Mass identity duplication

Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Mass identity duplication

Post by Arianya » #346023

I believe we had a thread on a similar issue a few months ago, where 9 people or the like would all call themselves the same or very proximate names and then cause havoc on the station, effectively banbaiting since inevitably one of them would get in trouble for this or that or the other and then a non-criminal "clone" would get arrested and kick a fuss.

Just to check, does the ruling from then (that its not kosher) apply to mass identity duplication via genetics?

We recently had a round where one person's appearance and name was issued out to a large number of people by genetics, leading to a lot of confusion and memery, especially as one such person ended up being a ling.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Re: Mass identity duplication

Post by captain sawrge » #346024

Fun round
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #346026

A fun gimmick.

Why do people keep wanting to regulate fun?
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #346028

As a one-off gimmick, I agree, but much like the similar/identical named people, it wears thin with overuse, which I suspect will happen here.

captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #346031

Arianya wrote:As a one-off gimmick, I agree, but much like the similar/identical named people, it wears thin with overuse, which I suspect will happen here.
Yeah pretty much if people abuse it I think it's worth starting to issue warnings or at least tell em to knock it off.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #346069

Its hard to believe that any group of 3 or more people just suddenly decide at once to share a name without some sort of metafriending/metacommunication.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #346072

It's possible with the changeling transform sting, we shouldn't punish the antag for that nor the victims.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #346073

BeeSting12 wrote:It's possible with the changeling transform sting, we shouldn't punish the antag for that nor the victims.
I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #346077

I imagine it all comes down to intent, method and result.

I've seen plenty of genetics gimmicks where the geneticist (or assistant working with them) will copy one UI onto everyone who wants it until half the crew is one person and that person makes a sort of gang/cult out of it. That can be entertaining for everyone but security.

On the other hand, if you're doing it by force or doing it to grief one particular person, yeah that likely comes under one of the rules. Antags can do whatever by their nature.

As for how security handles a identity duplication gimmick; it's basically the same as dealing with transformation sting changeling. Annoying but you can try to deduce the cause and put a stop to it. Make sure everyone wears their ID to help identity crewmembers by their former IDs. That sort of thing.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #346078

I've actually decided to join in and be part of one of these things before because it was hilariously funny in the moment.

I've even started exactly this meme before and had probably six or seven people join me by the end of the round, and I have no idea who any of them were.

This is an easy thing for people to pile on with together and I don't really see it happen that frequently, though it does have bursts of short-term frequency from time to time.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #346115

They'll stop when you arrest all the clones for the same crime and gulag them
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #346161

thot_slayer wrote:They'll stop when you arrest all the clones for the same crime and gulag them
This was my preferred approach but becomes difficult when both the HoS and Captain are also part of the gimmick

Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #346176

Arianya wrote:This was my preferred approach but becomes difficult when both the HoS and Captain are also part of the gimmick
Wasn't that mostly a antag gimmick anyway? I never went to medical that round so the only way someone got my DNA is through a ling sting early on. I was pretty sure the rest were transformation stung but I never saw it actually happen, just a lot of people complaining about becoming me. I assumed the Captain and HoS were victims to a prankster ling.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #346184

I was talking about the same round you were talking about, Arianya. They had their own IDs and Katty's name so I assumed that they were transform stung.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #346253

The one person I spoke to seemed to state it was genetics as opposed to a ling sting, but then a ling was also a geneticist at round end so who knows

Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #346254

As long as they're doing it with IC tools and not by creating characters with the same names, I think it falls under "gimmick"
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #346412

I've seen this gimmick a number of times, and I believe that as soon as people willingly participate in the gimmick and with the interests of their "collective", like they're that old multiverse antag, then they really should be pretty much valid.

Of course, key word being "willingly" - if they're just transformed, but they maintain their original identity by keeping their ID on and not using it as an excuse to act dumb, then it should be harmless. But an endless tide of the same bearded greytider causing trouble times twenty is something that gets tiring quick, and security shouldn't get in trouble with admins for intervening.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #346455

We do not need to legislate every fun gimmick possible in a round.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #346458

There's literally nothing covered in this thread that isn't already covered by the current rules.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #346480

stop doing shit in bad faith basically
Limey wrote:its too late.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #346488

>someone does something outside the norm that has been done before but not regularly
>admins you need to stop this shit!!

God be damned if the only thing we're allowed to do is stay in our department and work. Even these poomins know what's up.

Goofy shit is part of low-rp ss13, especially on tg. Go to bay if you want fun monitored.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #346502

It certainly happens from time to time and when it does the round tends to go to shit. It's funny but when it happens over and over it gets frustrating seeing the same gimmick done. It's fair to bring it up, it's not over-adminning or whatever

No need to chastise OP for asking for clarification

lolpillzispostinginfnrbwahahah
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #346522

captain sawrge wrote:It certainly happens from time to time and when it does the round tends to go to shit. It's funny but when it happens over and over it gets frustrating seeing the same gimmick done. It's fair to bring it up, it's not over-adminning or whatever

correct don't do it round after round but if it just happens sometimes that sounds like a ball or something

i'm gonna go with this
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #346529

If it start happening too much ahelp or call an ERT and they'll sort it out, otherwise go with the flow and have fun.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #346635

Instead of policing it OOCly, send a hitman with the objective to kill them.

If people are consenting to be the same identity I don't see what needs to be regulated. They understand they have a higher chance of being framed.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #346683

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:Instead of policing it OOCly, send a hitman with the objective to kill them.

If people are consenting to be the same identity I don't see what needs to be regulated. They understand they have a higher chance of being framed.
Im fine with it as a one round joke but keep doing. It and it becomes dumb
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #346710

Some day, I feel like a whole bunch of people are going to have the last name smith as their character and it's going to lead to me getting banned.

Do not let that happen oh god
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #347282

I remember the one time Johnathan Rigel was a huge murderbonery shit and so the next round three-quarters of the server signed up as an "extended family" of [name] Rigels.
That was probbably against the rules but it was funny.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #347284

> Jonathan Rigel

I didn't expect to see that name on /tg/
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #347288

Sligneris wrote: > Jonathan Rigel

I didn't expect to see that name on /tg/
Where does he play now? Used to always be around here.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #347310

Been on Bay back in 2015/2016, then Polaris in 2016/2017.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #347393

Giving a ninja an objective to kill the clone name sounds like a funny way to handle it as admins.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #347465

Unless players are setting their name to all be the same thing pre-game in the lobby there's literally nothing wrong with this
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #347466

PKPenguin321 wrote:Unless players are setting their name to all be the same thing pre-game in the lobby there's literally nothing wrong with this
Read the thread next time please!
Armhulen wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:It certainly happens from time to time and when it does the round tends to go to shit. It's funny but when it happens over and over it gets frustrating seeing the same gimmick done. It's fair to bring it up, it's not over-adminning or whatever

correct don't do it round after round but if it just happens sometimes that sounds like a ball or something

i'm gonna go with this
Armhulen wrote:
ExcessiveJMadison wrote:Instead of policing it OOCly, send a hitman with the objective to kill them.

Last edited by captain sawrge on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #347470

Armhulen wrote:

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #347488

Hey I remember that issue months ago.

Yeah it happened one round, then the next, then like three more after and that's when I came in and became the no fun police because good god do you guys know how to run a joke straight into the ground.
And it was all pre-round name changes too, not genetics/lings.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #347490

holy shit saegrimr is back