Ryuutama - Comfy Japanese Oregon Trail TRPG

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Ryuutama - Comfy Japanese Oregon Trail TRPG

Post by Cheridan » #204271

I started playing this as a cheap backup game for when I had D&D sessions that were short players, but I quickly found myself charmed. My last tabletop group has dissolved (as they tend to), but I'd like to start playing again.
Ryuutama calls itself a “Natural Fantasy RPG”. It is a fantasy role-playing game set in a western medieval-style setting. The conceit of this setting is that at one point, in everyone’s lives, people get this intense feeling of wanderlust. They put their daily lives on hold and travel the world with new-found companions. They find out more about the world, and at the same time learn about themselves.

Ryuutama emphasizes travel, exploration, community, friendship, harmony and growth. There is also a “Console RPG-like” combat system: But while combat certainly happens, it’s not the central focus of the game. Adventures usually involve traveling from one town to another, packing gear, crafting items, cooking and sharing along the way; getting lost, meeting people and (sometimes cute) monsters along the way; braving the elements and trying to set camp properly.
If you'd like to learn more, the rulebook can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/pptbo ... AL_1.0.pdf
With a supplement addition here, featuring an alternate player race and the pirate class: http://www.kotohi.com/ryuutama/rt_data/ ... e_2014.pdf

It's really interesting to see how Western and Japanese tabletop games have evolved differently. Rather than being an invisible godlike force, Ryuutama's DM gets his own character, a young dragon, who provides subtle benefits to the party, at the cost of its HP -- it can even die if it interferes too much! Ryuutama also forgoes D&D's meticulous simulationism (do you seriously expect me to keep track of the weight of my gold coins? fuck you). Mechanically, its almost more like a board game. Combat is the same way. I've always hated how D&D assumes that you're playing on a grid, with all movement and attack radii measured in ft. You can try to play it "theater of the mind" style, but that just leads to constant HEY DM HOW FAR AWAY IS THAT GOBLIN, AGAIN?? Ryuutama abstracts that into a frontline/backline system (similar to Etrian Odyssey and other vidya games, if you're familiar with them). Fightan mans go in front, archery and magic mans go in the back.

If you're interested in playing, post here with a character (Name, Type, Class, Stats, Weapon. Don't worry about inventory yet) and when you're available. Games will be hosted on roll20.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Ryuutama - Comfy Japanese Oregon Trail TRPG

Post by Wyzack » #204285

I am in a shitload of games right now but i am intrigued.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Firebat1234
Byond Username: Firebat4321

Post by Firebat1234 » #204293

I am not in a shitload of games right now (besides Tuesday and every other Thursday) but I too am intrigued.
I'm looking through the rulebook now.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #204324

This game is mega weeb but in a charming way. I think i would like to try it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #204361

Read over the rules.
I'd be down to play a game and maybe come back for more if I like it.
I'm on EST time, and since my summer class is over, I'm pretty much off everyday.
I'd prefer an evening game and I can't play on Tuesdays (Savage World: Deadlands game) or every other Thursday (Mutants and Masterminds game).

Name: Mortimer
Type: Magic
Class: Healer (Herbalist)
Stats: [STR:4], [DEX:4], [INT:8], [SPI:8]
Weapon: Light Blade (Dagger)

Mortimer is an old-timer Herbalist from a sleepy little forest town.
He and his wife were the village's only physicians for a time until Mortimer's wife passed away of illness and old age.
Wanting to come to terms with his wife's passing, Mortimer decided a journey might be in order; maybe collect some flowers in a book like his wife once did.
He might not be as fast or as strong as the younger crowd, but he's pretty smart and knows a bit about treating a wound.
And his skills in magic help as well.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #204367

I wasn't allowed to play Big Boss
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #204368

Also this game doesnt have dysentery its not oregon trail
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #204394

Awesome Firebat, that's perfect.
iamgoofball wrote:Also this game doesnt have dysentery its not oregon trail
There's a sickness status effect!! It's just up to the players to RP the bloody diarrhea.

It's Oregon Trail, right down to the ability to go with this as your loadout:
1284156180944.jpg
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #204405

I am also est, and i can't do Thursday or every other Wednesday.

Also I'll make a character when I get home from work today
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #204440

Cheridan wrote:There's a sickness status effect!! It's just up to the players to RP the bloody diarrhea.

It's Oregon Trail, right down to the ability to go with this as your loadout
I laughed when I saw you can buy a goddamn grandfather clock.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #204444

I am thinking of going Artisan and being a travelling brewer/handyman. Will crunch through chargen when i have time today
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #204674

Name: Brom
Type: Attack
Class: Artisan (Brewmaster)
Stats: [STR:8], [DEX:4], [INT:6], [SPI:6]
Weapon: Battle Axe

Brom is a massive and boisterous man with a great red beard and a towering frame.
He comes from a larger city where he makes his living brewing beer and spirits, and has gained quite a reputation for it.
He has a spirit for adventure and regularly ventures into the wilderness to get special ingredients and travel to other towns. He also has a knack for fixing things, and carries a great steel battleaxe when travelling in dangerous places
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #204676

Wyzack wrote:Brom is a massive and boisterous man with a great red beard and a towering frame.
He comes from a larger city where he makes his living brewing beer and spirits, and has gained quite a reputation for it.
He has a spirit for adventure and regularly ventures into the wilderness to get special ingredients and travel to other towns. He also has a knack for fixing things, and carries a great steel battleaxe when travelling in dangerous places
Stronk man.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #204689

That is kinda what i was going for. I Figured artisan would be a good fit because i can also contribute in other less smashy ways than combat such as fixing things and creating stuff to make us money.

The real question now is does Cheridan want to wait to get more people in the game
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #204716

My vote is on trying to rope in one more person.
I COULD try asking my bud if he wants to play.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #204817

I've got another player lined up for sure, possibly 2. So that should do just fine! I'll finish up what I need to do on my end, and if its good with everyone we can have our first game on Sunday. I'll shoot you guys the game invite link.
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #204864

My man says he has to pass; he's already in four games this week.
What time Sunday are we looking at?
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #205088

Well you said you'd prefer evening games. I don't really have a preference myself so that's fine with me, and Wyzack hasn't signed up to the game on roll20 yet so that might be for the best anyway to give him a chance to do so. So like... 6pm EST? I'm Central time so that should give me enough time to grab dinner before we start.
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #205091

Cheridan wrote:Well you said you'd prefer evening games. I don't really have a preference myself so that's fine with me, and Wyzack hasn't signed up to the game on roll20 yet so that might be for the best anyway to give him a chance to do so. So like... 6pm EST? I'm Central time so that should give me enough time to grab dinner before we start.
I'm good for 6. I might be a bit late, but I'll be there.
Are we using the voice chat over roll20? Or do we want to use Discord?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #205166

Hey sorry for the delay. Normally Sundays are no good for me but today actually works fine, see you guys at 6
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #205355

Brom, Mortimer, and Crin Oves the merchant (played by Stillchr), embarked today from the town of Ifa west towards Wellspring, an idyllic port town and trade hub surrounded by a crystal clear lake, accompanied by their 2 trusty pack animals.
f7ExAj8.png
Before they left, Mortimer gathered a Sunset Hime apple, a potent healing fruit, and their adventure started off pretty smoothly, though Crin had a minor incident along the way when she fell off Woolworth, her oversized sheep. By nightfall they met a young weather-reader who warned them that the next day would bring heavy rains. Mortimer and Crin set up camp while Brom used his mighty axe to gather wood for the fire and after prepared a nice dinner.
True to the weatherteller's word, they awoke to the sound of thunder. Mortimer used a ritual incantation to summon each traveler a leafy umbrella to shelter them though disaster struck when a mudslide swept through the group, injuring them all, Brom especially badly. Finding shelter under a large tree, Mortimer used the herb he found earlier to mix a healing remedy to cure his wounds. Things still looked dire however... until he looked again for herbs and found that the tree they were under was a Sunset Hime tree! Salvation!
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #205365

Those apples were a perfectly timed gift from god.

Game was very comfy and the roleplay was good.
I'd recommend this game for anyone looking for an easy system to play that promotes comfy roleplaying.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #206889

Hey dudes, we wanna run this again this week?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #206908

I should be down for it, yeah.
I have another game on Tuesday though, but my Thursdays opened up now.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #207288

cheridan pls respond
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #207299

Yeah sure, just a matter of scheduling. Sorry for not posting sooner, life's been like an aeroplane lately. Wyzack already said Thursdays were no good (I assume that still applies). Is this one of the 'every other' Wednesdays that's good for you? Otherwise we could shoot for Friday or Saturday.
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #207300

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Wednesdays are also free. GM wanted to take a break from Mutants and Masterminds.
I'm helping a family friend move on Wednesday though, but if we play a little later on in the day like last time, I should be fine.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #207384

Wednesday is probably good for me. Tonight would work too if you guys can do it. Also cheri Anon3 wanted to get in on the game if we have room for one more but he cannot post in this forum
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #207440

Also since space cops is done i am free every wednesday now
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #207535

Ok, cool. Wednesday it is then. Same time as before sounds good, 6 EST. See you guys there.
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #207557

Uh. Nevermind!
Apparently I am helping this person move at 7 PM, not AM.
I uh, guess they have work or something?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #209220

Hey guys so tonight is out for me, it is my best friend's birthday and we are doing things. How does tomorrow sound?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #209224

Beh. What a shame; I wanted to play tonight.
But I'm good for Wednesday, yeah.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #209396

I wouldn't mind jumping in, maybe come across my IC doing something stupid, really I skimmed through so I don't know how/when you gets get together; I wager discord but anyways im mainly free all day due to working overnights.

Name: Geo
Type: Technical Type
Class: Hunter
Stats: [STR:8], [DEX:8], [INT:4], [SPI:4]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If allowed I'd like these stats instead, I know there only the three types of sets but I figure why not:
[STR:10], [DEX:10], [INT:3], [SPI:1]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weapon: Blade (Long Sword)

Geo is your standard Monster Hunter with a bit of cowardice, standing slighty shorter than your average man but ridiculously fitter than most.
Coming from a small town he was often bullied by the girls in the school yard which forced him to get fit enough to not get his ass handed to him by your local flower girl.
Most Hunters that are paired with Geo try and keep an eye on him when taking down large prey, mainly because he has a very bad habit of using people as human shields while waiting for a opportune moment to strike a critical blow.
He also has a hard time talking to girls.

I'm aware having low INT might fuck me over in skill use, but then again being fairly useless is always a fun thing.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Firebat1234

Post by Firebat1234 » #209483

srifenbyxp wrote:> Monster Hunter
> Longsword
Boy you look'n to trip us all?
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #209503

Are you implying that I won't? But mainly I'd figure vertical slashes with the occasional stab and maybe a trip horizontal.

While the job title is similar to Capcoms monster hunter, it is instead your fancy Ryuutama monster hunter. Hunters trapping skill allows you to harvest materials, so it's not totally the same; kind of.

honk honk
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #209523

Your stats are not really stats in the DnD sense, they are the dice you roll when using that stat. The way you have your character set up he is one of the dumbest human beings on earth (normal people not usually able to go below a D4) and you will almost always fail or crit fail any tests involving spirit, and tests that use only spirit you will automatically critically fail. You have no focus, bravery or strength of character whatsoever. You are a sniviling coward the likes of which has never before been seen on this plain of existence.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #209600

I'm freed, and can post in this thread now.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #209601

Wyzack wrote:Your stats are not really stats in the DnD sense, they are the dice you roll when using that stat. The way you have your character set up he is one of the dumbest human beings on earth (normal people not usually able to go below a D4) and you will almost always fail or crit fail any tests involving spirit, and tests that use only spirit you will automatically critically fail.

Oh fine, i'll go with [STR:6], [DEX:8], [INT:6], [SPI:4]. A happy medium,

Actually took the time and read the manuals, can't have odd numbers and starting stats can't go over 8. I'll read the manual more tomorrow whilst I'm on the way to school so come game day if allowed to jump in I'll have some knowledge. I'll even photoshop the charcter information onto the character sheet template for fun.

Wyzack wrote:You have no focus, bravery or strength of character whatsoever. You are a sniviling coward the likes of which has never before been seen on this plain of existence.
Why thank you good sir, may I have another?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #209622

I hope you like PIPES

[youtube]Q8O5wcIrM50[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #209632

Srifen I think we're at a good amount of players right now. However if we get more people wanting in I wouldn't mind running a second group!
Also yeah that second stat spread is not valid at all. Nothing can go below a 2, ever. The 'Tumbling Nest' monster has 2 Int and its literally a bunch of rats in a tumbleweed.

Anyway, storytime! Brom Brom, Crin, and Mortimer were joined under the tree by Felim Teige, a wandering minstrel seeking to leave his home behind. After getting acquainted and tending to the last of the party's bruises, a rustle was heard nearby! It was a young nekogoblin lad named Jotaro who was hiding. Though he was initially afraid of the group, they proved to be no threat to each other, and Felim was able to help him find the prized earrings. In return, he gave him a Large Umbrella! Afterwards, the heavy rain finally gave way and the group was able to move on. However... Mortimer wasn't able to decipher Crin's map very well. Holding the map upside down, the course he set would have sent them right back to where they were a day later! Seeing that his wards were in trouble, their guardian dragon used his energy reserves to rewind time. In this new timeline, Mortimer's guidance easily lead them to their destination, though Brom had an unfortunate spill along the way. It wasn't enough to faze him for long however and as the sun set, the glimmering lanterns of Wellspring could be seen reflecting off of the crystal water.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #209727

Guess I'll wait for the next adventure, or mayhaps until somebody dies.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #210752

Having finally made it to Wellspring's port, the crew now had to find a way across the lake and into the island itself. Making their way through the busy port, they found an expensive-looking ferryboat operated by a snooty upperclass merchant. The crew was unable to pay his outrageous fee, but thankfully a konekogoblin named Stix presented himself and offered to ferry them across in his handmade raft in exchange for food and ale. However, as soon as they hit open water they were accosted by a pair of nekogoblin pirates demanding their valuables! Felim swung first, but the blade flew off its hilt, and the pirates counter-attacked, injuring him. Brom flew into a rage, and knocked the pirate captain out with a single blow of his axe! Mortimer followed up with a mighty blast of magic, and the swashbucklers were done for. They continued across the still, dark water and finally arrived at Wellspring proper, where they checked out an inn and got some much-needed bedrest.
8KeGpye.jpg
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #210808

Comfy adventures was amazing as always. I very nearly accidentally gibbed the pirate but what did he realistically expect. Brom gave them two chances to walk away and they stabbed his friend. At least now we are back in the comforts of civilization, at least for a time
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster