Should we undertake a great lore rework?

I cast magic missile at the darkness

Should the lore regarding /tg/ station be rewritten/reworked?

Yes, have newly elected Headmin(s) appoint Lore-Writers for a complete makeover
16%
Yes, have whoever is interested volunteer for a part and get cracking
30%
Yes, but only small changes. Don't reinvent the wheel
20%
No, it's perfectly fine as is.
34%

Total votes: 44

Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Should we undertake a great lore rework?

Post by Lovecraft » #81908

In an effort to respark an interest in the lore and history surrounding Space Station 13 I propose that /tg/ as a whole adopts an entirely unique, brand new community created lore that fits the atmosphere.
Right now, we exist in this poor man's Douglas Adam-esque environment and I'd love to see the lore given this treatment. Reading the Backstory page on our Wiki at the moment is about as entertaining as doing taxes.

However, to emphasis this above all else, at the very top of our Backstory page you'll find the phrase
"This contains a fluff backstory which is to be taken about as seriously as the clown crying griff. "
and in the interest of not giving valid-salad lads new ammo to work with, everything that would change would be as toothless as what we currently have to make sure that quote stays true.

Does this sound interesting to anyone?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Should we undertake a great lore rework?

Post by imblyings » #81916

honestly

I think there is a lot of potential for lore and DEEPEST LORE but I dunno, there's nothing stopping you from writing up new fluff right now and official lore writer positions seem silly
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #81923

A better question would be "If we undertook a great lore rework, would anyone notice?"

Aaaaaaand the answer is probably no.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #82052

We don't need lore, we need context for what is going on, which we have.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #82073

With Shadowlings and Revenants joining Cult and Wizard, we now have a huge portion of our antagonists that are spooky. I think it would be good opportunity to refluff some of our content to explain why all this weird supernatural stuff is happening and to make the theme more cohesive.

For example, rather than wizards being from "The Space Wizard Federation" and an escapee from "Wizard Prison[/i]"(which is apparently a thing?? This is some Adventure Time level of writing here.), we could say that they're High Magus of the Narsie cult, or that they somehow siphon energy from her realm without following her cult rituals, explaining how they get their powers.
There's some lines here and there about how wizard 'magic' might actually be absurdly advanced technology but I think somewhere along the lines we all just accepted that it's real magic -- which honestly I'm more happy with than if we tried to handwave off retarded magic spells as NANOBOTSSS.

Revenants could be rogue Constructs who have either willingly abandoned Nar'sie or 'leaked-through' into our realm by accident. Detached from Nar'sie's power, they are incorporeal and have to survive off human essence.

Just as a setting-cohesiveness thing.

Drynwyn wrote:A better question would be "If we undertook a great lore rework, would anyone notice?"

Aaaaaaand the answer is probably no.

People here don't care about backstory because we've never had it before. Make it interesting and relevant and people will care.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #82077

i always thought wizards were the embodiment of "technology sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from magic"
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82080

I always thought wizards were (un)reasonably old men in robes that happened to have acquired powers to the point of going insane.

Thinking it over, pretty much exactly like a certain random event in FTL.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #82083

I've got a few small ideas for lore. Got some big ones too, actually. But I'd rather hear what other people think on the current lore first.
Specifically like, what direction should we be looking to go in?

Anyhow, maybe we could use an IRC channel or something like that, to hash out some more solid ideas.

Now, something I really can't stress enough here, is that if there's going to be any change at all, it needs to be vague enough for the players to insert their own stories, otherwise you end up dictating how everyone should play and we will gain literally nothing from it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #82092

It's usually better to expand and consolidate what we have, as opposed to try rewrite everything for no real good reason.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #82093

Man if this happens i may writefag some stories in our new lore, i was planning on getting back in to it anyways.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #82095

I always liked the explanation, which also coincidently appeared as a quote in XCOM, that "Sufficiently advance technology is indistinguishable to magic".
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #82107

We tried to organize this a while ago and I was 100% on board. Be interested to actually see it go somewhere, this time around.

You should probably hop in one of the IRC channels and try to organize shit on there.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #82112

But I have my own headcanon and I don't want it messed with. I think the lore being loose and ill defined will make most people happier.

Personally I like to believe that NT owns thousands of identical stations, and when my character survives a round he retires or lives happily or whatever. When he dies he dies.

Some people talk about their characters being immortal clones that respawn every round, some people believe it is groundhogs day. I don't think we'd ever be able to make everyone happy by laying that out clearly.
Cheridan wrote: I think it would be good opportunity to refluff some of our content to explain why all this weird supernatural stuff is happening and to make the theme more cohesive.
I did already try to imply stuff about this though by giving soul stones and Nar-Sie to the wizard.

Anyway if there was going to be more lore I'd rather it be pieced together from item descriptions in the code or easter eggs in the map than some fan fiction on the wiki.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #82118

I do think we should at least look at refining our lore, however we will also need to look at doing the same in game.

As Kor noted, it's one thing to have a lore page on the wiki, and its another thing to make that lore consistent with what's in game. I think if we do hammer out a new lore that we should also visit this in game and change item descriptions and what not with some tid bits of this new lore. It won't be hard to do but it would take a bit of time to do.
RogerWilco
Byond Username: BlakeJohnson

Post by RogerWilco » #82131

I like how you guys keep trying to push for MORE ARR PEE and DEEPEST LORES when the server is still "guess the round type and call the shuttle no less than thirty minutes into the round"-station
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82134

It is on Sybil.
On Basil, it is more "circlejerk and get as close to ERP as you can with the admins watching", with people making up their own snowflake backgrounds on the go and generally not giving two and a half fucks about the lore.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #82141

I like being able to reinvent the lore for events when it suits me. If I ever saw "BUT THAT MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE IN 2547 THE SPACE FEDERATION DECREED..." I'm burning the station to the ground.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82145

Exactly that. Going archive-diving just to be able to create your character is something that I do not want to be forced to do. It's one of the many reasons I fled Bay.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #82153

Just because we want to refine our lore does not necessarily mean we need to go to such in depth information as presented.

If anything the lore could intentionally be vague, giving only more concrete information for very distant past events that have no relevance in game, whereas lore that does effect what happens in game can either just be explanatory in nature (Syndicate is X and wants Y) or just not give too much information away.

E: Just so we all know, the most recent change to our lore was a while ago and it essentially just added a brief paragraph as to why now Nanotrasen were accepting Lizardmen as employees above the rank of Janitor.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #82159

What kind of stuff would you guys be interested in adding to the lore? Whether or not SS13 is actually state of the art and super valuable, or just an expendable glued together ball of orbital wreckage should be left mysterious and not set in stone so people can believe what they want, but adding background events and stuff that people can use to flesh/fluff out their characters would be cool
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #82160

I think the most we need to elaborate on SS13 itself is that it was set up by Nanotrasen to primarily research new technologies in relations to Plasma and Bluespace Crystals, and that there's some dispute over the quality of the station's construction and hired personal.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #82164

Pretty much all the codebases agree that thanks to how deep in space SS13 is, Nanotrasen is forced to hire whatever thugs they can get. As for it's purpose, for a plasma research facility there's really no plasma research actually taking place.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #82181

Syndicate are a division of nanotrasen think about it the truth is out there
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #82188

Our lore has generally evolved pretty naturally and I'd like to keep it that way. The Honkmother was originally just something me and a few others started talking about when I ran a Tunnel Clown Assassination Guild event years ago and we just kept it up IC until eventually I added a small line to the wiki. I don't think there's any need to re-write anything, as there's some gold we have that has emerged without much effort but people are attached to.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #82244

Kor wrote:But I have my own headcanon and I don't want it messed with.
But that's a huge problem. If I have 'headcanon' about something, and you have your own 'headcanon', then how can we even discuss a topic on equal footing in game? If your character's backstory is that he's from a small town in Indonesia on planet Earth, and my character's backstory is that he fled Earth after it was entirely blown up by aliens, and we start to talk about our backstories in game then we just met a stumbling block.

I mean, fuck, I played a Dremora from The Elder Scrolls on Basil for a while just to see if anyone would bat an eyelash.

It's not possible to write an in-depth fluff backstory that fits with literally everyone's headcanon. Which is a shame. But you can come up with something people can generally be content with.
The way that people have gotten around the difficulty of reconciling one character's backstory with all the others seems to be, um, not having one.
Anyway if there was going to be more lore I'd rather it be pieced together from item descriptions in the code or easter eggs in the map than some fan fiction on the wiki.
As a coder; literally retarded.

There is nothing that makes a mapper or a coder adding fluff more valid than someone on a wiki writing fluff, unless you think that the barrier to entry will make the entries of a higher quality (disputable).
Shaps wrote:As for it's purpose, for a plasma research facility there's really no plasma research actually taking place.
This is a piece of ludonarrative dissonance that came about from the fact that the original devs never got around to updating atmos/toxins and the code system was too obtuse for anyone to really update afterwards. Plasma (originally just called Biotoxin, it seems the original devs had just as much of an issue coming up with interesting fluff as we do) was originally intended to have lots of unique features beyond "it burns good".
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #82253

Cheridan's post reminds me of a pretty funny situation a while back- a conversation between 3 scientists wherein our backgrounds basically contradicted each other in a way that fucks over the others. Went something like:

"Earth? Yeah, it's nice and green and I have family there!"
"Really? I thought it was blasted lifeless rock these days."
"Earth exists? I thought it was destroyed and that catalyzed our exodus..."

This game has roleplay in it. Lore, no matter how barebones, prevents those situations and is conducive to better roleplay. Things like earth, nt, and the syndicate should all be set in stone with some wiggle room for personal additions.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #82286

Scones wrote:"Earth? Yeah, it's nice and green and I have family there!"
"Really? I thought it was blasted lifeless rock these days."
"Earth exists? I thought it was destroyed and that catalyzed our exodus..."
Honestly I'd rather have those sorts of situations over other types of roleplay centered around things set in stone

When fluff does ever get referred to in game, players can do that and come up with hilarious contradictions, and they can also build on each other sometimes and come up with some really neat improvised conversations about past events. It's entirely up to the players involved and it will change every round and tbh that's fine by me.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #82294

I can hype shit up really good. Hell i'll make a lore remake right now if you want me to
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
eldomtom2
Byond Username: Eldomtom2

Post by eldomtom2 » #82529

Please no massive lore. I like being able to pretty much have my own interpretation of the world, and more concrete lore would spoil that. It's not like this sort of thing comes up anyway. If I believe the Earth is a paradise for the super-rich and another person believes it's a nuclear wasteland, our differing lore views are very unlikely to come up. If contradictions do come up, they just add to the nonsensical, silly atmosphere of SS13.