Is the Captain above space law?

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Is the Captain above space law?

Post by iamgoofball » #623931

We had a shift where the Captain killed a dude by icebox HoP line trapdoor dunking him down to the icemoon wastes FNR, resulting in him getting decapitated somehow and ending up in medbay as a head. When we attempted to apprehend the captain for this, he proceeded to purge the AI and hide out on the AI sat, until revs occured and we all died. The Captain justified it as his station, his rules. It was all for naught because Nuke Ops won the Revolution with a nuke.

Is the Captain above Space Law?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Is the Captain above space law?

Post by wesoda25 » #623932

I think you’re wrong to fixate on space law since afaik we are very clear that it has no administrative backing. There might be some exceptions to this, not sure, but I definitely don’t think it’s smart to endorse it with any rulings. A more appropriate question would probably just be “is this acceptable captain play.”
[this space reserved]
Donpedrito
Byond Username: Donpedrito

Post by Donpedrito » #623985

Yeah, the answer to "is X above space law?" is yes 100% of the time, at least administratively. That does kind of sound like the captain broke the rules about 5 different ways though so space law isn't really relevant.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #624016

oocly yes

icly... maybe? i could see it changing between rounds depending on how hos would enforce it
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #624040

Not really for policy since space law is an IC restriction, not OOC. That said, no, they're not above space law - at least as much as security are willing to enforce that.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #624056

The way I see it is that security officers are officers of the station, not NanoTrasen- no matter how patriotic they might be. Because central command doesn't enforce space law, then that must mean space law is station side only. If space law is only applied in the station, and security officers serve the station, then the owner of the station must be either the law or above the law. So in that case the Captain, who "owns" and is responsible for the station, should be able to mend or entirely ignore space law for themselves.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #624071

Above Space Law IC: Nah (If you actually believe in space law)

Above Space Law OOC: Yah

Above Server Rules: Nah
Hugs
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #624082

The captain like the HOS is in a weird place of "He's basically above space law IC as long as he doesnt piss his security team off by being too much of a shit that they apply it to him", but as other posters have said it doesnt actually matter at all whether he is.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #626392

we checked the code and uhh
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #626400

iamgoofball wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:40 pm we checked the code and uhh
I too, believe, that we should base tg policy on dumb crap coders put into the codebase and a fanfiction book about jurisdiction on a corporate station that was allegedly written by redditors
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #626428

code doesn't trump server policy
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #626435

Flatulent wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:32 pm
I too, believe, that we should base tg policy on dumb crap coders put into the codebase and a fanfiction book about jurisdiction on a corporate station that was allegedly written by redditors
This but unironically
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #626464

Who is "we"?
Do you have a team of coders on stand-by to try and find snippets of code for your argument? Is this some kind of secret goofball coder cabal conspiracy?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #626470

let the players decide during the rounds, I think the captain can be a bit of a powertripper but I wouldn't care if someone punished him for it, karma and whatnot also I think its interesting if pulled off right, also I should add by being a powertripper I don't mean I am approving someone being a griefer there is nuance to what I say
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #626740

Space Law is an RP suggestion and doesn't factor into server rules; the captain can be arrested by security if they have a valid reason.

Headmin Votes:
NamelessFairy: Agree
Dragomagol: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: