Round chances

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Round chances

Post by oranges » #301164

we should reduce rev and gang and clockcult and cult chances so it's like both only take up one of the previous, as they're basically the same mode types
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Round chances

Post by Nilons » #301166

oranges speaks the truth, too high a chance of conversion rounds
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #301169

We should separate ling and traitor and give ling and extended half and half of the chance removed from those modes.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301180

D&B wrote:We should separate ling and traitor and give ling and extended half and half of the chance removed from those modes.
solo ling is absolutely garbage, believe me we tried it
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #301183

We had solo ling not so long ago, it really does not go well by itself.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #301292

This appears to be the current Gamemode Odds (On bagil).

Traitorchan and Traitor together as, (In my opinion, as they are what i believe are considered most "common".) "Traditional" gamemodes. Being a 39.6% Chance.
Cult, Clockwork Cult, Gang, and Revolution being "Conversion" modes, together make up a 30.1% Chance of the round type being a Conversion/Crew Conflict gamemode.
Blob, Wizard, and Nuclear essentially being "Crew Objective" gamemodes, making up a 28.3% Chance.
Finally, Extended having a pitiful 1.9% Chance.

There is a 37.8% gap Between Conversion and Traditional/Crew Objective Gamemodes. Making it atleast a 1/3 probability. Conversion modes are quite common as there are four, and some already complain it can be too common.

"Conversion" Gamemodes seemingly being designed around creating conflict and chaos, allowing players to let off steam and generally break everything and lynch some unfortunate players in the process. Or winding up being a TDM.
"Traditional" Gamemodes are seemingly designed around smaller bouts of conflict, Often being unpredictable.
"Crew Objective" Gamemodes seemingly being designed around the crew working together to defeat a common goal, it can range from relaxing to stressful depending on the crew/antag's competence.
Extended being the Gamemode intended to give people a break and time to relax/do things. Some do genuinely enjoy the break from chaos, however short and uncommon it may be. Even if many might not.

I feel that there should probably be smaller percentage chances in regards to "Conversion" gamemodes, as Oranges says. To account for the fact that it has four "Chances" so to say, against the other five. Making it fairly common. (Extended doesn't count right now, let's face it.). Perhaps there could be better round type probabilities regarding each mode to be discussed in order to balance it out, at some point.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #301301

ShadowDimentio wrote:Blob: Increase, it's fun and doesn't happen enough.
Traitorchan: Remove. Changeling is still cancer and until you bring back parasting and remove immortality it always will be.
Double agents: It's fine but should be lowered as it's just traitor with more kill objectives.
Traitor: Increase slightly reflecting the traitorchan removal.
Clockcuck: Switch odds with regular cult, as it's worse. Remove it, we've tried it for a year and it still isn't good.
Cult: See above Increase slightly.
Extended: Reintroduce, changed to a event mode with much more frequent events
Nuke: Fine.
Rev: Fine.
Wizard: Increase with blob, it doesn't happen ei nuff
Ayy: Bring it back it was fun.
Gang: Good riddance to bad gamemodes I say I dunno, leave it alone.
Meteor: The event gamemode suggested would basically be meteor but more interesting, keep it removed.
Monkey: Get these garbage memes outta here
Changeling: If this ever comes back without parasting I'll kill myself
Rangin Mages: Should come back, wizard never comes up ei nuff.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #301368

I say drop both cults from 7.5% to a 5% if we're keeping clock cult, and give the extra 5% percentage to plain traitor.

and fucking keep raging mages off rotation ew
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #301416

How big will shadowling percentages be?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #301425

100%.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #301427

Keep in mind that team modes dont really happen in lowpop, so the less active hours are mostly traitor after traitor.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #301465

leibniz wrote:Keep in mind that team modes dont really happen in lowpop, so the less active hours are mostly traitor after traitor.
This is something that makes me wonder if we should have slightly different percentages for Sybil since it's lower pop the majority of the time

there's probably a few good reasons not to but I'm just throwing that out there
Limey wrote:its too late.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #301486

I still say malf should be its own mode again, it will be a break from the monotony of conversion rounds
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #301488

It might make it easier to deal with the AI shock-bolting every door and flooding the station instead of that plus other traitors, but I don't remember why it got nuked in the first place
Limey wrote:its too late.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #301489

I haven't seen much player disapproval regarding clockcult from players except for the loud outcry from a small cohort of maybe 9 or 10 people who seem to really dislike it.
Overall, the playerbase seems to be ambivalent about it and I don't really see the need to remove it.
As far as MALF becoming a distinct roundtype, I somewhat support the idea but I think that it would require some tweaking before it would be fleshed out enougg to stand on its own.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #301491

It stood on its own for years.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #301505

It never stood on its own. It was extended and then 8m of getting fucked because you didn't metagame the AI being malf.

>AI goes Delta
>Bolts your door and disables power
>Comms down
>Spend the rest of the round questioning why this mode is in rotation

Also is this really a policy discussion? MSO put up a poll so we can hopefully have some actual evidence of what people prefer instead of this absolute meme of a discussion.

While we're meme'ing though the only mode that needs to be reduced is Wizard, put that shit at 3.5% and give it to blood cult because fuck you thats why.

Traitor/Tling is the mainstay mode and is weighted fine. We already get 2-4 consecutive traitor rounds on a regular basis and the traitor and ling meta have grown stale as fuck. You can easily go through dozens of traitor rounds without having anything memorable happen. 2 traitors didn't know they were traitors, 3 quietly did an objective that nobody cares and then played like they weren't even traitors, 5 will be hostile with the same traitor weapons that have seen used since I started playing in 2010. Only rarely will you encounter a traitor who does things in a way that is novel or interesting. Traitorling is the plainest of rounds, it will rarely give you an "OH YEA THAT WAS GREAT!" experience - especially as a nonantag, but it will rarely end up being an utter shit round either. Team rounds are higher risk, higher reward - forcing teams means you have a greater chance for ineptitude to scale up and produce an utterly shit experience but teams also means you have conflicts and experiences that would never be possible in a solo antag mode. As someone who still actually plays this damn game I heavily favor the latter - thats what gives the game longetivity.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #301510

Except that team antags take over rounds rather than drive them. The core gameplay should be expanded on and improved rather than having half the rounds just be variations on deathmatches
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #301533

bandit wrote:It stood on its own for years.

It stood on its own until the game became such that it couldn't, and it remains unable to. It doesn't have to be malf that changed for it to not stand on its own
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #301553

captain sawrge wrote:Except that team antags take over rounds rather than drive them. The core gameplay should be expanded on and improved rather than having half the rounds just be variations on deathmatches
Except every job comes back to the ultimate question of "how does it help me stop the antags?" or "how do I leverage this position as an antag?"

We are not Bay, we cannot sustain rounds purely on the creative magical juices of our players to create their own novel rounds. It's not impossible but even with extended at ~2%, when it rolls up there's nothing fun or collaborative rolled out. Nobody wants to make a station's wide rollercoaster with disposals or send out a massive Lavaland expedition, I can only imagine what would happen if we had extended set higher and what little gimmicks people do have saved up for a long round get tapped out.

So for SS13 its always been about striking the right balance. Giving the round enough conflicts so that science and mining have people to their toys on, for medical to have a reason to exist, for security to have actual enemies of the station to contend with. Thats why I prefer cult over any other "not-traitor" mode because the cult cannot routinely resort to mass destruction, it has to try and grow slowly and secretly, but theres still enough of a slow boil conflict going to everyone to have a part to play. If the cult is winning then in the closing act their presence will dominate the round and eclipse normal gameplay but thats the whole point/theme.

The popularity of WAROPS is basically living proof that people don't mind a team antag mode that completely upends the round as long as its in moderation and reasonably well balanced.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301592

leibniz wrote:Keep in mind that team modes dont really happen in lowpop, so the less active hours are mostly traitor after traitor.
This explains why lowpop is so enjoyable to me really
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301594

Oldman Robustin wrote:Also is this really a policy discussion?
Yes? Cult clockcult and gang and rev are so fucking similar that they may as well all be the same mode, so they need adjusting so there's less of them one after another
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #301598

I'm not sure if it's truly policy discussion. Yet, weightings can be adjusted by server key holders; generally reserved for headmins to set course on so we shall leave it be for now so they can see said discussion.
Freedom
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301599

what the fuck? how is this not policy discussion? the round type weightings are explicitly server fucking policy
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #301602

oranges wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:Also is this really a policy discussion?
Yes? Cult clockcult and gang and rev are so fucking similar that they may as well all be the same mode, so they need adjusting so there's less of them one after another
These four modes are vastly more different than traitor and traitorchan which have decently higher odds of getting rolled.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301603

you've managed to say nothing and still form a sentence, well done
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #301604

oranges wrote:what the fuck? how is this not policy discussion? the round type weightings are explicitly server fucking policy
It's more that the boards are about rules and administration. Yet, weightings fall under head administration, but it's little odd as it's more server discussion because we're talking obviously game modes which usually got put in general or the like. It's more semantics than anything from me. As I said I'm not gonna do anything to the thread as this would be the best place to get headmin attention...maybe.
Freedom
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #301605

Your argument was those 4 rounds are too similar and should be lowered. My rebuttal was traitor and traitorchan are the exact same modes except one also has lings and have higher odds than the sum of the 4 you were complaining about being too similar and happening too often.

It wasn't that complicated of an argument.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301626

ShadowDimentio wrote:Your argument was those 4 rounds are too similar and should be lowered. My rebuttal was traitor and traitorchan are the exact same modes except one also has lings and have higher odds than the sum of the 4 you were complaining about being too similar and happening too often.

It wasn't that complicated of an argument.
My argument is partly that traitor and traitorchan are also more enjoyable and hence should enjoy a larger pro-proportion of round rolls
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #301637

That's your opinion, I'd take a round of cult over traitor any day.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #301927

I think we could do without 15% chance of a cult round. 5% each would probably be cool.
--Crocodillo

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #301930

More traitor, more shadowling, no clock cult, less blood cult, no gang, slightly more blob, more ragin bullshit mages, more wizard, more traitorling
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #301948

Armhulen wrote:More traitor, more shadowling, no clock cult, less blood cult, no gang, slightly more blob, more ragin bullshit mages, more wizard, more traitorling
You were doing so well and then I read the fourth word of your post
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #301949

captain sawrge wrote:
Armhulen wrote:More traitor, more shadowling, no clock cult, less blood cult, no gang, slightly more blob, more ragin bullshit mages, more wizard, more traitorling
You were doing so well and then I read the fourth word of your post
a vote against sling is a vote against god
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #302111

This thread is fine to have here since I server config basically falls under administrative policy technically

Hard to act on the opinions listed in this thread since there's not much of a general consensus to work with
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #302116

Remove ling when?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #302118

More seriously. Can we lower traitorchan to NOT be the highest chance game mode in the game?

At least swap its % role with traitor. 22% to roll traitorchan gets old fast.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #302146

I want at the bare minimum the traitorchan chances slashed and given to wizard and blob, they're objectively more fun.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #302184

Changeling should have gone a direction other than regenerating near unfindable traitor ages ago congrats Cheridan you killed everything interesting about it.
Traitor is just a better mode than changeling chan by virtue of traitors not being a clumsy copy eked out under the thumb of "no progression antags but I have no ideas either!"

I would like more blobs and wizards but people would revolt, if they want a mix of mostly group modes and traitor let them have it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #302255

Oldman Robustin wrote: We are not Bay, we cannot sustain rounds purely on the creative magical juices of our players to create their own novel rounds.
I don't like that Oldman is right, but he is. We have spent years catering to the people who enjoy killing and the purely mechanical side of things, most of the "creative roleplay" types have been driven out by now.

It's a bit late to realize we want to go back when the playerbase that would have enjoyed it is gone.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #302258

Unless you're going to start enforcing some higher level of roleplay, then there's no going back.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #302259

Also the admins/coders/forum posters are pretty disconnected from the general playerbase at this point. For example, 50% of the people responding on github want to remove clock cult and the forums always has plenty of bitching about it, but the server poll says:

http://ss13.eu/tgdb/tg/ingamepolls.php#p169

And I think any conversion mode right now would probably poll as high or higher in approval.

So the big question is whether we graciously step aside and adapt and let the new generation of players have their indie game jam rotation of various death matches or try and drastically reverse course, ignoring votes and making lots of people mad in the process. Feels wrong to be replaced in your own game/community but it also feels wrong to tell a large group of people to stop having fun wrong.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #302262

Or make a second server with a different rule set and different mechanics.

Or just stay the course.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #302268

That's irony considering the devs and admins are exactly the people that aren't those creative roleplay, or those that promote longer more wholesome rounds.

The admins and devs are the opposite of that. They're powergamers, greytidèrs, and generally unfun and unforgiving egotistical players.

Shit rolls downhill. If a player doesn't have one memorable wholesome round they participated in, what makes you think they'll be different as admins?
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #302278

Steelpoint wrote:Or make a second server with a different rule set and different mechanics.

Or just stay the course.
yeah just fucking
split population in half
that's a great plan

a terrific plan
best plan you;ve ever had
that parts not sarcasm because it doesnt touch sec
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #302296

Haevacht wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Or make a second server with a different rule set and different mechanics.

Or just stay the course.
yeah just fucking
split population in half
that's a great plan

a terrific plan
best plan you;ve ever had
that parts not sarcasm because it doesnt touch sec
The server has tons of people on at one time, splitting it in half wouldn't actually be so bad except you won't be able to beat your murderbone high score because there's less people. I honestly don't even think that many hubbies would want to go to the "roleplay" server which is ironic since thats what bagil originally was. So you'll probably see the server have very low pop most of the time, around 20 people or so.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #302328

And the "Remove Gang" vote, in two different polls, has been hovering around 12%.

Yet in IRC you'd swear there's only a couple players who want to keep it around.

The only thing surprising about the Clock Cult vote was that more people wanted it gone relative to Gang War, but maybe if the Gang War vote had fewer options some of the "reduce its chance" votes would've shifted to remove (also the GW vote was finished before anyone even played a round with the new influence system and weapons).

I also don't think its so much about "the playerbase is changing!" than it is realizing things have always been this way. Since 2012 I cannot recall a time where extended produced anything other than what it does today: Boredom, braindeads, and restlessness among most of the crew. During those earlier years extended was basically "Rage Cage mode" since if players couldn't fight antags then the only option left is to fight one another. Now the only difference is that since it gets broadcasted the crew realizes if they turn the whole station into a rage cage (aka rioting and greytiding) they can get the round to end faster.

I don't hold it against our players either. Conflict has always been one of the best vehicles for telling stories, that doesn't mean the conflict has to be THE story, there are stories of survival, turnabouts, catastrophes, alliances, deceptions, etc. that are all more than just "Player X made Player Y permanently horizontal". It's not just our server either, when I played on Goon in 2010 there was no abundance of natural roleplaying that occurred in the absence of antags, just silence, boredom, AFK's, and people yelling in OOC for an admin to make something happen.

Our server continues to grow and we continue to outperform other comparable servers. The only server that's surpassed us is the not-technically-SS13, Colonial Marines, which despite its stricter RP rules is still just an asymmetric team deathmatch/conversion mode that is more focused on the conflict of the round than the vast majority of our modes. How many people do you think would play on CM if it was just players sitting on the Sulaco or whatever its called now and shooting the shit for a couple hours? It doesn't mean we have to vanquish the players who prefer that sort of thing, its great to accommodate as many people as we can without making significant sacrifices to everyone else's gameplay, but there's far too much of this elitist attitude among coders/maintainers that the more RP-focused players are simply better people and we should discount the views of the filthy masses since wanting conflict and excitement in your video games just makes you less of a person.

Edit: lol @ splitting the servers. Bagil was our "RP" server for years and it did what RP servers tend to do, become a creepy nest of metafriends and then die. 2016-2017 are the first years we've had where both servers are routinely at med-high pop and its because we stopped trying to make Bagil a special snowflake. You try to pull it off with a 3rd server but I guarantee that you'd see more success with a 3rd server just by putting it on the hub, letting our players intermingle while introducing some blood, then running it just like our first 2.

Edit2: I think its silly to try and break this down into "generations".
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #302330

People enjoy conversion modes because they are the only rounds they get to do anything difficult or interesting. It's gonna stay that way till its consistently interesting or a challenge even as a nonantag in extended.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #302453

Oldman Robustin wrote: I also don't think its so much about "the playerbase is changing!" than it is realizing things have always been this way. Since 2012 I cannot recall a time where extended produced anything other than what it does today: Boredom, braindeads, and restlessness among most of the crew. During those earlier years extended was basically "Rage Cage mode" since if players couldn't fight antags then the only option left is to fight one another. Now the only difference is that since it gets broadcasted the crew realizes if they turn the whole station into a rage cage (aka rioting and committing minor IC crimes) they can get the round to end faster.
he's right
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #302517

We should just set up round type voting exactly like we do map voting so that instead of being arbitrarily set by a human and needing to get tweaked very few months when people get sick of X or Y mode, we can get the roundtypes that the people currently online actually want to play
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.