Mutantrace Discussion

Kiryuuin

Mutantrace Discussion

Post by Kiryuuin » #26580

There is some discussion that is needed over the subject of alternate races being enabled with the September 1, 2014 update.

How will the mutant races interact with the AI?

Will mutant races retain their buffs/debuffs?

How will assuming the identity of a crewmember who is a different race than you work?

Will any more mutant races be introduced/will the feature even stay enabled?

These are all just general talking points to get us started, and I'm sure there are many other things that can be discussed.
Mandurrrh

Re: Mutantrace Discussion

Post by Mandurrrh » #26583

Mutant races are being added? Which ones?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #26584

Human and Lizard are the only ones available right now
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #26586

Ikarrus wrote:Human and Lizard are the only ones available right now

Ahh I thought we were about to go full bay code.

Which I'd kind of be okay with on the second server. I've been playing on vg to switch it up because bay is a little slow for my taste and its nice with the different coding styles and races even.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #26592

There will definitely need to be discussion on mutantraces and their relation to the AI. These aliens are not human, thus are not afforded the protections under its lawset. However, there is already a policy stating that a nonhuman is protected under the AIs lawsets so long as it remains friendly. The moment it breaks a law or is hostile it loses its rights.

Personally, if a species gains a small buff it must also suffer from a small debuff. Humans are the baseline and gain no advantage, but they don't suffer from any disadvantage.

*EDIT*
Also, to go with our servers limited lore, I think non-humans should be restricted from any command/security role. Maybe regulated to civilian jobs only?
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #26595

to go with the limited lore, NT wouldn't give a flying fuck as long as they were unhinged enough to take the job in the first place.

the crew, on the other hand...
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #26600

I think the current silicon policy addresses alternate races just fine; Dont fuck with them unless they become a problem.
/vg/station Head Admin
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #26606

Rule 1, just don't be a jerk to other /tg/ players who are playing lizard characters without a valid reason (like them trying to murder you).
RIP
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #26636

Hibbles wrote:Rule 1, just don't be a jerk to other /tg/ players who are playing lizard characters without a valid reason (like them trying to murder you).
Does this mean no intergalactic racism?

I want to be a lizardman who can't get any job other than janitor from the discriminatory HoP
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #26638

Moving this to the policy discussion, seems more relevant there really.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #26639

Stickymayhem wrote:
Does this mean no intergalactic racism?

I want to be a lizardman who can't get any job other than janitor from the discriminatory HoP
Wouldn't that be hard to moderate? Firstly /tg/ does not allow racism (afaik) in the first place.

Then how do you differentiate between a Lizard player just wanting a job change, and a Lizard player wanting to roleplay the discriminated guy?

Either Lizard people are by default discriminated against (When it comes to job prospects), or they are not. I do think it would be interesting to limit Lizardmen to civilian jobs and see if a charismatic lizardman can work their way to a high level job.
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #26641

I was under the impression that lizards were the 'mexicans' of the station, the under-appreciated workers that everyone shits on.
If we're going for realism then it is perfectly acceptable that humanity absorbed or murdered every other species they encountered so that they could be employed as workers with no rights, because fuckyeah humanity.
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26643

It's cool as long as you can randomly abuse lizards.

I mean, come on. What other purpose would it serve?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #26644

Discrimination would serve a purpose for game balance too. Lizard man security and heads would absolutely suck for traitors hoping to covertly kill and replace them.

I think it would be cool if they had some small brute or toxin resistance to compensate.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26646

After playing as lizard captain, I think that lizards add quite fun interactions that are potentially gonna worsen greytiding, that lizards look better than humans and that their ears look like cat ears.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #26659

I would strongly recommend not putting any policy into effect for a week or two of mutantraces being enabled. Anything done in haste will result in policy designed to combat problems that will only be present in the initial frenzy of activity. Things will calm down and the novelty of space racism will wear off.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #26741

I think the racism is fine. So long as its kept verbal and done in good fun. Actually killing a Lizardman because you feel they are valid is shitty and shouldnt be allowed.

I asked on the server yesterday and the admins said that Non-human races are covered by Law 1 until they attempt to harm humans. Sounds just fine to me.

Dont really like Lizardmen(They talk funny) but things seem to be going well since they were added. The worst ive seen so far is the AI bolting a mob of them into the Holodeck and burning them to death. Everyone took it well though, so whatever.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #26768

Alex Crimson wrote:I think the racism is fine. So long as its kept verbal and done in good fun. Actually killing a Lizardman because you feel they are valid is shitty and shouldnt be allowed.

I asked on the server yesterday and the admins said that Non-human races are covered by Law 1 until they attempt to harm humans. Sounds just fine to me.

Dont really like Lizardmen(They talk funny) but things seem to be going well since they were added. The worst ive seen so far is the AI bolting a mob of them into the Holodeck and burning them to death. Everyone took it well though, so whatever.
That was also an antag AI and got a little "Literally Hitler" trophy at its satellite for the act.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #26795

They would be fine as nonhuman, just covered under rule 1 so people cant fuck them up for no reason.

Then when the snowflake hits someone and the AI starts purging them all it would be hilarious.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #26923

Only thing I'd like is for everyone to stop losing their shit over the lizards. Every round devolves into a race war essentially.

There was one round where I was HoP where there was the ALM (Anti-Lizard Movement) and the LDL (Lizard Defense League) where the lizards had gotten weapon permits and tasers to defend themselves from racist ALMers (there were peaceful protests, etc). This was fun...once.

Now every round involves a bajillion head messages about lizards, people are screaming about lizards and almost always the AI ends up with a law being uploaded that has to do with lizards. I get that people are excited for a new change, but this seriously needs to simmer down to a point where the existence of lizards doesn't end up defining every single round.
Aurx

Post by Aurx » #26925

QuartzCrystal wrote:Only thing I'd like is for everyone to stop losing their shit over the lizards. Every round devolves into a race war essentially.

There was one round where I was HoP where there was the ALM (Anti-Lizard Movement) and the LDL (Lizard Defense League) where the lizards had gotten weapon permits and tasers to defend themselves from racist ALMers (there were peaceful protests, etc). This was fun...once.

Now every round involves a bajillion head messages about lizards, people are screaming about lizards and almost always the AI ends up with a law being uploaded that has to do with lizards. I get that people are excited for a new change, but this seriously needs to simmer down to a point where the existence of lizards doesn't end up defining every single round.
It'll cool down pretty quickly.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26988

QuartzCrystal wrote:Only thing I'd like is for everyone to stop losing their shit over the lizards. Every round devolves into a race war essentially.

Isn't that the purpose of adding a new race that is exactly the same in every other way?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #27284

Reminder: The lizards can always be toggled off if its felt they're not adding anything to the game.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27287

To be honest, they really aren't. The space racism thing is kinda neat, but when a lizardman can sign up as a captain or any other high position on roundstart, people acting racist, even if it is in good RP sense, comes off as really one-dimensional.

We will get tripped up on AI policy a lot though. That's one thing that will be added.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27289

How would you guys feel about barring lizards from heads and security, then? :)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27297

Ikarrus wrote:How would you guys feel about barring lizards from heads and security, then? :)
I think this would be a great tweak.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #27298

Yes. Specism.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #27303

Ikarrus wrote:How would you guys feel about barring lizards from heads and security, then? :)
This would be cool. That or leaving CE, CMO and RD still selectable as lizardperson as they are less important roles.
Aurx

Post by Aurx » #27307

Stickymayhem wrote:
This would be cool. That or leaving CE, CMO and RD still selectable as lizardperson as they are less important roles.
>Chief Engineer
>less important
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27311

I didn't actually believe anyone would be behind it, but yeah I'll see what I can do.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27313

Ikarrus wrote:I didn't actually believe anyone would be behind it, but yeah I'll see what I can do.
Well it makes sense from a roleplay perspective and would certainly distinguish tg-station from other servers that have multiple playable species.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #27333

IT also doesn't mean that a dirty lizard can't Uncle-Tom enough to usurp one of those positions legally in the middle of a round as well.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27334

Actually a race traitor lizardman would be a really cool gimmick.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #27344

I don't know whether this goes in the silicon policy thread or here but it's almost always about mutantraces when it comes up, so:

- AI is Asimov.
- Captain (or RD or HoP or whatever I guess) wants to pre-emptively stop the AI from fucking with lizardpeople.
- Captain uploads a freeform law: "Lizardpeople are human."

Every time this has happened, some joker is like "You do realize that this law 4 technically nonhumans the rest of the station, right?" I don't see how it would, because the law says nothing about the humanity status of anyone else but lizardpeople. Uploading "Ian is human" doesn't make Ian the only human, same logic. But it comes up often enough that I'd like an official ruling on it.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #27345

bandit wrote:I don't know whether this goes in the silicon policy thread or here but it's almost always about mutantraces when it comes up, so:

- AI is Asimov.
- Captain (or RD or HoP or whatever I guess) wants to pre-emptively stop the AI from fucking with lizardpeople.

Every time this has happened, some joker is like "You do realize that this law 4 technically nonhumans the rest of the station, right?" I don't see how it would, because the law says nothing about the humanity status of anyone else but lizardpeople. Uploading "Ian is human" doesn't make Ian the only human, same logic. But it comes up often enough that I'd like an official ruling on it.
people who say it makes the rest of the crew nonhuman are dumb

the law doesn't specifically state that ONLY lizard people are nonhuman, ergo the AI could (depending on their interpretation, mind you) maintain the human status of the rest of the crew.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27381

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #27410

Come on, lizards in command roles is so much better. One of the greatest lizard rounds I had was with me being lizard captain.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27450

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Come on, lizards in command roles is so much better. One of the greatest lizard rounds I had was with me being lizard captain.
How? What does this add?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #27470

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Come on, lizards in command roles is so much better. One of the greatest lizard rounds I had was with me being lizard captain.
How? What does this add?
Lizards were nobles and humans were peasants. So good.

Restricting it, on the other hand, does nothing but enforce roleplay via code. Which is not needed at all.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27475

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:
How? What does this add?

Restricting it, on the other hand, does nothing but enforce roleplay via code. Which is not needed at all.
I'm just of the opinion that keeping the server distinct from others is a good idea, and lots of roleplay aspects are enforced via code. I see no problem with solidifying a general roleplay trend that has been around on our server for basically as long as it's been around.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #27487

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:
How? What does this add?

I'm just of the opinion that keeping the server distinct from others is a good idea, and lots of roleplay aspects are enforced via code. I see no problem with solidifying a general roleplay trend that has been around on our server for basically as long as it's been around.
http://baystation12.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9632
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #27489

Personally I think that in such as Human dominated society, that the usage of non-humans in command roles would be heavily looked down upon. Not saying it would be impossible, but think of it more akin to a woman in a CEO/high level position 60 years ago. Rare as hell, looked down upon and had to work significantly harder to attain such a position.

I think that non-humans should be restricted from playing in any command or security role for the time being.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #27508

There is literally nothing here that suggests anything of the sort. We don't have a background or anything. It's just for the long time you could not pick anything other than humans.

What point is there in restricting it anyway?
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27511

If you've been played at all for the past week or so, you would notice that there is widespread racism against lizardpeople. Why not encourage interesting RP scenarios because of that? Plus, you know, it makes sense IC wise.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27514

Baystation also has 6 different species options, and are significantly heavier in the RP (notice how they heavily discourage as opposed to code it in).

Also, lizard folk have been in the game for a long ass time, basically any time someone was made into a lizard person by admins they would face persecution and sometimes entire rounds would become a big ol' speciesist hoopla just like recent rounds this week, it was pretty common until SoS outright banned admins from turning players into different species.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27523

Kangaraptor wrote:
bandit wrote:I don't know whether this goes in the silicon policy thread or here but it's almost always about mutantraces when it comes up, so:

- AI is Asimov.

people who say it makes the rest of the crew nonhuman are dumb

the law doesn't specifically state that ONLY lizard people are nonhuman, ergo the AI could (depending on their interpretation, mind you) maintain the human status of the rest of the crew.
This. The AI/borgs would have to be functionally illiterate to interpret a law that expands the definition of human to exclude the previously defined group.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27537

Code idea: I've noticed Ian barks near lizards. I'm sure this is just a coincidence but is it possible to code in that Ian is a spesiesist too?
Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #27586

I don't know if this is possible with BYOND code, but... Why not rather than ban lizards from command/sec, we weight the job selection to favour humans. It means that while yes, sometimes you'll have a lizard in a command role, it's not gonna happen as frequently as Aryan McMasterrace being captain.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #27601

Reimoo wrote:If you've been played at all for the past week or so, you would notice that there is widespread racism against lizardpeople. Why not encourage interesting RP scenarios because of that? Plus, you know, it makes sense IC wise.
Oh, cool. So you remove "captain and heads are lizards, let's rebel against lizard oppression" entirely and encourage... what, exactly?

This makes no fucking sense to me, at all.

Not to mention that this is potentially reducing number of head and security players, WHO WE ACTUALLY NEED
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #27606

Couldn't it be a system where if you are selected for a 'human only' role, you simply don't spawn in as a lizard?