Shadowrun 5th Ed

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Shadowrun 5th Ed

Post by Timbrewolf » #118126

Running a group for some locals. Let's discuss the latest and greatest of the new edition.

To get you up to speed with the big happenings of the late 2070's, check this shit out:

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Cogniti ... n_Disorder

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Technomancer
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Re: Shadowrun 5th Ed

Post by EndgamerAzari » #118195

I'm going to run a game having never played it myself. I am sure it will be a colossal failure.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #118375

Played it a few times with my group. I played a cybered up blatant ripoff of the punisher, god damn it was fun.

My advice? Learn the fucking matrix and spectral realm bullshit rules inside and out as well as planning ahead how you are going to use them. Shadowrun makes the questionable decision to have two whole very necessary systems take place in a complete subsystem seperate from the real world and it is pretty complex. If you do not incorporate these systems well your decker/mage will feel jilted and gameplay will get really bogged down.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #118511

In 5th ed every archetype has its own dedicated ruleset anyone playing it should know inside and out.

StreetSams should know everything about all the different kinds of called shots and how best to use them in a firefight. They should know what the different called shots martial arts styles get do and how to use them in melee combat to the best effect. Know your guns, know your gear, know your ware.

Deckers (and to a pretty decent extent, Riggers also) need to know cybercombat and matrix actions inside and out. You should know what Technomancers are and what they can do even if you aren't playing what. Learn what Sprites and Agents are and what they can do for you. Study your programs.

Riggers need to know the rules for vehicle combat and what skills are appropriate to what particular feats of mechanical manslaughter you're trying to cause. Know what drones do what and what they can do for you even if you just want to be the wheelman. Know how high-speed chases and stunts you can pull off even if you aren't the team's driver. Understand enough of cybercombat to know how to prevent someone else from cutting in and stealing control of your shit. Be even better and learn how to cut in and steal other people's shit.

Mages have a lot on their plate but each individual thing is pretty simple compared to what a Decker has to go through. Spellcasting, Conjuring, and hanging out on the astral plane are each different things but are often pretty straightforward. What people often forget to pay attention to are the rules for things like Counterspelling and Banishing. If you have a mage in your party and you get blasted by a random spell out of the blue without any kind of spell defense dice from them they're not paying attention. If you're watching a mage battle a spirit by throwing spells at it instead of attempting to banish it either they have a really gimped build, are some kind of adept, or some kind of moron.

Shadowrun is complicated as fuck as a whole and GM'ing it is a mental circus because you need to know how to do all of these things at once. You will wind up at some point GM'ing a scene in which the runners are hauling ass down a dirt road in the jungle firing guns out of the bed of a pickup truck at a giant insect spirit while someone is hacking into a UV-grade security orbital defense platform to call in a strike on the nearby hive.

GM'ing Shadowrun is the pinnacle of crunch artistry. Taking all this ridiculousness and making it into a cohesive, awesome, fun thing that flows well requires talent.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #124747

We tried this a while back and it fell the fuck apart, would anyone [coughanon3cough] be willing to run a /tg/station Shadowrun campaign?

e: an0n fuck off with that avatar those stupid dog cat things give me the giggles every time I see them
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #127559

Nah, I wouldn't want to run anything here again. Too many failures, both mine and others I've witnessed.

Conveniently I have a bunch of real-life games in progress to occupy my time, but even if I didn't (and I don't mean this as any personal offense to you) I wouldn't try again. It just never works out, no matter what game anyone tries to run.

It sucks but I look at every other game and it's just an endurance contest to see how long they can go before burning out. On average it seems to be about what a single night of playing around a table would get. Maybe three combats or roughly 4-5 scenes total.

Then it dies.

I would like to be able to just blame myself for being a poor GM but it happens whether I'm running it, playing it, or not involved at all.

I would highly recommend you check out https://www.digg.com/r/RunnerHub/ if you want a fun way to play Shadowrun online with random folks. It works! I may or may not be mixed in there in some capacity. You never know!
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: