Crew behaviour during conversion modes

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Crew behaviour during conversion modes

Post by CPTANT » #322718

So one thing I noticed is that during conversion modes some people will basically just run towards you in the hopes of getting converted.

It seems to be a bit of a fundamental flaw in conversion modes that being an antag is a lot more fun and rewarding than staying part of the unconverted crew.

Why would I want to be part of the side that has to adhere to server rules when I can just join the side that doesn't?

So what are your thoughts on people that do this and the more general supposed role of the crew during conversion modes?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Crew behaviour during conversion modes

Post by Qbopper » #322721

selfantagging is against the rules with basically everything else, so I don't see how this isn't also breaking the rules
Limey wrote:its too late.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #322722

Qbopper wrote:selfantagging is against the rules with basically everything else, so I don't see how this isn't also breaking the rules
It is quite rampant and almost completely unenforceable

"ohw its rev, I will just go slowly walk around the main corridors until I am converted"

"Ohw whoops, I "incidently" stepped onto a conversion rune, silly me"

"who knew hugging people that are spraying graffiti would get you converted?"
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #322735

If someone runs up to you during a cult round and asks to be converted you're in the clear to kill and cremate them.

I've gotten the ok on that before from other admins.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #322746

D&B wrote:If someone runs up to you during a cult round and asks to be converted you're in the clear to kill and cremate them.

Ohw yeah I've done that. But those are only the most blatant cases.

Usually it is a lot more passive, things like hanging out in obvious antag area's doing nothing, not running away after someone fails to flash them, not shouting for help when they obviously have the chance etc, etc.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #322752

Loyalist crew:

Gets indefinitely detained by security without being allowed to fight back

Gets murdered by antags

Watches their workplace gets trashed/round is too chaotic to do anything civillian

Antag:

Gets to actually play and have fun

There is really no place for loyal crew gamepaly wise except as fodder to slow down security when they start mass searching and a place to draw recruits from so of course nobody wants to play it and are a little lax in their efforts to avoid actually participating in the mode.
D&B

Post by D&B » #322760

CPTANT wrote:
D&B wrote:If someone runs up to you during a cult round and asks to be converted you're in the clear to kill and cremate them.

Ohw yeah I've done that. But those are only the most blatant cases.

Usually it is a lot more passive, things like hanging out in obvious antag area's doing nothing, not running away after someone fails to flash them, not shouting for help when they obviously have the chance etc, etc.
Ahelp it if you notice.

I remember this shit being more prevalent with clock cult introduction.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #322761

Everything kor posts is cynical as fuck and only paints every situation as the least fun and most shit for the crew at all times
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #322762

This is why we must remove all conversion gamemodes
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #322763

I do not think its cynical to understand players are seeking to have fun and participate rather than writing them all off as malicious rulebreakers.

I am pretty cynical about conversion modes in general though
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #322765

NikNakFlak wrote:Everything kor posts is cynical as fuck and only paints every situation as the least fun and most shit for the crew at all times
Do you disagree with him or

What are loyal crew supposed to do in these modes? If you ignore them you're just setting yourself up to get dragged into one side or another (or killed by them) or otherwise lose out on whatever progress you made on your job prematurely due to the antags ending the round or things becoming too focused on the cult for anything else to properly function.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #322767

I feel like if we're gonna enforce passively attempting to get converted we should also enforce doing absolutely nothing as a revolutionary. Rev rounds have been kinda sucky and boring lately because noone wants to do anything as a rev and sec is still going turbohitler. I've had multiple rev rounds lately where I'm the only one doing anything as a rev or I'm security, walk into a group of revs, tase one and run with him, and they don't even try stopping me.

But yeah both of those should be enforced but they really can't be, what're you gonna do, bwoink them and say "hey stop walking around the hall to get converted or ill ban you"

editted to say this: I do like conversion based modes providing variety- doing your job every round can get boring, this adds variety to the game and should be kept.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #322768

BeeSting12 wrote:I feel like if we're gonna enforce passively attempting to get converted we should also enforce doing absolutely nothing as a revolutionary. Rev rounds have been kinda sucky and boring lately because noone wants to do anything as a rev and sec is still going turbohitler. I've had multiple rev rounds lately where I'm the only one doing anything as a rev or I'm security, walk into a group of revs, tase one and run with him, and they don't even try stopping me.

But yeah both of those should be enforced but they really can't be, what're you gonna do, bwoink them and say "hey stop walking around the hall to get converted or ill ban you"
It's really difficult to enforce this kind of behavior, yeah. It's hard enough to catch that realistically monitoring and enforcing it wouldn't be realistic
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #322776

NikNakFlak wrote:Everything kor posts is cynical as fuck and only paints every situation as the least fun and most shit for the crew at all times
it is cynical as fuck and true.
I personally don't care about which side I'm on as it's still fun but my mindset conflicts with the majority.
The majority don't like security or being security/loyalist.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #322777

you aren't wrong, but neither is he
CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:selfantagging is against the rules with basically everything else, so I don't see how this isn't also breaking the rules
It is quite rampant and almost completely unenforceable

"ohw its rev, I will just go slowly walk around the main corridors until I am converted"

"Ohw whoops, I "incidently" stepped onto a conversion rune, silly me"

"who knew hugging people that are spraying graffiti would get you converted?"
yeah, this can be a problem - if you think you see it happening please ahelp it, not much can be done about it on the forums
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #322781

The only solution to this is to make conversion suck for the converted, which really isn't our dilemma admin-wise.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #322782

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:The only solution to this is to make conversion suck for the converted, which really isn't our dilemma admin-wise.
Or make it not suck to remain a loyalist?

actually some flavor text indicating that you have "lost" when you are converted would probably already influence people's behaviour (of course the hardcore shits don't care).
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #322789

Replace the round end antag list with the round end loyalist list along with wording the end so instead of a conversion-antag win it's a loyalist lost.

Otherwise I'm not sure how to achieve that without making it obvious it's a conversion mode.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #322790

kevinz000 wrote:
it is cynical as fuck and true.
I personally don't care about which side I'm on as it's still fun but my mindset conflicts with the majority.
The majority don't like security or being security/loyalist.
Yeah, I pretty much have this mindset- I don't care what side I'm on, but I attempt to stay on it. I've robusted revheads that fucked up converting me as an unimplanted crewmember. On conversion based rounds, I join up with security because I enjoy antagging and security gameplay equally.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
D&B

Post by D&B » #322791

I team up with sec because I like the gas masks they have.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #322795

You can disarm a revhead of his flash and use it to throw him into space
The consequence for failure is getting to have fun throwing spears at people

Don't hate the player, hate the game
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #322805

Right the problem is being loyal sucks sometimes because sometimes security will be dipshits who abuse them
On the other hand no revhead is going to abuse a rev who is helping.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #322876

Going to conversion antags like cult bases and verbally asking for antag or whatever is something I have shouted at people for doing in the past. Ahelp it when you see it.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #322881

Isn't the rule to at least make an effort?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #322929

The problem with ahelping it is unless it's dead fucking blatant (which a lot of players still fail to hide) then it's very hard to prove.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #322932

Conversion modes are anti rp prove me wrong
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #322942

Can't prove the truth wrong
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323016

TheColdTurtle wrote:Conversion modes are anti rp prove me wrong
well of course they are

even if you have knowledge of the mechanics IC you're still going to get shit on for daring to talk to people instead of being the first one to knock the other over
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #323145

TheColdTurtle wrote:Conversion modes are anti rp prove me wrong
On a low RP server, what is the purpose of a revolution if every greyshit can procure themselves any luxury the station provides?
On said go-getter station, what is the purpose of organized crime if no monetary system exists and no substance or recreational activity is outlawed?
In this commie utopia where social mobility has caused everyone to gain perfect knowledge of everything, forever, how naive must a god be to believe their dark words have any value?

Power is all that matters now. You kept joking how this game was all about making other player avatars horizontal so much, you started believing it. You meme'd yourselves.
Last edited by Iatots on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
D&B

Post by D&B » #323146

No Gods or Kings, only man.
Spoiler:
fuck you