Admins and the consistency of their rulings

bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Admins and the consistency of their rulings

Post by bman » #347869

A big question, and what seems to be a problem for many players. Ruling consistency among admins.

Should it be there? Should it not? Discuss.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Admins and the consistency of their rulings

Post by D&B » #347870

Hi goof
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #347872

I can only see this thread going good places and not being used to shitstir.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #347875

Realistically we can't expect all of our admins to give the exact same rulings for each situation because it's volunteer and each one wants our server to go in a different direction

and
cedarbridge wrote:I can only see this thread going good places and not being used to shitstir.
but maybe i'm too cautious, lets see how this goes

should? probably yeah but that's impossible to achieve really
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #347877

We have over 40 different admins. Our rules are based on opinion much of the time- Don't be a dick can mean different things for different people, such as where the line is, and where we should start banning for rule one violations. You aren't going to get consistent rulings from 40 different people unless you write up rules for every tiny situation, which is impossible and would make the game stale if it was. We have headmins to overrule unfair admin rulings, and admin complaints/PMing the headmins to make a ban request when you think the admin made a ruling that didn't do enough action.

So yeah in a perfect world we'd have an automod that gives out 100% perfect rulings for everything but that's not happening.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #347880

There is consistency. There isn't complete consistency. Members of the admin team come from all sorts of player backgrounds and are volunteers who have to apply their own different experiences and sense of what is right and wrong to situations that are never the same.

We have checks and balances e.g. the ban appeals forum where players can civilly weigh in on bans where a fellow player is penalized, policy discussion forums where players occasionally partake in useful discussions on things, and finally a set of three headmins who ensure actions regardless of consistency are done with the servers best interests in mind.

Asking for complete consistency is stupid unless you want to donate six figures in USD to the server to hire and train professional admins.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #347883

imblyings wrote:There is consistency. There isn't complete consistency. Members of the admin team come from all sorts of player backgrounds and are volunteers who have to apply their own different experiences and sense of what is right and wrong to situations that are never the same.

We have checks and balances e.g. the ban appeals forum where players can civilly weigh in on bans where a fellow player is penalized, policy discussion forums where players occasionally partake in useful discussions on things, and finally a set of three headmins who ensure actions regardless of consistency are done with the servers best interests in mind.

Asking for complete consistency is stupid unless you want to donate six figures in USD to the server to hire and train professional admins.
My professional rate is $25 per hour. If you expect absolute consistency you'll have to establish a system where admins can on-the-fly compare ahelp issues to compendiums of prior rulings on similar subjects and come to a resolution on the spot based on that precedent. That's not going to happen without dedicating resources to something that nobody really wants.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #347889

Admins have a consistency somewhere between jello and slime mould. With heat their viscosity falls and they can flow easier, although this may irreversibly damage proteins and result in a long term loss of structure.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #347892

Well you have a set amount there, it's USD$25 per hour rounded up to the nearest hour, not including tax, superannuation contributions, insurance or other expenses. Senior admins will be charging higher rates, starting at USD$30 for admin trainers with extra rates if they are training candidates. Game masters and head admins will require a salary with bonuses for appeals arbitrated or policy discussions responded to.

We will also open ban requests again, with a normal 1-day ban starting from an introductory special price of USD$89.99.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #347894

where's my cut?
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #347899

right here in the pot of water, my freg friend
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #347901

imblyings wrote:Well you have a set amount there, it's USD$25 per hour rounded up to the nearest hour, not including tax, superannuation contributions, insurance or other expenses. Senior admins will be charging higher rates, starting at USD$30 for admin trainers with extra rates if they are training candidates. Game masters and head admins will require a salary with bonuses for appeals arbitrated or policy discussions responded to.

We will also open ban requests again, with a normal 1-day ban starting from an introductory special price of USD$89.99.
Make me admin trainer or you're fired
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #347912

well, owegno will be going on their long service leave, which will open up a spot
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #347917

then it's settled. Welcome aboard
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #347921

Consistent enough.

Appeal if not consistent with previous rulings.

Dullahans when.

/thread
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #347924

Arianya wrote:Consistent enough.

Appeal if not consistent with previous rulings.

Dullahans when.

/thread