Talking mimes and shoeless clowns

Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Talking mimes and shoeless clowns

Post by Slignerd » #278112

It is common theme to expect of clowns to keep their shoes on and mimes not to talk - it's pretty much a part of their role.

Crew tends to enforce that expectation well - though there seems to be some confusion regarding that. I have to admit, for a long time I believed that clowns who take off shoes or mimes who talk are free game - about as much as anyone reading erotica on the radio. Well, that was until I was told off for participating in such lynching.

So, there's something I want to clear up - is there any standing policy on that matter? While there's sometimes a good reason for mimes to talk, or clowns to change shoes, such as talking with security or equipping magboots when there's no gravity, there are also some less justified situation - like players such as Grandmaster Honk taking off shoes about as early as the round begins and never wearing them afterwards.

I'd like to clear up what is, and isn't allowed here.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Re: Talking mimes and shoeless clowns

Post by TehSteveo » #278131

I always tell people that you can bully them but lynching them is too far.
Freedom
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #278133

if you really have to ask, yeah there's a policy; don't do it; rule 1. stop going out of your way to mess with someone's round over small petty things.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #278144

J_Madison wrote:if you really have to ask, yeah there's a policy; don't do it; rule 1. stop going out of your way to mess with someone's round over small petty things.
Doesn't hold true in all cases. What is the point of a mime if they just talk? Clowns I care less about but why go clown just to powergame? Go take a normal role if you want that.

On that note, Grandmaster Honk is a grey shit clown from my experience as a player. Don't know if they changed (this is off topic anyways) but I remember having to deal with them trying to steal all access with tool belt and gloves every round as clown which is a waste of my time when I have to spend the first 15 minutes dealing with him all the time as security.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278150

As stated, they aren't valid because validhunting is fucking stupid, but if you wanna mess around with them go nuts

This is assuming you aren't taking someone out of the round because they dared to not have squeaky shoes or whatever
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bob Dobbington
Byond Username: Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #278151

Talking mimes are absolutely disgusting and should be valid both for balance reasons (talking mimes still heal brute damage with nothing so even a talking mime starts with a force 10 weapon that heals them) and because stopping the IC consequences of such filthy heresy would devalue the effort that other mime players put into the role. Shoeless clowns don't need to be valid because the shoes are a lot less fundamental to what a clown is than not talking is to what a mime is. Being a mime is a more serious commitment than being a clown. Honk.
Game Admin for /tg/station. I usually play Daisy Holmes, the botanist.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #278153

Why not just make clown shoes cursed and mimes spawn without tongues
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #278154

Idgaf about clowns without shoes but talking mimes disgust me
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #278160

Finally, some surgery practice for MDs!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #278164

Tongue removals for mimes are the best
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #278168

Clowns without shoes deserve the lynch
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278176

Why don't we just have actual punishments for mimes speaking/remove the ability to speak entirely instead of encouraging valids

seriously fuck the entire concept of valids
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bob Dobbington
Byond Username: Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #278181

Qbopper wrote:Why don't we just have actual punishments for mimes speaking/remove the ability to speak entirely
I'm not convinced that a vow you literally can't break because either the code prevents you from breaking it or because you will get banned if you do break it is worth much as an IC vow. This isn't a situation where admins or coders need to force players to behave a certain way. Not every nonantag source of IC conflict needs to be met with a ban or fun-removing code "solution."
instead of encouraging valids seriously fuck the entire concept of valids
Okay, I'll bite. Why is "the entire concept of valids" bad? Surely it is good for our bosses, the players, to know when they won't be banned for IC violence? Or when they will? Should we have rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty?
Game Admin for /tg/station. I usually play Daisy Holmes, the botanist.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #278189

imagine wanting to valid a mime or a clown for doing something that doesn't affect you in any way at all
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #278190

imagine not wanting to valid a mime or a clown for doing something that doesn't affect you in any way at all
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #278201

Bob Dobbington wrote:
Qbopper wrote:instead of encouraging valids seriously fuck the entire concept of valids
Okay, I'll bite. Why is "the entire concept of valids" bad? Surely it is good for our bosses, the players, to know when they won't be banned for IC violence? Or when they will? Should we have rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty?
Really don't want to turn this into another one of those threads but look at it from this angle. We have several players whose entire play experience is framed by coming into contact with other playing and smashing that F1 button to ask "Is X valid?" or "Can I murder X now?" If your entire mentality going into a round is "finally, I can make this sprite turn 90 degrees" there are a lot more interesting and robust combat simulators out there. Valids and validseeking turns a roleplaying game into Random Deathmatch where you're only allowed to actually kill when preconditions are met. If that's what we're after we might as well dispose with jobs, ranks, and departments and just spawn in a thunderdome every round.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #278212

TehSteveo wrote:I always tell people that you can bully them but lynching them is too far.
J_Madison wrote:if you really have to ask, yeah there's a policy; don't do it; rule 1. stop going out of your way to mess with someone's round over small petty things.
come on
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.