Security and Security Levels

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Security and Security Levels

Post by cedarbridge » #282771

As we have it currently, all rounds (except extended I think?) default to blue. Blue functionally allows law enforcement but only in the cases where there's obvious antag activity or law breaking. Code green only exists as a means of delaying a shuttle that could already have been recalled in the same way. Blue's stuck in a limbo land where there is a "threat" but they're not allowed to do anything about it until it jumps them in a maint tunnel. The only way for security to step up its game under this scheme is to go to code Red and doing so only ever happens if the heads are trying to rush a shuttle call. The additional security protocols from Red and Delta functionally never matter apart from delta justifying summary executions for idiots getting in the way of stopping the AI/nuke.

I suggest that levels and defaults be adjusted to set Green as the station default in all cases and roundtypes and make moving to Code Blue require slightly more probable cause than "but the command report says so." Any head of staff can move the code up from green to blue as soon as a threat to the station has been identified. Heads would be discouraged from raising this level for no good reason. This way, instead of being told "here's a vague letter, you're on a sort of vague alert but don't do anything about it now!" the station just proceeds normally until a threat is identified and command personally acts to raise the alert level and warn the crew.

This also takes some of the emphasis off from our current "random searches in blue" policy because moving to blue denotes a purposeful probable cause so searches related to that cause would be per se reasonable and justified. You still can't just set up a roadblock and stripsearch everyone in the halls looking for cult goods in blue, but you would still be empowered to search wherever or whatever motivated the raise to blue in the first place.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Security and Security Levels

Post by D&B » #282774

Same
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #282776

IC
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #282780

>blankposting memes
go to the ntr hut cedar and take repukan with you, maybe you two can chat about moonlighting with fwosh there

for security code levels, green, blue, red, delta etc

They have very little relevancy to admin decisions. Admins can't expect every round to have two alive heads who are competent enough to be alive and also communicate and swipe (at all or for the right reason). Admins do expect players to act reasonably on the information that they have. Code Red for example, could be part of the information a player has on a situation, where the player also knows a cult exists and has been growing quite possibly relatively unchecked. However, knowing that there is a snowballing cult is more justifcation for an extreme action than knowing it is code red.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282786

imblyings wrote:>blankposting memes
go to the ntr hut cedar and take repukan with you, maybe you two can chat about moonlighting with fwosh there
Accidentally hit this laptop's mouse too many times trying to set up the post and it blankposted. You guys were just faster shitposting than I was in fixing it with the intended content.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #282796

>we shitpost faster than you can fix a post

;^3c
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #282799

I like it
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #282800

How many security threads can we keep active at once in the policy board?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #282801

Kor wrote:How many security threads can we keep active at once in the policy board?
All of them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #282822

Kor wrote:How many security threads can we keep active at once in the policy board?
x + 1, x being "the threshold of threads to piss off kor"

I think this would be a nice change, and maybe make alert levels a little more relevant - it doesn't need to affect admin enforcement or anything, it's just a little change that (imo) makes more sense IC
Limey wrote:its too late.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #283275

The alert lvl shouldn't have an impact on the shuttle timer.

Now that is the only thing alert levels are used for is fast or delayed shuttle calls.

Then let the alert level be changed by just one person with the required access. That way it might actually be used like an actual alert level.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #283302

Security level being a hand in decisions from administration seem silly and they should probably get the "mindshield implant" treatment of being made explicitly clear there's no forced roleplay connotation behind them.

The threat you're up against should be how you base your actions, not some arbitrary level that can go down with a click of a button.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #283309

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Security level being a hand in decisions from administration seem silly and they should probably get the "mindshield implant" treatment of being made explicitly clear there's no forced roleplay connotation behind them.

The threat you're up against should be how you base your actions, not some arbitrary level that can go down with a click of a button.
It's mostly really just the random search clause that factors into admin decisions. You can't search for just purely no reason roundstart.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #283318

PKPenguin321 wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Security level being a hand in decisions from administration seem silly and they should probably get the "mindshield implant" treatment of being made explicitly clear there's no forced roleplay connotation behind them.

It's mostly really just the random search clause that factors into admin decisions. You can't search for just purely no reason roundstart.
I'd argue that any form of truly random searching is subpar regardless of the situation. There should be at least SOMETHING that makes you suspicious of someone before acting on it outside of known rev where you send everyone to the cargotration camp to be implanted or killed.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #283322

Literally only total dickhead shitters ever randomly search anyone anyways. Random search was always just a way to look in the bags of people you were suspicious of without having to tell them it is because you were suspicious of them. Sec will almost always have something better to do with their time than conduct totally random searches.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #283430

Random searches are a good way to make everyone hate you. How many taser shots does the sec gun have? Not enough.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #283438

Green feels kinda pointless currently, and we allow enough metaknowledge that we don't need a BLUE ALERT centcomm warning to tell us that antags may be around. Having a lineral alert scale sounds nice, so you can see the station descend slowly into DEFCON 1 instead of only having ALL IS FINE and EVERYTHING IS FUCKED CALL THE SHUTTLE.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #283471

Wyzack wrote:Literally only total dickhead imperfect people playing an imperfect game ever randomly search anyone anyways. Random search was always just a way to look in the bags of people you were suspicious of without having to tell them it is because you were suspicious of them. Sec will almost always have something better to do with their time than conduct totally random searches.
This tbh. I rarely if ever truly random search, there's always a reason behind it, even if it's a small one.

Anyways, on topic, the alert level has no effect on my actions and shouldn't on anyone else's. It's a good excuse for my actions if an admin bwoinks me, although I usually have a better reason than that to be killing someone. The amount the station is fucked/situation the officer is in should be taken into account more than anything else, especially alert level. On a rev round if someone gets all access and lowers it to green are you going to say "wew threat's gone put up the weapons and RP in the bar"? Fuck no, and I'm not going to decrease the shitcurity level either. Alert level should really have no effect on whether a person is banned or noted for their actions. If shit's fucked and an officer randomly searches a suspicious individual on code green then let him do it. If it's code red but the heads just did it roundstart and an officer lasers someone to death because he looked at him funny, you should probably give the officer a good talking to.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?