Chekov's guns

J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Chekov's guns

Post by J_Madison » #285433

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun
"Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."[3][4]
"One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep." Chekhov, letter to Aleksandr Semenovich Lazarev (pseudonym of A. S. Gruzinsky), 1 November 1889.[5][6][7] Here the "gun" is a monologue that Chekhov deemed superfluous and unrelated to the rest of the play.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there." From Gurlyand's Reminiscences of A. P. Chekhov, in Teatr i iskusstvo 1904, No. 28, 11 July, p. 521.[8]
Discuss the paradox of Chekovs gun policy and their fair use here.

We have Chekov's guns lying around every round, but their relavence is questionable since we can't use them without breaking rules.

Should we follow this principle and start purging unnecessary and irrelevant elements?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Chekov's guns

Post by bandit » #285439

Chekhov's gun applies to plays which only have a couple props, not to open world video games, your argument is invalid
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #285442

shallow argument which is for the most part inapplicable to the shitfest that is space station 13
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
danno

Post by danno » #285444

eg. the gun on the wall might not be used during one shift but in a different one, situations would be different and might lead up to firing the gun

a play is a set story, unchanged despite every performance of it. ss13 is not.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #285457

what the fuck is jmad even saying lmao should we remove all weapons on extended should there only be ion rifles if the ai is rogue what is he even saying
danno

Post by danno » #285460

the gun is a metaphor you dumb rock
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #285465

This was one of the dumbest threads I've read and it just started
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #285468

I understand the concept of a chekov's gun but not in the context of ss13

are you implying we should remove any elements that can be used to do anything bad

are you implying we should remove features that don't see use in every round

I genuinely don't know
Limey wrote:its too late.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #285482

J_Madison wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun
"Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."[3][4]
"One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep." Chekhov, letter to Aleksandr Semenovich Lazarev (pseudonym of A. S. Gruzinsky), 1 November 1889.[5][6][7] Here the "gun" is a monologue that Chekhov deemed superfluous and unrelated to the rest of the play.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there." From Gurlyand's Reminiscences of A. P. Chekhov, in Teatr i iskusstvo 1904, No. 28, 11 July, p. 521.[8]
Discuss the paradox of Chekovs gun policy and their fair use here.

We have Chekov's guns lying around every round, but their relavence is questionable since we can't use them without breaking rules.

Should we follow this principle and start purging unnecessary and irrelevant elements?
This is way too vague. I get that we don't like being too specific in policy discussion so it doesn't come off like a ban appeal/request, but this feels like you've gone too far the other way.

If you mean the station being intentionally imperfectly designed and those design flaws being exploited later on, that's part of the game, not policy

I have no idea what you want to be done or are even asking about policy-wise, you get one post to clarify this that will decide if this thread gets the lock
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: