centcom lore

I cast magic missile at the darkness
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

centcom lore

Post by tuypo1 » #126511

current lore according to the wiki is that centcom lacks cloners I have never seen anybody act like this is the case would anybody at all be against changing that.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: centcom lore

Post by Steelpoint » #126512

People make up their own lore.

Also I ain't going to comment on Centcom and cloners since I'm sure it'll drag out a argument as people point to other editing the lore page and then saying their view of the situation is correct.

The only piece of lore that is infallible is that Lizards are second class citizens.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126513

in that case it should probably just not say anything about cloners so people can make up there own minds
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126514

Contradicting what I said but yes, from what I recall its been established that not only do Centcom not have any Cloners, but that Cloning technology is not even a Nanotrasen invention.

There is some lore to Cloners if you look into it, mainly in that everyone has a implant that continually transmits information to the cloning machine so that as soon as they die all the information in their brain is, somehow, transmitted and saved to be uploaded to a new body.

Don't quote me but I heard from some people that being cloned also leaves a actual implant on your person.

But yeah, only SS13 and a few other expensive station's have cloning tech, and cloning technology is still in its infancy.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126518

well the implant thing is definintly true it tracks them on the cloner.that upload thing is an interesting i have allways just operated on the assumption its the ghost that brings your memory and personality back. I guess it is prety new tech the book is called cloning technicques of the 26th century after all.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #126534

The only established parts of the lore are:
- You work for NT, a megacorp of XXVI century.
- You are often attacked by the Syndicate, who oppose NT
- Your station exists because of plasma, research and plasma research
- NT and syndicate are the only global players you can reach easily.
- There are other dangers, like cults and aliens
- Your station is supported by Centcomm
- There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting adm... I mean, gods.
- Humans rule the NT, and look down upon the semi-humans

That's mostly the only universally agreed list.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #126536

The whole "Clowns and Mimes are from their own civilizations, and there is tension between them" is pretty accepted as well.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126540

Define 'established' since established lore seems to form a combination of player behaviours and expectations, writting lore on the wiki and general historical facts of the game.

If we really want to nit pick it down to the core, the only firmly agreed upon part of our lore is the hiring of Lizards by NT and the discrimination they suffer since that part of the lore was writtin and voted upon to become our lore. Everything else is implied or historical.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #126551

By "Established" I meant "relatively not challenged". Things like rarity of Syndicate attacks, your nature of employment etc. are different from player canon to player cannon (and that goes without mentioning all disputed parts of it, like cloning), but these fit most current player canons. Of course, this is entirely subjective, and I am not really willing to go digging though all item descriptions in code to establish the official official one. Besides, it's just like the wiki, only editor base is smaller and less (or sometimes more) likely to force their views on others

Although, truth to be told, only the lizard bit is REALLY universally accepted (and even then some dare to challenge it, dammit).
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #126557

I always kinda assumed that the ss13verse functions on completely separate laws of physics than our own. Namely the human mind is present within the soul, which can move about freely after death but must return for the body to come to life again. This is why catatonics are effectively empty meat suits and why you can not make multiple clones of someone.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126563

Normal cloning would essentially be creating a copy of a life form, its not the same person but a new unique life form with its own concious. So if the original died they will still be dead even if cloned.

However our cloning tech takes this a step up and is able to copy and save someone's brain patterns and then transfer them over to a new body. Meaning the clone is the same person, albeit with a new body.

One can argue that the reason why you can't clone someone multiple times is due to there only being one conciousness to upload, also you could argue the machine has inbuilt safeguards to prevent additional clones being made, or copies of the original person.

But at this junction we are moving more towards headcanon. The only part of cloning that is really true lore wise is the brain chips in people who are cloned transmitting date, and the bit about Cloning tech being a new form of technology that was not made by NT.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #126592

There was a theory flying around once that in order to clone someone you need their soul, and that syndicate "Kill by the time shuttle docks" objectives are just kidnapping crew by cloning them at SyndiHQ when the round ends (NT being sloppy, and maybe you need to prepare cloner, or whatever, we don't have industrial cloners here only regular experimental ones)
I play:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #126595

^^ that fits really well with the "souls are real" physics and i thought it was super cool

@steelpoint i have never heard of this brain chip thing at all, let alone it being concrete established cannon. When was this decided?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126742

its worth noting the lore on lizards has centcom not mind them just the goverment.

Im going to go ahead and remove the no cloners bit and let people work on there own headcannon.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #126750

we generally avoid fucking with teh lore pages on the wiki, since at this point it's just historical
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126761

I suppose your right
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #126762

Steelpoint wrote: There is some lore to Cloners if you look into it, mainly in that everyone has a implant that continually transmits information to the cloning machine so that as soon as they die all the information in their brain is, somehow, transmitted and saved to be uploaded to a new body.

Don't quote me but I heard from some people that being cloned also leaves a actual implant on your person.
Oh hey, I wrote that, years ago!
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126765

I think the lore on the cloners is written in the cloning books in game.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #126769

Steelpoint wrote:I think the lore on the cloners is written in the cloning books in game.
I'm not sure how old those are; I know a lot of our in-game literature was overhauled a few years back, though.

Memory chips was my way of trying to explain how someone can wake up from vat cloning with their experiences intact, especially between-rounds (not in a meta way, just continuity). I wrote them for Cobb when I sat down to think of a proper backstory for the first time (back when Cobb clones were young), and several people picked it up.

I couldn't tell you whether the writing you encountered was my doing, directly or indirectly, or came about seperately without seeing it, though. I'll work on that.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126776

Who knows.

The problem is not only does no one want to commit to setting up any lore, but any attempts to do so usually get bogged down in long arguments over minor details, see cloning.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126783

well the cloner has some way of tracking the health of anybody scaned into the cloner it shows in there cloning record
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126784

tuypo1 wrote:well the cloner has some way of tracking the health of anybody scaned into the cloner it shows in there cloning record
Because as noted it leaves a chip inside a cloned person. A actual in game chip.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126827

exactly in fact my theory is that is how suit sensors work all the jumpsuit does is pickup and transmit the signal fromW and provide the location the cloner does not need the suit to boost the signle because it has there genetic data (that or centcom is to cheap to give the crew moniters the new tech the cloner gets)

but then what about podmen the cloner cant get there info unless there scanned in and the scanner could implant them but what about suit sensors before then and what about cloners tracking there health from a scan before they became plants.

Probably something its best not to think about to much (the health tracking that is the keeping memorys from after your last scan can easily be ghosts.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #126858

Space magic. Same reason why singularity is more than an infinitely dense point, doesn't suck in entire station (gravity of even stage one-sized black hole is higher than earth), why wizards are wizards and (insert antag related stuff here)
I play:
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126904

well wizards are easy they are wizards because they studied magic.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126905

Steelpoint wrote:Who knows.

The problem is not only does no one want to commit to setting up any lore, but any attempts to do so usually get bogged down in long arguments over minor details, see cloning.
also lizards in nuke ops and erts.