Codify the Instantgib rifle as a license to kill

HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Codify the Instantgib rifle as a license to kill

Post by HeyHey » #657585

On Lrp the instant gib rifle often leads to mass murder. Instead of having having to fear that you'll catch a ban for using it as intended (mass murder). Holding the instant gib rifle should grant you antagonist status as long as you have it in your possession.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Re: Codify the Instantgib rifle as a license to kill

Post by iain0 » #657586

A TTV is intended for mass murder therefor it should give you antagonist status to hold it?

I mean, I get where you're coming from with the whole xmas thing, but then its a slippery slope to every other stupid thing from the tree being valid. But your logic about "intended purpose" doesn't really make a lot of sense.
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #657587

I get what you mean but a TTV can be made be made by anyone who reads the wiki and goes to sci, there is no rarity or seasonality to a TTV. A better example is that the die of fate can turn someone willingly into a wizard, this is fine because the die of fate is rare & there is a low chance of getting a 20. Having a 1/1000 chance per round of getting a instant kill rifle from your single present is much more like a die of fate than a TTV.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #657588

Indeed, its more that it came from the rare tree. But a lot of stuff does. I don't think its a good line to set, plenty of people wont have a clue whats going on when this happens and will assume its a general free for all with all xmas tree guns. Special snowflake policy.

( Edit: That said, someone run the numbers on how many times this possibly happens over a month. Also maybe just make it a code thing, then you can have the person get bigger and red and be obviously 'special' and given some antag datum, rather than just a policy thing. That said, you still have to sell people on the idea and idk that its actually a good idea in any way )
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #657613

I got an insta kill rifle from a tree a few days ago. Very rare regardless

I believe the tree can give you any item that is a subtype obj/item.
There are 5 variants of the insta kill rifle and thousands of subtypes of obj/item
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #657630

SkeletalElite wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:17 am I got an insta kill rifle from a tree a few days ago. Very rare regardless

There are 5 variants of the insta kill rifle and thousands of subtypes of obj/item
Just a small correction, there are 6 variants of the instakill rifle, 5 of which delete on drop.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #657649

SkeletalElite wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:17 am I got an insta kill rifle from a tree a few days ago. Very rare regardless

I'm pretty sure you can't get certain debug items.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #657686

Vekter wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't get certain debug items.

Unless said debug items aren't subtypes of obj/item, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've seen people with the admin modsuit before too, which has 100 armor in all stats
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #657696

We don't need more arbitrary licenses to kill being handed out. All I see resulting from this is more lol random murder sprees, where someone happens to get an instagib rifle and murder everyone in the most cheap way possible. This would only result in more bitching on everyone's part and more work for the admins when shitty ahelps are sent in and they have to investigate until they figure out that the murderspree guy had an instagib rifle.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #657728

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 pm We don't need more arbitrary licenses to kill being handed out. All I see resulting from this is more lol random murder sprees, where someone happens to get an instagib rifle and murder everyone in the most cheap way possible. This would only result in more bitching on everyone's part and more work for the admins when shitty ahelps are sent in and they have to investigate until they figure out that the murderspree guy had an instagib rifle.
The existence of this item is a headache for admins already though. Applying a policy around this extremely rare seasonal item would solve a lot of that headache.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #657736

HeyHey wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:49 am The existence of this item is a headache for admins already though. Applying a policy around this extremely rare seasonal item would solve a lot of that headache.
The headache and tears would only be exacerbated by people getting in shovingmatches for the antag stick.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #657807

This would be funny, make it so
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
serxule
Byond Username: Serxule

Post by serxule » #657981

HeyHey wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:26 am On Lrp the instant gib rifle often leads to mass murder. Instead of having having to fear that you'll catch a ban for using it as intended (mass murder).
no item is ever a license to kill unless you were already an antag, if someone decided to murder people with an instagib rifle as nonantag then thats (likely) a ban.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #657986

I +1 this. It should be like the green text. You lose antag status upon dropping it.
► Show Spoiler
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #657988

HeyHey wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:26 am On Lrp the instant gib rifle often leads to mass murder. Instead of having having to fear that you'll catch a ban for using it as intended (mass murder). Holding the instant gib rifle should grant you antagonist status as long as you have it in your possession.
But why exactly?

blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #658001

I agree that this is a problem because whether it is an instakill weapon for a christmas present or just something moderately powerful from an admin event, it usually creates a Chekhov's gun scenario where the crew has the weapon and instinctively wants to use it. The crew ends up fighting over who gets it, as the original owner just wants it because it is theirs and security often wants to confiscate/destroy it. Inevitably the weapon will eventually be used by a nonantag to kill an innocent (source: any round with a supermatter sword present).

This leaves us with two paths to cure this headache of a scenario, either remove these kinds of items from player's hands or give the players the right to use them.

Personally, I think giving the holder a brainwash-like objective to "protect the item at any cost!" would be best to still prevent murderboning with le epic gib rifle but also allow them to defend the item if sec is trying to steal it.
Weston Echard on Sybil
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #658003

Agux909 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:00 pm
HeyHey wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:26 am On Lrp the instant gib rifle often leads to mass murder. Instead of having having to fear that you'll catch a ban for using it as intended (mass murder). Holding the instant gib rifle should grant you antagonist status as long as you have it in your possession.
But why exactly?
It exists and any time it spawns there's a non zero chance of the round turning into an administrative headache due to its use.
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #658004

serxule wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:34 am
HeyHey wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:26 am On Lrp the instant gib rifle often leads to mass murder. Instead of having having to fear that you'll catch a ban for using it as intended (mass murder).
no item is ever a license to kill unless you were already an antag, if someone decided to murder people with an instagib rifle as nonantag then thats (likely) a ban.
But in practice it is used and at least recently did not result in a ban.
serxule

Post by serxule » #658005

HeyHey wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 pm
then either:
A. they were an antag
B. no admins were on
C. no one ahelped
D. both B and C
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #658009

HeyHey wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:55 pm
But why exactly?
It exists and any time it spawns there's a non zero chance of the round turning into an administrative headache due to its use.
And you don't think that an antag token being juggled around on and off is going to give the same or even worse administrative headaches?

Also, you're suggesting that a whole new rule or rule exception is put in place for an item that's only gonna be obtainable temporarily. It's kinda silly.

Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #658047

rule 0 already exists and I've seen it used on non-antag instagib rifle murderbones twice. I don't think anyone actually got a ban for it.
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #658074

serxule wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:00 pm
HeyHey wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 pm
then either:
A. they were an antag
B. no admins were on
C. no one ahelped
D. both B and C
Wrong
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #658075

Agux909 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:56 pm
HeyHey wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:55 pm
But why exactly?
And you don't think that an antag token being juggled around on and off is going to give the same or even worse administrative headaches?

Also, you're suggesting that a whole new rule or rule exception is put in place for an item that's only gonna be obtainable temporarily. It's kinda silly.
I’m suggesting treating it like when a miner gambles their life and gets wizard. In that case the wizard IS an antagonist and doesn’t have to spend the round gimped but when someone gets the instant kill rifle they are hamstrung against using it. Another example of the grey zone here is romerol via Christmas tree. Yesterday someone got it, asked who wanted to be sprayed and consensually caused a zombie outbreak. Even with admins on they escaped punishment.
serxule

Post by serxule » #658095

HeyHey wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:39 pm
I’m suggesting treating it like when a miner gambles their life and gets wizard.
miner is a bad example, as the slot machine you can just keep using the slot machine, get cryo to fix cell damage, repeat
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #658098

HeyHey wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:49 am The existence of this item is a headache for admins already though. Applying a policy around this extremely rare seasonal item would solve a lot of that headache.
The headache is only happening because they're spawning the tree/santa. The present tree is only naturally spawned between the 23rd and 27th, ditto for the santa event.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #658108

Striders13 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 am rule 0 already exists and I've seen it used on non-antag instagib rifle murderbones twice. I don't think anyone actually got a ban for it.
Multiple people in the past have gotten banned for mass murder (>3 kills) with an instagib rifle on Christmas.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #658110

Double-posting to share my own opinion: Dumb idea. Will just massively derail the round even more than it already does. Doesn't let anyone else enjoy their presents and results in everyone rushing down one guy for free antag.

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #658116

mrmelbert wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:23 am Double-posting to share my own opinion: Dumb idea. Will just massively derail the round even more than it already does. Doesn't let anyone else enjoy their presents and results in everyone rushing down one guy for free antag.

What if all of them deleted upon drop rather then just a few of them

Drop your I win gun and the threat is gone
► Show Spoiler
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #658147

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:14 am What if all of them deleted upon drop rather then just a few of them

Drop your I win gun and the threat is gone
At that point you're either A. Suggesting a code change (One I don't necessarily agree with, why would we "balance" something over the Christmas tree. Also this is policy discussion)
or B. Suggesting an admin adds DROPDEL to it when they notice one's spawned, which at that point would be covered under Rule 0

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #658202

If you get the Instagib Rifle just ahelp and ask for permission and (probably) get the Rule 0 protection because the admin said you could.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #658219

If someone tries to steal your instagib rifle you should definitely be allowed to shoot them with it.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659863

License to kill? Eh. There is tons of other Instant kill stuff too. It's destined to be a mess if it's allowed in any shape or form.

But when it comes to presents as mentioned in this thread earlier: Don't be a damn Grinch, be happy playing with your own damn presents.

That being said I've never really batted an eye when someone tries to steal your weapon of mass destruction Christmas present or tries to kill you for having it and gets blasted. Obviously that's just me though and not everyone. So you're bound to be running blind with this unless you ahelp.
Hugs
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #659888

None of us are interested in going through with this policy change in any way. Just because you got a cool present doesn't mean that you must use (or be otherwise punished for pulling the gift unexpectedly under Rule 4). It's not a very logical conclusion to reach given the context of the game and implementing this would rely on a stipulation only found buried somewhere in the rules.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.