D&D: The Rise and Fall of Knoss

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

D&D: The Rise and Fall of Knoss

Post by Maccus » #92819

Wyzack wrote:We rolling for stats? In fact maybe this should have its own thread now
Welcome everybody, this is the thread. We'll be playing a West Marches-style campaign for D&D. If anyone has any questions on what that is, it's this. The lands of Knoss are cold, withered, and ravaged by war. Years ago, the Overfather, the highest of highs, was betrayed by his wife, the High Queen, when she declared that she wanted her own, "better" version of Heaven. The gods made war upon one another, and the world of mortals provided both their soldiers and their battleground. Eventually, the Queen was cast down into Hell, but the effects of her reign still remain. The mostly-uncivilized land of Knoss was the center of the fight, when the rogue goddess claimed it as her own little haven, and what was once a paradise is now a warped, corrupted hell wrapped in an eternal winter. The dominant race on Knoss, the tieflings, have since turned their backs on the gods completely, earning the scorn of all still faithful to either side, good or evil. Inhuman beasts brought about by gates of Hell opening now roam the winter wastes, open portals to places best left unsought remain all over Knoss, and the tieflings are slowly becoming corrupted just by being in proximity to them. Shattered clans and ambitious warlords vie for control of Knoss, while meanwhile one of the petty kings of the human kingdoms to the West has designs on conquering Knoss for himself, establishing an outpost just on the border.

For this, I'm being extremely loose with what I allow you to play. The golden rule for "can I play this homebrew class/specialization or this backstory" is "Convince me." The only things set in stone is that all the races are core races, from the book. Other than that? Run it by me. A monk using this "Drunken Master" specialization I found on the internet? Convince me. An Oathbreaker Paladin that's actually hiding how horribly corrupt he is? Convince me. Can I make my own bid for dominance in this setting? Convince me.

So far the players are:

THE MIGHTY GALVATRON: Image Marko Sewick, Tiefling Warlock
Wyzack: Image Aeden DuMontt, Human Fighter
An0n3: Image Karag "Bowbreaker" Orumkanu, Goliath Barbarian
TableTurning: Image Joseph "Joey" Toure, Human Monk
Burer: Image Biggs Burlen, Dwarven Rogue
Dannos: Image Mariya Fletcher, Human Fighter
TheWiznard: Image Bizarre, Tiefling Bard
Ezel: Uses-Magic, Dragonborn Wizard

West Marches-style campaigns work like this: There's one safe zone at the start, a big city for characters to cool their heels and lick their wounds. For this campaign, it'll be the Kingmaker outpost, a medium-sized castle town set right on the border of Knoss and the Western Kingdoms. Here's where the majority of quests will start, in case someone wants an area scouted out, or someone wants to make contact with a tribe to the south, or someone's placed a bounty on a monster or warlord or some such. Beyond that, you make your own adventure. This "Frozen Ponds" place sound interesting? Let's go scout it out, gang. I hear tell of monsters to the north-east, let's go fix that. I have enough money to establish my own outpost, let's go lay down some foundation. There will be dungeons, ruins, eldritch locations and such all over the place, and it'll be up to you to go through them. Some are well-known landmarks, some are only rumor, others still are completely undiscovered.

If you wish to join, you need only say so. These campaigns work best for groups that are hard to schedule for, because there's no guarantee you'll be on the same expedition as someone else performing the same task. TableTurning may be helping An0n3 hunt down an ice mephit one day only to have to team up with Wyzack and Galv to purge some bandits the next. Loads of players is completely acceptable, even multiple DMs, because the plot doesn't find you, you go out and find it.

I didn't plan on writing a book so I'll wrap this up so you guys can get to making your characters and I can get to this pool party. Here's some things to expect:
The world is dangerous. Your character may very well die, and while I won't go out of my way to kill off your characters, I won't be forgiving. Some places are simply too dangerous to explore early on, come back when you're stronger. There's no shame in running from a fight. There's a lot of shame in getting your throat opened by six wolves because you got cocky.
Adventuring is not common. Your characters are either nigh-suicidal opportunists or people hired to clear out swathes of land so the King can colonize this place. You'll very rarely run into people of your own caliber, and if you do, they're probably not sharing the same interests.
Town is safe, the wilds are wild. Unless you do something like try to establish a guild of thieves or such in the Kingmaker outpost, you won't find much adventure there. It's a trading post and a resting place, not Shadowrun Seattle.
The players rule the roost here. You as adventurers are in charge of most of the story, if you want one. I'm just here for the background. You want to unite the warring clans and make a power play? It's on you. You want to learn more of the secrets of the War of the Gods? On you. You want to try to change Knoss for the better? On you.
Competition is healthy and completely allowed. You're adventurers. Heroes-for-hire or just plain old glory hogs. You're here for either loot, what you perceive as a higher purpose, or just plain bragging rights. It's completely okay to try to be the very best. You could just very well have a solo campaign of one group running around doing anything, but it's so much more fun to have people realize that somewhere out there, someone's getting all the loot and glory that they could have a shot at if they tried.
Communication is very, very important. You the players schedule your expeditions. The Frozen Wastes to the South seem like ripe picking, who's down for travelling down there? What about this abandoned ruin of a city a few miles away? Could be prime loot there. Talk with your fellow players, share stories of what happened on your journeys if someone misses out and doesn't feel like reading. Make your cliques, then mix up your cliques for funsies. This is an experiment over anything, go wild.
Anything is permitted. The Convince Me rule. Again, I'm being very loose with what I'm letting you play, my only restrictions are the core races and if you have anything outside you run it by me first. This also extends to IC interactions. Your character an antagonistic, ambitious prick? He's That Guy, sure, but he's also in an outpost filled with other, equally-ambitious and equally-strong adventurers. If someone's a problem, you police yourselves. Street rules.

Have fun!

EDIT: You can use either 4d6 keep the best 3 to generate your character, or point buy. Up to you. Any other questions I didn't answer, hit me up on PMs or something. We'll begin when at least three people have finished their characters, though we can wait if people ask.
DOUBLE EDIT: I reward good roleplaying and creativity. Think outside the box or do something really cool and you may find yourself with extra exp. Just a heads-up.
TRIPLE EDIT: I don't have to be the only GM for this, FYI.
QUADRUPLE EDIT DELUXE PACKAGE ONLY $19.99: Unless we're going through either a very big encounter or a dungeon, we'll be using this thread for just about everything. Of course, if you want to do something private like run an idea by me without the others knowing or something, just PM me. Until then, I'm not even going to set up a roll20 until we need it and we're going to use the honor system, because only truly sad people cheat at RPGs.
Last edited by Maccus on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Spoiler:
Maccus

Re: D&D: The Rise and Fall of Knoss

Post by Maccus » #92831

MAP KEY
Spoiler:
Image Kingmaker Outpost: Where it all starts, an outpost set up by King James Miller of the Kingdom of Datun, in hopes of eventually colonizing Knoss. King James' Kingdom is seperated from his outpost by a large, magical forest. He's very unlikely to send enough troops to police the lands until it's fully explored/subdued.

Image Forests: Large clusters of strange, pointed, twisted trees, often hiding something.

Image Monsters: Areas with a lot of reported monster activity. Only applies to areas where the activity is actually nailed down. A big region where nobody knows where exactly monsters are attacking other than "everywhere" won't have this.

Image Sources: Magical circle where one can acquire ancient magic. Sometimes used nefariously. Often guarded.

Image Castles: Some parts of Old Knoss, from before the Schism, still linger. Though few in number, castles seem to hint at an old, Knossian Kingdom once existing. What few remain are either completely abandoned by the locals, or turned into very good strongholds for warlords.

Image Caves: Caves are pretty self-explanatory. Big, empty, sometimes leading into completely different areas, sometimes housing a Queensgate, an adventurer could make themselves a decent shelter out of one, provided its previous occupants aren't still there.

Image The Haunted Greenwood: A gigantic, magical forest said to be haunted by vile spirits and horrible creatures. Getting through it was no easy feat itself, the King's men still in the process of clearing a good, permanent path. Beyond the Greenwood lies civilization, where heroes go to retire.

Image Large Monument: A large monument dedicated to either heroes or the gods. Though the Knossians have recently turned their backs on the gods, the odd monument may still be found sometimes to them, or other times an adventurer could find a monument to a legendary figure in the country's past.

Image Mountains: Mountains.

Image Queensgates: The Queen of All Evils' vile rebellion opened up multiple gates to her own perverted version of Heaven. Foul, misshapen beasts are known to spill out from these gates, and people around these 'Queensgates' for too long are often changed for the worse, corrupted in mind or body.

Image Ruins: The War of the Gods, or the Schism, was fought almost entirely on Knoss, devastating and twisting it with every battle. It is not uncommon to find cities that no longer stand, statues that have crumbled, villages levelled, and the like. Sometimes bandits make camp at these places. Sometimes you wish it was just bandits residing there.

Image Settlements: Even after such harsh times, people still find a way to band together. Settlements still exist, you need only to look for them.

Image Chapels: Though the people of Knoss no longer follow the gods, it is not like they simply burned down every single church in existence (Though they probably came close). Some still exist, though adventurers should be wary, chapels stand for both good and evil gods...
BIG OL' MAP
Spoiler:
Each individual hex is 6 miles, so each big hex/region is 36 miles.

You (currently) know of 7 regions to explore, and some locations in them to seek out.

14, The River's Head: The region where the Datuni River spills out from Datun to the Greenwood and to Knoss. You have heard several stories of mysterious, cannibalistic monsters in this area.

15, The Leopard's Lands: A region controlled by a warlord calling himself the Leopard King, one of the so-called Orphans of Knoss. The Leopard King is violently against the gods, and incredibly blood thirsty. He claims to possess the quickness and intelligence of the leopards, and it's said he can even see through their eyes and command them with his voice.

16, The Frozen Badlands: A region locked in constant clan warfare. Numerous warlords and bandit clans populate this region, each with their own agenda and each claiming this area as theirs.

19, The Datuni Sanctuary: The current closest thing to actual civilization that you know of in Knoss. Also, the place you know the most about. Sports the Kingmaker Outpost, governed by a Baron Brandon Aldren, as well as many other interesting locations. There's the Silverhammer Mountains to the east, a cave said to house a strange, enigmatic creature who guards magical treasure, a Source guarded seemingly by every animal in the area, and the ruins of a so-far unknown settlement. On top of that, there is a Queensgate located near the Mountains.

20, The Dead Marches: A very dangerous location, one the Baron would reward clearing out. Something within the forests located here causes the dead to wake and travel as horrible impersonations of living people. There's also a large, ruined settlement located here, though it is said the dead rule there.

23, Queensland: One of the biggest areas under the Queen of All Evils' control in Knoss before the war, now a horrible, forbidden place. Knossians refuse to travel here, even to destroy the statues of the gods, and the gigantic ruined city located within the region has been untouched since the end of the war.

24, The Fangs: Two cities said to be built from the two front teeth of an impossibly-large dragon stand here, miles apart. It is said the cities often make war upon one another, though it is not known why. It is known one city lies near a Queensgate.

25, The Walking Wilds: A large wasteland seemingly patrolled by roving packs of driven, ravenous wild animals. It's unknown why, and it hasn't been explored well enough to nail down a resting place for the hordes.
Last edited by Maccus on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #92832

Sounds neat. 5th ed?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #92839

5th Ed.
Spoiler:
Burer
Byond Username: Ulizak

Post by Burer » #92842

I will be playing the part of Biggs Burlen, the opportunistic dwarf rogue that's in it for the money. Here is my character sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ACOK ... sp=sharing and here is my character's art: http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/20 ... _dwarf.png
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #92852

I want to make a weapon master style fighter with a real focus on versatility. Even so i need to pick a main weapon, and am torn between using a halberd or using a longsword with no shield, duelist style. I am thikning of going with the latter just for adventuring versatilty, can always hold a torch or a rope or something in the off hand. Anyone have any bright ideas?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #92856

Halberds are fun, do halberds. DO IT NOW!
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #92857

I wish i could one-hand it dark souls style but such is life. At least the dice were kind to me for statgen
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #92858

I'm not 100%, but I think holding something in the off-hand negates the duelist bonuses.

Duellists are super cool, though.
Spoiler:
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #92859

I'm doing a duelist
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #92862

Wizard lizard baby
The future is horrible!
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #92864

Yo, if you guys wanna post character art or whatever for your characters, by all means!
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #92865

Holy shit Danno has risen from his 100 year slumber. Also we should have a duel sometime, i settle on duelist but took the halberd as well. Can never have too much versatility
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
danno

Post by danno » #92867

Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #92886

The lizard wizard uses-magic

The future is horrible!
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #92938

party needs more tieflings to fit the setting. I'll figure something out soon.

A tiefling something.

Probably a tiefling bard. Maybe a ranger.

EDIT: just noticed you're allowing people to roll for stats. top fucking kek.

DOUBLE EDIT:

[youtube]LMT2eM8yxG4[/youtube]

I'm not fucking using these numbers time for point buy
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #93039

How does a zombie fighter in denial about being undead sound?
Spoiler:
w-with undead fortitude but abysmal charisma
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #93079

EDGY
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #93082

Undead Fortitude in 5e is a horrible thing to deal with. Ask An0n3 or Burer. 5 zombies took almost an hour to kill. Gonna veto that, mi amigo.
Spoiler:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #93102

Marko Sewick; unprofessional magic user lord of many Knossic lands, heir to fortunes and all that other good stuff.

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #93126

Alright, here is the finalized charsheet for Aeden DuMontt, former captain in the Reland Military turned career adventurer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxriaP ... sp=sharing

I will try to find some nice charart, but i am ready to go otherwise
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
danno

Post by danno » #93130

i dont think anyone but the dm needs to see
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #93132

Oh well. Either way i am pretty hype to get started
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #93136

butt
Last edited by Maccus on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
danno

Post by danno » #93137

i quit
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #93141

I lied. We Goliath Barbarian now.

EDIT: Like this but the hammer is a lot different.
goliath_barbarian_by_lordrhino15-d4rz0yy.jpg
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #93155

An0n3 wrote:EDGY
>Plays a tiefling
>Says I'm edgy
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #93171

Alright found some charart

Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #93183

For the sake of keeping the thread from getting confusing, is everyone okay with having just one expedition at a time (at least until we get another DM)? It'll make things more competition-y since everyone will want to be first to embark, and it'll keep the thread from having several different adventures going on at the same time.

I can work with that or just doing it normally.
Spoiler:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #93186

One expedition at a time is cool with me, at least until another DM stumbles in.
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #93206

Everyone but Ezel has turned in a sheet in one way or another for our starting group, so we are ready to kick things off! NOTE: JUST BECAUSE IT'S STARTED DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TOO LATE! I'll set the limit at 10 for now. That's two different parties' worth.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your heavy boots thud loudly upon the wooden floors as you walk in, the howling winds of the eternal Knossian winter abruptly ceasing as soon as you close the door behind you. So this is the Kingmaker, you think to yourself, not too terribly impressive, You've been walking for almost fifteen minutes throughout the humble little fort, though the shivering cold and the mounds of snow made the journey feel much, much longer. It seemed almost an entire day had passed by the time you reached the Baron's office. Dimly lit, with only two torches on the left and right walls of the wide room burning. Baron Brandon Aldren is who you were told to contact here, yet nobody is to be found. A hastily-made table with nails still sticking out of the boards sits in the middle of the room, seven stools all around it, three on one side, three on another, and one reserved for the host. You feel now is as good a time as any to introduce yourself to your companions.
Spoiler:
Table Turning
Byond Username: Table Turning

Post by Table Turning » #93218

A morbidly obese tanned-skinned man walks into the room and stumbles toward one of the stools that are closest to the host. You hear the stool struggling to support his immense weight as he seemingly has no regard for it and falls into its comfort. His arms are disproportionately small and stubby compared to his rotund frame, and you may be wondering how he even fit in the door. He is wearing no armor besides a plain sky-blue shirt and bandana, and simple looking pants. He looks toward the rest of the group who hasn't sat down yet with a clean-shaven face covered in a brown substance, "Heyyyy everyone, it's Joe. From Joey's Knossian Tour."
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #93222

A towering Goliath man lumbers across the room, dressed in a scarce patchwork of linen and furs. The floor creaks and you can hear the beams splinter as he stands beside the table, just barely eclipsing his knee. He turns and lets his weapon fall to the floor beside the wall, a ship's anchor that has had one limb taken off and crudely fashioned into a giant maul. The impact can be felt throughout the room and causes different settings and fixtures around the hall to shake and rattle in protest. You've heard these sea raiders are large and violent people, and this one certainly lives up to the first claim. A walking mountain with skin the color of the crags, he props a massive boot up on a chair and leans into it, crossing his arms over his knee and leaning towards the table. It's make a series of cracking noises but miraculously holds. He puffs his chest out proudly to show off a necklace of what look like tiefling fingers on a wrapped linen cord.

"KARAG THE BOWBREAKER, OF ORUMKANU. KILLER OF MAINLANDERS. PRIDE OF ARAMANKATHI." he bellows with a voice like a warhorn.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #93230

A slender figure casually strides into the room. His tailored olive garments look more suited to a noble on the way to a gala, but the leather armor vest underneath the fluff re-affirm that he is indeed in the right place. He slides one of the stools out and proceeds to sit with one leg crossed. "Hello! Pleased to be meeting of you! My name is Marko Sewick, I come to do adventure with you all!"

He rests his arms on the table for a moment before jolting them back up from contact with a protruding nail. "My my this table is no good yes?" He chuckles a bit while rubbing his arm. "Great shame to see homeland become into this."
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #93235

A tall, muscled human man strides into the room with a spring in his step, regarding each of those present in turn. He is clad in shining mail with a tabard over top, and an old worn insignia on his shoulder bears the designation of Captain. An ornate longsword is belted to his hip "Hello everyone, Aeden DuMontt at your service." He strides over to one of the chairs and takes a seat, and although he is leaned back his eyes flit about and one hand is rested on the hilt of his sword casually. "I look forward to some lucrative adventures with you all."
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #93242

Karag roars a single loud laugh as the Tiefling regards the furniture.

"MAINLANDERS BUILD THEIR WALLS LIKE THEY BUILD THIS TABLE. BOWBREAKER SMASHES THEIR WALLS, KILLS THE MEN WHO BUILD THEM. NEXT SEASON, THE WALLS CANNOT BE SMASHED DOWN. BRING BOWBREAKER THE MAN WHO BUILT THIS AND WE WILL SIT AROUND THE BEST TABLE IN ALL MAINLAND COME NEXT SEASON."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #93356

Aeden gives a chuckle. "Well then, how about we get down to business, hmm? We are all here for the same enterprise, i assume. Any expedition in this god forsaken cold will require quite a bit of forward thought."
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Burer

Post by Burer » #93358

A dwarf with oddly sleek muscles (for a dwarf) nervously enters the room. He wears a dirty leather coat ill-fitted for him, that has the bright colors and frills suggesting nobility; under that, crude studded leather. His white skin (which clashes with his black hair) appears to be tinted with grey ash but you come to realize that is his actual color. He is brandishing two cups of what you assume is alcohol due to the smell of it on his body. He struggles to sit on a chair and looks cautiously at his fellow contacts. He speaks in a low-tone voice, "Hello lads, me name be Biggs Burlen. I hope ta make good money with ye all."
Last edited by Burer on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
danno

Post by danno » #93386

You see before you a relatively tall woman, probably in her 20s, long black hair falling around broad shoulders. Beneath a fur cloak, padded fur clothing and partly dyed blue studded leather armor hides the silhouette of a muscular, sturdy build. The frayed edges of a leather tunic lead down to a pair of worn pants, ending in the thick fur lining of snug leather boots, still crusted with fresh snow. Under the hood of the coat lay two braids, looping gently from above the forehead back into the recesses of the hood, beneath which two clear blue eyes peer forward. Her visage appears attractive, save for the faded remains of a two inch or so long pale purple scar leading up from her left cheek and under her eye, but even this does not belie the seriousness with which she stares.

She speaks in a clear and confident voice.
"I am Mariya Fletcher, son of Evel."
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #93427

In the distance the sound of wooden pipes clanking together can be heard, steadily getting louder. In the doorway appears a lanky shaped ashen grey man in a tattered robe, on his shoulder rests what appears to be a bagpipe. Short horns raise out of his head just above his bushy black eyebrows, below them his white eyes stand out in the dark room. He slowly looks around the room before cracking a smile.

"I knew Knoss was full of some ugly sons of bitches, but I never expected them to be this ugly!" he says while grinning from ear to ear. He pauses for a moment before saying in a more serious manner while walking towards the table and taking an open seat "My name is Bizarre, I'm glad to meet you lot."
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #93435

"Oh you are here for the jesting, da? This is good! I have many jesters back in castle of my lands!"
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #93454

A man descends from the stairs, looking rather grumpy. Standing just under two meters, the red-haired man is taller than everyone in the room, save for Karag. He wears thick woollen clothes, red trimmed with white fur, and a long, flowing black cloak.

"Greetings, everyone. I am Baron Brandon Aldren. While we have all the time in the world at this awful little outpost, we're very short on patience, so I'll make this quick. King James Miller the Brave wants this entire godsforsaken wasteland conquered. That means laying down foundation, building roads, and stuff I doubt you're smart enough to accomplish. This also means pacifying the locals, culling any dangerous wildlife, and exploring it enough to give us a good idea of what we're getting ourselves into even though we all know it's nothing good." He stops to look over you before taking his seat at the table. "And that's why you're here. The King's offering a commission for any task you accomplish and bring proof of. That means bounties, maps, riches, anything you think the King may be interested, bring it in."

He decides not to wait for your reactions before spreading a map across the table. The map is mostly blank, save for an approximate drawing of Knoss and some places near where you're pretty sure you're currently situated. He points first to a castle. "This is the Kingmaker Outpost," he says, lacing the name with badly-hidden distaste. "Where we're currently seated. Around us, there's the River's Head to the North, which is currently suffering a monster problem. East of that is the Leopard's Lands, where a bandit king has set up shop. We'd like him either brought to heel or removed entirely. Next to that, the Badlands. I warn you right now, stay the hell away from that place. That's something it's going to take more than six or seven men to clear. To our east is the Dead Marches. Patrols we've sent there have reported back saying that the dead walk there, and any they kill get up almost as soon as they hit the ground. To our south is Queensland, a monument to that infernal Queen who we just got rid of... What was it, two hundred years ago? Three? The locals refuse to go there, but the locals don't have the King's will telling them to go there. Next to that's the Fangs. Two giant cities made of dragons' teeth." He stops to take a swig from a rather strong-smelling liquid. "And that just leaves the Walking Wastes. Giant hordes of beasts. Very nasty."

The Baron stands up, dusting off his seat. "I'll leave you to decide where to go first. Don't die. The King protects."
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #93460

Karag stabs a massive finger into the map in the terroritories described as the Leopard's Lands.

"PRIDE OF ARAMANKATHI NEVER RAID SO FAR INLAND. THEIR WALLS WILL BE WEAK. THOSE WHO TAKE NEVER EXPECT TO BE TAKEN FROM."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #93469

Aeden nods. "Karag makes a good point, they will likely not be expecting an assault. And what is more, it is close by. I don't know about you all, but I do not have much in the way of coin and we need to fund this expedition somehow. Plundering the plunderers is a good way to gain some funding for the rest of our enterprises."
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
danno

Post by danno » #93472

Mariya shrugs, thumb sliding along the edge of her hatchet. "Sounds about as good a place to start as any of them."
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #93473

Karag nods approvingly to Aeden and Mariya. He waves dismissively to the rest of the map.

"HUNTING BEASTS IS UNKNOWN. A CORNERED ANIMAL IS STRONG. IN ARAMANKATHI MANY WAYS TO KILL A MAN ARE KNOWN. A MAN BREAKS WHERE A BEAST RAGES."

Karag pounds a massive fist into the Leopard's Lands

"TO HERE WE GO."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Burer

Post by Burer » #93476

Biggs nods and a wide grin appears on his face, "Sounds like ye fellas ken where tha party be, we go thar first." He takes both his drinks and pours them into his mouth, with half of the content spilling to the floor due to his drunken aim.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #93485

Bizarre leans backward and puts his hands on the back of his head before replying, "I've got to hand it to that rock over there, he knows his stuff. I'm not going to lie I'm not strong enough to go off on my own yet. If the big guy says we should go to the Leopard's Lands I sure as hell ain't gonna argue with him."
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #93487

Marko applauds the towering giant."I like big man, he very knowledgable about wall and hunting. I go with!"
Table Turning
Byond Username: Table Turning

Post by Table Turning » #93491

Joey sits looking into the distance, as if he's not even paying attention to what the others are saying, before suddenly bursting out "I've never ate Leopard-style before! I'm in." You can hear the stool he's sitting on getting closer to the breaking point.