foot. "Do you want the oranges or not?!" I sound like a petulant child.

What do you do?
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #668131

san7890 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:50 am i swallow them whole, and tell the cashier "hey, sorry i was hungry. can you just ring me up for those two i just ate".
The cashier smiles, saying nothing. A horrible, revolting taste spreads across your mouth. Your stomach burns. Your head feels light. A feeling of bliss begins to steal over you. The floor drops away. You're flying. Falling. Fast, deep, deep into the sun. It spreads across your world, your vision blurs, and all goes dark.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #668314

What do you do?
I realize my need to play a devious trick, and snatch the bag from the cashier, my sweaty hands fumbling with the plastic bag before pulling out two mushy, near inedible oranges. To eat them now would be considered a crime, after witnessing Wesoda25's. I put the two incredible oranges into the foul orange pit of mush, resting like two crowns upon a pile of compost. I grasp the two oranges I pulled out, holding them in my left hand. I give the bag to the cashier, and explain to them I owe two oranges to a fellow customer, so I need to wait. They must understand.
respect (let him do his thing)