Mass Antag Checking

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Mass Antag Checking

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303336

This is a very annoying topic because it basically blocks a large amount of game development on antagonists, conversion modes & new modes on the basis that security will have to be removed like how the recent gang war pr: Hell March actually removed security from the station entirely to just avoid this, and antag deputised everyone else.

It basically entails that security autocratically sets and arrests everyone on a assumption most of the time after meta-confirming the round, then usually tases everyone who rolls by the brig to implant. Its not fun for anybody and its a strategy that strangles both sides from conflict or development as its just easier for security to block off new converts and go loud killing the "actual antagonists."
> Proposed rule : "You are not allowed to mass arrest random members of the station crew unwillingly ((without them co-operating)) without actionable evidence against each person below red alert ((as to give antagonists fair warning they are being hunted))

Spoiler:
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Mass Antag Checking

Post by Nilons » #303337

Yeah but the reason security has to play that way is because the antags are too strong after a certain point. So what you're proposing is to just fuck security over and make them unfun to play because they lose every round.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303339

If security gets fucked by not being meta, have you thought that maybe the antagonists are too powercrept. Its a pendulum effect right now where we swing between the two maxima's with security being bullshit too strong mass antag checking/mass executing, or failing in security and the antagonists doing too well and snowballing as you describe.

It takes a push of the conditions in the round to go eitherway, but we should actually stop how sharply they reach 1-100 (if one side is blatently rolling the other, that's the round but there is such a thing as TOO forceful)

Image]

For reference.

Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #303340

what were you on when you made this thread

what is your real purpose, fwoosh
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #303351

plausible deniable

I wasn't mass arresting sir, I just felt it was necessary to arrest this random guy for looking suspicious and implant him because someone at roundstart yelled viva and got gulagged.

I wasn't random implanting sir, I just felt it was necessary to keep a tracking implant on someone who decided to disarm and slap me twice.

Hey I didn't know it was Rev, or the person I implanted was actually a ling.

Luck is when opportunity and careful planning meet.

I carefully planned to eenie meenie minie moe catch an antag by it's toe, and an opportunity to test came.
So I took it.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #303365

From an RP perspective, if it is code blue then sec doesnt even need a reason to search you.

But yeah, antags are a bit too strong at the moment, you have to meta somewhat as sec to just survive to roleplay.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303378

Most security would not know evidence linking to a crime if it bit them on the ass. The whole meta of security is nothing but fallible assumption that exaggerates those suspicions to a zenith as a 'paint with the same brush' approach to just "win" the round.

Under the rule you'd get warned for ban-baiting J_mad arresting fnr during a conversion round, i did not at any point say suspicion, i said evidence. Everyone involved has defensible privacy rights on code blue/green, but sec still needs to do their job. You can't just arrest people lingering outside the brig for being there, and the evidence relies on beforehand rather than post search.

Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #303379

Then I'd be contesting the ban as the writer of the detective and a warden guide on the ground I know evidence.

It doesn't even have to brush past me, hell it doesn't even have to make eye contact.

I don't arrest FNR, I arrest because a certain tattle tale isn't punished for shouting "viva" at roundstart.
I arrest because you stashed your ID, started wearing a disguise, stole the soap and the medkit.

I can arrest you for loitering outside of my brig. Why are you outside of my brig in the first place acting all suspicious?

My evidence is why your ass is outside of my brig without an ID on, or why you're trying to tailgate an officer in, or why you're disguised and rolling probable cause outside the brig.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #303386

hmmmmm it's kind of like conversion antags are bad, and force people into bad, unfun situations
that aren't fun

hmmmm
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #303389

You know danno, that's what haunts me the most when I play sec.

He didn't ask to be a Rev, or a cultist. Someone else forced him to be. Someone forced him against his will to be one.

They had a job, they had a round, they joined the round and wanted to do something.

And they've been forced not to. Make it worse they're forced to do something else.

And now I've got them in cuffs, I'm forcing time away from them, and I'm forcing them to comply with every word I say.

The game would be a nicer place if the cultist flat out told me the poor chemist I've waterboarded with holy water wasn't a cultist. Or I should execute him instead of the innocent scientist.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #303392

Not implanting people is just unworkable as sec.

If you have the implants I see no reason not to implant everyone you can get.

If they aren't a rev now they will be one shortly, since all it takes is getting flashed once.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #303414

J_Madison wrote:You know danno, that's what haunts me the most when I play sec.

He didn't ask to be a Rev, or a cultist. Someone else forced him to be. Someone forced him against his will to be one.

They had a job, they had a round, they joined the round and wanted to do something.

And they've been forced not to. Make it worse they're forced to do something else.

And now I've got them in cuffs, I'm forcing time away from them, and I'm forcing them to comply with every word I say.

The game would be a nicer place if the cultist flat out told me the poor chemist I've waterboarded with holy water wasn't a cultist. Or I should execute him instead of the innocent scientist.
jmad you can turn off being some antags
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #303419

Nilons cant read confirmed
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #303421

confused rock wrote:Nilons cant read confirmed
rock hasnt played ss13 and doesnt know you can deconvert people who didnt start out cultist or rev confirmed
Signature Memes

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #303422

Mass implanting isn't even antag checking per definition.

it is more "let's prevent everyone from becoming one in the first place"
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303426

CPTANT wrote:Mass implanting isn't even antag checking per definition.

By definition of checking if they fall over and shoot out a line in chat saying they have been deconverted is a pretty valid check, even without evidence which is the issue im trying to press when sec actively pursues people fnr doing their daily business to tase and cuff them, drag back to the brig and undergo in the forceful implant.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #303456

Nilons wrote:
rock hasnt played ss13 and doesnt know you can deconvert people who didnt start out cultist or rev confirmed
Seems like you don't know that you can deconvert starting cultists.
Hm.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #303458

FantasticFwoosh wrote:

By definition of checking if they fall over and shoot out a line in chat saying they have been deconverted is a pretty valid check, even without evidence which is the issue im trying to press when sec actively pursues people fnr doing their daily business to tase and cuff them, drag back to the brig and undergo in the forceful implant.
Or you can stop proposing to cripple security even harder because antags failed to get good.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #303503

it's almost as if you should try and get away from security if you have contraband or stash it or you might face the consequences.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Sven12
Byond Username: Exalted12

Post by Sven12 » #303514

Why the fuck do these cops keep arresting and implanting random people, they didn't do anything illegal!

He says during red alert, while security and heads of staff are being axe murdered in the hallways by lynch mobs that are indistinguishable from normal crew.

Yeah clearly some metagaming going on here.
Sven Brunner, Beheader of Personnel, CKey: Exalted12
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #303518

kevinz000 wrote:
Nilons wrote:
Seems like you don't know that you can deconvert starting cultists.
Hm.
the jig is fucking up i dont really play this game
Signature Memes

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303536

kevinz000 wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:

Or you can stop proposing to cripple security even harder because antags failed to get good.
If they fail to get good, then they'll flop around and leave behind evidence, or just plainly get slipped up called out and then security can deal with the real cabal of antagonists, distancing out the game and making it longer is the summary objective for both sides rather than determining a clear outcome by 10 minute mark, given how fast cults can take root.

> Revolutions are easy to spot, there are alternative ways to tackle it, and people who do not want to be converted (basic rules dont run into antags, so its either prepare to defend yourself OR come to brig for getting implanted) don't have to be. Sec smashes revs with predjudice as often happens.

> Cults are more difficult, and also recently have become very very fast in how they play so really desperately need to be nerfed.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #303542

Fwoosh you can whine about metagamecurity ruining the conversion antags when it's not necessary to do so to survive the round and maybe, just maybe, save the station.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #303563

This is fine.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303597

kevinz000 wrote:Fwoosh you can whine about metagamecurity ruining the conversion antags when it's not necessary to do so to survive the round and maybe, just maybe, save the station.
Im sorry i forgot you need to win as security Mekhi. Win by ultimately shutting down the round to a forgone conclusion with directionless mindshield imlpants at total random for the slightest of offences and buckshot bullets applied lethally to the skull before the antagonists do, hence why the whole thing needs to be looked at again if thats not what is wanted.

> Just leave on the shuttle, the only agreeable forgone conclusion that antagonists can actually disrupt.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #303612

Why does Jmad make every security thread about his actions when he plays sec? Can he please be jobbanned
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #303638

You are right fwoosh. They should let themselves get killed so the cult can have fun
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303650

The other half of the coin is that coders have explicitly made it a case where they need to push the fastest round resolution to stop security bluntly steamrolling them with the applied shakedown tactics of just working through the haystack.

If security is not a risk cults will get nerfed and re-prioritized to longer more invested gameplay where bases etc will matter substantially more than who has the most powerful XYZ tool availible to end the round. Ghost roles bringing the dead into the round (be it clock posibrains, shades *and constructs* or blood rune ghosts) are there as rush tactics to this extent to force the equilibrium while security has no such reinforcements without deputising folks.

Spoiler:
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #304114

In real life, if there's a mutiny, would the station security really believe that urist mcgreyshirt is innocent and has privacy protections? If the entire station is mutinying, then mass arrests would be the logical solution.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #304236

I think this largely boils down to our issue of playing an antag is generally viewed upon as more fun than playing as a non-antag so for everyone except security and the chaplain, the crew doesnt care about whichever snowball convert mode we have.
We could fix this by making antags less fun (bad idea)
Or by making non-antag more fun to play as.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #304313

let me explain, that because of this snowballing, security is encouraged to begin mass antag checking asap.
kor is right in that its not fun to fight against cults, because they snowball too much.